Super Sprint
24C / 75F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 41/63
Pre-race routine:

With my wave start 59 minutes after the first, the aim was to get there as close to transition closing as possible giving me a bit of a sleep in. I packed a honey sandwich and banana (I saved up) for breakfast later and rode the 3 or so km to St Kilda feeling pretty relaxed about things. I knew where my position was in transition because I checked it out the day before when registering.
Event warmup:

Ate breaky, cheered on lots of the guys before me and finally went to warm up. If that involves losing all feeling in ones feet. All I was trying to do was avoid the "gasping for air because the water is so cold" state.
Swim
  • 09m 17s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I guess with this result I have to believe that I'm faster than 2min/100m I always thought I was. There was probably 25m where it was a bit of a battle to find my own space, but apart from that early on, I found that I was able to pass a lot of people on the way in.
What would you do differently?:

I am stoked with this time!
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

I could have had my morning coffee in this time. What on earth was I doing??

I struggled a little with my wetsuit as I was running, but everything else went pretty smoothly. I just have to do it faster.
Bike
  • 38m 11s
  • 20 kms
  • 31.43 km/hr
Comments:

The aim on the bike was to average 30km/hr if not more. I did it, I actually pushed myself and didn't have to worry that I wouldn't make the run.Quite a nice feeling and given that there was no headwind to contend with the ride was rather pleasant.

I just have to give myself some more space when conering. I got caught behind a few people who weren't so confident on their bikes...

I certainly need to work on the whole jumping on the bike thing out of transition...
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Time for another coffee! This should be closer to the 1:30 mark. I wimped out on the swing the leg over dismount and pretty much came to a full stop. Running with the bike was a little awkward or more so probably because the legs still wanted to ride.

I need to transition train to get the dis/mount confidence back
Run
  • 29m 17s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 52s  min/km
Comments:

Hmm and here's where is all falls apart. I had a fast run for me. It's just that all those people I passed on the bike had running ability. Of which I am clearly lacking. Needless to say it's faster than any of my previous race runs (or training runs probably!)

Insert running gene asap.
Post race
Warm down:

I got a huge cheer from the TriBal group as I hit the finish line which was awesome. My Mum had ridden down and was there when crossed, so that was pretty cool. Got me some Gatorade & food and took a seat in the sun with Kris & Stu, who both had good races too. Had a great chocolate milkshake at brunch

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am pretty happy with this performance. Obviously the winter long distance training has paid dividends for the shorter distances. Still I have very little running talent & hopefully a consistent training program throughout the season should see some more improvements.

Event comments:

There was a fabulous atmosphere today, the tri scene just keeps growing and I'd say the warm weather bought a lot of people out to spectate. Super sprint are determined to listen to the competitors and utilise the feedback they are getting so there was plenty of music happening and lots of volunteers to usher people swimming the wrong way, point out the massive dip at the swim exit and provide encouragement.

Last updated: 2006-11-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:17 | 500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/63
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Anticlockwise swim around two bouys. Swimmers follow a triangular course within the confines of St. Kilda Pier. Starting on the northern end of the beach, swimmers head offshore before making a lefthand turn to return to the swim finish. The course is usually smooth as it is generally well protected from any wind or unfavourable weather.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 16C / 61F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:11 | 20 kms | 31.43 km/hr
Age Group: 24/63
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Travel north along northbound lane of Beaconsfield Parade until reaching the turnaround point at Kerferd Road. Return towards Elwood using the south bound lane of Beaconsfield Parade. Gatorade competitors continue past the St Kilda Marina and turn right into Point Ormond Avenue and complete a "U Turn" at the southern end of Point Ormond car park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:17 | 05 kms | 05m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 0/63
Performance: Average
Course: Most importantly: Flat. The run course heads south along the bike path from Catani Gardens. Gatorade competitors continue past StKilda Marina until crossing Elwood Canal. After crossing the canal turn right onto pedestrian path and follow this for about 200m until reaching the turnaround point. Turn onto the bike path at gravel section and head back towards St Kilda. Make a right turn before the canal bridge and follow footpath towards Marine Parade. Turn left onto Marine Parade and continue along footpath back towards Catani Gardens. After passing the monument near the yacht club follow the path down towards the rotunda and into the finish straight.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-11-19 2:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Gatorade Race 1 St Kilda

2006-11-19 4:54 AM
in reply to: #603272

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: RE: Gatorade Race 1 St Kilda

Wow, fantastic race Casie.
Your splits are terrific. Looks like you are going to have a great series.

Go Casie go.

2006-11-19 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

Great race Casie!

Conditions were beautiful yesterday too - couldn't have been better. Having done your HIM recently this race must have seemed to be over before you even got warmed up!

(PS How could you afford the banana???? Surprised )

2006-11-19 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

What a super, super race!!!

OMG !!!! you smashed last years time by 10 minutes, you must be over the moon!!!

Bring on race 2!!!

2006-11-19 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Great Race Casie,

I agree how on earth did you afford the banana!!! hehe that would ahve cost more then the race entry fee.

when you find that run gene or genie  can you please let me know where to get one too.  your race report sounds so similar to mine good swim and bike adn then the run just sucks.  

great time!! and great race report

2006-11-20 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Great result, Casie!

Congratulations on improving ALL THREE disciplines. It's great to see all that hard work paying off also in shorter distances. Way to start off the Gatorade series.

Sub 2min/100 swim, 30KPH+ bike and sub 6min/km run!!!!

2006-11-22 3:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Sounds like you had a great race on Sunday Casie, the splits are great. Funnily enough pretty close to the times I had on sunday also.
2006-11-22 3:29 AM
in reply to: #603635

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Shall I send over some Bananas there only NZ$1.49 a kilo at the moment ;-) so a bargain with the exchange rate !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Race 1 St Kilda Rss Feed