General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Pineman - 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Pineman - 1/2 Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing/Health & Fitness Promotions, Inc.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 19m 23s
Overall Rank = 178/190
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

We'll start this Thursday afternoon. I blew a tire, forgot my pump. Ended up having to hitch-hike back to campus like the eejit I am. Didn't get around to changing tire till Friday night- to no avail, and cost me 2 tubes. Pat came out on Saturday afternoon and tried to change it- turns out the tubes were the wrong size. Great. So he had to go out at 8 at night to get new tubes. He burst 2 of them. So I had no spare tubes to race with. Very very tense. I have never been so worried about tires in my life.

Saturday night I had to photograph the football game and a drag show on campus, so I didn't get to bed till nearly 11:30! Woke up at 4:45, got in the car and drove to Mt. Sterling. Thank god for no fog, but again, the directions from HFP's site weren't 100% on, but the signs for the park helped.
Event warmup:

None. I know, I'm awful, but I was racing 70.3 miles and I was going to be tired. I was allready worked up about the tire so I figured any riding on it would be just bad karma.

Spent a bit of time wondering around trying to find bike support- finally found out that there WASNT ANY, and if I needed another tube, I was screwed.
Swim
  • 39m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

WOOO boy. It was COLD. Much colder than I had anticipated. It had been really warm the year before. My overriding theme for the day is, "Don't base it on last year". I stod there on the shore crying about my tire to Pat.

So as our wave was beginning, the big negatives started. I was up front, quickly chickened out and went to the back once I saw the brutalizing the guys were taking at the first buoy. Note to self: Take buoy wide. Shot went off and there was no going back, I was doing a half iron!

The first 200m were ROUGH. It was very very windy, and the chop was unlike anything I had experienced. It really screwed with my stroke. The water was so so cold though, and I was sans-wetsuit(again, EEJIT!). Took me a while to fall into it, but once I got moving (about 500m in) I was grand. It was actually the perfect temp for swimming. I started passing people, and then I started passing the waves of men ahead of me!

1 lap down, lets go again! I was navigating well, but the chop on the far side of the rectangle was bad, just plain bad. The wind was absolutely unrelenting. This was to be the theme of the day. Finally got around the last buoy and was trying to find the triangle ender. Took a second to find it, and then put my head down and went. Got out of the water clean and had an OK run up to the bike. Again- cold, wet, and windy.

What would you do differently?:

-Pee! I tried to pee like 6 times but it just didn't happen. I was so frustrated. I swallowed so much water as well, I knew it was going to bite me on the bike.

-Quit being a tight a$$ and buy a dam wetsuit!
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

I decided to go sockless for the bike because that's how I'd been training. But I did opt for gloves on this one-glad I did. Had a HARD FREAKING TIME getting my helmet buckled. I really hate how it closes. I was really glad I brought my sunglasses- it ended up being really really sunny. I was one of a very few people riding a road bike. Again, EEJIT.

-Quit being a tight a$$ and buy a new helmet.
-Quit being a tight a$$ and buy new shoes.
-Quit being a tight a$$ and buy a new bike.
Bike
  • 3h 36m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Oh dear god. This was absolute torture and crap. The wind was un-ending and just brutal. There was only one part where it wasn't blowing DIRECTLY into your face. Wide open country roads as well. There was a right hand turn for the half people to make our loops equal 56...and on that spur, HFP managed to find the only hills in the area...oh great.

The one high point of this ride was hearing "HEY TRACEY!" behind me, as Stupidnickname came zooming past me, looking far beter than I at this point.

After my first loop, I really didn't want to keep going. I was getting passed by EVERYONE, and I screwed up on the turn and ended up going off-road for a few seconds. Ouch. And I I just felt really dejected and like a crap triathlete.

Then I came to the turn around, got a water bottle, had a gel, and I felt better. Second loop started out great. Middle was OK, but when I got onto the spur, I just got miserable. The wind was at my back on the way out, but as soon as you hit the turn around, it just was miserable the whole way back to transition.

Lap 3 was torture. I was sobbing at the turn around on the spur, talking nonsense, just generally going crazy because I could NOT go any faster. It was really frustrating to not have aero bars as well. I felt like my body was one huge parachute.

I was convinced I was going to turn in my chip once I got into transition. At this point, I did NOT want to continue. My estimate of 6:30.00 was waaaayyy out the window, and I still had to run a half marathon. My shoulders hurt, my neck hurt, my arms and hands hurt, from the sheer effort of keeping my bike on the road.

Oh, and I had to pee like no one has ever peed before.

Get a better bike.
Wear sunscreen.
Ride more.
Go to the bathroom in the water.
Transition 2
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

I got off the bike and Pat was waiting for me. He saw I was crying. At this point and time, pretty much everyone else was allready out on the run. I went to rack my bike- and someone had put their bike on my spot!! right over my stuff! I had to rack my bike on the sprint racks, and try to change my stuff around this jerk's bike. I was so unhappy. I talked with Pat about if I should drop or not.

I put my socks on (very very happy about that!) and my shoes. Retied my bandana, took a deep breath, and off I went. I have never been so happy to run in my life. I don't want to ride my bike for a very long time. and I got to hit the porta john on the way out.

Question my sanity faster.
Run
  • 2h 55m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually felt pretty dam good to run. I was still taking tiny steps, but I felt OK. At the turn around, I had a banana and an oreo and a chocolate chip cookie, and it was like CHRISTMAS. Awesome. I also sampled heavily from the Apple cinnamon hammer gel, since my hammer flask had come open and leaked my emergency stash of raspberry hammer gel all over my bum. Yeap, I was miserable and covered in energy gel. This can only get better.

I picked up an ultra distance runner named Jim. He was awesome support, a great pacer, and I was really greatful for his company. Lost him about mile 7 or so. Turned around, headed out for 10k number 2. I was hurting at this point. I started taking walking breaks between every so many cones. My hips were hurting. I started to chaffe under my arm, and it felt like my HR monitor was squeezing me. I was greatful for the turn around station- they informed me there was no cut off- it was looking tight for me. I've never been so happy to end a run. I started to cry as I came to the line...guided in by pat's track jacket. Even though it was COMPLETELY deserted at this point.

Run more. I was definitely unprepared for this. Suffer fest.
Post race
Warm down:

I ran down the finish line, they announced my name! YAY! I was so happy to stop. I was a bit out of it at this point and time, but I got my finisher's medal, and they gave me my second place finisher's plaque (woo!), and then the lady came flying over to take my chip (ooops).

Pat went to get my clothes, and I went over to get food. All they had left was 1 bag of chips, and some oranges and pop. I was a bit disappointed at that. The race hadn't been cheap and I was STARVING. I was so sick of gels and beanz and cliff bars. (sigh). Took an ice cold rinse in the showers, put on civilian clothes.

I had been hoping for a massage, but it wasn't even offered. Sorta miffed about that because the people that they had there last year were awesome, and if I needed it any time, it was NOW.

HRM data:
time:7:30.05
In zone: 6:47.45
AVG Hr: 156
Max Hr:189
Calories: 5050

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't prepared for this. Period. I shouldn't have done this this year. But then again, I *did* finish, and really, I didn't die. The diabetes was actually the best it has been for any race, ironically enough. I think it might have to do with the fact that I was much more focused on eating in this ride. I'm so glad I invested in that Bento Box!!

Event comments:

I don't know man, it seemed like last year there was just much more fanfare. I was really miffed that there wasn't any food and that everyone was basicaly packed up and sort of anxious to get out of there and not celebrating the late finishers. I know it is a long day, but those people need food and encouragement as well. Also, no massage? No bike support? Just basic things that a race should have, especially a sponsored race. It was those things I really really needed and I was a little panicked to not have them.

Although, the volunteers on the run aid were FANTASTIC, and the guys handing out water in the bike turn around were deadly accurate- thanks lads!.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:37 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 83/190
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto Tri suit and tri bra
Course: Slender rectangle parrallel to shore, counter clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:36:50 | 56 miles | 15.50 mile/hr
Overall: 188/190
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 loops, 18 miles each. Extra spur for the half people--with the only hills in central ohio! Absolute crap.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:55:15 | 13.1 miles | 13m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 188/190
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops of 10k each. Out across a dam (on grass), then pavement.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-25 8:33 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: Deer Creek Pineman - 1/2 Ironman

2006-09-25 8:55 PM
in reply to: #551519

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Pineman - 1/2 Ironman
Good to hear that you finished it. Scott (WSM9363) said the swim was brutal even for the sprint.
2006-09-25 9:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on finishing your first HIM!

You show your true colors when things were tough, you kept on going and did it....super effort.

Love the swim speed.....nice work.......biking in the wind sucks.

Sounds like you have a great friend & some ideas for some wish lists for future gifts!

Man...you did a HIM...awesome!

2006-09-25 9:35 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse

Now THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of mental toughness.

Edited by stupidnickname 2006-09-25 9:35 PM
2006-09-26 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

Hey- way to go! Congrats on finishing your first HIM, that must feel so good. Way to push through the biking when it was tough. And fab job on the swim, you were really movin'.

2006-09-26 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Awesome RR!!!!  Congratulations on your race.  I am impressed with pushing through all that was going on and finishing!  So cool!

And oh the wind!  I hate wind, but especially on the swim and the bike.  Makes everything a challenge for sure!

2006-09-26 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
GREAT JOB!!!

I did the half also, so I feel your pain.

This was the toughest race I've done. (This was my 5th Half IM and my 12th triathlon). I also overheard quite a few racers saying the same thing.

The wind was simply BRUTAL. The swim was choppy. I felt like I was in a washing maching. The bike was no fun either. A couple times during a crosswind I had to come out of my aerobars just to keep my stability. Yuck.

Anyone who finished that race is a tri-animal.

JC in Cinci
2006-09-26 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Congratulations! You had an awesome race-great job overcoming the mental aspects (and physical-that swim sounded nasty!), and finishing strong!

I'm surprised that the HFP race wasn't organized better-they usually do a really good job. I've done two HFP events this year, and the food has been really good! That sucks that there wasn't much left. HFP is really good about listening to their customers/race participants, so I would email them your comments. Seriously.

2006-09-26 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
I agree w/ Sassafras.

HFP is a pretty good group, and I think they'd like to know your experience. I would send Scott at HFP racing an email w/ your comments.

You paid just a much money as the guy/gal who came in first. You swam, biked and ran as far as they did. You shouldn't deprived of stuff just because you didn't finish "early enough."

John
2006-09-26 4:38 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i am SOOOO proud of you! you finished a flippin' HIM! that is more than almost everyone else in the world can say, right? i found the HIM experience to be much more about self-discovery and understanding the sport in general, more than it was about my times. you should be VERY proud. go splurge and get a post-race massage...i'm thinking at least an hour.
2006-09-26 4:39 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
btw - looking good in your desoto suit! i tried to order the front zip but they were sold out in my size. oh well.

AND - did you get hardware for placing 2nd in your age group???

2006-09-26 5:28 PM

I chose the Pineman as my step up race to end the year. I'd been doing sprints all summer and thought the "mini" would be a great transition race with the .6 swim and olympic distance bike and run. The wind made it one of those experiences where you conclude that it didn't kill me so it must have made me stronger. My husband and I went down to Deer Creek the weekend prior and rode the bike loop a couple of times so the hills were no surprise, but the relentless wind added a new dimension. I'm a pretty strong cyclist and my SLOWEST average bike leg up until this race was 18.5 mph. There were parts of my ride on this one that were so slow, my average turned out to be 15.1 MPH.

Unbelievable! The swim was exactly as everyone described. All I could think of was that if we had done the swim clockwise, the waves in the face portion would have been split in two. The run was about getting finished. This was one of the times where just showing up was a good thing. There were 5 women registered in my age group (50-54) and I was the only one who showed up. So in addition to first place in my age group, I can retain my bragging rights about being the oldest, fastest woman who did the mini that day. Also, I think that 3:40 will be a pretty easy time to beat next year.
2006-09-26 6:08 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
thanks everyone . Looking back on it, I should have "sucked it up buttercup" a little more.

Surprisingly...I'm not really that sore! Even on Monday, I was up and moving around. I really thought I'd be completely wrecked. I even fully participated in my Pilates class today (not that I have a choice...I get a grade for it!). I'm really amazed, because I've been absolutely trashed after a couple of my shorter races.

Preeder- That's awesome! I did the same thing last year- used the Mini to step up from sprints. Kick a$$ for you for showing up! And to make a converse statement, I was the youngest female to finish the half!

(secretly, I'm happy the girl that beat me is out of my AG next year- she's 24!).

And yes, I got some hardwear- a nice plaque that's hanging in the living room of my campus suite right now .
2006-09-26 9:43 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
WTG Tracy.  Good job on hanging in there and finishing.  You should be proud of yourself.  I actually was thinking good thoughts for you guys and whining on the golf course that I wish was at Pineman.  Half Iron down, now onto IM.  hehe
2006-09-26 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

That swim was pretty nasty, and you handled it great.

I was lucky in that I got off the course before the wind had picked up too horribly bad.  But then I didn't have the extra loop to ride either.

Good job finishing.  Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you, the wife and family wanted to get out of there pretty quick.

2006-09-28 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Great race report! Sometimes I start thinkin I should do a HIM, but then I read the race reports. No thank you! Not yet!

2006-09-28 10:13 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Congrats!!!   EXCELLENT JOB!  And HARDWARE!  Wow!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Pineman - 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed