General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is a finishers medal enough for your hard work? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-08-29 2:22 AM

Subject: Is a finishers medal enough for your hard work?
Hi All,

I'm investigating a 'problem' I felt after my first Ironman in WA in 2016. I felt after all the hard work I put in during training, that a finishers medal and a few photos where great to celebrate and reflect on the day, but I want something more that shows the effort and fun I had while training for the event. It would be awesome if other triathletes, marathon runners etc could fill in the following survey, as I want to know if it it just me!

https://goo.gl/forms/kQ0AWClAzva6KdXK2

I have also started a facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/athmento/if you want to follow us as we work towards a solution.

Cheers

Tim

2017-08-29 8:40 AM
in reply to: timbig

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Is a finishers medal enough for your hard work?
Originally posted by timbig

but I want something more

After every race I do I get a finish time, and more importantly, a finish place relative to other competitors, and also a USAT score. These tidbits let me know what training has worked and what has not. It allows me to adjust and rework to limit the amount of people that finish in front of me at any given race. That's what I get that is way more important than a medal, shirt, shrine, statue, or whatever.

IMHO a medal, trophy, statue erected to your greatness...or any other single material memento is just that; it's a single stationary thing. There's no long term fulfillment there. Pick a target that is constantly moving and enjoy the process of chasing it. If the process isn't enough then you're not going to be fulfilled.

I will say that pint glasses are always welcome...those are the only trophies I get any use out of
2017-08-29 9:56 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

An M-Dot tattoo will solve your problem. 

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what you're asking. How to brag about your accomplishment (that most people don't really care about)? This is clearly a sales pitch, but I'm not sure what you're selling -- even after visiting your FB page and website...

2017-08-29 10:05 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by timbig but I want something more
After every race I do I get a finish time, and more importantly, a finish place relative to other competitors, and also a USAT score. These tidbits let me know what training has worked and what has not. It allows me to adjust and rework to limit the amount of people that finish in front of me at any given race. That's what I get that is way more important than a medal, shirt, shrine, statue, or whatever. IMHO a medal, trophy, statue erected to your greatness...or any other single material memento is just that; it's a single stationary thing. There's no long term fulfillment there. Pick a target that is constantly moving and enjoy the process of chasing it. If the process isn't enough then you're not going to be fulfilled. I will say that pint glasses are always welcome...those are the only trophies I get any use out of

Bro, I know some people to send to tear your chit down.

2017-08-29 10:19 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ok LB, they do exist. I stand corrected.

I would also like a medal after every training run!

2017-08-29 10:23 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Bro, I know some people to send to tear your chit down.

My chit would be marble...not that flaky bronze crap all the confederate statues are made of....it ain't coming down

2017-08-29 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Then have something made. I have a ton of awards that my wife wants me to chuck in the bin. I don't need RD giving more crap. I only keep race shirts I like, the rest get donated while they are in good shape.
2017-08-29 11:28 AM

I'm good with a finisher's medal. If they're kinda cool looking.....they're cool to look at before I chuck them in the drawer.
I like the one someone here posted a pic of. It was from a series of races....or a yearly race, I think that when you stuck them altogether they formed the shape of a star. I think it was in TX somewhere. Might consider framing something like that.

I tend to place undue emotional value on t-shirts. I suppose its my way of hoarding. I wear lots of them. But my "You can't spell awesome with ME" t-shirt is just as important to me as my 70.3 finisher t shirt. I wear it more often. My "Assistant to the Regional Manager" shirt is my favorite of all time. It's comfy. It's true. And it gets more reactions in public than anything. Not that I'm in need of reactions. I'm sort of oblivious to them. I usually just murmur something about working with my brother and move on with my shopping. If I wore an IM t-shirt or something and someone asked me, I'd murmur something and move on, unless they told me about having done race X,Y, or Z.

I don't feel any need for tactile "you did it" confirmation. The personal satisfaction is more than enough.

I'm more into the swag battle. If you're gonna charge me for swag, make it swag I want. No more string bags. T-shirts, I guess for me are always OK. A long sleeve shirt is a nice changeup. I heard of someone doing mittens once. Already have plenty of pint glasses.

I've said before I think the biggest thing Ironman is missing out on as a brand are "thank you" gifts. Last I looked, they had exactly one thing....necklace. Why they don't have a branded portal to Things Remembered or something is beyond me. Every spouse needs an IM branded "thank you" flask...amiright?

Seriously, I do think they are missing out on some revenue by not offering more thank you doodads and gifts.
2017-08-29 11:54 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
Originally posted by lisac957

An M-Dot tattoo will solve your problem. 

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what you're asking. How to brag about your accomplishment (that most people don't really care about)? This is clearly a sales pitch, but I'm not sure what you're selling -- even after visiting your FB page and website...

Have to agree with Lisa on this one. Seems you want people to appreciate what you did when most people, while impressed at the accomplishment are wondering why you put yourself/body through the punishment. You have to be happy with your accomplishment, not everyone else being happy for you. Self satisfaction of the finish works for me. The race medals, bibs, etc hang in the garage as my incentive to get out and train.
2017-08-29 1:27 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jhaack39  I've said before I think the biggest thing Ironman is missing out on as a brand are "thank you" gifts. Last I looked, they had exactly one thing....necklace. Why they don't have a branded portal to Things Remembered or something is beyond me. Every spouse needs an IM branded "thank you" flask...amiright? Seriously, I do think they are missing out on some revenue by not offering more thank you doodads and gifts.

Does https://www.ironmanstore.com/ not meet those needs? There's even multiple categories for "support crew" items (shirts, hats, camp chairs, coolers, keychains, flags, medals, cowbells...). I'd say they've put a little too much thought into some of those items LOL!

2017-08-29 1:38 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Wait - you're supposed to give a gift to your signiificant other that is IM branded because you did an IM branded race?  Can that take the place of remembering an anniversary or valentines day?  Otherwise.......no......hell no.

2017-08-29 1:52 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

All I need are some tasty waves beers, a cool buzz, and I'm fine!

I've never felt the need for more, actually would prefer less these days.

2017-08-29 1:55 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Donto

All I need are some tasty waves beers, a cool buzz, and I'm fine!

I've never felt the need for more, actually would prefer less these days.

^^^^^I don't need finisher's medal, nor t-shirt, nor sunscreen and gel samples... as long as I get a beer at the finish line!
2017-08-29 1:59 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
When I first started participating in races, i was collecting medals, bib numbers, everything. I made a nice spot on the wall to hang them, made collage from bib numbers, etc, etc... Right now I don't even know where I put the medal from last Sunday's race... The best thing that happens to me is when my kids watch me racing, when they high-five me when I get out of T2, and when they yell at me by the finish line. Especially when they yell: "Mom! you're so slow!!!"
The fact that I complete a race strongly is what I need to reward myself for a training, I am not sure I would need any other recognition. But then, again, beer is a must
2017-08-29 2:08 PM

User image

DC
Bizarre, isn't living in the moment enough?
2017-08-29 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Facebook memories are the (free) gift that keeps on giving.  I have over 100 races logged in Athlinks and that's not covering every race, so I stopped trying to keep track of each one - no matter how momentus they seemed at the time. 

I think you will have to do a lot of work to advertise and market the Athmentos product, however it turns out.    There are so many things on the market that touch into this space and MANY MANY people great their own momentos in the form of t-shirts, tattoos, scrap books, etc. in addition to the regular stuff (Facebook, Instagram, race giveaways, etc).   Most "Ironman" (meaning that brand, not just iron distance) finishers I know have bought multiple pieces of apparel that is worn often - and other things incorporated into daily life, like water bottles, necklaces, stuff on their car,. 

2017-08-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Left Brain

Wait - you're supposed to give a gift to your signiificant other that is IM branded because you did an IM branded race?  Can that take the place of remembering an anniversary or valentines day?  Otherwise.......no......hell no.

I didn't say you had to.....
I just figured that they were smart enough to try to squeeze suckers out of money.
Like when grocery stores put the toy cars right next to the checkout aisle.
Or baseball teams sell ice cream in mini helmets.
Or Best Buy sells GOLD PLATED HDMI cables....because Gold Plated is better...
Of if you act now, the second "one" is free. Just pay a nominal shipping and handling fee...
Or $99 flights to Iceland, bags are extra, as well as snacks, trips to the bathroom, and freedom from not having to share a seat with a large sweaty guy in spandex.

Or when Hershey makes the giant 1/4 pound Reese's Peanut Butter Cups that you have to cut with a steak knife....wait. That's really not so crazy.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-08-29 3:01 PM
2017-08-29 3:10 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Get the medal, then donate it here:  http://medals4mettle.org/

That should help you feel better.

2017-08-29 3:45 PM

User image

I'd like a finisher medal for any significant race.... a marathon or longer run, a half ironman or longer tri. Some sprints and olys I've gone to give a finisher's medal. I throw it in a drawer and forget about it.
2017-08-29 5:36 PM
in reply to: #5227190

Sarasota, Florida
I think everyone should get a medal. I like my medals. Do i think they should all be the same? Of course not. But i like my finisher medals. I feel sorry for the dnqs. They should get a dnq medal to burn all over again. Like i should have a spiraled medal mounting trophy with a medallion for each workout and missing medallions for each missed one or short coming to my plan. Those memories are frustrating. I admit i do have a jam i found while training and id listen to it on the way to the park. It always brings good memories.
2017-08-29 5:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by timbig Hi All, I'm investigating a 'problem' I felt after my first Ironman in WA in 2016. I felt after all the hard work I put in during training, that a finishers medal and a few photos where great to celebrate and reflect on the day, but I want something more that shows the effort and fun I had while training for the event. It would be awesome if other triathletes, marathon runners etc could fill in the following survey, as I want to know if it it just me! https://goo.gl/forms/kQ0AWClAzva6KdXK2I have also started a facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/athmento/if you want to follow us as we work towards a solution. Cheers Tim

Absolutely not.  Well... unless your are Wreck-it Ralph.  All he needed was a medal. :-)  Werck-it Ralph needed his medal for his peers to accept him.  He already knew for himself that he could earn the metal.  The metal was just a tangible token of his self worth to show to others.  

So..you probably don't need a medal at all for your hard work.  The medal is not required to celebrate.  It is not required to reflect on the day.  It doesn't show the effort nor fun that you had while training, etc. If you are happy with who you are then you don't need to prove anything to anyone else. 

If you feel you need a medal then it will NOT be enough for your hard work.  You are are going to need a taste of cake and a home in the penthouse too for it to be worth it.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-08-29 5:45 PM

2017-08-29 7:46 PM

Originally posted by timbig

Hi All,

I'm investigating a 'problem' I felt after my first Ironman in WA in 2016. I felt after all the hard work I put in during training, that a finishers medal and a few photos where great to celebrate and reflect on the day, but I want something more that shows the effort and fun I had while training for the event. It would be awesome if other triathletes, marathon runners etc could fill in the following survey, as I want to know if it it just me!

https://goo.gl/forms/kQ0AWClAzva6KdXK2

I have also started a facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/athmento/if you want to follow us as we work towards a solution.

Cheers

Tim

I have no idea what you're talking about but I hope you find it. Good luck.
2017-08-29 10:58 PM

User image

It's enough for me. I've placed in a few and I like the cheap little glass trophies too. I can look at these things and actually remember things about each race. My wife hung up my finisher's medals about six months ago and I still stop momentarily to look at them and remember things about the races. There's a couple of open-water events, a couple of cycling events, a couple of runs, and then the triathlons (solo and relay). The party at the B&B after the Olympic relay with guys in my field, in which our swimmer barely made the cutoff and still complains to me about how painful that experience was; the first time I placed (4th) in my age group and how I left after the race only to find out later that I did okay; the 2k open-water swim in which nobody good participated and I kept looking back wondering where everybody was; cycling through the mountains and then finding out that the guys I entered the race with all placed in the top ten (I was about an hour behind them!), etc. Great memories! And the medals help me remember.
2017-08-30 1:41 AM
in reply to: Trilogy

User image

, Kronobergs lan
yes.

(If I ever did an ironman, I would be happy with a finisher medal)
2017-08-30 6:56 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Fortunately my company firewall blocks the Google Forms site, so I can't get past that to find out what you're really selling here. Nice first post, though.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is a finishers medal enough for your hard work? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Grats to BT IM Santa Rosa Finishers 7/29

Started by Baowolf
Views: 715 Posts: 4

2017-08-02 11:04 AM kalish

SHOES - Why is it so hard?

Started by tlpina
Views: 1381 Posts: 21

2017-07-19 11:57 AM jhaack39

How do you recover after hard workouts?

Started by jessicarandall