General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Annoying things? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-08-08 8:07 PM

Subject: Annoying things?
A couple things happened at our Wellness Center today and it got me thinking. I think I'm pretty tolerant but on the way home, I started thinking about all the things that are annoying at the gym. I will make a list Add to it if you would like. Maybe we can have some fun with this, and maybe some of you will recognize yourself

1) The Grunter. I sit on a stationary bike, and every 5 seconds or so let out a loud grunt. If your headphones aren't turned up loud enough, you will hear me. I always wanted to be a pro tennis player, but the grunt is all I could master.

2) I stink. No, I reek, and not from this workout either. Don't like it? Not fond of B.O. so strong it is like ammonia? Why shower this morning or last night when you know you will be working out 9 hours later? Plus, deodorant costs money too.

3) Benches are for bags, not humans to sit on. Want to put on your socks and shoes? Sorry dude. As you can see, my backpack and gym bag that would hold a volkswagon are occupying this 8 foot bench. You can sit on the floor though.

4) The towel bin is 5 feet away. There is even a sign that says "be stronger than gravity, pick up your towels." I just did a 2 hour workout and I am tapped out. Let my wet, sloppy towels lay. I gotta run!

5) Did you notice how much I sweat? See the "pools" around this bike? Did I forget to wipe it off with one of the wipes? Oops. Well, it will either dry, or you can wipe it off, or you can just wipe it with your shorts. No matter to me, my workout is done.

6) This is my locker room. I like to spread out. Similar to #3 but maybe worse. Yes, I know lockers are side by side, but what makes you think you can encroach upon my 100 square feet. My locker is 4 down from yours, but you will notice my shoes and shorts in front of yours. Want to get in your locker? I'll be done here in a few minutes. Just need to go to the sink and put junk in my hair. By the way, like my shades? I think it is cool to wear them in the locker room.

7) Aren't showers great? What is it about a good shower that just makes you want to aggressively clear your throat and honk up lougies the whole time you are in there? They go down the drain, don't they? Why would it gross anyone out to hear all that hacking and spitting, just because you have bare feet? Weird!

2018-08-08 8:47 PM
in reply to: Burchib

Subject: RE: Annoying things?
lol, we have a few of those, daily
2018-08-08 8:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

People you share a swim lane with who ask you what you are training for, so they can tell you they are training for a triathlon. 

If they were all drowned I'd be happier.

Get off my lawn.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-08-08 8:49 PM
2018-08-08 9:16 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Originally posted by Left Brain

People you share a swim lane with who ask you what you are training for, so they can tell you they are training for a triathlon. 

If they were all drowned I'd be happier.

Get off my lawn.

I tell them I'm working on getting to the other end of the pool.  Some day....  And if I make there, I'm gonna try to get back here.  Which makes the whole thing seem kinda pointless.  Well, life is pointless like that, ain't it?  Just going around in circles.  About then they stop asking.

2018-08-08 9:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Eh.....I'm only back to the pool since about 3 weeks ago.  I've not done a triathlon in 6 years.  I did my first in 1986...and this will be my 4th installment if I end up actually getting the bug to do one again.  I'm on the fence right now, but my kids are all out of the house next week and I'm gearing up for a bit of extra time......so maybe it'll happen.  But, maybe not....fishing is fun too.

If I can swim all winter maybe I'll start biking and running in the Spring......but I'm now 4 knee surgeries into my life....so who knows.  If I decide to do it, it'll likely be short lived. 

I really enjoy getting old.....it's absolutely liberating......but it's hard too.  Your brain never forgets what you used to be able to do....ugh....until it does.

Almost everything about people who do triathlon, or work out in any way, annoys me. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2018-08-08 9:35 PM
2018-08-08 9:33 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You guys have people in your gym pools who actually SWIM? That is the exception to the rule where I am swimming currently. And to the list of annoying things, will add:

*Water that is completely opaque after a "treatment". Could not even see my fingers while swimming. I was told to wait 20 minutes and it would be back to normal; four days later, it was still the same. I guess it was good practice for OWS sighting technique.

*I leave town for a race, come back a week later, and water is now clear-ish. Unfortunately it is now freezing cold. How can this happen when it is 100 degrees just outside the door? It did chase out most of the water-walkers though.

There are a couple of summer OWS options that seem to be warmer and clearer than the gym lately. Would switch gyms but the next closest place also has freezing cold water, year-round.Plus it costs about 5X as much.

2018-08-09 9:23 AM
in reply to: #5247684

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I workout at the student gym at the university where I work. There is a pretty clear division of use in terms of time, with the community members (read old people) working out in the morning and the students working out in the afternoons and presumably evenings (but I’ve never been there after 6pm, so I don’t know for sure).

Mostly these things happen when Someone crosses the time barrier.

1.) the flexer—mostly young men who spent countless minutes between sets flexing in the wall mirrors. Compound this if s/he then gets on machine and lifts 20#

2.) the texter—texts between sets in weight room. Spends four times more time texting than lifting. Occupies single machine for up to 30’ at a time

3.) the yeller—yells at top of lungs while lifting; see grunted above.

4.) the pig—doesn’t retail weights, doesn’t wipe down machines/benches when finished using them

5.) the occupier—occupies multiple machines at once by alternating between machines between sets. Informs anyone who tries to use machine not actively being used that it’s taken (ha—these people get ignored by me)
2018-08-09 10:18 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

These are funny, and I get it, people are annoying.

But to balance out the conversation, here's another perspective on people I've seen in my gyms lately:

The newbie: Clearly, it's one of their first times here. No clue what they are doing, fumbling around and looking like an idiot trying to figure out the equipment. They could probably use a smile and some encouragement. So, let's give them a friendly wave and if they're struggling, see if you can help.

The pool floater: Old lady taking up a lane with her pool noodle and I have to share a lane with her. Ugh. How dare she get some non weight bearing exercise in MY pool when I'M there?! Why is she staring at me? Look away! But when I stopped at the end of my set, she leaned over and told me how beautiful my stroke was, and how she wished she could swim like me. We ended up chatting for a minute and I realized that people floating or aqua jogging are not trying to get in your way, this lady was hugging the wall and intentionally giving me 90% of the lane, she apologized for being in my way even though she wasn't at all - she was so sweet.

The texter/phone talker: Can you put down your phone for a freaking MINUTE?! How are you possibly getting in a good workout while your nose is buried in that phone? I've learned that for some folks, they've got circumstances they need to deal with that you have no clue about. And yes, they're important enough to text whilst walking on the treadmill. Think about the mom whose child has Type 1 Diabetes and has just received an alert from insulin pump that indicates his blood sugar is crashing. You better believe she's texting or calling him to make sure he's OK and managing the situation appropriately. That's her job as a mom, on the treadmill or not.

2018-08-09 10:28 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

Wow, after reading these, I realized I forgot some too!
Our main pool is now the "lesson pool" for kids. Add about 5 degrees warmer water. Makes you dizzy after a long swim workout. Also, reduce hours significantly for lap swim. 5:30 to 8 am, and then 8pm to 9pm. Whoopie! Also, that warmer water has a negative impact on kids. 2 weeks ago, pool closed for 3 days due to one of the little ones having the runs during lessons. Now the chlorine in the pool tends to bleach out suits and cause skin to get red and itchy.

drfoodlove: Totally there with you on number 2 and 5!!

Woe is us I guess! Have a great week everyone

2018-08-09 10:30 AM

User image

Naked locker room guy ! Pretty much a stable at any YMCA. Walks around locker room buck naked shaving, conversing, stretching and generally lounging around for far to long. LB might be old enough now to be one of these denizens. There could very well be naked locker room lady ?
2018-08-09 10:35 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro

Nah, GP.......not quite there, but looking forward to that time in my life.

Lisa, no.  You can be forgiving, nice lady....I suppose somebody needs to......not me, no interest in that at all.

2018-08-09 2:13 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Naked locker room guy ! Pretty much a stable at any YMCA. Walks around locker room buck naked shaving, conversing, stretching and generally lounging around for far to long. LB might be old enough now to be one of these denizens. There could very well be naked locker room lady ?

Last winter I had to join a gym for the first time since I started the tri thing. Good gravy...the population of old men(and I'm 55) walking around au naturel was, I mean, I don't know...like, out there. Compared to the locker room in the pool-specific facility I'd been using, this gym was more of a nudist colony. Letting it all hang out/loose is fine in theory but running the gauntlet between my locker the shower was an exercise in moving with a purpose and staring straight ahead...
2018-08-09 8:31 PM
in reply to: #5247702

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
The frequency of naked old ladies is less than what I’ve heard about the naked old man problem. But every locker room has at least one person who feels free to let everything hang out for all activities.
2018-08-09 9:48 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, at my former pool in Oregon there was a naked locker room lady who walked all over for ages and did everything--trimming nails, hair, chatting, messing with pool toys in swim bag--stark naked. Maybe 60-ish? Possibly European (I know they have different norms about nudity there, especially the Scandinavians); somewhat butch looking, sexual orientation uncertain. I was unsure if that's just the way they do things in her country, she was trying to see and be seen, or what. Always found it a bit disconcerting (I will admit to being a pretty conservative small-town midwestern girl at heart in matters like these) and went to the private changing areas when she was around.

Ar our gym in Vietnam we had everything from people who walked around freely and chatted naked in the locker room to women you never saw until they emerged fully outfitted from behind the curtained off changing areas. It seemed to vary a lot with cultures. I don't know about guys' locker rooms, but in most of the gyms I've been in both stateside and overseas, there's a private changing option in the women's rooms.

I don't really mind the pool walkers. Most of the older folks at my gym are very nice and friendly and they do not seem to hog lanes or anything. It just surprises me that in a six-lane lap pool (there's also a smaller, warmer "therapy pool" where aqua-aerobics classes are held, and a kids' instructional pool), so few people actually swim!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Annoying things? Rss Feed