United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up pretty at my regular time (4:30) and slept in until 5:30, so I was well rested. Drove over to the course at about 5:45 just to check out the "200m stretch of packed snow & ice." I decided it wasn't bad and would ride the tri bike.

Drove back home and had a bowl of Total, 2 slices of toast and large glass of water.
Event warmup:

Warm up was pretty minimal. As I suspected, my online registration didn't get processed I had to register. Not a biggie. I had noticed the night before that the entry fee hadn't been debited from my account.

After registering, I headed back to the car, debated on how many layers I'd wear and air up my tires. When I took the pump off the back tire, the valve core came out too. Fought with the replacement tube because it was bulging between the rim and the tire, but after 20 minutes I got it squared away. I started riding up to the transition area with my bag over my shoulder and my Accelerade bottle fell out spilling it's entire contents on the pavement. Got to the transisition area and realized that I forget my number. Rachelle went and got it for me while set up my transition spot. She also brought me a bottle of water. Downed some water and a gel about 10 minutes before the start and tried to calm down. Short jog and then some stretching
Run
  • 00m
  • 4 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Went out way too hard on the first mile. It might have been the lack of a warmup, but it took it's toll regardless. HR was low on the first mile probably because I hadn't warmed up and it was mostly down hill. The rest was on well packed trail, but hillier.

Just before the race, I met this guy in a Trek jersey. We chatted a bit and he mentioned that he'd done the Denver Marathon this year. He looked pretty fit, so I stayed w/ him for the first 1.7 miles when we got on the trail and hit a hill. He turned up the pace and I returned to reality. I would not be staying w/ him on this run. I checked my HR and tried to get it under control. It was at that point that I began to get passed. It was also at that point that I reminded myself to run to my strengths. I got my HR under control, focused my breathing and began to work my way up and down the next few hills fairly effectively by shortening my stride and increasing my turnover on the uphill. On the downhill, I lengthened my stride and took advantage of gravity. While my pace continued to drop, my effort seemed to level out to where I wanted it to be.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up and go out a little more conservatively. Given the situation though, I'm fairly satisfied w/ the run.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

I'm not sure why this was so slow. I'd love to have had a video of myself here because I ran in tossed my hat on my bag, put on my helmet, swapped shoes and got the hell out of the transition. I don't know where I would have been slow here.
Bike
  • 28m 37s
  • 10.8 miles
  • 22.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm very happy w/ my bike. As soon as I got out of T1 I felt very good. I got comfortable very quickly and focused on my cadence. Over the first two miles I passed at least a dozen other riders including the dude in the Trek jersey. When I reached the icy patch, I sat up out of the aero bars and took it easy. Once past the ice, it was back to work and I picked up a few more riders. Climbed the steepest hill of the ride and passed another guy while doing it. Got out of the saddle briefly at the top of the hill and then setteled back into the aerobars. Up ahead I saw a by on a yellow bike w/ a disc on the back. He was my next target. Slowly I tried to reel him in. At the turnaround, I got passed by a guy w/ aero bars on a road bike. He looked very strong, but I didn't let him get more than 4 bike lengths ahead of me. We passed the beach and then the boat ramps. He knew I was there the whole time. We crested the next hill w/ him to my right and about 1/2 a bike length ahead of me. I dropped him on the down hill and was just about to the ice patch again when I felt him right next to me again. He dropped back so we could get through the ice safely. Once through the ice patch, I picked up the pace hoping he might pop. No luck. I held the pace as fast as I thought I should but we hit a small up hill and he had more in the tank. He dropped me like a bad habit. I maintained my pace knowing the finsh line was less than 2 miles ahead. Picked off a few more bikers but I never saw him or the yellow bike guy again.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was very happy w/ this ride. I think I did the best I could physically and mentally. When I finished, I was even a little concerned that my legs would hold me up. Absolutely nothing left in the tank which is the way it should be.

Well, I would have liked a little bit of fluid on the bike, but I don't think it hurt me too much.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Just after crossing the finish line, I ran into Mark and another group of guys. Talked with them for a while and low and behold, the Trek jersey guy stops by and says hi to Mark. Apparently they went to high school together. Introduced myself and found out his name is Chris. Very nice guy - glad I beat him :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Run strength. I should probably add some hill repeats to my run workouts. The hills just beat me up.

2. Run discipline. It's good to go out hard, but the rest of my run suffered. Got to back off a bit on the first mile so I can hold a more even pace.

Event comments:

There was only one water station which was at the 2 mile marker, but that seems to be just right. Good race overall.

Last updated: 2006-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 04 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Mile 1 - 6:37 - AHR 164 Mile 2 - 7:14 - AHR 180 Mile 3 - 7:53 - AHR 180 Mile 4 - 8:17 - AHR 182
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:28:37 | 10.8 miles | 22.64 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Same as the CC time trial except there was a bit of ice/snow about two miles in where the trees block the sun from melting that stuff off. Course is fairly flat w/ some mild hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-09 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon - Race 1

2006-12-09 9:12 PM
in reply to: #620137

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon - Race 1
Great race Ben!  Under and hour is a great time on that course.  good to see you!
2006-12-09 9:28 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Sub 1hour is excellent!  Nice. 

4:30 is your "regular" wake up time?  ouch!

2006-12-09 11:11 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
wow.  You are good.  Nice work!
2006-12-10 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Nice job!  It's SOOO easy to go out fast on that race with so many runners to chase and a downhill first mile...  Chris did the same   Nice way to bring it back on the bike!  And as always nice to see you
2006-12-11 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Good job Ben...  Glad your back and working hard.  Sounds like a great ride out there especially with all your pre race havoc.

2006-12-11 9:49 AM

Pro
AZ

Nice race Ben!!!  Sounds like it was challenging!!  Did your cheeks get chilly?  Haha!  Awesome job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chilly Cheeks Duathlon - Race 1 Rss Feed