General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you, or would you, file a complaint against someone in a race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-02 3:20 PM

User image

Subject: Have you, or would you, file a complaint against someone in a race?
Here is the situation. In this morning's race, it was stated that passing on the right during the bike could result in a DQ. Crossing the center line would have been extremely dangerous because it was an out and back course, and riders were coming back by this time. Someone (who had started two waves ahead of me) was hugging the center line and riding slowly. Twice I called out, "on your left". He didn't budge. Then I yelled, "hey you in the blue shirt, get out of the way!" He moved over, but not without letting loose a stream of obscenities that this forum would never let me repeat. I responded by calling him a gentleman (which I hope irritated him). I was really mad, though. He was deliberately blocking then became verbally abusive to the point of being threatening when I passed him.

I didn't report him, but I wonder if I made the wrong decision.

2014-08-02 3:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Have you, or would you, file a complaint against someone in a race?

I've never complained to the officials about another competitor.  The officials really can't do anything unless they actually witness an infraction.

IMHO, most rules offenders don't do so intentionally, it's out of their ignorance of the rules because they're too lazy/arrogant/stupid to take the time to learn them.

My best advice is to just let it go.  Not worth getting yourself upset about it.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2014-08-02 3:36 PM
2014-08-02 5:14 PM
in reply to: #5034193

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Have you, or would you, file a complaint against someone in a race?
Happens all the time especially in sprints. IMHO just let it go, sometimes people are newbies and they are not intentionally doing it but they don't understand the rules or etiquette.

Remember most of us do this for fun
2014-08-02 5:15 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I would have passed him on the right.

Let the fun begin..........

Someone who is blocking everyone else, deliberately or otherwise, is committing a penalty too. I guess I see it as an eye for an eye. DQ me if you wish but occasionally the officials (and participants) have to adjust to unusual situations.
2014-08-02 5:26 PM

User image

I've had reason to, but never have since I have learned to not let what others do bother me so long as it doesn't threaten me harm. For that? I would not have even thought of reporting it. And yeah, depending on speed and other circumstances , I may also have passed on the right and taken the chance.
2014-08-02 6:16 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

He didn't have headphones in did he?

If you did report him, at least the RD could politely remind him of the rules, and that could make him think again next time, or maybe he didn't actually know about that rule and he can learn it the hard way by getting grilled about it.

Edited by trijamie 2014-08-02 6:18 PM

2014-08-02 6:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
I see this in almost every race I do. I call out that I'm on the left. If the person moves great if not I say hold your line I'm passing on the right. I will not let this upset me. I race my race and let others race theirs. I'm there to have fun so I don't let others in my head. Last week at IMLP there was a guy doing the same thing. I think he couldn't believe that anyone could possibly be as fast as he was. Trust me I'm not fast. This guy turned himself inside out to prevent me from passing.
Kevin
2014-08-02 6:29 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2014-08-02 6:31 PM
2014-08-03 6:24 AM
in reply to: Fred D

As far as him being aware of the rules, this race does an excellent job of explaining the rules, not only sending out an athlete's guide with them, but holding a first-timers' meeting, having a pre-race meeting, and sending out a email with a bulletted list of major rules (such as passing on the right will get you DQ'd). However, considering that the announcer had to keep telling people before the race that headphones were an automatic DQ, I don't think most people paid attention.

As I have stated many times, I am a slow swimmer who, because of my AG and gender, almost always goes out int the last wave. However, I am fast on the bike, so I always pass a lot of people during the bike. There are multiple occasions in every race where I am blocked and have to chose between passing on the right or crossing the center line (which would have been extremely dangerous in this instance). I have just never faced that type of verbal abuse during a race before. It was at the level (and I doubt many men on this forum would understand) that men only use when threatening a woman with sexual violence. That was what was so upsetting about it.

Anyway, I didn't report it because I figured it would come down to an "I said, he said" thing, and that the race officials were very busy. Later in the course, I saw marshalls a few times, but by that point, the guy was miles behind.
2014-08-03 9:00 AM

Regular
Columbus
I thought about it a couple weeks ago, but decided not to. I actually saw a guy cut the run course - it was an out and back 5k. He was on his way out, I was on my way back and he literally just turned around in front of me and started going back (cutting about a mile off of the course). This probably wasn't the right decision, but I didn't say anything because I looked at his calf and he was 78 years old so I figured he might have a reason for not being able to run the whole course. I remembered his number and out of curiosity looked him up in the results; he was the only one in his age group and finished in the bottom 10 overall so just let it go. I still wonder if I should have said something to an official.
2014-08-03 9:55 AM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by happyscientist As far as him being aware of the rules, this race does an excellent job of explaining the rules, not only sending out an athlete's guide with them, but holding a first-timers' meeting, having a pre-race meeting, and sending out a email with a bulletted list of major rules (such as passing on the right will get you DQ'd). However, considering that the announcer had to keep telling people before the race that headphones were an automatic DQ, I don't think most people paid attention. 

Under USAT rules, passing on the right and wearing headphones are variable time penalties, not automatic DQ's, only on the third offense.

Mark

2014-08-03 4:44 PM

Veteran
I did just as all are advising at my race last weekend - called out 'behind you' to let her know i was there, then a second time to be sure she heard. she didn't move and there was plenty of room. in fact, there was no one but her and I so passed on the right, calling out, 'going right' --- she then snarled, "you cant pass on the right!" i thought of shouting back - 'if you know the rules, why aren't you following them and instead are blocking?! ....but it wasn't worth the effort or brain power to engage, and in fact, forgot about it until I saw your post - my energy was much better utilized focusing on what I could control. every race has one person who has the Lance disease, momentarily annoyed is the most you should spend on it otherwise you will spend a lot of races focusing on the fat heads rather than enjoying it.
2014-08-03 5:16 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

New user
Austin, Texas

Ha, you're all so calm and collected! I usually avoid confrontation but if I was in the same situation, and someone was giving me lip about either passing on the right or yelling "Hey You!", I'd give up a stern couple of words as I passed. Aint no reason for that crap

2014-08-03 5:18 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by happyscientist As far as him being aware of the rules, this race does an excellent job of explaining the rules, not only sending out an athlete's guide with them, but holding a first-timers' meeting, having a pre-race meeting, and sending out a email with a bulletted list of major rules (such as passing on the right will get you DQ'd). However, considering that the announcer had to keep telling people before the race that headphones were an automatic DQ, I don't think most people paid attention. 

Under USAT rules, passing on the right and wearing headphones are variable time penalties, not automatic DQ's, only on the third offense.

Mark

They made it very clear that they were aware of the rules but because of accidents in previous years decided that stronger measures were needed.
2014-08-03 5:57 PM
in reply to: #5034433

It's frustrating when you want to PR and slower bikers take up both right and left lanes. Esp. When screaming that your coming. I had to hit the brakes several times during my race today. I respect other riders by moving to the right when needed. Why can't they do the same??
2014-08-03 7:10 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by happyscientistIt was at the level (and I doubt many men on this forum would understand) that men only use when threatening a woman with sexual violence. That was what was so upsetting about it.

That is a little more information than your original post. If it went down as you state then yes, if I witnessed such on a race course the very least of things I would do is report it.

2014-08-03 7:40 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-03 9:01 PM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TankBoy
Originally posted by happyscientistIt was at the level (and I doubt many men on this forum would understand) that men only use when threatening a woman with sexual violence. That was what was so upsetting about it.

That is a little more information than your original post. If it went down as you state then yes, if I witnessed such on a race course the very least of things I would do is report it.

x2 if it was truly threatening language in the way you describe I would have reported it ASAP. 

2014-08-03 9:07 PM

Pro

Originally posted by TankBoy

Or.....you could just laugh at him....because it's so ridiculous.

No, I wouldn't turn him in.  You can't fix stupid.

2014-08-03 9:11 PM
in reply to: trijamie

Veteran
Originally posted by trijamie

Ha, you're all so calm and collected! I usually avoid confrontation but if I was in the same situation, and someone was giving me lip about either passing on the right or yelling "Hey You!", I'd give up a stern couple of words as I passed. Aint no reason for that crap

lol, perhaps if she would have done it at mile 3 on a shorter, flat course I might have shared some French. :-)
2014-08-03 10:51 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

Champion
MA

I use my stern Mom voice to tell folks to move right and it usually works. If it doesn't, then I add something to the effect you need to ride to the right per the rules so others can pass you safely.

It is annoying as heck and should not happen. I remember a Oly I did with rolling hills, same women on uphills would pass me and down hills I'd pass them back but they'd always block me and others. They did it maybe 6 times in a short distance.

I find it happens more at shorter races with lots of newbies. Even if they were told rules many different ways and times, they don't follow them.

I don't think there is a method of filing a complaint. But very poor sportsmanship may be something to share with RD or an official. They may talk with them but nothing like a DQ will happen.

I have asked a USAT ref this question what am I supposed to do when I'm blocked, and can't get around a biker without either going right or crossing yellow line. They didn't answer my question just repeated the rules but said they understood sometimes it is hard. I'm a slow swimmer and fast biker so I do lots of passing on the bike in races.

2014-08-04 7:27 AM
in reply to: KathyG

I have seen people do stupid things to prevent being passed on the bike, like the guy who launched into a standing climb like he was going for a KOM then had to put a foot down because he burned his legs out. I was still laughing at him at the end of the race. I have just never seen anyone get abusive like that.
2014-08-04 7:55 AM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by happyscientist

Mark

They made it very clear that they were aware of the rules but because of accidents in previous years decided that stronger measures were needed.

Did they actually DQ any folks for the discussed violations?  It's one thing to say you're going to have stricter rules and another thing to actually enforce them.

Mark

2014-08-04 8:06 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Originally posted by happyscientist

Mark

Did they actually DQ any folks for the discussed violations?  It's one thing to say you're going to have stricter rules and another thing to actually enforce them.

Mark

I have no idea if they DQ'd people. All I know is that they announced that they would. I tend to race my own race, and I don't look to see if anyone gets penalized or DQ'd after a race. I would rather have strict rules like this than the "we don't need no stinkin' rules" attitude that I have seen at some races, like the one that just let people ride their bikes into transition, because I do get annoyed when people endanger others.
2014-08-04 8:27 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by wannabefaster I would have passed him on the right. Let the fun begin.......... Someone who is blocking everyone else, deliberately or otherwise, is committing a penalty too. I guess I see it as an eye for an eye. DQ me if you wish but occasionally the officials (and participants) have to adjust to unusual situations.

I would have as well. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you, or would you, file a complaint against someone in a race? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

cant file under "race report" but...

Started by jimmy3993
Views: 870 Posts: 3

2012-12-27 8:20 PM The Chupacabra

Armstrong files Restraining Order suit against USADA Pages: 1 2

Started by cwpeters
Views: 4338 Posts: 40

2012-07-11 12:18 AM Left Brain

USADA files charges against Lance Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bryancd
Views: 13367 Posts: 186

2012-06-15 8:56 PM powerman

Copy someone's garmin file to your connect?

Started by tgrunnin
Views: 704 Posts: 3

2011-11-08 9:26 AM tgrunnin

just having fun vs achieving your full race potential Pages: 1 2

Started by Cardholic
Views: 1698 Posts: 29

2010-06-25 7:21 PM furiousferret
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 4
Coverage of the entire Mooseman Triathlon Festival with race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.