BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-10-24 4:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Announcing....

What: Manatee Mini Meet in Chattanooga! (aka Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga)

When: The weekend of May 19th

Where: Chattanooga, TN

Confirmed attendees: Lisa, Ann-Marie, Janyne

If that's the case, maybe I will plan a family trip there, to meet you guys and cheer

2018-10-24 5:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I'm going to plant an Ironmanatee seed. I start planning my next race while I'm still racing my last race (twisted I know). This year my next race was already planned, so I planned my race after my next race. This could become a really vicious cycle. Anyway, I plan to do IM Mt. Tremblant in 2020. I've been told it's a must race, race. So if anyone if is thinking about it, it would be great to have the first (as far as I know) international manatee meet up in beautiful Quebec. Just something to think about.

Ive heard great things aboutMt Tremblant! If I were ever going to do another IM I’d consider it 

Edited by amd723 2018-10-24 5:05 PM
2018-10-25 6:44 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Past IM Louisville participants, what hotel would you stay at near the finish line and why? I saw that Nancy was looking for some feedback so I thought I'd just put it out there since we have a good number of Louisville alumni here.

i likes the Hyatt right at the finish. As you know, unlike Chattanooga, there is not one hotel that is good for transition/packet pick up and the finish line, so it was a good mile walk from the hotel to transition/ ironman Village, but I was happy to be right there at the finish line  when my race ended. There also seemed to be better dining options in that area. My Sherpa liked the hotel location too.

Kevin and I stayed at the Embassy Suites near the finish line. The room was generously sized and we appreciated the fridge and wet bar (nice tall faucet for filling bottles) along with the breakfast. All of the Manatees appreciated the evening manager's reception. Kevin liked that run course went by the hotel at about the halfway point and that it was right by the finish line. He felt that aspect of it was very sherpa-friendly.

As Ann-Marie mentioned, there is a bit of a hike from the finish line to the transition/Ironman Village area.

The negative to this hotel was that they only had valet parking. Since Kevin wanted to mountain bike (pro tip: I've been informed that Louisville mtb is not where it's at), he needed to get the car. After the first day, he figured out that parking at the city lot down the street was better for us. The valet parking was also and issue at check out because a zillion Ironman athletes all wanted to leave at the same time. They seemed to have quite a wait. Kevin walked down and picked up the car and we left while they were still waiting.

That being said, we'd stay at the Embassy again if I were ever to race in Louisville again.

2018-10-25 8:00 AM

User image

Expert

Past IM Louisville participants, what hotel would you stay at near the finish line and why? I saw that Nancy was looking for some feedback so I thought I'd just put it out there since we have a good number of Louisville alumni here.

I would stay at Embassy Suites Amenities and rooms and a lot better than the Gault House for the same price.

Parking was an issue/tricky this year because of construction. The walk is a few blocks more than other hotels, so the Sherpa's had a little more work.
It was nice to just step out of the hotel and have the pharmacy and 4th street right there. Especially since my Sherpa's had an exceptionally good time at the dueling piano bar on Friday night. I drank water.

Edited by JBacarella 2018-10-25 8:06 AM
2018-10-25 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

i likes the Hyatt right at the finish. As you know, unlike Chattanooga, there is not one hotel that is good for transition/packet pick up and the finish line, so it was a good mile walk from the hotel to transition/ ironman Village, but I was happy to be right there at the finish line  when my race ended. There also seemed to be better dining options in that area. My Sherpa liked the hotel location too.

Kevin and I stayed at the Embassy Suites near the finish line. The room was generously sized and we appreciated the fridge and wet bar (nice tall faucet for filling bottles) along with the breakfast. All of the Manatees appreciated the evening manager's reception. Kevin liked that run course went by the hotel at about the halfway point and that it was right by the finish line. He felt that aspect of it was very sherpa-friendly.

As Ann-Marie mentioned, there is a bit of a hike from the finish line to the transition/Ironman Village area.

The negative to this hotel was that they only had valet parking. Since Kevin wanted to mountain bike (pro tip: I've been informed that Louisville mtb is not where it's at), he needed to get the car. After the first day, he figured out that parking at the city lot down the street was better for us. The valet parking was also and issue at check out because a zillion Ironman athletes all wanted to leave at the same time. They seemed to have quite a wait. Kevin walked down and picked up the car and we left while they were still waiting.

That being said, we'd stay at the Embassy again if I were ever to race in Louisville again.

I think Embassy Suites is a good option too. Re parking, there was self parking available at the Hyatt, so I didn’t have any of those valet issues.

2018-10-25 9:19 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK I had a great day yesterday and getting away with some of Team Turtle was exactly what I needed. Despite the 40km/h wind and the rain I had a great run - beat my HM PB by about a minute and knocked over 30 minutes off my previous best marathon time E also dropped over 30 minutes off her marathon PB and broke the 4 hour mark, coming 9th overall and 3rd in her age group. After 15 months of not running because of her medial ligament damage and broken leg Mum was cleared by her physio to run and she finished the 10k.

