World Triathlon Corporation
97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 16h 04m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

KenJ and I plus our support crew (wives) headed down on Tuesday. Took a couple days and arrived Wednesday set up and sat and relaxed with a few beers and margaritas. Thursday up and head to packet pick up and a run hopefully figure out what shoes would be best for me. Ken just because. It was warm at 10a already. Great town. Friday a bike ride and dinner with Ken's Georgia tri group at a Brazilian Steak house. Saturday a swim in the river. Need to rack bikes and bags. Taking a look at the brand new Time trial tires I have front has a gash in the side wall and the rear has one too. So stop by the expo for a new set. Ugh. Get the bike finally rack head home for dinner and back downtown to stay in a hotel close so we can be in Transition early but the girls don't have to get up to early.
Event warmup:

Up at 3:30 to eat and pump tires and water bottles then catch bus to swim start. To sit for 2 hours. Warm up was some stretching and peeing for the last time for 18 hours. Ken and I are mentally working on plan since the temperature is gong to be over 95 degrees. PRs and time goals are gone. Survival is the goal today.
Swim
  • 1h 03m 29s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

River swim but the reduced the flow so didn't really noticed any help from it. My first river swim so was hoping to get a little. You ran across the timing mat then jumped not dive into the river off a temporary dock. Not crowded and Ken and head for the end to hopefully catch the current. Only instruction Ken give me is buoys left island right. Off we go. I just use a nice steady stroke. Farther down the river I concentrate on form and long easy strokes. I am steadily catching people Lots if room and comfortable swim. Catch the steps out and catch Y and Connie in the VIP tent. Nice.
What would you do differently?:

Good swim but hoping to break an hour oh well.
Transition 1
  • 10m 30s
Comments:

Took my time changed to into bibs and jersey and settle HR. Put on my stinky bike shoes and head out to the bike. Temp is ok at this time.
Bike
  • 7h 38m 9s
  • 116 miles
  • 15.19 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where the carnage begins. Its an out to a loop 2x then return. Very nice course. Would be fun on a average day of 72 degrees. My first lap is going well. My goal is to pee twice. Didn't happen. Even on the first lap there at people resting at stops. Through Chickamauga I hit special needs. Pick up some cookies and take off to see Y and Connie cheering us on. Ken had passed my at mile 47 while I was just hanging out in the porta potty and putting my chain back on. Ugh. By then the heat is starting in earnest and the sun is brutal. First lap is a slow ride past aid station to get water. Second lap I and having a hard time Staying cool. We are getting some head wind. Reststops are full of bikers some down some looking to cool and get fluids. Volunteers are doing an outstanding job. They probably didn't think they would have to catch some bikers that were to far gone to get off without help. Ambulances are going all over the place. One young lady is down cramps won't let her bend her legs at all. I didn't come across anyone in dire need of help that wasn't being helped by med or vol. At one stop there is like 20 riders off their bikes lying in the grass. Few here and there standing in shady areas. I did this for about 10 minutes after I got both loops down. That helped a lot to help me finish. Soon headed back to transition. Where Y waits.

Not much. I made it back. with 15% of bikers not making back I am happy with the effort. Ken is better than an hour ahead.
Transition 2
  • 22m
Comments:

Yeah 22 minutes. Need to cool and hydrate. Slowest transition tent I have ever seen. Sit and get some electrolytes down and a cookie. At least 6 guys are waiting to be released by med or volunteers and not arguing.

Did what was need to be done.
Run
  • 6h 48m 28s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

The carnage continues. The heat index at 120 my wife said. More like 105 but what is the difference. I have already planned to walk first mile of this sweat bath. I throw Y the cookies I thought I might need. LOL, I get a little jog in here and there. I taking base salts every half hour and continue drink ice water and coke at every other station. skip the gatorade and red bull. Ice in the hat, cooling buff and in my pockets. Water down the back. There are people puking, people down in fetal, sitting and prone positions. Guys on carts, full carts responding to these people. I am amazed they seemed to keeping up with it. Its a two different loops course you do twice. I was able to run jog the first double loop. We are all encouraging every one. The sun is starting to drop but not much change in temp yet. I can't run very far without tummy starting to turn over. I catch Y and Connie on the way out of the second loop the first time. Up over the hill I go. i figure walk uphills and run down. On the way back I was running some. Catch some illegal rolaids from Y and head down tot he turn around and special needs to get my cookies made with extra salt. although its great to have something in my belly still not settling. Spend and extra ten minutes in special needs. I decide that I can walk as fast as I can walk/run. So head down and head out to finish first loop of the second round. Figured I's worry about finishing in time after that. the didn't cut me off so should be good. I am taking ice water and drinking it in little sips for quarter mile or some ice in various places. I and doing OK. I catch up with walk/runners and pass them. THE CARNAGE CONTINUES. Y met me at the finish of the first loop second lap. But stops to help one guy bent over and then one girl on the fetal position on the side of the road. She catches me on the bridge. She is needing to jog a little to stay up with my pace. I here a few call out of time and one young man is displaying time on his phone. 10:18 with 5 miles to go. Fuzzy math in head says very doable. Up the hill and then fine the energy to run down. Put the pace setting on my watch. keep it close to 15 minute miles and soon I'm in the final bridge with Y meeting up with me. Around the corner and the finish line. Ken and his tri team is there cheering me on. Sweet.
Dudley Hallstead from Canandaigua you are am Ironman.

Canada IM.
Post race
Warm down:

Little confused when they stopped me dead and ask me if I need medical. No thanks need to walk. Ok here is a bottle of water. Yumm warm. can I walk. No let me pour water over your head, OK do it. Can I walk? no here is your medal and need the tag off your bib. Here is your cap and t-shirt. What? Shirt and hat. Oh. Can I walk now. No need a picture. Ok sure you don't need medical. No OK you can walk now. Too late already seizing up. Walk out for five minutes. Meet up with Connie and Ken congrates around. Hit the pizza tent and get stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat

Event comments:

Hot is hot.
Thank you Connie and Ken for a great week away from reality.
Thank you Y for all you help and support. i love you.

Last updated: 2015-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:03:29 | 4224 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Jammers
Course: Down the river
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:38:09 | 116 miles | 15.19 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 22:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:48:28 | 26.2 miles | 15m 35s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-10-02 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Ironman Chattanooga

2016-10-03 9:14 AM
in reply to: #5200552

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga

Great job making the best of a bad weather day for racing!!  Congratulations Dud!

It was a great trip, lots of fun!!  Connie and I enjoyed spending time with you and Y!  Love you guys too!!

2016-10-03 9:20 AM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Congratulations on pushing through, sounds like a terribly unexpected day for Chatt in late September.
2016-10-03 9:23 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Congratulations! you definitely did everything right to manage your race in that heat! 

Well done!

IM Canada was brutally hot a few years ago, you need a race in the winter but then an IM swim in a pool would really suck.

2016-10-03 9:23 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Congratulations! you definitely did everything right to manage your race in that heat! 

Well done!

IM Canada was brutally hot a few years ago, you need a race in the winter but then an IM swim in a pool would really suck.

2016-10-03 10:38 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Great job getting it done!  Congrats IRONMAN!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by meyding
Views: 1728 Posts: 2

2014-10-05 4:08 PM Sous

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by clemson05
Views: 1703 Posts: 2

2014-10-05 4:02 PM Sous

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by austhokie
Views: 1765 Posts: 4

2014-10-06 6:54 AM austhokie

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 2866 Posts: 11

2014-10-10 12:09 PM mtnbikerchk

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by Chris.1333
Views: 2068 Posts: 5

2014-10-05 4:10 PM Sous
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.