Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where did all the BTers go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-08-28 1:29 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Where did all the BTers go?

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by chirunner134
Originally posted by Rogillio I think it was my fault. I had this crazy notion that triathlons were a way to have fun swimming, biking and running and people were over-thinking things. This really rubbed people the wrong way and they accused me of endangering lives! Hmmph, so much for my attempt to weed out the gene pool! So, f-it, I just I quit posting before I killed more people and ruined more lives.
Not sure how you endangered lives.
I posted once that I biked 75 miles with just one bottle of water and no fuel to explore limits of my body. That one statement probably killed dozens of beginners who didn't know any better and would try the same thing....or so I was told. Another time I supposed that one could train their body to burn fat by training with less calories than you needed......I was made to sit in a corner with a dunce cap on for a week one. People would post their college degree and their certified trainer certificate while announing I was a danger to all that was good and decent in the world today. And one time I tried to save lives and I said people were idiots for intentionally biking in the rain becasue the roads were slick and visibility was low and stopping distances of the cars was less....and I was told that you had to train for all race conditiontion (even if it meant risking your life!). Go figure! Lot of good memories..... :-)

You'll never go Pro.

2015-08-28 5:50 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Interesting thread...  I usually don't go backwards much in a thread but got through all three pages of posts...

• I don't think it was the redesign - or at least I'm so used to the new one that I'm fine with it.  Maybe it initially drove people away, but I don't think it's still making a difference.  you are used to it and stayed, hated it or left, and the new people don't know any different.
  • I don't think it was the loss of chat.  I didn't get used THAT much.
  • I think social groups are fluid.  You get that perfect storm of personalities and it booms.  A few people leave and it's not the same so others leave.  Other way happens as well.  A couple fresh people come and people are drawn in and it picks up again.
  • I personally got burned out of triathlon after years of it.  If I'm not doing it, I don't really feel the need to talk about it.  I do CROSSFIT now (I'm obligated to mention that - it's part of the crossfit bylaws to talk about it if you  join a "box" - they copied the IM bylaws that says you have to talk about IM if you have done one or are training for one).  I feel like a bit of a fraud talking about triathlon when I don't do it anymore.  Not that I forgot what I still think is reasonable advice base on experience - still valid.
  • I didn't realize until I left, but I was tired of meaningless arguments with people that just want to argue.  I realize they could walk away and not think about it but I would stew about it.  My fault, of course.  But once I took myself out of all the negativity/argumentative environment?  It's been awesome.  I don't need people bashing me or the group I "belonged" to.  Man, I'm just trying to enjoy life and let people enjoys theirs.  Conversations online end up being WAY more uncivilized (even with TAN rules) than face to face.  COJ and even TT just stressed me out on some level when it got into a debate.
  • I pretty much got out of social media in general.  I love watching my FB page and seeing pictures and people's general goings-ons (and Tom's airplane, military, and kitty pictures - which pretty much dominates my wall - he's prolific with the plane and kitty pics) but I don't post much or get into arguments or political issues.
  • There has been a huge loss of a lot of wisdom on the site.  Part of Item 2 above.  Good people draw good/more people - when they leave, so do others.
  • Things just get played out.  I used to meet every Sunday with the same group of guys to watch football.  As people's lives changed, or had other obligations, it just died out - circle of life I suppose.  Things can't stay popular forever.
  • I realized that no one wants to listen the ramblings of an old man (me) anyway.  I also realize MYSELF that most of what I say isn't important  - it's just chatter to be social.  No real significance.

I hope that the people that are still here get as much out of BT as I did.  It was amazing during MY glory days/golden age.  I hope others feel the same now.

I also hope that Ron and the other mentors still get the joy and pride they once did for starting this site and continuing it.

SO, carry on BT.  As you were.

2015-08-28 6:11 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Still here, mainly because I like the training log feature-- better than a notebook and it's not (or doesn't have to be) connected to some kind of expensive electronics that I have to purchase. Not a high-tech person. Also, ST doesn't load well here for some reason. The few times I have managed to go there, just didn't really like the vibe. To each his/her own. I don't really care that there's less traffic here; if there's nothing interesting, I have plenty of other things to do. Aside from checking in with a few people I know and logging, I mainly read/post when I'm bored. It's still a good source of info, not necessarily always correct but at least to know what other people do/think. Maybe I'm in an unusual situation here as there are really almost no resources to get advice/help from a more experienced triathlete in person.

What would drive me away is snarkiness. When someone posts a serious inquiry, particularly a newbie who hasn't been on the site/in the sport long enough to know it's a hot-button topic (flip turns, strength training, etc.) the "pass the popcorn" thing is a BIG turn-off. I'm sure I've offended someone by saying that. Whatever--won't be the first time, or the last. (Getting off soapbox now and going running. Maybe I'll even lift some weights. Will definitely do some flip turns later.)
2015-08-29 7:31 AM
in reply to: #5136662

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
I think the Mentor forum has leached a TON of COJ traffic. Just my opinion.
2015-08-29 12:43 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Expert

Very interesting thread- I've been noticing the decline over the last few years and it does make me a little sad.  I joined May of 2004 so I've been on a long time.  I never was a huge poster (as you can tell by my thread count) but really enjoyed the advice.  I did lose a bit of taste for COJ (and then political COJ) when things really started getting nasty, but don't think that's the whole story.  I also haven't done tris this year because of injury and busy-ness, but I really like the log and I also like to be able to look back, so I stay .

2015-08-29 7:56 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Hot Runner Still here, mainly because I like the training log feature-- better than a notebook and it's not (or doesn't have to be) connected to some kind of expensive electronics that I have to purchase. Not a high-tech person. Also, ST doesn't load well here for some reason. The few times I have managed to go there, just didn't really like the vibe. To each his/her own. I don't really care that there's less traffic here; if there's nothing interesting, I have plenty of other things to do. Aside from checking in with a few people I know and logging, I mainly read/post when I'm bored. It's still a good source of info, not necessarily always correct but at least to know what other people do/think. Maybe I'm in an unusual situation here as there are really almost no resources to get advice/help from a more experienced triathlete in person. What would drive me away is snarkiness. When someone posts a serious inquiry, particularly a newbie who hasn't been on the site/in the sport long enough to know it's a hot-button topic (flip turns, strength training, etc.) the "pass the popcorn" thing is a BIG turn-off. I'm sure I've offended someone by saying that. Whatever--won't be the first time, or the last. (Getting off soapbox now and going running. Maybe I'll even lift some weights. Will definitely do some flip turns later.)

My snarkiness, really wants to post a popcorn eating animated smiley right now.  lol

2015-08-29 9:00 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Hot Runner Still here, mainly because I like the training log feature-- better than a notebook and it's not (or doesn't have to be) connected to some kind of expensive electronics that I have to purchase. Not a high-tech person. Also, ST doesn't load well here for some reason. The few times I have managed to go there, just didn't really like the vibe. To each his/her own. I don't really care that there's less traffic here; if there's nothing interesting, I have plenty of other things to do. Aside from checking in with a few people I know and logging, I mainly read/post when I'm bored. It's still a good source of info, not necessarily always correct but at least to know what other people do/think. Maybe I'm in an unusual situation here as there are really almost no resources to get advice/help from a more experienced triathlete in person. What would drive me away is snarkiness. When someone posts a serious inquiry, particularly a newbie who hasn't been on the site/in the sport long enough to know it's a hot-button topic (flip turns, strength training, etc.) the "pass the popcorn" thing is a BIG turn-off. I'm sure I've offended someone by saying that. Whatever--won't be the first time, or the last. (Getting off soapbox now and going running. Maybe I'll even lift some weights. Will definitely do some flip turns later.)

My snarkiness, really wants to post a popcorn eating animated smiley right now.  lol

(CRsmall.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
CRsmall.jpg (63KB - 11 downloads)
2015-08-29 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I've been dinged up and didn't race at all this season.  I check in on Political COJ every now and then.  I'm gonna start posting more.  I kinda miss BT.

2015-08-30 4:36 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If you keep that up, I may have to go pee on my bike.
2015-08-30 5:02 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by dmiller5

The banning of Bryan especially ended up being a big deal to me....started to lose interest in serious conversations to some extent when he was booted.  Guy was a wealth of information.

Can't remember why he left but Tom Demerly is sorely missed too.  I still get to see his cats on facebook every day though.  lol

The growth of other outlets has gotten a lot more.  There's a local Tri group on on Facebook that has exploded over the years, so most of the beginner type questions that would have normally come to a place like BT are being answered by local people who you can go hang out and train with.

both Tom and Bryan are on FB so I hang out there really
2015-08-30 10:23 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner If you keep that up, I may have to go pee on my bike.

Meh...Not impressed...Poop on your bike, though, and you'll be immortalized.  

2015-08-30 1:50 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by Hot Runner If you keep that up, I may have to go pee on my bike.

Meh...Not impressed...Poop on your bike, though, and you'll be immortalized.  

i still laugh every time I think about that thread.   haha

2015-08-31 6:37 AM

User image

Bronze member

It's kind of a combo of all of those reasons why I don't post much - except the site change. That really did not bother me at all. The mentor group I was in moved to FB so we all chat and cheer for one another there. I miss the advice of the veterans that left from tritalk- Scout, Kathy, Fred, Newbz, Bryan. My kids are getting to the age where they are involved in lots of activities and I don't have the time (or motivation to make the time I guess) to train to race. Like right now - instead of blabbering about why I don't have time to train I could actually be doing it .

Still love BT and use the logs everyday.

2015-08-31 10:13 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Originally posted by trigal38

The mentor group I was in moved to FB so we all chat and cheer for one another there. 

Why did your group move to FB ?

2015-08-31 10:36 AM
in reply to: skipg

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by skipg Been away for a while, I occasionally stopped in on BT to see what's happening and It just seems that it is mush slower, or a lot less activity post wise than I remember. Many of the long timers that I remember seem to be missing. What happened, where did everyone go?

I seem to remember a thread much like this a little while back.  And a little while before that.  Like all communities, BT has it's ups and downs and is ever evolving.  I think it's ironic that you mention that you have been away for a while, yet are wondering where everyone went.  Lots of folks come and go, some don't come back, some do.  The changing people keep it fresh and diverse.  

2015-08-31 4:13 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

The mentor group I was in moved to FB so we all chat and cheer for one another there. 

Why did your group move to FB ?

I'm not really sure. I tried to drop out of the group all together because I wasn't into racing at the intensity of a lot of the other members but they found me and pulled me back in .

2015-08-31 6:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Been here since '04, and use the logs and check the forums.  BT was one of the 1st social media sites, it was pretty cool back then.  I remember Spokes saying "BT is my Facebook", that guy was a trip!  I remember when he and some others were kicked off, you could tell things were changing.

I have neutral feeling about the Mentor groups. I did the Mentor thing in the beginning and passed it on for others beginners when I was expanding my own training for longer events and learning a lot.  I signed up again a few years back after I took a break and the group fell apart.  Did another last year to learn more about bike power training and that was great. 

Some things on the new site are discombobulated, for instance why hide the HR zone calc.  I wrote to Ron a while back with an idea to combine all the calculators on this site (HR, Critical Power) and maybe add another like Critical Swim Speed, where people can easily get to them (like off the Training Log drop down tab), never got a reply.

BTW, whatever happen to Mike (IIRC) that was a programmer for the new site and was active on BT?  Is Bear still here? I see his name as a moderator but not sure the moderator names ever change!  Anyway I hope the site doesn't ever die...

BTW, today was the 1st time I've been on COJ in a loooooong time

Edited by Donto 2015-08-31 6:33 PM
2015-08-31 7:15 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Champion
Alabama
Ever wonder how someone can have 5,000 posts and you've never seen their name before?
2015-09-01 4:06 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

It's kind of a combo of all of those reasons why I don't post much - except the site change. That really did not bother me at all. The mentor group I was in moved to FB so we all chat and cheer for one another there. I miss the advice of the veterans that left from tritalk- Scout, Kathy, Fred, Newbz, Bryan. My kids are getting to the age where they are involved in lots of activities and I don't have the time (or motivation to make the time I guess) to train to race. Like right now - instead of blabbering about why I don't have time to train I could actually be doing it .

This is OT (or maybe not), but it's interesting to me you mention missing Newbz / David. Even though he was a huge contributor with a lot of good information, and mostly a nice guy, IMO a habitual cheater isn't someone who communities like BT and ST can tolerate. We all have flaws, and good traits too, but when a person cheats in the sport that the site is here to support, that can't be tolerated by the community. Many others have been banned from the site for not playing well with others, and personally I'd give anyone of them a warm welcome back, but in a community that exists because of sport, premeditated and repeated cheating should be the greatest crime.
2015-09-01 5:46 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Where did all the BI proTers go?

Just how many people have been banned from BT?  I guess I don't pay attention, but I can't think of anyone that has been banned in the 4 years I've been here except Bryan.....and I don't know if he was banned permanently or just didn't come back or what.

2015-09-01 6:49 AM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by TriMyBest

This is OT (or maybe not), but it's interesting to me you mention missing Newbz / David. Even though he was a huge contributor with a lot of good information, and mostly a nice guy, IMO a habitual cheater isn't someone who communities like BT and ST can tolerate. We all have flaws, and good traits too, but when a person cheats in the sport that the site is here to support, that can't be tolerated by the community. Many others have been banned from the site for not playing well with others, and personally I'd give anyone of them a warm welcome back, but in a community that exists because of sport, premeditated and repeated cheating should be the greatest crime.

I missed that story I guess! I had no idea he cheated.

2015-09-01 7:13 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Rogillio Ever wonder how someone can have 5,000 posts and you've never seen their name before?
Mike if you're speaking about me you are losing you mind!  I'm definitely not be the most vocal on this site but I do participate with feedback on what I know about.  I do believe it was you a long time ago that had a bike fit question with a pic and I reposted the pic with some lines and angles on it for you.  The site's search engine seems to be down right now otherwise I'd try and find it. 

2015-09-01 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Rogillio Ever wonder how someone can have 5,000 posts and you've never seen their name before?

Depends on where they are posting. I chat quite a bit in my mentor group, but have been mostly absent of TriTalk for quite some time.  I wandered through the mentor groups late last year and saw names I'd never seen before. 

2015-09-01 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Where did all the BI proTers go?

Originally posted by Left Brain

Just how many people have been banned from BT?  I guess I don't pay attention, but I can't think of anyone that has been banned in the 4 years I've been here except Bryan.....and I don't know if he was banned permanently or just didn't come back or what.

I was banned for a week once

2015-09-01 8:55 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by Socks

I have been around since 2005.  Met lots of great people over the years.  I think the re-design drove a lot of people away.  Its harder to be friendly and the loss of chat didn't help either.  I don't "talk" to nearly as many people on my friends list as I did a few years back.  Many people whom I started with don't do tris anymore and I keep up with them on FB.  I am way less active on the forums partly because I have no desire to answer the same question for the 100th time and partly because after 10 years I dont' have much to ask myself.  I wish the fun of the big BT get togethers still happened because that was really special.

I remember you. We got into some knock-down, drag-out arguments about politics and religion and other stuff. Glad to see your changed your avatar, I always thought you wrere a guy..... Didn't you used to have glass of beer as an avatar?

Mike, you may be thinking about Scout7 who used a glass of Guinness as his avatar.   

Mark

Scout for Overlord!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where did all the BTers go? Rss Feed  

of 16