The Red Rock Company
79F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 05m 12s
Overall Rank = 192/947
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 31/110
Pre-race routine:

Had pasta the night before the race with some BT members. Was nice to meet them and saw some of them during and after the race.

Stopped off about a hour before the race at QT and got a power bar. Wanted to have some calories to start the day before the start of the race. Parked and went and setup my transition area.
Event warmup:

Stretched my shoulders and swam about 150 meters (partly to make it over to the starting line.
Swim
  • 45m 19s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started out swimming well for the first 400m but then after we turned to the West I got dunked and swallowed some water. Had to cough it off and that takes a little bit due to it being Tempe town lake. After that anger took over a little and this one guy would not swim straight. He kept bumping into me and trying to climb over me so I finally pushed him off with my foot. He got the message. It kept up like this too as when you do not swim well the waves behind you start to catch up and then you feel your feet getting hit and people trying to climb over you.

It was just one of those where everytime I got my stroke going I got knocked around and lost my stroke.

On one side note though, one of the guys I train with said he saw me in the water and waved as he went by.
What would you do differently?:

Try to keep my cool. If I shook everything off better and kept my composure, perhaps I could have kept my stroke flowing more smoothly.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Well, when I got out of the water, I ripped the zipper right off of my wetsuit. Fortunately there were wetsuit strippers and I was easily helped out of it. (this time actually was included in my swim time)

Large transition area, so I got in and out pretty quick.

Not rip my zipper off. Had the wetsuit stipper not been there it may have been difficult to get that thing off.
Bike
  • 2h 28m 54s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode very well. Since my swim was pretty slow (front of the BOP) I had many people to pass. I was passing many people like they were not moving. I had a 3 guys I train with that swam much faster than I did ahead of me and I caught 2 of them on the 2nd lap. Also saw Mike (abqkid),Tim (lobo), John (jchyte who I also train with) and Elaine (pirate girl).

I started to cramp a little 30 miles in so I drank up my Cliff Shots crisp apple and tossed a bottle so I could grab a gatorade. I then started tossing the gatorage and placing a new one in the cage and grabbing water and squirting it into my aero bottle.

I was able to fend the cramps off and keep riding a good pace.

Drink a little more water/sports drinks earlier in the ride. I think salt pills would help a lot too. Need to keep the cramps away. They only slightly effected my bike ride though.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Good quick transition. Forgot to put my race belt on though and only realized it about 3 miles into the run.

Put my race belt on.
Run
  • 1h 47m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Due to the cramping on the bike, I ran the first 4 miles of the run with cramping issues. I started taking gatorade and mixing it with water at each aid station and this worked to get rid of the cramps.

After getting rid of the cramps I started moving at probably around a 7 minute per mile pace as I started feeling good. Did the first lap at about 7:35 per mile average, but the second lap was around a 8:44 per mile average. After feeling good for a little while, I struggled through the last 3 1/2 miles to a well awaited finish line.

More hydration with salt on the bike. I meant to take a couple of salt tablets in transition, but they were probably underneath my forgotten race number. LOL

Put down average for the run because I fought through the cramps and the lactic acid buildup at the end. If not for that I would have had a really good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Right after finishing they gave a finishers medal and then they took my chip off. I look to my left and they had a case of red licorice. I grabbed about 15 pieces and engulfed them right down. I then proceeded to eat 7 pieces of pizza and drank a water and a pepsi. I then found Commodore and the AZ Tri Club tent and that Guinness tasted very good.

Congratulated others who I have raced with in the past, AZ Tri Club friends. Also saw Alaina from BT finish and congratulated her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps and anger during the swim.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed the race. It was my First 1/2 Ironman and thus was a great challenge. I really liked all the commaraderie that I recieved from people on BT, people I have raced with, and AZ Tri Club members. It makes races even more fun when there are people you know out there, so thanks BTers. Looking forward to seeing and racing with some of you again at IMAZ!

Oh, I also was sporting a orange mohawk for the race (well that which stayed orange).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:19 | 1931 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 94/110
Overall: 708/947
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot Wetsuit
Course: Tempe town lake. Starting just before the Mill Ave bridge to a buoy about 400m out, then 50m north and turning west all the way to the end of the lake and then back to the stairs.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:28:54 | 56 miles | 22.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/110
Overall: 75/947
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A flat but winding technical bike course with a couple of small hills and a few areas where you could hold some speed. I say technical course because there were a lot of turns and 3 of them were hairpin turns (kills your speed).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:47:18 | 13.1 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/110
Overall: 222/947
Performance: Average
Course: 2 6.55 mile laps around Tempe Town lake. Part road, part sidewalk, and part dirt path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-30 9:49 AM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Soma Triathlon

2006-10-30 9:58 AM
in reply to: #582800

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Soma Triathlon

Congrats on a great race! Wow...you sure can pack down the post-race food.

It was good to meet you, and hopefully I'll see ya again at IMAZ!

2006-10-30 10:09 AM

Pro
AZ

Great job Andy!!!  Too bad the swim got all messed up!!  But it sounds like you powered through on the bike and run and made up for it!  You did awesome!

Do you have enough hair for a mohawk?? heehee

2006-10-30 10:16 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-30 12:04 PM

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Great race! You're going to kill IMAZ. I can state for the record that he had at least four pints of Guiness the night before the race. I'm not sure how many after the race. I like the Guiness method of carbo-loading!

Nice bike split and a great race. See you in April.
2006-10-30 1:15 PM

Mesa
I had 4 of the tall cans afterwards. It was a little hard to get down after eating 7 slices of pizza within minutes of finishing.

2006-10-30 1:16 PM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Amazing job Andy- you friggin rocked SOMA! I want your bike speed! You killed it. Is Guiness really the secret?! Your swim was great too, all things considered! It was violent out there with the girls, I can't even imagine what it would be like for you crazy boys!

It was awesome meeting you and hanging out. Thanks so much for supporting me at the finish! You are going to kill IMAZ!!!
2006-10-30 1:50 PM

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Simply amazing!!! I like the attitude...don't get mad get even!!

Congratulations on a stellar finish!!

2006-10-30 1:50 PM

Arizona
Andy you are the man. I wanted to stay in front of you for half of the bike and I think you caught me about there. I need to train with you a lot more on the bike. You killed it dude, great race. See you at the team rides and runs.
2006-10-30 3:50 PM

Albuquerque, NM

Great job Andy!  I liked how you were able to talk with me even after you passed me doing 24mph. LOL.  I'm with you on the swim!  I looked up when I was heading west on the course and I was over taken with the yellow wave caps that started behind me.  I got dunked twice over half-way throught the swim...then I had to get aggressiveYell.  It was great seeing the BT'ers and I liked the mowhawk. 

See you at IMAZ.

Mike 

2006-10-30 4:09 PM

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Wow ... the trouble on the swimm and the resulting time belies your bike and run performance - truly impessive splits.

Look at the wetsuit problem as a chance to upgrade

Congrats on a great race performance - anytime you recover from set backs in a race makes you stronger for the next one.

Good luck with your winter training for IMAZ.

2006-10-30 7:37 PM

PHOENIX AZ
solid race. your training kicked in and you cranked...let's train together before IMAZ..
cb

2006-10-30 9:09 PM

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Andy, you're an animal. Thought I was doing pretty good on the bike until you passed me like I was standing still. Must of been the Aero hair style Your training was awesome and it showed out there. I'll see you at IMAZ.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Soma Triathlon Rss Feed