That was all excellent! What a great Turtle Photo!

2018-10-25 9:25 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by lisac957

Announcing....

What: Manatee Mini Meet in Chattanooga! (aka Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga)

When: The weekend of May 19th

Where: Chattanooga, TN

Confirmed attendees: Lisa, Ann-Marie, Janyne

WHOOOOP! I better get to swim in that river!!! 

Hmmmm.... I could sherpa!

2018-10-25 9:27 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

POL post.

I just got back from the Virginia Creeper trail camping trip. I was happy that my torn knee and hip tendons allowed me to ride. I have never in my life been more wet and muddy (and cold) on a bike ride! We had a blast!  It was my first time there. I will go back but I may have to check out the New River trail, too.

2018-10-25 9:29 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Those of you who completed Chattanooga in the past (70.3 distance) and/or know 70.3 crazyness... What do you think about that race for beginner IM?
I am considering doing half IM next year, and looking for the best race to suite my level. If so many of you go to Choo, if that's the race I would be capable of doing, I would like to participate with Manatees That would be fantastic!
2018-10-25 12:14 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83 Those of you who completed Chattanooga in the past (70.3 distance) and/or know 70.3 crazyness... What do you think about that race for beginner IM? I am considering doing half IM next year, and looking for the best race to suite my level. If so many of you go to Choo, if that's the race I would be capable of doing, I would like to participate with Manatees That would be fantastic!

Good Question! The possibility is intriguing.

2018-10-25 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by marysia83 Those of you who completed Chattanooga in the past (70.3 distance) and/or know 70.3 crazyness... What do you think about that race for beginner IM? I am considering doing half IM next year, and looking for the best race to suite my level. If so many of you go to Choo, if that's the race I would be capable of doing, I would like to participate with Manatees That would be fantastic!

Is the course friendly? I'd say yes, if you are comfortable with a hilly bike (~2200 feet). The run is flat.

Swim: Rolling start, self seed by time. Shuttle from transition to swim start. About 300 upstream, then U-turn and the remainder of the swim is with the current. Wetsuit likely. (temperature cutoff is 76.1 and water temp expected to be in the low 70s).

Bike: Rolling hills with about 2200 feet of elevation gain. Two notable hills (one at about mile 25 when the course makes a sharp left on Andrews, the other is at about mile 45 or so, after Chickamauga and before heading back to town).

Run: Flat compared to the full but still not easy. About 500 feet of gain.

The not first timer friendly thing about it is that it's in Tier 3 pricing (read, spendy).

Note: This is NOT the same course that was used for 70.3 Worlds.

Full disclosure, my first half was at B2B. I still think that this is a good choice, although the event has been cursed since WTC wrested it out of the hands of Setup Events.

X

2018-10-25 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Is the course friendly? I'd say yes, if you are comfortable with a hilly bike (~2200 feet). The run is flat.

Swim: Rolling start, self seed by time. Shuttle from transition to swim start. About 300 upstream, then U-turn and the remainder of the swim is with the current. Wetsuit likely. (temperature cutoff is 76.1 and water temp expected to be in the low 70s).

Bike: Rolling hills with about 2200 feet of elevation gain. Two notable hills (one at about mile 25 when the course makes a sharp left on Andrews, the other is at about mile 45 or so, after Chickamauga and before heading back to town).

The not first timer friendly thing about it is that it's in Tier 3 pricing (read, spendy).

Full disclosure, my first half was at B2B. I still think that this is a good choice, although the event has been cursed since WTC wrested it out of the hands of Setup Events.

X

Ive not done the 70.3, but since the bike course is 1 loop of the full I can speak to that- I really liked the first loop of bike course , the secondloop was not my favorite . But hill training is highly recommended.  

2018-10-25 1:16 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

X

Thank you, Janyne, for the very helpful notes.
Yeah, the price went higher than I would expect: it is $325 now. However, on my list there is Madison, which is $300 already, so that's only 25 bucks extra.

I am used to swimming in 60s without wetsuit, so am not afraid of that. Biking is a hard answer for me, because it is super flat here where I live, thus, limited uphill training. But doable, based on some routes I managed at other states.
Oh, decisions, decisions...
2018-10-25 1:18 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Ive not done the 70.3, but since the bike course is 1 loop of the full I can speak to that- I really liked the first loop of bike course , the secondloop was not my favorite . But hill training is highly recommended.  

Now I am thinking: since the price is in the final tier anyway (it won't go up anymore), and I will be in Chattanooga for Thanksgiving, maybe I could ride it just to get a sense of how it feels, and go from there?
2018-10-25 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

Now I am thinking: since the price is in the final tier anyway (it won't go up anymore), and I will be in Chattanooga for Thanksgiving, maybe I could ride it just to get a sense of how it feels, and go from there?

If you decide to do that, I wouldn't bother to bike the "stick" part of the lollipop. Start at mile 10 or 12, at 193 and Chickamauga, and ride the other 36 miles or so.

Lisa can probably tell you about a good parking area -- or at least the parking area that the Atlanta Tri Club uses (good or not!)

Edited by jmkizer 2018-10-25 1:35 PM
2018-10-25 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

X

Did they change the 70.3 bike course? I thought when Karen did it they went up Lookout Mountain.

2018-10-25 1:33 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

X

Did they change the 70.3 bike course? I thought when Karen did it they went up Lookout Mountain.

Maybe that was for World’s.

2018-10-25 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

X

What Ann-Marie said. (run was also different)

2018-10-25 1:40 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
You all confused me enough
2018-10-25 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

X

Mmmmm, makes sense.  Chatty with one loop of each would be AWESOME!!!!!!!

Edited by rrrunner 2018-10-25 1:43 PM
2018-10-25 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

X

The 70.3 bike route is different from the 144.6 route in two ways

* 144.6 U-Turn form Cove onto Hog Jowl

* 70.3 takes a cutoff on Andrews (big hill here instead of the end of Cove) so Cove > Andrews > Hog Jowl

* At mile 5/110 or so in St. Elmo, the full takes the same path through town both ways, at 5/50, the 70.3 takes St. Elmo out and Tennessee (parallel street) back so very similar here bit not exactly the same.

2018-10-25 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

X

Thats why I’m registered!

2018-10-25 2:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, man(atees), you are making my brain hurt!  Decisions, decisions!

Long story short: there's a race I want to do but it has a qualifying restriction of sub-7 HIM.  I went 7:12 at LP 70.3 The 'wish-list'  (that's not actually on my blog wish-list, LOL) race people aren't answering my inquiry if 7:12 on a hillier, 'harder' 70.3 is sufficient and the hefty registration fee is non-refundable if they discover you don't meet the qualifying standard.  So I'm looking for a less hilly than LP half for 2019 to hopefully make the cut for the wish-list race in 2020.  

I really would love to race with the manatees but it sounds like the bike elevation is similar to LP although Chatt's run is possibly flatter?

A friend suggested Muncie in July - has anyone ever raced there?

Edited to add: I'm not afraid of the hills, I prefer a rolly, hilly race to dead flat, I'm simply looking for a race at which I can make the sub-7 qualification.  Further edit:  I think a dead flat bike would be pure torture so please don't suggest any such races.  The Oly at Williamsburg was too flat IMO.

Edited by melbo55 2018-10-25 2:33 PM
2018-10-25 2:44 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

Oh, man(atees), you are making my brain hurt!  Decisions, decisions!

Long story short: there's a race I want to do but it has a qualifying restriction of sub-7 HIM.  I went 7:12 at LP 70.3 The 'wish-list'  (that's not actually on my blog wish-list, LOL) race people aren't answering my inquiry if 7:12 on a hillier, 'harder' 70.3 is sufficient and the hefty registration fee is non-refundable if they discover you don't meet the qualifying standard.  So I'm looking for a less hilly than LP half for 2019 to hopefully make the cut for the wish-list race in 2020.  

I really would love to race with the manatees but it sounds like the bike elevation is similar to LP although Chatt's run is possibly flatter?

A friend suggested Muncie in July - has anyone ever raced there?

Edited to add: I'm not afraid of the hills, I prefer a rolly, hilly race to dead flat, I'm simply looking for a race at which I can make the sub-7 qualification.  Further edit:  I think a dead flat bike would be pure torture so please don't suggest any such races.  The Oly at Williamsburg was too flat IMO.

That is brainstorming with brain on fire!!
Melanie - look into the discussion I posted on the main forum. Several people commented on the Muncie. I hope you find their feedback helpful for decision making.
The only reason I won't be making that race is because I will most likely be traveling during that time... Otherwise, it seems like my perfect race for the first time!
2018-10-25 2:45 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Worlds course at Chatt was NOT the same bike or swim course. It was deliberately made difficult, for reasons that escape me. All but about 300m of the swim was UP river; yes, we went straight up Lookout Mountain on the bike at about mile 8 or 10. I think the run course was similar but maybe not exactly the same--two loop course with each loop an out and back on both sides of the river, and four bridge crossings. Some hills but nothing really extreme. Compared to the swim and run, it seemed almost easy....if I hadn't been both injured and extremely under-fueled (due to food poisoning) at the time. Basically a survival shuffle while nibbling on bananas and pretzels. Ugh.

I think I can't do Chatt 2019 as it is either the same weekend as St. George or the one before.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13532 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27292 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis