General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, who's doing ING Atlanta? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-03-25 5:21 PM
in reply to: #598870

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: So, who's doing ING Atlanta?
double post for some reason. Probably just me hallucinating.

Edited by atl_runner 2007-03-25 5:22 PM

2007-03-25 6:45 PM
in reply to: #736214

User image

Regular
I would have prefered the half but I have never done a full.

First 20 miles were fine but I "got my bonk on" at mile 20 and took almost two hours to do the last 10K.

Muscles just completely siezed up on me. I wanted to come in around five hours and it took almost six. 5:50, made some nutrition mistakes that cost me about 30 minutes while I made about ten FREAKIN pit stops. Those were an absolute race killer.....

A lot of people were upset about the water, to be honest, it was so crowded at mile two that I skipped and after waiting five minutes at mile four they ran out!! Luckily some guy turned on his water hose and I rehydrated about mile six. If it weren't for him I would have had to wait until mile 7 although they ran out of cups. (First time doing the event, I'm sure they will get better). I had to actually scold some lady who kept yelling at the Volunteers, I felt really bad for them, it was a damn hot day and they could have been somewhere else but they were there with us. I actually thought about getting some salt tablets yesterday and ended up not doing it which was a mistake. I actually, ran into a CITGO and bought some Gatorade...(I always keep three bucks stitched into my shoes)

Next time I would make sure and pack a tube of vasoline and some salt pills and I think it would have been better, actually, I have more chaffing from the dogs licking the salt off my legs than the damn run!! When I showered off, I actually had chunks of salt in my hair.

In spite of the complaining from some of the athletes I would have to say, it was a tough course on a really tough day (87 degrees I guess). That's gonna make the folks testy. It was encouraging to talk to other runners who say they normally run in the mid fours who were in my pack. I also felt better seeing the pace group an hour behind their posted time like me!! Not happy they were having a rough time, just felt like I wasn't the only one to struggle that day. I really need to figure out what the deal is with the whole muscle siezing up thing...I thought I did everything right. I only lost 1.7% which is good for me, I loose that on my short runs, I made a point to stay hydrated and I burned over 5500 calories by race end so some of that had to be fat.

All and all, I'm a 225lb guy who has had six knee operations and I finished a marathon. I have no complaints and no swelling. I will be a smarter runner next time. I will have to say, having just moved here, I was actually pretty shocked at what a beautiful city this is running through the neighborhoods....I live out in Alpharetta in the burbs which is great but the neighborhoods were just breathtaking.

Wish I would have ran into a few more BTer's but I really am not good at finding faces from internet pictures.

Great job all who ran!!

John
2007-03-25 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
I am toast - that course was a mother! Congrats to all the Bt'ers who participated- we should plan on meeting up next time now that we know the setup.
2007-03-25 8:06 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I liked the first 10 miles of the half marry course. The last 3.1 miles were interesting.

I went 1:43:30 and posted a race report. I am happy with this as my goal was to break 1:45.

Tony
2007-03-26 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Great writeup jmsazboy.
2007-03-26 10:02 AM
in reply to: #736298

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

jmsazboy - 2007-03-25 7:45 PM All and all, I'm a 225lb guy who has had six knee operations and I finished a marathon. I have no complaints and no swelling.

... now that is a statement you ought to print out and post on your refrigerator!  A positive attitude = a great race.

2007-03-27 4:18 PM

User image

Regular
Hey thanks Brian!

So....I have the feeling in my legs back....how long is everyone waiting to start training again?

I was thinking I would do a slow 5K in a week or so. Maybe swim, bike some this weekend.

What are you guys doing?

Edited by jmsazboy 2007-03-27 4:20 PM
2007-03-27 5:44 PM

New user

Man, that run was tough especially without water. I'm looking forward to next year, because they can fix the problems and make a great race for us in atlanta. I did a race report for the guys at race athlete. If your interested you can read the play by play here
http://forum.raceathlete.com/viewtopic.php?p=1738#1738
I hope everyone did well!
Josh
2007-03-27 6:18 PM

User image

I did the full... my 1st full, and I agree with all of you -rough race. I was hoping for between 4 & 4:30, never having done more than a 1/2 marry. I was seconds over 5 hrs, but just happy to have finished. I pushed too fast in the beginning, but had plenty of goo and found more than one spectator handing out cold BOTTLES of water, so this helped greatly. The first half went well, the second really dragged. If anyone saw how much walking I did, don't tell me! I ran the 1st half or so, but probably walked half of the remaining. Hills, heat, cramps -what a killer. I am glad I did it, and one of these days I should be able to walk again .
2007-03-27 7:54 PM
in reply to: #739234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, Georgia
Bronze member
got a recovery run in today...first 15 minutes were BRUTAL...then they lossened up and i'm golden again..nice work this weekend!

jmsazboy - 2007-03-27 5:18 PM

Hey thanks Brian!

So....I have the feeling in my legs back....how long is everyone waiting to start training again?

I was thinking I would do a slow 5K in a week or so. Maybe swim, bike some this weekend.

What are you guys doing?
2007-03-27 8:38 PM
in reply to: #736343

New user

Georgia
I ran the half. It was also my first half marathon to run. You are not kidding about the course. I thought I was going to die. I did manage to finish it in 2:55. I ran with a sibling who's group ran 2 minutes and walked a minute. That 2 minutes seemed like 20 and the 1 minute seemed like 10 seconds. Ouch. I am new to this so I am trying for my first triathalon in 12 weeks in Douglasville. Have a good one

2007-03-27 9:20 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I did the full - full race report here, so I'll just summarize...

I did 4:49, which is actually a PR for me, even given the hot and hilly day. I definitely didn't hydrate well enough, because I blistered which is really unusual for me. I brought salt caps, but brought them in a film canister on my race belt, so only got two out before they turned into empty broken capsules and a white cloud. Had some cramping, which I attribute both to this and to just not enough time on my feet (despite two 20's in training).

Really, really sore. The blisters make it worse, but the downhills really tore up my quads in terms of DOMS. Got a nice recovery swim in today, and can now walk down the stairs without having to turn around and back down them. I'm hoping for a bike ride tomorrow morning, and a walk on Friday, but we'll see after I pop the last blister tonight (can't wear Birks forever).

Ridiculous positive splits, but still a pace and day that I was happy with, as this was more of a get-in-shape for the tri season than an A race for me.

-Josh
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, who's doing ING Atlanta? Rss Feed  

of 6