Firm Racing
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 05m 41s
Overall Rank = 497/526
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 55/56
Pre-race routine:

'jocked' and cheerleaded at the Hyannis 2 tri early sat am. Saw ellen and mike, patty, nicole and another friend from town. Really cool way to get jazzed for the 1/2 IM!! Got to watch all the athletes and their efforts and different techniques.
Headed to Narragansett Rhode Island around noon on saturday and got there around 2 pm. Saw Rob and meredith just as I was heading on to check in. Saw May and steve, patty and polly too. cool bunch of peeps. Ate a little pasta dinner at the race site with the 'Sparrows' and another tri guy from mass.
After dinner it was off to the 'lovemobile' in back lawn of LBS for a comfy pre-race overnite snooze.
Woke in plenty of time to get racked and marked. Only had OJ for breakfast, should have had more to nibble on before the race.
Headed down the beach for about a mile. Saw Kathy G and a friend on the way.
Event warmup:

Splashed around in the surf for a quick minute to do a goggle check. Chatted with other guys in swim wave and enjoyed the sunrise. Gorgeous morning!!!!!
Swim
  • 46m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

MY AG was the last wave and I am a slow swimmer so I started in the back of the pack. My only goal was to be comfortable, navigate well and get thru the 1.2 mile swim. My out of the water time was 45 minutes and I am OK with that. I have not done much swimming at all this year and this is the longest I have swam since last year at this race. No aspirations for a quick swim, just tough it out.
Felt good for the swim. Time was about what I did for my first year at this same race. I knew I would not be last, figured about 10 people behind me.
What would you do differently?:

Considering the only thing that will help me get faster in the swim is probably a total immersion class and extensive time in the pool.

I'll trade the 5 min slower time for the multiple hours I swam last year in the 25 yd pool after driving 45 miles round trip and devoting 2 hrs for each day of swimming. Many sessions of ocean swims would have helped too, maybe next year.

Transition 1
  • 05m 41s
Comments:

I didnt run to T-1 and probably should have, didnt matter in the long run. Pretty discouraging to come into T-1 and there be very few bikes left. Had to take a few extra minutes to make sure I had all my food, beverages, throw on bike shorts over tri suit, tire pump and repair gear.
Bike
  • 3h 23m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.48 mile/hr
Comments:

No stellar expectations. I do feel I could have done better on the bike and have in the past. Expectations were to keep the cadence up high and save some legs for the run. In years past I have pushed the bike and not had much for the run.
Not too many others in the area for the bike. A few single rides here and there. Lonely on the bike. Had lots of time to think about stuff.
At mile 50 (3 hrs axact), my butt and lower back were aching. I was done with the bike and just want off!!! Pushed thru the last few miles just to be done.

ride more, do at least 1 -50 miler in training. work on some hills.
Transition 2
  • 07m 29s
Comments:

Not sure why my t-2 time was this long. I was really thinking about not doing the run. Headed out anyway. By the time I got to the parking lot where my car was, the back and butt stopped aching so I figured I could keep going.
Run
  • 2h 42m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

LOL...kinda funny that I placed better in my AG for the run than the bike or swim!!!
I was able to jog consistantly w/o pain or stopping to mile 8 1/2, which is the 2nd and last turn around. Lots of positive self talk to get to this point. Legs felt ok, no pain, just no any way to speed up, just get thru. After 8.5, I interspersed walking breaks every now and then, but mostly a slow jog, just to keep the feet moving.
Hardest sight to see was how many people were behind me. I felt sssoo bad for them. Knowing how hard the run was for me and to see these folks, who started before me, heading into mile 7 as I was passing mile 10. Lots of grit and determination on their faces.

