General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike vs run training time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-12-22 9:17 AM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Bike vs run training time
If there are any age groupers out there in the 11-14 hour Iron distance times, how much time do you spend on the bike vs running in hours? In reviewing my training plan for the last few years I'm wondering if I'm running too much. Since 2017 I've typically been about the 1.25 hours on the bike for every hour running. Looking back seems like maybe a little more time in the saddle is appropriate. Anyone willing to share roughly how thier training hours split? Yes, probably time to get a coach....

2020-12-22 11:15 AM
in reply to: ndechant

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bike vs run training time

I’ve done 3, never breaking 12 hours but all below 14.  

Typical for me was ~3000 miles on the bike (167 hours @18 mph) and ~1200 miles running (170 hours @ 8:45 pace) in the 12 months leading up to the race.  BUT...I was doing ultras in addition to 140.6.  

in the 2 months prior to taper, I’d ride 10 hours per week and run 5.  

Were you following a plan?
How closely did you follow it?
Do you feel your bike fitness didn’t support your race goals?

2020-12-22 11:54 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Thank you for your reply and wow that was easy! I was almost exactly the same in 2018/2019 except in metric and much slower than you! Three ultras in 2018/2019 and was stuck a bit between the training plans....

I've only done one full and the run didn't suppor the goals. The bike was exactly what I expected from training - then to this day I don't know what happened after that! Perhaps was the bike fitness or the bike nutrition - or both. I'm looking back now trying to adjust the plan and it seems according to the internet more hours on the bike will really help...

I'd expected with approrpiate bike training and a decent run fitness the race would just fit togetther.

N

2020-12-22 8:04 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I looked for your race report and didn’t find one, so it’s hard to know how you did or what you might change.  I only have the details of your two posts to work from.  

For me, my race runs were never close to target and bike nutrition might have contributed to my poor runs.  (For sure on IMCdA).

I’d say if your race execution was consistent with your training, it isn’t “fitness “ per se but improved fitness will help cut time out of your race.  I’ll also say train with a purpose which means set your race goals and train accordingly.  If you want a 30 km/hr bike split, you can’t putz along satisfied with 25 km/hr training rides.  

2020-12-22 10:27 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Thank you for your input. I'm impressed you can speak my metric language! Have a great 2021!
2020-12-23 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ndechant

If there are any age groupers out there in the 11-14 hour Iron distance times, how much time do you spend on the bike vs running in hours? In reviewing my training plan for the last few years I'm wondering if I'm running too much. Since 2017 I've typically been about the 1.25 hours on the bike for every hour running. Looking back seems like maybe a little more time in the saddle is appropriate. Anyone willing to share roughly how thier training hours split? Yes, probably time to get a coach....

At 55 I was a little under 11 hours.

At a peak I was probably doing 5 hours running and 9 hours biking

2020-12-24 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
My take is you might set yourself up for some immediate improvement in your IM finishing times by biking more...of course without seeing race results or training log, it's impossible to say for sure. The more structure that additional bike training has, the faster you'll see results. So, yeah, a coach would help but just following an online program could do the job, too..

Best of luck with your training!
2020-12-27 3:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ndechant If there are any age groupers out there in the 11-14 hour Iron distance times, how much time do you spend on the bike vs running in hours? In reviewing my training plan for the last few years I'm wondering if I'm running too much. Since 2017 I've typically been about the 1.25 hours on the bike for every hour running. Looking back seems like maybe a little more time in the saddle is appropriate. Anyone willing to share roughly how thier training hours split? Yes, probably time to get a coach....

While there isn't a "one size fits all" answer for this, for all of my long course athletes the training duration ratio is typically pretty close to 1:2:1 swim:bike:run (for the record I've guided hundreds of athletes to long course triathlon finishes, both 70.3 and 140.6).  An individual athlete's prior experience may influence the ratio slightly.  In general, you need to swim enough so that you can remain aerobic in the water, ride enough that you are strong on the bike, and run enough to be comfortable running for 4-5 + hours (for 140.6).  If you are going to error, error on the side of too much bike.

2020-12-28 10:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I did a 12:45 at IM Malaysia (hot, humid, hilly bike course with some bike issues) at age 49 in 2018. As I recall, I averaged about a 1/2.5/1.5 ratio for swim/bike/run time that year in training (roughly 100/250/150 hours respectively). For me that was a LOT more biking than I was used to (prior to that I'd only done HIM and shorter events), slightly more swim volume, and really not much more run volume than for competitive HIM. At the time I was worried that it wasn't enough run volume (I had only one training run in the 3-hour range, and I hadn't done a stand-alone marathon in over 20 years) but the run in the actual event went fine--I only walked part of each aid station to take in fluids and nutrition and prevent overheating. Probably would have been a bit more competitive (I was third AG, a stronger run might have gotten me into 2nd but probably not first) with a bit more run volume/quality if I could have stayed healthy for that, but not sure I could have.

My impression from my one experience (so far) with full IM is that bike fitness is really key. Without that, no matter how strong a stand-alone runner you are, for most age-groupers the run will involve a while lot of walking at best, DNF at worst. Probably to get into the KQ pointy end of things, it would be helpful to work the run a bit more. But I'm guessing that would come at high risk of injury for a lot of people. What I liked least about IM training was that it seemed that EVERY SINGLE RUN I was doing it on legs that were already tired from cycling. It got to the point where I really didn't like running that much anymore. I made an effort to do my longer runs somewhere really scenic so I could try to forget how tired my legs were! I think that level of fatigue leaves one pretty vulnerable to injury if the run volume is too great or there's too much speed work, especially for master's athletes and those new to the distance, so it would be better to err on the side of caution in most cases.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-12-28 10:59 PM
2021-01-22 9:43 AM

User image

You should spend significantly more time biking than running. There are 2 major reasons:

1) Because you can. You can spend a lot more time on your bike stimulating a training response in your body than running simply because it is easier on your body. You don't need to recover from the impact that you get from running. You can put in a lot of time on the bike without impacting your other training or risk of overuse injuries.

2) Because having a great Ironman run is largely dependent on being a very fit cyclist. You need to get off the bike after 112 miles READY to run a marathon. You can't be seriously depleted. It needs to be relatively easy. If it's not, your run will suffer a lot, no matter how great a marathoner you are.

This is true no matter how fast you are. Ive done 4 IM's and maybe 35 70.3's. I'm 43. I'm a 9:50 IM guy and a 4:27ish 70.3 guy (the IM is tough to get perfect!) I spend about 7-10 hours a week on the bike. About 3-3.5 hours running. About 2.3 hours swimming.

Edited by RowToTri 2021-01-22 9:48 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike vs run training time Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Echelon bike for training?

Started by CBarnes
Views: 676 Posts: 3

2020-08-31 1:19 PM Flanker33K

Tri Bike vs Road Bike with aero add ons

Started by NealeinMI
Views: 1203 Posts: 9

2020-07-29 11:45 AM Porfirio

01.07.2020 Tuesday Training - Post YOUR Training

Started by PigeonTri
Views: 448 Posts: 5

2020-01-08 6:49 AM jdwyer02

Is a lsd run necessary in triathlon training?

Started by b2run
Views: 2412 Posts: 14

2020-01-04 2:37 AM miklcct

garmin vs strava on bike

Started by stevegrossca
Views: 2176 Posts: 10

2020-01-24 7:34 PM adamsmith02