United States
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 17m 13s
Overall Rank = 24/620
Age Group = M 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 3/45
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, took a shower (gotta get clean to get dirty). Got Chris (my TP) and his wife up and we packed up the cars. We ate some sausage biscuits and coffee at the Best Western and I had a banana on the way.

Had a swig from my gel flask before I headed to the swim area.
Event warmup:

When I got to the race site, I tried to find the BT contingent and couldn't. I was very bummed because 1_foot had cookies!!

I was not very efficient this race at all. I got down to the swim start fairly late. I decided to get a short warm-up/test the goggles swim in. When I came out of the water, I heard, "60 seconds until the purple caps start". Guess what...I was a Purple cap!! I sprinted over to the mats and as I arrived at the waters edge, the gun went off.
Swim
  • 25m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since working with the Decatur Masters swim coach, I was very confident in my stroke. I did a monster 3400 yd swim the previous morning and managed to keep the paces she wanted.

I got to the start just as they began the swim. I placed myself towards the front and immediately settled into my pace. I had decided that I was going to push but stay fluid as much as I could. The guide buoys were set up weird in that they bowed to the inside. So I spotted on the triangular turn buoy. After the first 100 meters, the "pack" was about 20 - 30 meters to my left and I thought I was off. But they ended up joining me at the turn buoy. I decided I had a working plan.

After the second turn, I spotted on the shore and again found myself to the right of the pack. My goggles started to fog up, so I had some issues spotting that far ahead to the shore. About 200 meters from the shore, a Clydesdale with no top on (I assume because they started in our wave and he was 2X my size) crashed into me. I kept my line and he crashed into me again. I guess he didn't get the memo that I just did a mass start Ironman!! I picked it up a little bit and lost him. The cool thing is that we both just bumped bodies and there was no malice.

I was surprised at how well I was doing at the time. I think I finished in the front pack for the first time ever. I was shocked!!!

My HR was through the ROOF. I never got out of breath in the water but somehow I got my HR up to 178!! I've never reached that doing hill repeats all out running. Damn...I've got to move to Decatur, AL for swim training.

I came out of the water and could then tell my HR was way high. I had the presence of mind to throw the shocker to the camera guy. (You're welcome Comet) It was a long run to the timing mat, so I think I swam a bit faster. Plus, if my goggles hadn't of fogged up, I think I could have taken another 15 - 20 seconds off. I had to spot many more times when they fogged.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. This was, by far, the best swim I've ever had.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

This time the pizza guy found me in Transition!!

Man...I've really got to stop transitioning like I'm doing an IM. But, I had to put on my She-BEEST arm warmers, so it took a bit longer. Plus I was huffing and puffing from my HR being so high on the swim. Overall, it was a good smooth, not fast, transition.

Roll the arm warmers all the way up so all I had to do was put my hand through them like a bracelet.

Practice transitions!
Bike
  • 1h 06m 39s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I went into this deciding to completely hammer the bike. My cadence monitor wasn't working, so I decided to not look at any data and just push until I couldn't anymore. When my legs felt heavy, I spun a little smaller gear and then pushed some more. It took me 2 miles before my HR dropped below my LT. I didn't care because I had the hammer out baby.

I don't know what got into me, but I was an animal on the course. Didn't rest on the downhills, pushed on the uphills and geared up when I could. I geared out on most of the flats and downhills. I kept waiting for the lactic acid to build up and knew it was a matter of time until I blew up.

Took a shot of gel at mile 10 and 20 and drank about 1/3 a bottle of gatorade and some water from the aid station. I passed a couple of people because I tracked them down. It was really fun to be so aggressive. And for the first time, NO one passed me on the bike. No disc wheel sound from behind..How awesome is that?

I thanked every single person at every turn. At the top of the loop, I told one guy, "Would you mind turning the thermostat up?". It was cold and windy. Memories of IM MOO were in the back of my head. Maybe I was settling a grudge.

On the way back, I encouraged a ton of people heading out and I think I surprised them. I got some really weird looks. Maybe they're not use to getting encouraged from the person going the other way. I got one or two fist pumps, so it was worth it! I also saw a guy on the side of the road and it didn't look good. 20 seconds later, the ambulance came down the hill I was climbing. I hope he was ok.

As I came into transition, I took my feet out of my shoes. I did it a bit too early though. Luckily, I had enough speed to carry myself around the last turn. Jumped off and to my amazement (not surprise) my legs felt fine.

I didn't believe my watch (time wise) the entire race. It beeps every 15 min and according to on the fly calcs, I was over 20 mph...I guess it was right.

Nothing. I pushed where I could and felt great.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Again, my fingers were numb (see IM MOO race report). I managed to take my helmet off and my left shoe on. When I tried to get my right shoe on, I fell over!...I mean...I decided to sit down to put it on. Once I got it on, I grabbed my hat and belt and took off. Not bad, just not very smooth. Took off my arm warmers too.

Leaving transition, I didn't know which way to go. I was like a deer in the headlights. A guy said stay to the right and I started to go right and he said, NO...run left and STAY right. I just smiled.

Not fall...I mean sit down to put my shoes on.
Run
  • 42m 14s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 06m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I had joked (seriously) that I was going to push this race until I blew up. I predicted a 6 min mile 1, 7:30 mile 2, 10 min mile 3 and I would be walking the last 5K. My run workouts for the last 2 weeks have not been stellar and I was feeling very NOT confident about my running. It's like I just did an IM or something.

So I started the run with a guy right on my heels. I settled into a nice pace and saw a nice sight in front of me. It was the #2 female (I think). Let's just say I was sad to pass her. Her shorts drew...I mean I stared at her back and reeled her in. I passed her around mile 1 and then I concentrated on keeping my turnover and pace. Expecting my body to shut down at any time.

I alternated with cytomax and water at each aid station. For the first time, I actually thought about my posistioning. I though I was pretty high up in my A/G until I passed 2 in my A/G. Then I stopped thinking about it and just ran my race. I did have 2 gazelles pass me like I was standing still. I had nothing but curse words for them. Silently of course and in a very nice tone.

Around mile 4, I heard a guy slowly coming up on me as I was slowly coming up on another guy. I was told by the ladies on the side that I won the best smile contest. And the guy behind me got a, "You're a close second". So as he came around me, I gave him a "low 5". Great competitor!!

Coming up on mile 5, I was still waiting for the blow up. I was in a new world!! I had learned to suffer. Ironman taught me how to suffer and I was on the cusp where I had always back off of. Normally, when I get to the point of suffering, I back off. Today I embraced it and held onto it. That was the key. I was coming up on a guy in my A/G as I approached the 5 mile marker. I slowed up a bit to gather my composure and passed him really strong to get into his head. (It was on an uphill too).

At this point, I pushed the pace even more. #1, I didn't want him to repass me and #2 I wanted to see how fast I could go. I was going to push my limits. Nancy told me last year at HOT that I was to run a sub 6:30 last mile. I did it for her this year!

I never felt out of breath on the run and felt confident the entire run. I crossed the line and was still aerobic and not dead. I saw the clock and it read 2:20. I was very excited!! I just PR'd by 3 min. Then someone mentioned wave starts and I jumped up and down because I PR'd by 6 min!

After getting home, I realized that I had PR'd by 8:31!! How Kick ASS is that? I was totally shocked and amazed. I expected a 2:20 at best, but I was certain that I was going to blow up.

Nothing, I was shocked and amazed.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with some of the elites and the two Gazelles that passed me. They were very friendly.

I chatted with 2 BTers. Can't remember their names. One was racked next to me and had his BT Uniform on. Really nice guy!!

Waited with Chris' wife to see if my 3 min lead would hold up. He started in the wave behind me. To my shock, it held up. I beat him by just over a minute. This guy has a IM PR of 9:54. We ended up having the exact same run time. Really weird.

Waited for the awards because I got 3rd in my A/G. Really awesome. Instead of trophies, they gave handmade Triathlon jewelry. It was super-neat! The guys got key chains and the girls got Necklaces.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Confidence.

Event comments:

Great race, horrible conditions. At least the rain waited until most of the racers were done.

I really wish I could have met more BTers. Actually, I just wanted to meet 1_foot so I could get some cookies!!

I amazed myself and have learned that I can push my body beyond it's limits and not blow up. This race was going to be a put up or shut up race before Worlds. I put up in a big way. I have tons of confidence going into my final race of the year and I hope that I acheive my goal at Worlds: Not Suck.

Last updated: 2006-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:18 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/45
Overall: 40/620
Performance: Good
Avg: 155 bpm Max: 178 bpm
Suit: BT issued T1 Black Pearl...AARRGGG
Course: Counter-clock wise triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:39 | 24.85 miles | 22.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/45
Overall: 27/620
Avg: 148 bpm (154 LT) Max: 163 bpm 1260' Ascent No cadence data
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out, around a loop and back. Hilly with 1 - 2 significant climbs.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: ???
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:42:14 | 06.5 miles | 06m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/45
Overall: 40/620
Avg: 161 bpm Max: 174 bpm Splits are a bit off: 1st mile: 6:15 (154/159 bpm) 2nd mile: 6:40 (160/162 bpm) 3rd mile: 7:18 (159/162 bpm) 4th mile: 6:32 (160/161 bpm) 5th mile: 6:58 (166/168 bpm) last 1.5 miles: 7:47 (166/174 bpm)
Course: Just for the record, the run was 6.5 miles according to the RD and the USAT Head official. Counter-clockwise hilly run with aid staions at every mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-10 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2006-10-10 3:08 PM
in reply to: #565824

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
F--kin' awesome Dan!!!

That's all that needs to be said! You rocked the frickin' sh-t out of the race!!

I've got to get one of those IM things under my belt so an Oly. seems like a training day.

(And once again, it's all about the Black Pearl .... that thing seems like a good luck charm for you!!).
2006-10-10 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Awesome job. You are gonna kick some tail at worlds!!!
2006-10-10 3:31 PM
in reply to: #565902

User image

Elite
New City, New York
STUD! I remember when you were slow back in July
2006-10-10 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Bro, abso-freakin'-lutely AWESOME! Fantastic job on the race! I can't wait to see what you do at Worlds! And who are you to call someone a gazelle? Ain't like the pot and the kettle incident? So, when are you coming to Kona?
2006-10-10 5:40 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
"We're not worthy"
Man that is one hell of a race time. You "do" what we train for and more. Look forward to seeing you next year. I could watch you start and you can see me finish. Congrats on an awesome job.

2006-10-10 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Dude, nice breakthrough race, this will def pay off down the road knowing that you can hit your "limits" and keep on pushing!! Bravo good sir.

Shanks
2006-10-10 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Awesome race bro!  Way to crank it.  It was great to meet you!
2006-10-10 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
WOW! What an awesome race. I got chills reading your report. Congratulations!

I hate our meet 'n greet didn't come together maybe we'll do better next year. Good luck and I'm looking forward to your next race report!
2006-10-10 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Awesome job!!  A PR is great, but by 8:31, that is unheard of.  Way to push yourself, and feel pain, and continue!!  With this new found confidence, they better watch out at Long Course Worlds!!  I would say good luck, but with this performance in your back pocket, you don't need it!!

Great job, and safe travels to AUS!

Benihana

2006-10-10 11:00 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
hey dan! awesome meeting you - and stellar race!! way to put the pressure on during hte bike and hold it up on the run! great job.

2006-10-11 12:45 AM

User image

ok, you are really fast
Nice work
2006-10-11 4:31 AM

User image

Regular
Kaneohe,Hawaii

Great job!  You are going to kill at worlds!  HONU, HONU, HONU!

Aloha,

Matt 

2006-10-11 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
SMOKIN'!!!

I'm bummed that we didn't get to meet you race morning. You're performace at this race is nothing short of stellar and you are going to rock Worlds! Can't wait to read your next race report!

2006-10-14 7:26 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Phenomenal race!  That was a pretty tough course and bad weather to boot, but you put a freaking whooping on it.  Congrats on a solid performance.
2006-10-14 10:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-10-16 8:44 PM

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Nice race Dan.  Wish I was there to battle with you.  I had much better weather last year but isn't it a great course?  I really like the run but I'm kind of crazy like that.
2006-10-16 9:07 PM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Dan, One helluva race. You're RR was effin' awesome. Very motivating. I too was bummed that our meetup didn't workout. Hope to meet you next season. Cheers.
2006-10-17 12:58 PM
in reply to: #566056

Crystal Lake, IL
Helluva race, Dan.  Great job.  Wookie's right about the gazelle thing.  You're too fast to complain about gazelles passing you!
2006-10-17 1:22 PM

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Awesome race, Dan!!  I'm not sure why the comment about gazelles doesn't apply to you - your times were incredible.  You're going to do great in Australia. 

I am, however, still really disturbed by the sausage biscuit thing. 

2006-10-17 6:07 PM

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Keep in mind he was in NC...I think sausage biscuits are considered a food group there.  I hope you had gravy on that biscuit.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed