General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold North Triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-03-03 7:14 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2019-03-11 7:25 AM
in reply to: brickbd

Subject: RE: Cold North Triathletes
In Syracuse, NY... I just did my second outdoor run of 2019 on Saturday. I'm lucky that my gym is on the same campus that I work at, so I essentially just have to go to work 45-60 minutes early to get some kind of a workout in. Even with that benefit - it's been tough some of these weeks. Hopefully the sun will start poking through more and more and it is all uphill from here!
2019-03-11 7:38 AM

Master
, Minnesota
Gut it out indoors. This has been a tough winter for outdoor running and biking.
2019-03-12 12:30 AM

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Go figure! The cold outside has finally started to break here in the last few days and today the gym was packed with people both at lunch time and after work too!
2019-03-12 8:04 AM

Track intervals in the cold is my personal hell. Brrrrr
2019-03-12 3:08 PM
in reply to: t_dub_meh

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I know you're looking for commiseration but having a running buddy really got me out there - at least for the long runs. Otherwise it wouldn't have happened. Had a couple of pretty bad condition times but having someone to talk to made the time pass.

The bike trainer that's another issue all together! Haven't set my butt on that in a very long time and it's going to show come tri season :S 

2019-03-13 5:19 AM

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
As long as you dress appropriately, running in the cold is tolerable. This winter in Indiana, there has not been that much snow and the sidewalks have been pretty much clear all winter. At least clear enough for running.

This is a great time of year for my swimming. I swim at a HS natatorium during my lunch "hour" and all the swim lessons are done for the school year. I had to struggle through sharing a 9 lane pool with one other person. Life can be tough.
2019-03-13 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hello from Minnesota.

I always enjoyed swimming in the winter, because the pool always felt like a visit to the tropics.  Moist air, maybe even sunlight if I went to the pool with the big windows.   Sun on a winter day is life giving.

I personally love to run outside in the winter.  I have access to a treadmill, but it has to be some extreme stuff (basically white out blizzard) to keep my inside.  My gear list is long and I'm ready for all conditions.   I use this to my advantage on snowy days at work. I will skip out of work while the sun is still up and do my run near my office.  Then my drive home, at the tail end of rush hour, is a bit less awful.   A win win for me. 

The bike, well... it's on the trainer.  And I think I rode it once    

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2019-03-13 1:25 PM
2019-03-15 11:31 AM
in reply to: 0

Shakopee, Minnesota
I also love running outside in winter - sometimes the worse the conditions, the more "tough guy" points I'm earning from the people driving by.

However, this winter around my house the problem is that the paths are not getting cleared. Running on any path that is normally asphalt is risking a turned ankle with nearly every step.

My last outside run was the Hypothermic Half Marathon in Eden Prairie, MN back on Feb. 17.

The rain of the last few days has cleared some of the paths, but now it's all ice! We can't win!

Luckily, I got to three places for dreadmill runs, so there's at least a bit of variety. Plus the pool and exercise bike - more variety that I'm learning is a great benefit of this tri training.

Be safe out there, and as stated on GoT, "Spring is coming."

Edited by rpaulson7 2019-03-15 11:32 AM
2019-03-15 2:20 PM

Wow,
It has been tough. Not only is it hard to get to the pool in these North Dakota temps, we have also been pounded by so much snow and storms this winter sometimes the only time I have is to blow out the driveway so I can get to work on time.
I will say that this winter has impacted my training volume without hesitation. 2 small examples. Last Sunday had to go to lake and blow snow for 2 hours and shovel snow off my garage so it wouldn't collapse. This was a running day. No way. So tired could hardly stay awake past 6pm. I guess a workout though? Tuesday of this week had to shovel snow off my house after getting pounded again with 8 inches of snow. This was an evening I was supposed to cycle at the gym. No way. You get the idea...rinse and repeat since December.
So, I am really looking forward to Spring!!
2019-03-18 4:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I kept my motivation up by signing up for a tri camp in California.
Live in Kansas and been inside since November.

I knew I didn't want to show up and blow up at the camp, so I at least needed to be able to cover the workouts with my training thus far.

Good thing I did what I did or I would have been toast, and it wasn't a volume intense camp.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold North Triathletes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Any Triathletes Out There Suffer From Gout?

Started by RockHead
Views: 1028 Posts: 10

2019-03-03 8:44 PM jpetrehn

First Aid for Triathletes - Reposted from Articles

Started by k9car363
Views: 561 Posts: 1

2018-10-31 2:41 AM k9car363

Central Ohio triathletes - Swim Clinic w/former university coach

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 852 Posts: 3

2018-10-10 11:16 PM alicefoeller

The Importance of Sleep for Triathletes - Reposted from Articles

Started by k9car363
Views: 677 Posts: 1

2018-07-03 2:30 PM k9car363

Which state has the highest per capita triathletes?

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1581 Posts: 3

2018-04-10 2:17 PM b2run