General Discussion Triathlon Talk » beginner triathlon plan for a year away? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-25 1:06 PM

Subject: beginner triathlon plan for a year away?
Hi guys,

I'm just getting into the triathlon life and had a couple questions. I'm planning on going for an olympic length triathlon by next spring (April/May) but don't know how to train for that since it's quite a ways away. I'm looking at the olympic 2x balanced plan and it looks doable but it only covers 20 weeks. Should I do the sprint 2x balanced and then the olympic one afterwards?

any advice would be appreciated
Robby

2014-08-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: yayitsrobby

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: beginner triathlon plan for a year away?
What's your background and base for each leg?
2014-08-25 1:22 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

I'm just starting so I don't have a base for each leg. I'm fairly active and am capable of doing each discipline lightly (not a race pace or anything). I think my goal would be to finish more than compete for my very first tri.
2014-08-25 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Doing a sprint plan, then an Olympic plan, isn't a bad idea.
Doing an actual sprint triathlon also wouldn't be a bad idea, and you also might consider doing a few running races (5k or 10k) and charity rides. All of those things will get you some experience racing, and you'll learn things, like how quickly you wear out at race pace, what you should eat before/ during a race,+ how nerves affect you, etc. Moreover, it's tough to stay motivated for a year without some mini-goals along the way.
Many of us were surprised at how tough swimming was when we started doing tris. Unless you're regularly swimming laps now, or swam competitively as a youth, it might take quite a bit of time to work up to the swimming distance.
2014-08-25 1:40 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Welcome to BT!

I would start now with running.  If you have no running background, begin with a "couch-to-5K" program like you can find on this site.  Bascially, you want to VERY GRADUALLY begin allowing your body to adapt to the pounding of running.  If you are "fairly active" and starting at a "healthy weight", you may eventually be able to adapt a SLIGHTLY more aggressive running program but it is extra important with running to go go slow & steady with building volume because there is much more chance of overuse injury than in the other two sports. 

And, if you have no swimming background, I would also start swimming now.   Get some lessons, if possible, ASAP.  Swimming is the most difficult sport to pick up from scratch because your speed and effort is much more 'technique'-limited vs. 'fitness'-limited.  Many people who feel they are in good shape, feel 'gassed' after swimming 25 or 50m in the pool the first time.  It may take 6-8 weeks of regular trips to the pool to be able to start swimming 1000m+ without a stop.  And many more weeks of regular swimming to get reasonably proficient at it.

Unless you are uncomfortable on the bike, I'd pick that up as you have extra time or as you get a little more comfortable with the running & swimming.  It generally requires the least amount of work to get through your first tri (though will become the bulk of your training time if you decide to stick with the sport).

2014-08-25 8:25 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Yeah, I would say hold off on doing a plan until after the first of the year. Between now and then, I'd say pick one sport and work on it..

2014-08-25 11:22 PM
in reply to: #5043389

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
x2 on the swimming sooner rather than later!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » beginner triathlon plan for a year away? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman plans - Intermediate vs beginner silver 20 week plan

Started by ballyard7
Views: 1393 Posts: 5

2009-04-14 2:31 PM mrbbrad

beginner HIM plan not for beginners? Pages: 1 2

Started by fsr402
Views: 2109 Posts: 32

2009-04-07 10:03 PM aquagirl

Beginner to nutcase in under a year :)

Started by mpk
Views: 723 Posts: 8

2007-12-03 4:51 PM coachese

Beginner Half IM for 2nd year

Started by pborough
Views: 642 Posts: 3

2007-02-09 10:36 AM pborough

training plan for ironman 10.5 months away

Started by nathaliemonique
Views: 977 Posts: 6

2006-09-01 7:38 AM prof40
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
Triathletes share stories of losing weight, improving health, making new friends, relieving stress and beating addictions

date : December 31, 2011
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : February 3, 2011
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : January 1, 2011
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.
date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.