BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-01-04 10:26 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by jmkizer

Welcome back, Ann-Marie!

Ann-Marie's Strava profile is https://www.strava.com/athletes/798950

Teddy's Strava profile is https://www.strava.com/athletes/29558379

Thanks for the technical help!

2022-01-04 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Ann-Marie!

I figured that Teddy needed more followers :-)  You too, of course.

2022-01-04 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome back, Ann-Marie!

I figured that Teddy needed more followers :-)  You too, of course.

Teddy is much more deserving of followers than I!

2022-01-04 12:01 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

i really let my run and bike mileage tank and am working to be motivated to get the numbers back up.  Hopefully, that happens before May 22!

First off, 1000 run mils is nothing to sneeze at!  Especially with fewer events around.  What kind of run/bike mileage are you talking about? Are you trying to run Teddy's paws off?

You made be look and my run and bike mileage for 2019-2021! (run down, bike up, big surprise)

Secondly, wet suit legal, downstream swim.  I think that you've got it!  BTW, you do have a swim skin for the full, right?

2022-01-04 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

i really let my run and bike mileage tank and am working to be motivated to get the numbers back up.  Hopefully, that happens before May 22!

First off, 1000 run mils is nothing to sneeze at!  Especially with fewer events around.  What kind of run/bike mileage are you talking about? Are you trying to run Teddy's paws off?

You made be look and my run and bike mileage for 2019-2021! (run down, bike up, big surprise)

Secondly, wet suit legal, downstream swim.  I think that you've got it!  BTW, you do have a swim skin for the full, right?

I'm not sure about mileage, I'll have to check my yearly totals.  I just know that pre-covid i was running 2-3 more miles on my Tuesday and Thursday runs and what i now consider my long Saturday miles (10) used to be my cut back mileage. I've struggled with pace being where I think it should be during this time, so i think i need the volume to get where I want to be. I am ignoring age as a factor at this time! I realize with HIM and IM training I need to manage training hours.  As far as the bike goes, i really need to get my  long-ride mileage up. 20 miles is not going to hack it!  As we know, a solid bike is really important to set up a solid run, so I want to make sure I don't screw that up! I will follow my training plan. Probably   I agree about the swim, it is the  least of my concerns. I do have a swim skin and hope tio be able to fit back into it come race day!

Regarding running Teddy's pads off - I know you were joking, but for other people's FYI, he has a max per run mileage I stick with and I watch him carefully during all runs - especially when the temp hits 70*   We have routes where he can get water and fountains he can jump in to cool down. The breed is built for running and he loves running with his run group. When we run solo he looks for them and checks out any runner we come across to see if he knows him/her or if they want to know him!  The day he doesn't act excited for a run is the day he retires. Hopefully, that is many years off! 

2022-01-04 1:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm not sure about mileage, I'll have to check my yearly totals.  I just know that pre-covid i was running 2-3 more miles on my Tuesday and Thursday runs and what i now consider my long Saturday miles (10) used to be my cut back mileage. I've struggled with pace being where I think it should be during this time, so i think i need the volume to get where I want to be. I am ignoring age as a factor at this time! I realize with HIM and IM training I need to manage training hours.  As far as the bike goes, i really need to get my  long-ride mileage up. 20 miles is not going to hack it!  As we know, a solid bike is really important to set up a solid run, so I want to make sure I don't screw that up! I will follow my training plan. Probably   I agree about the swim, it is the  least of my concerns. I do have a swim skin and hope tio be able to fit back into it come race day!

The swim skin is important mentally. Everyone seems to have one. I kinda like being able to blend itn ;-)

Regarding running Teddy's pads off - I know you were joking, but for other people's FYI, he has a max per run mileage I stick with and I watch him carefully during all runs - especially when the temp hits 70*   We have routes where he can get water and fountains he can jump in to cool down. The breed is built for running and he loves running with his run group. When we run solo he looks for them and checks out any runner we come across to see if he knows him/her or if they want to know him!  The day he doesn't act excited for a run is the day he retires. Hopefully, that is many years off! 

Yes, I know that Teddy gets upset if he misses a run, even it's for his own good!

Edited by jmkizer 2022-01-04 1:25 PM

2022-01-04 4:06 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hey there, 2022 Manatees!  I really like our new 'slogan' of Better Together. 

NAME: Melanie

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: FB: Melanie Payton (Melanie Landis), Strava: Melanie Payton, skip Twitter as I don't tweet too often, IG: @mpayton15.  I also 'art', and if you want to check out that stuff: IG: @i.paint.like.a.squirrel2, FB: @mpaytonart

STORY: Who am I?  One day I may know, LOL.  I enjoy being active be it tri stuff, kayaking, hiking, playing ice hockey (I'm a goalie in a women's league), or being outside in the garden.  I love being outdoors!  I've been doing triathlons for 11 years now, one would think I'd be better at it than I am, ha!  Also a black belt in TKD.

FAMILY STATUS: a husband (EFP); a15.75 year old Jack Russell (Dobie) who is losing eyesight, hearing, and her mind; and 6 endlessly amusing feathered freeloaders known as Los Pollos (Dragon aka Mouse Slayer, Simone, Ralphie, Chipmunk, Ethel, and Lucy (aka Miss Sassypants)

CURRENT TRAINING: working on that base and building toward a 70.3 in May (Chatty)

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: See above.  I'll likely throw in some swim, run, or shorter tri events; well, if conditions permit (I'm looking at you, Covid)

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Overall to stay in a decent semblance of shape and ward off other health issues.  I have a goal time for Chatty that would allow me to qualify to attempt to enter SOS tri, we'll see how that goes.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: The group has produced some good friendships that I enjoy and value, plus it's good to have like-minded people to chat with and bounce ideas off of.  

Edited by melbo55 2022-01-04 4:06 PM
2022-01-04 5:20 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Melanie and menagerie!

2022-01-05 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I wearing my Land and Sky Relay shirt and thinking of you guys!

2022-01-05 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I wearing my Land and Sky Relay shirt and thinking of you guys!

Nice! That was a fun event.

2022-01-07 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Friday, everyone!

I have a little bit of Manatee business to discuss.

First off, we had some request for a 2022 JoGo. The sheet is available.  It's set up the same as last round in a choose or own adventure format with the following options.

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga
  • Distance Traveled/Hours

If you are interested in participating, please sign up.  It starts on Monday the 10th and runs through Valentine's week.

Secondly, I was wondering if any of you are participating in the Tour de Zwift?  It has roughly one stage a week with a make up stages Feb 7-13.  I plan to complete stage on on Thursday.

Finally, we have a few missing Manatees: Curtis, Dwayne, Jason (who asked for the JoGo!), Nancy, and the Robins among them.  Feel free to reach out to them. Chris said that he will be joining us but probably will not be active until later in the year due to work obligations. I'll be updating the Active Manatee Roster next Friday.

2022-01-07 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Friday, everyone!

First off, we had some request for a 2022 JoGo. The sheet is available.  It's set up the same as last round in a choose or own adventure format with the following options.

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

If you are interested in participating, please sign up.  It starts on Monday the 10th and runs through Valentine's week.

Secondly, I was wondering if any of you are participating in the Tour de Zwift?  It has roughly one stage a week with a make up stages Feb 7-13.  I plan to complete stage on on Thursday.

Finally, we have a few missing Manatees: Curtis, Dwayne, Jason (who asked for the JoGo!), Nancy, and the Robins among them.  Feel free to reach out to them. Chris said that he will be joining us but probably will not be active until later in the year due to work obligations. I'll be updating the Active Manatee Roster next Friday.

Hmm, I wasn't going to do the gojo challenge, but just started to (again) focus on getting protein in each meal and making sure i get enough per day. The ideal amount is higher than you'd think! So, maybe I'll join for Good Eats.

The Tour de Zwift is intriquing. If I'm looking at it correctly, there are 8 stages that you can complete in a 3 or 4-day window and each stage has options for varying lengths.   That could be interesting and a way to get my cycling legs partially back. Time to read the blog about it!

2022-01-07 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

Hmm, I wasn't going to do the gojo challenge, but just started to (again) focus on getting protein in each meal and making sure i get enough per day. The ideal amount is higher than you'd think! So, maybe I'll join for Good Eats.

The Tour de Zwift is intriquing. If I'm looking at it correctly, there are 8 stages that you can complete in a 3 or 4-day window and each stage has options for varying lengths.   That could be interesting and a way to get my cycling legs partially back. Time to read the blog about it!

Re: JoGo, no pressure either way.

Yes, TdZ is giant group rides. I am doing the shorter version of Stage 1 next Thursday as an extended cool down. Well, at least that's the plan.

2022-01-07 9:04 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

Thanks for being on top of things!

Welcome to 2022 Manatees and happy Friday!
2022-01-07 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

This is a big challenge for me too. After reading Roar and now following several sports dieticians I know i am not doing getting enough ad not enough post-workout, in particular. The window is pretty short and i do quite a few night workouts and forget to fuel up after. Last night i ran for an hour, got the kitchen cleaned up and went to bed. No fuel ... oops. This might be my GoJo challenge. 

I also have mental block with protein powder. I find them mostly not good - too gummy, powder tasting, etc (plus, who wants to spend all that money on something they may not like! Happy for any good tasting recommendations!

2022-01-07 10:34 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Things are okay over here - we have not gone back to in person school at this point and we have our 4 and 8 year old home for virtual school while my husband and i work. It's less than ideal. (I really don't know what we should do about school in this omicron era of the pandemic - both options feel terrible but i don't really have a choice at the moment and that's hard) We had been in a good groove prior to the holiday and on the weekdays i could often get out for daylight runs but this throws a wrench in my training. I'll figure it out but I also acknowledge that i really just want to quit at this point. But that's a fleeting feeling. I have a treadmill. My kids wake up early but go to bed early and i can make it work. 

2022-01-07 10:52 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by juniperjen

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

This is a big challenge for me too. After reading Roar and now following several sports dieticians I know i am not doing getting enough ad not enough post-workout, in particular. The window is pretty short and i do quite a few night workouts and forget to fuel up after. Last night i ran for an hour, got the kitchen cleaned up and went to bed. No fuel ... oops. This might be my GoJo challenge. 

I also have mental block with protein powder. I find them mostly not good - too gummy, powder tasting, etc (plus, who wants to spend all that money on something they may not like! Happy for any good tasting recommendations!

Ahhh... what are the post-workout ideas that you have and could recommend? This is the part I don't really pay attention to, and I think that may be part of the problem with recovery for me.

I am with you on the protein shakes.... I hate their taste - I tried different flavors, different brands, mixed with different things, and just can't stand them I have to MAKE myself drink it. The one I have right now from Costco is sooo sweet (no matter what I do/add) it makes me feel like puking... But I have a humongous bag of it, so I gotta just keep drinking until it's gone...

What are some ways to not have to drink that stuff, yet, provide the same effect...??
2022-01-07 11:30 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

Ahhh... what are the post-workout ideas that you have and could recommend? This is the part I don't really pay attention to, and I think that may be part of the problem with recovery for me. I am with you on the protein shakes.... I hate their taste - I tried different flavors, different brands, mixed with different things, and just can't stand them I have to MAKE myself drink it. The one I have right now from Costco is sooo sweet (no matter what I do/add) it makes me feel like puking... But I have a humongous bag of it, so I gotta just keep drinking until it's gone... What are some ways to not have to drink that stuff, yet, provide the same effect...??

I've become a fan of nuun recover. I (try) to take it within 30 minutes of any exercise more than 60 minutes or one that may be shorter but really intense. It doesn't have the heavy taste of protein shakes, but with the BCAAs added to it the claim is  the powder “carries the same weight as 30g of protein.” 

2022-01-07 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

Ahhh... what are the post-workout ideas that you have and could recommend? This is the part I don't really pay attention to, and I think that may be part of the problem with recovery for me. I am with you on the protein shakes.... I hate their taste - I tried different flavors, different brands, mixed with different things, and just can't stand them I have to MAKE myself drink it. The one I have right now from Costco is sooo sweet (no matter what I do/add) it makes me feel like puking... But I have a humongous bag of it, so I gotta just keep drinking until it's gone... What are some ways to not have to drink that stuff, yet, provide the same effect...??

I've become a fan of nuun recover. I (try) to take it within 30 minutes of any exercise more than 60 minutes or one that may be shorter but really intense. It doesn't have the heavy taste of protein shakes, but with the BCAAs added to it the claim is  the powder “carries the same weight as 30g of protein.” 

I'll look into it!

I am mostly having homemade smoothies with greek yogurt and milk - often plain yogurt but recently discovered a delicious coconut flavoured greek yogurt. 

But on the weekends after my long run and i am cold i try to make something like an egg sandwich when i get back in the door. That's the hard part for me, is that i want to take a hot shower but apparently the research shows that for women the re-fueling window should happen within 30 minutes. But i am trying to eat as soon as i get in the door. 

For the weeknights i am thinking i might buy some chocolate milk that will be easy to drink and get in while i wind down. 

Edited by juniperjen 2022-01-07 11:54 AM
2022-01-07 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

Good to know!

Whole foods has 25% off supplements this week.  I'll have to see if they carry this.

2022-01-07 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

Good to know!

Whole foods has 25% off supplements this week.  I'll have to see if they carry this.

Nuun always seems to have a coupon code. I think I've gotten 30% off each time I've purchased!

2022-01-07 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Body Composition
  • Keep on Moving
  • Good Eats
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

I'll look into it!

I am mostly having homemade smoothies with greek yogurt and milk - often plain yogurt but recently discovered a delicious coconut yogurt. 

But on the weekends after my long run and i am cold i try to make something like an egg sandwich when i get back in the door. That's the hard part for me, is that i want to take a hot shower but apparently the research shows that for women the re-fueling window should happen within 30 minutes. But i am trying to eat as soon as i get in the door. 

For the weeknights i am thinking i might buy some chocolate milk that will be easy to drink and get in while i wind down. 

I have a hard time even wanting to eat immediately after a workout, so the recover helps me get the recommended protein.  Since I live in Florida, the being cold after a workout isn't a thing for me! Since you are a fan of Stacy Sims you may find it interesting/compelling that she helped develop the nuun recover and I think the entire podium series. I did not know that when I first bought it, it just was a happy co-incidence. She also was part of the development of some of the OSMO products. I think they are mentioned in ROAR, don't know if nuun is.

Edited by amd723 2022-01-07 11:53 AM
2022-01-07 1:10 PM

Name: Jason

Other Social Media: I have Facebook but don’t post much there, really just have it to see what friends back home where I grew are doing these days. No Twitter, IG, or any other. I am on Strava and am in the Manatees group on there.

Story: I grew up playing sports, including soccer, football, and baseball. Growing up in the desert of central California we had a pool, so I also swam a lot. Became interested in triathlon a few years ago seeing a friend participate, and through watching the Kona races. I came to Alaska for one year after law school and have now been here for 17 years. Most of that time was in Anchorage (largest city), but moved to a much smaller town a few hours away in 2019. I worked several years as a prosecutor, and am now a superior court judge.

Family status: Married 26 years, 17 year old daughter and 13 year old son. Also a Schnauzer named Berkeley.

Current training: I have a pool about 20 minutes away from work that I try to get to a couple times a week. I have a Wahoo Kickr Snap with my road bike here in my office so I do that when I have longer lunch breaks. I need to make running more of a priority in 2022. Most of my running is indoors on a treadmill (it was -10 degrees driving to work this morning).

This year’s races/events: I do not have anything planned at the moment. I live in a pretty small town in Alaska, and the closest tri’s are a few hours away. We had a really good local tri that paused at the beginning of the pandemic, and then announced last year that it was shutting down for good. Hopefully I will get something planned soon, but my daughter is in the college application process right now and will be headed out of state in the fall, so trying to do as much as I can with her and travel time may take away from training. My son and I also picked up golf at the tail end of 2020 that has become a new obsession.

Goals/objectives: My goals really are to maintain some level of fitness and just overall feel better. I have a pretty demanding career that gets in the way of a lot of things, and I just know that I feel much better when I put in the time and effort to exercise. I love to swim, really enjoy biking, and have a love/hate relationship with running. My goal for 2022 is to simply make fitness more of a priority.

What makes you a good manatee: I have far less experience than everyone else here, and don’t know how much I have to contribute. But, I absolutely love this group. I enjoy checking up on people’s training logs and find motivation and inspiration in those, and giving out kudos on Strava. I really like seeing the comradery of the group, and appreciate folks like Janyne who have been here a long time keeping this going.
2022-01-07 1:14 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Jason!

2022-01-07 2:37 PM
in reply to: #5279172

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Hello all. As Janyne noted, I am in again this year. I will post the official "hello" the next time I sit at an unencumbered laptop.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27174 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93