General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Peaks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-11-06 6:44 AM

Subject: Training Peaks
Can anyone give me a good insight on Training Peaks? This seems like the best option for me monetary-wise as I can't really afford a coach. I am doing a HIM in June of 2020 and plan to start training after the new year. Training Peaks seems to be the most popular site people are using and I wanted to know what people thought, good and bad. Any responses are greatly appreciated

2019-11-06 7:29 AM
in reply to: jdwyer02

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Training Peaks

What are you specifically looking for in a training site...a training log?  a training plan?  less-expensive coaching? 

I use this site, Training Peaks, and Strava (AND TrainerRoad AND Sufferfest...oh, and an occasional race on Zwift LOL) for different reasons.

BT:  single source of truth for about 10 years worth of workouts, plus my training "diary"

Training Peaks:  my annual and training plan (I pay for the membership and get the general Annual Training Plan feature, then self-coach my own weekly plans)

Strava:  social and KOM chasing

TR, SF, and Zwift:  workouts and recording on the bike trainer (and outdoors for Strava)

Training Peaks is GREAT to plan with, but I don't love the calendar interface all that much as it requires too much clicking to see stuff.  So I continue to use BT for comments.

2019-11-06 7:38 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

I am looking for a training plan and a little coaching. I fear with doing my bike indoors, I won't be able log my accurate bike times/distances
2019-11-06 10:02 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jdwyer02 I am looking for a training plan and a little coaching. I fear with doing my bike indoors, I won't be able log my accurate bike times/distances

It takes me 52 minutes on average to do an 18-mile ride outdoors and 60 minutes to log 18 miles on the bike trainer indoors.  So...no, you can't log the same things indoors as you do outdoors but outdoors I am doing heart-rate training, since I don't have a power meter, and indoors I use trainer roads and do virtual power training. So...plan your indoor training for indoors and only compare indoor rides to other indoor rides and plan your outdoor training for outdoors and pay attention to what gears you have used indoor at different levels of effort and by using the same gearing and same cadence outdoors you will be right where you need to be (but possibly 2 mph faster than what the indoor trainer clocks you at).  

I second that I like the BT calendar better than the Training Peaks calendar.  I only have a free Training Peaks account so I can't do season planning in Training Peaks.  Lately, I have been doing my season planning in Trainer Roads (I have the paid access to it). I was hooked-up with a coach for the 2018 season and my coach got all of my workout data in Training Peaks and I got all my scheduled training in Training Peak (I can't upload planned workouts more than a day in advance with the free account but working with a coach the coach could upload workouts further out).  Working with a coach the Training Peaks worked great, but working on my own with a free account the only value that it added for me was my TSS calculations.  I know there is optional analysis software you can purchase in training peaks (WK4 or something like that) that I am sure is very helpful if you are doing fatigue calculations with TSS, etc..  Next time they have a 30-day free trial I may have to take a look at it, but I don't think that I will get that detailed into most of my workout planning.   

2019-11-06 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I've only been using TP for the last couple of months. I started so a coach could input suggested workouts and I must admit, I really like the TP interface. But what I'm really digging about TP is the CTL/Fatigue/Form scores. Way more robust than the Intensity Score I get on Strava or Garmin Connect.
2019-11-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: alltom1

Thank you for the responses

2019-11-07 9:05 AM

User image

I have a love / hate relationship with Training Peaks. I love that it connects with my data collection and I don't have to manually record my workouts. Except it's kind of glitchy and I don't like how it groups the data always. Like why can't it know that a brick workout is two parts and break that out? Sorry - pet peeve.

However, I also love Garmin Connect, Strava and I have a Google Calendar for my family and an old-school paper planner. Perhaps I just have planner issues. Lol. But honestly as a busy person having one calendar that is just my training isn't all that helpful. I used to love that it emailed me my workouts but now it seems very old school. I like to look at my training by itself but I actually need to schedule my training in my life and I don't think it connects to ical which makes no sense.

Training Peaks is the biggest training calendar but there are others. As a technology it's old and the mobile app and the desktop app aren't totally the same which drives me bananas. Also, it's priced like a cable tv service it's free until you want the feature that you really need and then you need to pay. Honestly, that feels annoying.

They have a HUGE directory of training plans available which is nice.

I don't know if this is all that helpful. I wish there was an easy better planning software that worked better. People like Final Surge but I haven't tried it.

What race did you choose in June?
2019-11-07 11:31 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

Thank you for the detailed response.
I am most likely doing the Aurora BayCare Cliff 70.3 in Sherwood, WI
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Peaks Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training Enjoyment vs a Training Job

Started by scottficek
Views: 684 Posts: 6