Esprit Triathlon
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 14s
Overall Rank = 326/376
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 38/44
Pre-race routine:

I wasn't feeling super good about this race because I knew that my training was lacking, but I thought I'll take it easy and get through. I had 2 eggs, toast and a waffle for brekkie.

This was the first time that I didn't prepare everything the night before, but I still slept well. The only problem, yet to be resolved, is that I couldn't find a pair of matching socks for the race. I looked everywhere, but at a certain point I thought I was not doing myself any favours, so I went with two different ones.
Event warmup:

I didn't do much of a warm-up. I set up my transition area and chatted with people. I met some of Katherine's (Lobstergirl) friends and made sure that they told her I said 'hi'. Turned out I'd meet her afterwards.

Jumped up and down, swung my arms, chatted with some more people.
Swim
  • 29m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had the best race swim I've ever had. It's a pretty narrow course and the water was cold, but I got in and just swam my race. I wanted to stay in the water for longer! The second 750 metres I had nobody bumping into me, so I was just out for a little swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nada. I felt good.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I got out of the water feeling strong and stable, I had no dizziness, loads of energy for the run to T1. I'd put body glide in liberal quantities around my ankles and that really helped to get the suit off.

I was having a blast. I got out quickly.

Nuthin.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 23s
  • 40 kms
  • 27.78 km/hr
Comments:

Okay, I felt like superman for this ride. I was averaging between 18 and 20 miles per hour (29 - 32 kph) and had no trouble with this pace. I knew that the run was going to be the hard part for me so I took it relatively easy here.

There was one group of riders who were clearly violating the no drafting rule. They passed me like a freight train. Also I saw the aftermath of a wipeout between 2 riders. Both were getting up in stunned silence.

Things were going great, they give the racers 8 stickers that you remove as you do a lap so you know when to get off. Here's where the wheels fell off my race.

On my last lap I decide to check my distance and I see that I'm at 21.1 miles. Also, my timer says 1:09 and change. So, I'm thinking there's no way that I did 40 km in 1:10. At this point I'm spinning just to prepare my legs for the run. I know I have 25 to do, but I used all of my stickers and did the extra lap. So now I have a dilemma, do I do the extra lap then get off, or do I get off and take my chances. Instead of doing one or the other, I decide to do both.

I get off, pass the end line for the ride and ask an official. He says that, according to my odometer, I have to do another lap (which I knew already, so why bother asking?). This all takes some time. So, I then run back to the start line, do one more lap at a faster pace and come into T2.

Did I do one lap too few? If you think so, consider this: I had 9 laps to do. My Mom, who was watching, figured my single lap time to be around 7:30. That would bring me in at about 1:07:30. Tack on my slow last lap and that makes 1:09 correct.

I think the only way I can know for sure is to go back and do 9 laps and time myself.

I don't know. Get somebody to count my laps for me?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Okay, T2 was another fun part of the race.

I ran in with my bike and my shoes on. Going down a slight hill I slip but don't fall. Then when I have to turn to go down my row, I fall for real. Nice scrape on my leg. I'll have to post a picture.

This maybe throws me off a bit, but I felt ok. I got out very quickly, just slipped my shoes on and I was gone... without my race number. So, about 100 metres in, I turn around, again thinking that without my number I'll be disqualified.

Tack on another couple of minutes for my stupidity.

Put my race number OVER my shoes, not under them!
Run
  • 1h 04m 18s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 26s  min/km
Comments:

In spite of the other problems that I faced, I was still positive. I thought that I could still finish below 3 hours if I just run out the 10k at a relaxed pace.

I made it through the first 5k at a constant slow run. At about 5.5k at a water station I stopped to take some water. Then I started again. Some time along there something happened to me. I started to really have trouble, even though my legs still felt ok. My breathing felt different, like I was breathing swimming pool air. I kept having to stop and walk. It was pretty funny, I stopped at one point and then just started right away again, unwilling to give in.

Others were suffering along the course. I ran by a guy who was walking and I said "c'mon, let's go". He ran with me for maybe 500 metres and then said "keep going". I did, but not for much longer. I was walking again at the 8k mark, and then I started up again when I guy passed me. I had to stop again, and he stopped too. His thighs were fried from the cycling. At about 1500 metres, I said, "we've gotta run this in." and he said, "we have to, all our friends are watching!" Let me tell you, if it hadn't been for that guy not stopping, I wouldn't have been able to continue.

It took everything I had to keep going at the end. I was done. I hit the finish line and took some gatorade and started looking through the crowd for a place to sit.

I need to do many more 10k runs to prepare for my next race.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat in the shade of a tent and my wife and Dad joined me. I managed to croak out "it was hard" and then I couldn't talk for at least 2 or 3 minutes. I was physically and emotionally wiped out.

I may sound like a wuss, but that was the hardest physical thing I've ever had to do.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor training.

Event comments:

Once I recovered sufficiently I went to get my meal ticket only to find the line for food to be longer than I was willing to tolerate.

My Dad insisted that I get my scraped leg looked at, and further insisted that I get a tetanus shot. The medical people cleaned the wound, then I packed up and left.

I met Katherine at the end of the race, some of her friends were talking to my parents and she was standing right next to them. It was very cool to meet my first US BTer.

Last updated: 2006-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:34 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/44
Overall: 0/376
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Fullsuit
Course: Out 750 metres and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:23 | 40 kms | 27.78 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Flat 9 times around the Gilles Villeneuve racetrack.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:18 | 10 kms | 06m 26s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat course around the Olympic basin.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 12:38 PM

Pro
Subject: Triathlon de Montreal

2006-09-18 1:08 PM
in reply to: #544616

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: RE: Triathlon de Montreal
Nice report, way to stick it out. You had a very good swim.
2006-09-18 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

It's brilliant that you had the Superman thang going on your bike, I'd love to feel like that at some stage!

That's an awesome effort, you're amazing!

I'll look out for your next report, because you're about 18 months ahead of me in terms of what I can do. I just did my first ever tri on 10 September, and it was only a mini-sprint!

Keep at it!

2006-09-18 1:13 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-18 1:14 PM

Giver

NIce swim and great report, but what a wierd bike! !0 laps? How many racers were there? Seems like it would have been way confusing...

Edit: 376. I'm so attentive.

Edited by run4yrlif 2006-09-18 1:15 PM
2006-09-18 1:15 PM

Congrats! I know you didn't feel top shape but still you finished! And I know what you mean about beeing confused for your laps on the bike circuit. Same thing happened to me. I had 20 laps to do. I counted them (no stickers for the HIM - I had a chip on my bike). I had my odometer too. I was confused because I thought I was #174 and I was #147... (I know - stoopid me - so confusing) so I was waiting for the race guy to tell me "174 last lap" so I didn't know... My odometer was at 87.85km when I asked him if I was off or what he said "GET OFF - YOU'RE DONE".. So I counted right but my odometer is not right - I had 88km total (I started it few seconds late). Whatever.

And the food line was soooo long. It didn't worth it. The meal was ridiculous. A little wrap, salads, watermelon, banana. That's it. You didn't miss much.

2006-09-18 1:16 PM

Gilbert, AZ
Don't you hate it when no one replies to your posts??? Definitely a bummer.

Sounds like overall, you had a pretty good race! Sorry to hear about the bike fiasco - that would be pretty discouraging. But it sounds like your swim was pretty awesome. I'm still waiting to meet my first BTer at a race, so I'm sure that must have been pretty cool.

Anyway, keep it up. Great job! I'm sure you'll do even better next time!
2006-09-18 1:17 PM

Master
Calgary, Alberta

Congratulations Rob!  Swimming in the Olympic Rowing basin eh?  I'm hoping it was cleaner than I remember it being.

Re the bike - check that your odometer is measuring correctly.  Bike a 10k route and then drive the same.  If they are the same (or close) then I'd question how they measured the course.

Re the run - good of you to tough it out.  The last 2.5 km of my first tri was tough as well but I can recall thinking - well good, glad it is, otherwise everyone would be able to complete an Olympic Tri.

Why do you think putting your race # on top of your shoes will help?  I like to put it under my shoes so that it doesn't blow away.  Then it is also the last thing I grab and can put it on as I run out of transition.

Re the fall - were you running in your bike shoes?  Practice running in barefeet - leaving your bike shoes clipped in your pedals.

Congratulations!  What's next?

Steve

2006-09-18 1:19 PM

Runner
Nice race. Now do me!
2006-09-18 1:19 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Dude...that was an AWESOME race.  You don't sound like a wuss at all.  You pushed your body to its limits and beyond.  That's what it's all about.  You jumped over the mental and physical hurdles and came in with an awesome time.

I always put my race number in my hat (I always wear one) and just grab both my had and number and put them on as or after I leave T2.  Might as well be going down course and put things on is what I was told.

Keep it up!!

2006-09-18 1:35 PM

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Congratulations, you did it. Poor training or not you finished - despite not having matching socks!

2006-09-18 2:05 PM

Pro
Orange Park Florida

Nice race!  I have enough troubles counting on a good day, way to go!

(validation complete....do we get a sticker or a stamp?)

2006-09-18 2:18 PM
in reply to: #544764

Crystal Lake, IL

You finished the same way I love to finish.  Completely wasted.  That takes a lot of mental effort to push yourself that hard.  Congratulations, at least you know you left it all out there on the course.

2006-09-18 2:21 PM
in reply to: #544685

Pro
CalgaryRunner - 2006-09-18 2:17 PM
Why do you think putting your race # on top of your shoes will help?  I like to put it under my shoes so that it doesn't blow away.  Then it is also the last thing I grab and can put it on as I run out of transition.

Re the fall - were you running in your bike shoes?  Practice running in barefeet - leaving your bike shoes clipped in your pedals.

Congratulations!  What's next?

Steve

Yeah, I put the number under my shoes, but then didn't notice it and left. Maybe I'll stuff it in a shoe so that I can be sure to take it.

I fell with my shoes on. No question, next race I'm going to leave them on the pedals. Seriously, it was not fun!

Next up is next year. My wife's having a baby, and I'm thinking if I only do 1 race, it'll be this one again, Oly distance, properly counted laps, barefoot in transition and with good run training.
2006-09-18 3:23 PM

Pro
Evanston,

Yay!  Congratulations on your race!

It sounds like you learned a couple of those "small" things that count for "experience" - like where to put the race number in your transition area!  Stuff like that takes practice. 

Also, i loved hearing that you and another guy encouraged each other along for the run.  My best race this year, an Oly, wouldn't have been the same without that.  Way to combine being a triathlete with being a decent human.

Congrats again!

ps:  hope you are feeling particularly validated. 

2006-09-18 3:48 PM
in reply to: #544882

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Congrats Rob!

Is there irony here that after a great swim you would have difficulty on the bike because of counting laps? (for me that always happens in the pool ) Sounds like it was pretty confusing.

Thanks for calling attention to your RR. See, advertising works.

Edited by dontracy 2006-09-18 3:49 PM

2006-09-18 3:53 PM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Prepared or not...it was a good race. There's a certain satisfaction in finishing a race that mentally you wanted to bag at some point during. Way to stick it out!
2006-09-18 6:23 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Nice work Opus. I knew that you'd do well. Your swim was awesome. That's a great feeling and based on that alone, I'd say that you had a successful race.

Good race report too. You can look back on this next year and compare RRs.

Jen
2006-09-18 7:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-18 8:00 PM

Master
San Mateo, CA
Very detailed RR.  Way to go on your Olympic tri.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon de Montreal Rss Feed