The beach run wasnt all that bad for me this year. Learned to hit the hard packed sand early on. This was a good thing since this was amongst the folks on the beach. Nice sights along the way ;)

do a few long runs off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Exhausted at the end. Not hungry at all. All I wanted was cold watermelon and a cold coke. (the last few miles this was all I could think about) Sat in the shade and collected myself. Thought alot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training basically. My training hours are barely at the oly level. I didnt follow a training plan like the last 2 yrs and I have not done much swimming at all.

Event comments:

Firmman is a good race. The swim and run venue are very nice. You wont get a prettier beach anywhere around. The bike was challenging but I question the safety of all the 'chatter strips' at the exit ramps. Having to go around them and barely into the traffic lane is dangerous. The bike course could have been swept more.
The only other bad move, as far as water stops go, the RD provide a sport drink mix called "heed". It was AWFUL!!!! powdery tasting, yuck. They should have stuck with gatorade.
Overall, I would recommend this race to anyone. Next year however, I will probably do another 1/2 IM somewhere else. 3 times for this one.

Last updated: 2006-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:30 | 2112 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 52/56
Overall: 501/526
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Thru a small set of breakers then a right at first buoy and off along a horizontal tothe beach 1 mile course, right at last buoy and into the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:23:50 | 56 miles | 16.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/56
Overall: 459/526
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back along RI rt. 1A with a lolipop area thrown in for good measure. The route is mostly rolling highway grade hills. One big uphill at about mile 4 heading out of town. (hard to watch, but the hoyts got partway up and turned around to take another shot at it. I'll give rick and dick credit, they didnt give up, he just told me..."i gotta get turned around and give it abother try" sent shivers all over my body) The lolipop area is basically all hills. Nice rural country but climbing for sure. Crappy part was all the 'rummble strips' at the highway turnoffs. They were ALL torn up and dangerous to bike around. Also a tough headwind all the way back for 15 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:29
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:42:06 | 13.1 miles | 12m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/56
Overall: 433/526
Performance: Below average
Course: relatively flat course, thru residential areas. great volunteers!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-11 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: Firmman Half Iron Triathlon

2006-09-11 3:10 PM
in reply to: #536681

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: Firmman Half Iron Triathlon
Great job. . . for me the worst part of the run was seeing all the people before me who already went through where I was going.
2006-09-11 3:11 PM

Online or Offline

Hey Glen! First off, GREAT JOB! You haven't been doing much training at all, and you survived a 1/2 IM in great form!

I agree with you on the dangerousness of the bike course, it totally sucked. I won't do this race again any time soon because I disliked the safety of the bike course, way too much on Rte 1, and the cars couldn't give a crap about the cyclists as they came off the on ramps onto Rte 1.

I saw the Hoyts also, going the opposite direction on the bike. That was cool. I yelled out "GO TEAM HOYT!" But with the wind and all, it probably sounded like I said "Which way is Detroit?" Tongue out They were also in Va Beach the weekend before like me, at the Va Beach Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 marathon. They get around!

Their results aren't clear to me on the FIRM site...did they not do the run? I was wondering if they did, how SHITTY it must have been pushing his son on that quicksand to the Finish Line. Carry him and the wheelchair instead to the finish?

And where the heck did you find HARD PACKED SAND to run on to the finish? THE SHORE?? LOL LOL LOL

You had an amazing day out there, definitely an inspiration and example of determination! Thanks for sharing!

As for a different 1/2 next year...might I suggest an EndorFun event by Keith Jordan. Supposedly Jorge has something up his sleeve as well, so keep your eyes open for that one!

2006-09-11 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice race Glen!

To bad your AG started in last wave, otherwise you'd be racing with lots more folks which I agree is more fun.

"My training hours are barely at the oly level" you did a HIM...very few folks can pull that off. The distance is still daunting to me...next year.

I agree with your thoughts on the chatter stripes and having to share a lane with traffic going 55-65 mph seems a bit dangerous. Thanks for yelling out to me on the bike...I didn't see you at first...always a bright spot while racing!

Let's pick another HIM for next year...maybe one put on by Cranberry folks sometime in the same area, potential one in CT later in Sept. Lots to choose from and doing them with BTers makes any race better.

Congrats Glen!

2006-09-11 3:14 PM

Pro
Andover
Well done buddy. As May said, you did a damn good job, especially considering you decided to do this race less than a week ago!

Always a pleasure to hook up with you!
2006-09-11 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Agreed on the course - I wonder if they couldn't set up something more rural there. I don't like biking on highways in general, but those exit ramps were kind of scary.

I must be the one person who prefers Hammer products over Gu and Gatorade, but I thought it was really funny that everyone was yelling Gu/Gatorade on the run stops. Why not just "gels"?

2006-09-11 3:45 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Again, I HATE you.  For not doing much training and participated in a HIM with good results.  How do you do that?

I see it differently about your placing int he run.  You're in pain and yet you're runing FASTER than many people.  WHen I'm in pain, I have to slow down to a walk.  It's not fair  :p

2006-09-11 5:49 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Nice Job Glen....esp witht the little training...perhaps you would swim faster if you ever swam?  Just a thought. I can tease you now that I know you better   Hope you had a great time -SMO
2006-09-11 5:55 PM

Elite

It must have been awesome just to compete alongside Team Hoyt.

I think I'm going to make that one of my long-term goals.

Thanks for the great report, and congrats on your race!

2006-09-11 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

Hey Glen,

Great job!...how you can do a 1/2 without training is beyond me. I would die. You crack me up ...sleeping in the lovemobile!!

It was great to see you in Hyannis!!

2006-09-11 6:21 PM

Champion

Way to go Glen!  I feel for ya...since I did Cranberry on marginal training.  You survived and finished in good style.  That counts for a lot!

2006-09-11 6:24 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

nice race Glen.  Ya know, when I saw you heading out on the bike I thought you might pull up, chat, and bag the race  LOL  I'm glad you stuck it out tho, nice work 

Yeah, that bike course leaves a lot to be desired, that's why FMan does not make my "A" list.

Great seeing you in Hyannis on Saturday, and I have to admit I did not miss our boxing match  

2006-09-11 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,

Great race Glen!

"My training hours are barely at the oly level"  and yet you finished a HIM without specifically training for it.  Heck, you didn't even register until 1 week before.  Just awesome.  Good hooking up with you before the race.  Sorry I missed you afterwards.

Like May said... where did you find hard packed sand?  Down by the water? 

2006-09-11 8:44 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Glennie!!

You're my hero again!! Pulling off a half IM with barely any training, especially swimming! AND you slept in the car!

I didn't like to hear that you were lonely on the bike! I would have biked with ya!! If you towed me behind you with a chain, that is!!

2006-09-11 11:51 PM

User image

Master
CT
awesome race Glen

I saw you head out on the bike and couldn't believe how relaxed you were—maybe that is your secret
2006-09-12 6:16 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Great job Glen!  Those are super times for what you say is lack of training.  Oh well, now you have a road map for next season!  As long as you continue to enjoy! 

2006-09-13 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
When you decide to accomplish something- .....the world best look out. Impressive race..
You must feel strong ..and satisfied..
  • hmm...wonder if it's all the thinking...or the Lovemobile that gets you through? LOL (insert BT HUG HERE)..
  • You have had an interesting season..year...curious / excited ito see what's next for you.
    Missed ya at North Shore...and would have loved to be at Firm..
    You always makes the race experience even better-thanks.Was thinking of you...
    Adapt & enjoy....
    Congrats on your accomplishment-!
    2006-09-13 4:42 PM

Expert
    You are one tough guy Glen...I know this was a last second decision for you but you really gutted it out. Great job.

After Timberman last year I had sworn off doing half's but reading all your race reports I may have to reconsider.

Hopefully we can hook up for some winter races and maybe at Hyannis Marathon again.

Mark
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Firmman Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed