United States
Maryland Coastal Bays Program
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 01m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5a.m., ate a P,B&J. Out of the condo by 5:40, stopped and got a small coffee (just can't get the day started w/out at least a little caffine). Made it to Public Landing by 6:25, we were the third car in the lot.
Event warmup:

Got a great position on the bike rack. Had plenty of time to set up, met "mswrites" and "lcsolutions". Later "dtraining" and "shelly123" showed up. It was sooo nice not to be rushed. Took a short jog about 30 mins before the start of the race. Although it was much better than Sat. it was still windy and chilly - there was lots of walking around to try and stay warm. I was not disappointed when it was time to put on the wetsuit - it was warmer than sweat pants
Swim
  • 15m 2s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was short and that was fine with me - it was cold and choppy. Even with a wetsuit I was uncomfortable - my feet and arms were numb. I feel like I botched the swim, big time. Unfortunately I positioned myself in the back of the pack (I did that at Sandy Hook too - you'd think I'd have figured this out!!!), which put me behind 4 women in my wave that were stoppers - I kept running into them. I had a hard time getting around them, when I finally did, things went more smoothly. I never did find a rhythm. I think being so bouyant in the wetsuit was giving me a hard time - I couldn't get balanced in the choppy water.
What would you do differently?:

I think this was pretty much a lack of experience problem. A little more OW wetsuit practice should go a long way to improving my swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

My wetsuit only comes to the middle of my calf and I think that made it really easy to get out of. I had no problems with the wet suit. I improved my T1 time greatly from Sandy Hook. But I didn't have the obsructions I had at the last race.

I was pretty pleased with this. I will just try to get more efficient with my time.
Bike
  • 57m 42s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 15.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Over all I was pleased with my bike leg. At one point I was averaging 17 mph. Unfortunately there were a few streches where we were riding through farm fields. With no trees as a buffer, there was a pretty good headwind. That really knocked down my average speed.
I took a gel toward the end of ride and that worked out pretty well. I think I put a good effort into the bike without overdoing it. I had rubber legs when I went get off the bike going into T2.

Gotta work on being able to hang when conditions get a little tougher. Guess that means more windy Rt. 8 training ride:-/ I need to work on drinking more on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Not an exact time. I might have already had one running shoe on before I remembered to hit the button on my watch. But I didn't dilly-dally in T2
Run
  • 45m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 14m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

For me, this was a good run. Considering I wasn't entirely sure I was going to be able to stand up at the end of the bike I had zero problems. By the time I got out of T2 my legs felt ok. Just chugged along and kept my pace steady for the 1st 1/2 of the run. I didn't take a split at the turn around, but I tried to put more effort into the last half. Don't know if it made me any faster or just expended more energy??? I had no problem running the entire distance - and didn't feel like puking at the end. According to some, that would mean I didn't to it right:-) But that's ok.

I am just not a runner - guess I need to work on changing this. I've got all winter in to work on it!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Gathing all of my "stuff" out of transition. Lots of clapping and hootin' and hollerin' when Dave's (dtraining) and Shelly's (shelly123) names were called to go up and collect their "hardware". Way to go!!!!

Event comments:

What a weird weekend. On Thurs. with a dismal weather forecast for Sat. and my knee bugging me - I was thinking I was going to be leaving all my tri stuff at home. When the race was postponed I was hopefully that I would be able to get in at least part of it. Even the morning of the race - I was figuring that if the bike was really windy I would skip the run if my knee was hurting. In the end I finished the entire race with no additional damage to the knee (wooohoooo!).

I want to say a great big "Thank You" to you speedy BT'ers I really appreciate all the support!!!!

Last updated: 2006-09-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:02 | 880 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:42 | 15.2 miles | 15.81 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:45:06 | 03.1 miles | 14m 33s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-10-09 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Osprey Sprint Triathlon

2006-10-09 11:06 AM
in reply to: #564447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Osprey Sprint Triathlon
Nice job! 
2006-10-09 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Congratulations on a great race.  I always think about doing this race but being a cold water weenie, I can't motivate myself for the swim. 

Ernie 

2006-10-09 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
nice job - glad to hear that you managed to get through it okay
2006-10-09 2:49 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Wow Brenda!  Congrats on another great race and toughing out some cold and windy conditions!  Way to cut down your transition times!  That's awesome you ran the entire run without any knee problems! 
2006-10-09 3:06 PM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Great race Brenda! That race had some really difficult conditions and you didn't let them stop you...

It was really nice to meet you!

2006-10-09 5:39 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Congrats on a great race with not so great conditions!!!  Don't know if I could handle water much colder than what we had for the Danskin. You did a great job even with a bumb knee.  I'm proud of you.  Sure hope that I can do as well on Sun.  I'm a bit nervous!!  Don't feel as prepared as the Danskin!!
2006-10-09 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
great race!

i had the same difficulty with the swim at danskin. i'm with you for the winter running metamorphasis to happen.

2006-10-10 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD

Fantastic race, Brenda!  I'm so glad you were able to race.  With the crazy weather and your knee bugging you, I was worried it wouldn't work out.  You did awesome and were smiling at the end of the run when we saw you.  Can't ask for much more than that!

Looking forward to racing with you more next year!

2006-10-10 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Super job Brenda.  I was very motivated by your story (which I really needed!)  It's a true triathlete who works through the adversities.  Be proud of yourself, I am
2006-10-10 2:59 PM

Way to go, Brenda! It was so nice meeting you and Glenn and I look forward to seeing you at other races in the 07 season!

Reji

2006-10-11 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey, Great job! You did very well especially considering the weather. We will talk and let's get you going for off season training! Cindy
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Osprey Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed