BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-05-03 3:24 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by bulfrog

Mike The nice thing about sailing tho, is I could sail on other peoples boats. People get grumpy if you try to jump on someone elses bike in T1.

Nicole Nice to see you back, and gearing up for summer. Are you brave enough to plan any races for the summer?

Me 4 runs last week, 3 x 20 minute and 1 x 40 minute, all easy paced. After a couple of runs after my first physio, I'm a big fan of the pre run dynamic stretching. It may be coincidence, but I've had the least pain/tightness on the 2 runs I've used the prescribed warm up. foam rolling however, not a fan. Especially the IT band one. Big pain. But I will stick with it, and I'm sure it'll get better.

Aim for this week is 5 runs (3 x 20 min, 2 x 40 min, all easy) and 2 x 30 min zwift rides.... something closer to normal life.

Also, I did a thing.

Entries for the Tauranga Half Ironman opened on the weekend. Opening special was $50 saving... I didn't really have a choice with that sort of deal.
Looks like I've confirmed my A race target for next summer

Hope you all had a good weekend.

I'm not sure yet about races other than the ragnar (August) and my sprint tri in October. It will depend on how much swimming I get into. I'm planning on hitting up masters on Saturdays, so we'll see how that goes. I otherwise don't have anywhere to swim at this time. I haven't gone back to teaching swim lessons at the gym and don't feel ready to pay $120 for a membership there, lol

Yay for deals on races! And goal races!

2021-05-03 3:33 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Played some football on Saturday. Took yesterday off because I was hella sore, and went to my gym this morning. Have vball tonight, and am going to run tomorrow.
2021-05-04 6:34 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by bulfrog Mike The nice thing about sailing tho, is I could sail on other peoples boats. People get grumpy if you try to jump on someone elses bike in T1. Nicole Nice to see you back, and gearing up for summer. Are you brave enough to plan any races for the summer? Me 4 runs last week, 3 x 20 minute and 1 x 40 minute, all easy paced. After a couple of runs after my first physio, I'm a big fan of the pre run dynamic stretching. It may be coincidence, but I've had the least pain/tightness on the 2 runs I've used the prescribed warm up. foam rolling however, not a fan. Especially the IT band one. Big pain. But I will stick with it, and I'm sure it'll get better. Aim for this week is 5 runs (3 x 20 min, 2 x 40 min, all easy) and 2 x 30 min zwift rides.... something closer to normal life. Also, I did a thing. Entries for the Tauranga Half Ironman opened on the weekend. Opening special was $50 saving... I didn't really have a choice with that sort of deal. Looks like I've confirmed my A race target for next summer Hope you all had a good weekend.
I'm not sure yet about races other than the ragnar (August) and my sprint tri in October. It will depend on how much swimming I get into. I'm planning on hitting up masters on Saturdays, so we'll see how that goes. I otherwise don't have anywhere to swim at this time. I haven't gone back to teaching swim lessons at the gym and don't feel ready to pay $120 for a membership there, lol Yay for deals on races! And goal races!

I've been contemplating moving to the Y (that's the YMCA for those of you non-US people...it's a non-profit gym / child care / camp organization).  Now that my daughter isn't there, I'm paying $110/month for just me.  It's a REALLY nice gym and all but the Y is half the price and actually closer to where I live.

2021-05-04 7:17 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Recovery week for me this week after three really strong training weeks, pushing 500 TSS last week.  Planning on two full days off plus two days of just doing Bikram, and then I'll do two days of a little bit of everything with some intensity.

Race season is starting to come a little more into focus, though I'm not going to pull the trigger on anything else right now until the dates are more solid.

I also FINALLY got my time trial bike put together and I'm picking it up later this week.  Pics will surely follow!! 

2021-05-04 8:15 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Did rugby training on Sunday (mainly involving smashing into foam/rubber tackle bags) and rehydrated with 

i am joining a leisurely led ride from next Monday 6pm; a great way to loosen the legs after rugby and ensure I get out the house to exercise

2021-05-04 1:59 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Hi BDASers:

I hope some of you remember me. I know I haven't been here for a while and that's because I haven't exercised in a year. I hope there is still room for me to join back up. I need the accountability that this group has provided me in the past. I hope everyone is doing well and staying happy and healthy.

Here's my bio:

NAME: David

EXPERIENCE: I started doing triathlons back in 2011 but I didn't get serious about it until the next year when I lost 96 pounds and completed a bunch of races including a 70.3. Two years later, I completed IMMT in 11:26 (I am a serious back of the packer). In 2017, I ran the Boston Marathon, which is a race everyone should do once in their lives. After finishing the marathon, I bought a really comfortable couch and I became a professional couch potato. Due to my weight, I'm always battling injuries and am a lover of ice baths and my PT (who used to be a former student of mine).

FAMILY: I have three kids - two boys in college and a daughter in middle school. I'm divorced (that process took three years and we finally signed the papers last year. Best thing that ever happened to me. She left me but I have since met a wonderful woman and we've been dating for three years.

TRAINING: Right now, I am getting back into training. I'd like to get into a groove of biking 4x per week, running 3x per week, and swimming 2x per week. I'm gonna take it slow so I don't hurt myself ramping up. Plus I've got a lot of weight to lose before I can start the serious pounding.

RACING: The only thing on my calendar this year is the virtual Boston Marathon, which will take place in October. I plan on running on a local bike path to take the elevation out of the picture. The coolest part about it is that I also got my son to sign up so we will be doing it together. So cool!

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: Here's what I'm going to try to commit to - I will check BT 5 times a week and I promise to help support you all in any way I can. This group means a lot to me and I owe most of what I've accomplished in the sport to the support I've gotten from my BDAS friends.

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): I can't answer that question - I have too many favorites. The two beers that I am drinking now are Pacifico and Hoegarden - both of which I enjoy with a large slice of lemon. I just bought a new grill and nothing gives me more pleasure than sucking down a beer while cooking every evening.

2021-05-04 3:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
I also FINALLY got my time trial bike put together and I'm picking it up later this week.  Pics will surely follow!! 

Bring on the bike p0rn!

Edited by bulfrog 2021-05-04 3:01 PM
2021-05-04 3:09 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Qua17

Hi BDASers:

I hope some of you remember me. I know I haven't been here for a while and that's because I haven't exercised in a year. I hope there is still room for me to join back up. I need the accountability that this group has provided me in the past. I hope everyone is doing well and staying happy and healthy.

Welcome back David. It is pretty quiet here these days, but there are some of us still hanging around.

It's nice to see that you're in a good place now. I'm sure that your return to training will be a success. Looking forward to offering some support back to you as you check off those goals.
2021-05-04 3:12 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
2 short easy 20 minute runs for me so far this week. Both followed by a stretching foam rolling session.

Foam rolling sucks, but I think my knee/hip is starting to feel better (or at least less bad) already, after only 3 stretching sessions. So I'm feeling good about things.
2021-05-04 9:36 PM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

, Vermont
Hi all, I’ve been trying to catch up with everyone’s posts - Andrew, great job on the IM! I haven’t read your race report yet but will. I’m glad you’re figuring out your knee.
Mike, I can’t wait to see your TT bike!
DQ!!! Yaaaay!!
Alan, I still follow you on Strava too, it’s so great to see you here! I hope to get to Tremblant this year but it’s looking a little doubtful with the shutdowns.

I’m still around, had covid as I think I told you but can’t remember. I still need to do my bio, oops. I just got my second shot today and had my dentist appointment yesterday - same boat as you, Mike! I hope to not feel like poo tomorrow. So far as sore arm. I’m heading to sleep but I’ll fill in gaps soon. New bike on the way here too, but not until June/July.
2021-05-05 7:33 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog Mike The nice thing about sailing tho, is I could sail on other peoples boats. People get grumpy if you try to jump on someone elses bike in T1. Nicole Nice to see you back, and gearing up for summer. Are you brave enough to plan any races for the summer? Me 4 runs last week, 3 x 20 minute and 1 x 40 minute, all easy paced. After a couple of runs after my first physio, I'm a big fan of the pre run dynamic stretching. It may be coincidence, but I've had the least pain/tightness on the 2 runs I've used the prescribed warm up. foam rolling however, not a fan. Especially the IT band one. Big pain. But I will stick with it, and I'm sure it'll get better. Aim for this week is 5 runs (3 x 20 min, 2 x 40 min, all easy) and 2 x 30 min zwift rides.... something closer to normal life. Also, I did a thing. Entries for the Tauranga Half Ironman opened on the weekend. Opening special was $50 saving... I didn't really have a choice with that sort of deal. Looks like I've confirmed my A race target for next summer Hope you all had a good weekend.
I'm not sure yet about races other than the ragnar (August) and my sprint tri in October. It will depend on how much swimming I get into. I'm planning on hitting up masters on Saturdays, so we'll see how that goes. I otherwise don't have anywhere to swim at this time. I haven't gone back to teaching swim lessons at the gym and don't feel ready to pay $120 for a membership there, lol Yay for deals on races! And goal races!

I've been contemplating moving to the Y (that's the YMCA for those of you non-US people...it's a non-profit gym / child care / camp organization).  Now that my daughter isn't there, I'm paying $110/month for just me.  It's a REALLY nice gym and all but the Y is half the price and actually closer to where I live.

I get that! I might get a membership at the Patterson Park pool for the summer, and then just do Masters at Towson Merritt on Saturdays.

2021-05-05 7:36 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

2 short easy 20 minute runs for me so far this week. Both followed by a stretching foam rolling session.

Foam rolling sucks, but I think my knee/hip is starting to feel better (or at least less bad) already, after only 3 stretching sessions. So I'm feeling good about things.

Foam rollers are magical, albeit a casual torture device!
2021-05-05 7:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, welcome back!!! Definitely let us know how we can support you in your goals, even if it includes some fb messages if I haven't seen you for a bit!

Looks like activity is picking up on here this week, which is wonderful!

I went on a 3 mile run yesterday, which was a little painful, but in the best way. Need to get back in a groove so I can do some longer runs. Also need to focus on my pace. I always want to go fast but need to get some distance in, so have to slow it down a little. Went to my gym this morning, and have my axe playoffs tonight
2021-05-05 7:56 AM

User image

Expert

Hi BDASers:

Welcome back David. It is pretty quiet here these days, but there are some of us still hanging around.

It's nice to see that you're in a good place now. I'm sure that your return to training will be a success. Looking forward to offering some support back to you as you check off those goals.

Thanks Andrew - With all my potential injuries just dying to come out and bug me, I'm gonna need this group to convince me that less is more. Now that I'm 50 - that should be an easy concept to get. Problem is - my brain still thinks my body is 16 years old and it pushes it in ways that lead to injury. So, I've got to do the work, but I have to be smart about it! Thanks in advance for the support. I'm gonna need it.
2021-05-05 8:01 AM

User image

Expert

DQ, welcome back!!! Definitely let us know how we can support you in your goals, even if it includes some fb messages if I haven't seen you for a bit!

Yes, please bug me on Facebook. I've signed up to do this marathon with my oldest son who I don't get to see as much of because of the divorce. So this time with him is precious to me - so I've got to be sure to make this happen so I can do this and spend some time with him. That's what I'm really in it for. Yea that and losing about 40 pounds so I don't scare my girlfriend to death when I'm sleeping (I have sleep apnea).

So yes bug me!

Glad to be back with you.

DQ
2021-05-05 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e DQ, welcome back!!! Definitely let us know how we can support you in your goals, even if it includes some fb messages if I haven't seen you for a bit!
Yes, please bug me on Facebook. I've signed up to do this marathon with my oldest son who I don't get to see as much of because of the divorce. So this time with him is precious to me - so I've got to be sure to make this happen so I can do this and spend some time with him. That's what I'm really in it for. Yea that and losing about 40 pounds so I don't scare my girlfriend to death when I'm sleeping (I have sleep apnea). So yes bug me! Glad to be back with you. DQ

Welcome back, Dave!  Just keep checking in, though it has been a little more quiet this year.

Good to see Jenn back too! 

2021-05-06 4:51 AM
in reply to: #5275950

User image

, Vermont
3 hour trainer ride for me Saturday, 1:15 run Monday. Tuesday was my youngest son’s birthday and I got my second covid shot that day so I didn’t end up having time to squeak a workout in. Yesterday I had to lay low from the shot. Today I commute to Louisville so I hope to get a brick done there. I still haven’t been in a pool in over a year, but now that I’ve had my shots I just have to wait two weeks and I can finally get back in the water.
2021-05-06 12:21 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Welcome( back)Dave! And Jen too.

My man got me a massage gun for my birthday, although I had told him I didn’t want one. The reason I didn’t want one is that I think it would be easy to overuse/not use properly and it can do more harm than good.

What do you guys think? (About the massage gun, not about the fact that hubby doesn’t listen, I’ll ask that one on a marriage counseling forum! )

Anybody uses one?
2021-05-06 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 3 hour trainer ride for me Saturday, 1:15 run Monday. Tuesday was my youngest son’s birthday and I got my second covid shot that day so I didn’t end up having time to squeak a workout in. Yesterday I had to lay low from the shot. Today I commute to Louisville so I hope to get a brick done there. I still haven’t been in a pool in over a year, but now that I’ve had my shots I just have to wait two weeks and I can finally get back in the water.

That sounds like torture - I pretty much peak at just over 2 hours and that takes some serious entertainment to get there.

2021-05-06 1:10 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Welcome( back)Dave! And Jen too. My man got me a massage gun for my birthday, although I had told him I didn’t want one. The reason I didn’t want one is that I think it would be easy to overuse/not use properly and it can do more harm than good. What do you guys think? (About the massage gun, not about the fact that hubby doesn’t listen, I’ll ask that one on a marriage counseling forum! ) Anybody uses one?

I've seen those things on TV and my wife jokes that I need one. 

My guess is that there are some tutorials on how to use it properly, and they probably don't involve torturing the cat. 

2021-05-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: #5275961

User image

, Vermont
@ Mike, yeah, 3 hours was brutal. I haven’t been on a trainer that long in a few years but we haven’t had the greatest weather. The nice thing was my husband joined me during the first hour by riding the Peloton, then my oldest came down during the second hour and road it, and finally my youngest came down and rode it at the beginning of my third hour. Then the two boys horsed around in the room throwing yoga blocks at each other and whatnot until I finally had boot them out. Hahaha.

@ Nathalie: I have a massage gun thing and I do agree with you it can be misused for sure. I put mine on the lightest setting and I think I still over-did it and now my right glute is paying for it for a few months now. I’ve gone back to foam rolling instead for now. Maybe start slowly and gently with it?

2021-05-06 2:08 PM
in reply to: #5275965

User image

, Vermont
Hi guys, I'm hoping I can re-join. Here's the bio finally...

NAME: Jenn (aviatrix802)

STORY: 50 years old - actually turn 51 next week. (Yeah, I’m THAT old). I did my first tri probably in 2014? I started off with sprints and Olys then the following year did Oly’s and was signed up for Tupper Lake Toughman Tinman HIM but tweaked my knee so switched to Aquabike that year. 2016 I did Tupper Lake Tinman again to prep for IMMT. I went up to Mont Tremblant a few times to train on course (so beautiful) and went into IMMT well prepared. Horrible weather that year (race was almost canceled), wound up getting hypothermia and dropped 60 miles into the bike. I was racing well so it was a HUGE disappointment. Two weeks later I did Big George HIM in Lake George, NY because I was so mad. Haha. Felt great, got 2nd in my age group and destroyed my left piriformis in the process. I took 2017 off from racing from that injury and it’s been a very slow comeback and I’m not in nearly the shape I used to be. I was supposed to do IMLP in 2019 after deferring in 2018 due to a death in the family but training for a new job prevented me from training adequately so that was $$ down the drain. I was supposed to do IMMT last summer as redemption but the pandemic nixed that so it’s rolled to this year. We’ll see if it goes - looks doubtful but as a backup I signed up for a full in Lake George, NY on Labor Day weekend so something’s going to happen. That race is the same course as the half’s I’ve done there before so that’s a bonus.

FAMILY STATUS: married, 2 boys (14 & 16), and a 14.5 year old dog named Starsky

CURRENT TRAINING: I’m following the Be Iron Fit program again as it prepared well before. My goal this year with crazy schedules is to just finish. I'm debating if I bring a coach in at some point just to help figure out my work schedule and fitting workouts in but honestly I don't know it would help.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: A-Race: IMMT in late August or Lake George 170.3 and maybe a virtual race to prep

UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS: This year I’ll just try to be consistent as best I can with some kind of training. Eating right can also be a challenge as well on the road.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I will be a good mentee because I come from the land of craft beers. Hahaha. I love to read up and follow others’ progress and be their cheerleader if I can and when needed. I have a little bit of experience in different length tri’s and can pass along tidbits of things I’ve learned along the way and by the same token am always looking to learn more.

Favorite beers: I love our local Switchback Ale as an easy drinking, go-to beer apres ski or any time. I love Porters, heffe weissen, ales, a couple of fruity beers (blueberry ones out of Maine), pretty much anything except overly hoppy IPA's.
2021-05-06 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Jen Welcome back. I've got to agree with Mike, great job with 3 hours on a trainer that's pretty brutal. The most I've managed is 2 hours, then take the bike off the trainer for the rest of the ride outside.

Nathalie I've never used one of those guns either, but tend to agree that they must have the potential to do some damage if not used properly. Watch some tutorials, and build up slowly... just like everything else tri related.

Me Struggling to get out of bed early enough this week. I've only managed 3 short morning runs. But I have made it back onto the bike for the first time since IMNZ. So that's something. Plan for the rest of the week is a 30minute spin on zwift tonight, 40 min run saturday morning, and NZ mothers day on Sunday (which involves 3 different mothers day events, Mrs Bullfrog, and both of the kids Nanas... long day)

Have a good weekend team.
2021-05-06 6:50 PM
in reply to: #5275966

User image

, Vermont
Managed my brick today when I got to Louisville. :45/:15. I’ve had this dang headache all day and most of the day yesterday; Tylenol hasn’t seemed to do much. I hydrated well on the day I got the vaccine (second shot), didn’t do as well yesterday and was commuting today, so not much today either - just normal amounts. Argh. Bedtime for me, have to get up in 5 hours and head west to LA.
2021-05-07 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
One of my biggest fears is getting hit by a car. I've had a couple of close calls in the last 10 years and they have proven to me just how dangerous cars can be. So I have been doing most of my rides on a bike path near my house. Nothing exciting just 7 miles of pavement and 6 miles of dirt but it's safe. Well yesterday, Waze took me home a totally new way - through farmland and along less crowded roads. So, for the first time since I left my old house before the divorce (4 years ago). I jumped on my bike, backtracked me route and got to ride on the relative safety of these newly discovered streets. Right now the course is 4.5 miles out and back so I am looking for a new way home so I can create a safe loop of 10 miles. While I still miss my old routes dearly, I'm glad that I've made at least one new route and maybe today I'll have some fun finding my way home.

Hope everyone has a good day

PS - went out to dinner llast night with friends. I had one tasty IPA from a local brewery 3 towns over. But I rediscovered how much I enjoy my favorite brand of cider. I washed down three last night and they were so good and refreshing. Anyone else like ciders?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31