General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 58m 32s
Overall Rank = 2845/
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 63/75
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5 to eat breakfast. Word on the street is to eat three hours before race start, so that's what i do. Bagel (walnut cranberry) with pb and a half banana and 8oz water. honestly, as i was eating breakfast i was thinking 'what am i doing?'. confession: my leg (the one that was injured in august) started hurting (mildly) again last week, and i didn't tell anyone about it. i trained so hard for this marathon, i didn't want to consider that i might be falling back into injury zone, the week before the race. so, three hours before the big race my nerves were pretty high, on top of what they might have been even without this weird leg thing. i was seriously freaking out. But, my strategy of basically no running, and minimal walking all week seemed to pay off and my leg felt PRETTY GOOD, but not perfect.
Fell back asleep for about an hour after breakfast, and woke up feeling entirely better, pysically and mentally.
Drove with my mom to the DART station, and caught the train to the American Airlines Center. Made our way through security (yes, metal detectors!) and met up with John (jcagg) and Laurie (tri_it_cajun_style)! Get to see Aaron (jeepfleeb) and meet BigRed before the race, too. Laurie and my mom calmed me down a bit and I am off to the start line.
Event warmup:

nada. i will be running 26.2 miles. that will do it for me.
Run
  • 4h 58m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Started just between the 4:30 and 5:00 pace teams. Assorted chattering/shivering at the beginning, started slowwww and just tried to rein in the nerves (suprised and amazingly relieved to find my leg does not hurt AT ALL). Thank God!!!
Very crowded start, so i just tried to keep my pace and not step on anything/anyone. There was definitely a dude speed walking faster than me. People were staring at him, like, how are you able to walk that fast and do you really intend to do that for 26 miles???...
impressive.
The 5:00 pace leader is just behind me, and i hear her tell some people that she just completed a Hawaii marathon last weekend, finishing her goal of a marathon in all 50 states in two years. Needless to saw, she is in awesome shape, chattering on about how five minutes had passed, and aren't we all having SO MUCH FUN! I decide i need to leave them asap, and not look back.
Catch up with a group ahead, led by a dude named Mario in a full-on cow costume, with udders and a hat and gloves (i mean hooves). He is crazy animated, and is running circles around everyone, yelling at the crowds, and generally being v amusing. I run with him and his 'group' for about the next five miles or so, which is great, cause the crowd loves him!
Oh, i forgot, around mile 3, some work friends make their first appearance on the course. Thanks guys, you're awesome!
Nutrition side-bar: Gel at mile 5, 9, 13, 17 and 21. Gatorade or water at each water station. Felt good!
At this point, I am right on track for a 4:40 finish! Feeling good, and getting into a rhythm. Speaking of rhythm, my iPod headphones had major problems throughout the whole race, which wasn't so bad. There was so much other stuff going on, i hardly noticed. I did rig them up to work pretty well for the last half of the race.
Since my name was on my bib and it was a different color since I'm a first time marathoner, lots of people along the route (runners and spectators) were cheering me along. that was great! hearing encouragment (and the go emily!'s) kept me going strong! the volunteers and spectators were the best!
Around mile 7, Laurie and John caught up with me again (on bikes)! So good to see familiar faces out there! And at 7.5, my mom, work friends, and spin class buddies were all there, cheering me on (and Helen, the spin den-mother, handed me a bottle of Hammer Perpetuem, my secret weapon :)). Still feeling good.
Then, around mile 10 or so, I noticed I slowed down considerably. Lost about a minute off my pace band at each mile marker. Not sure what happened, but I just felt stiff, and started having some mild cramping at mile 13. Then, I ran into Steve, just before the half. He was my running partner up until about a month ago. He has a knee injury, and had to drop out of doing the marathon. But, we're a team, so he showed up to cheer me on anyway. He ran with me for a few yards, and, at that point, i realized i was going to finish! i could do this! Shook the cramps off, and got serious about keeping my form and just concentrating on running relaxed.
The next few miles are a bit of a blur. At mile 19, my Rice advisor, Andrew, ran with me for a little bit. He was so excited, but the 'you're almost there' was a bit premature!
Oh, i almost forgot about the hills--ran into John and Laurie again just before the Dolly Parton hills. There were guys, in drag, with HUGE balloons (two each) in their dresses. At the water station. Thank you v much, for the water, and the laughs! Then, it get's even better, there is a BEER STATION. with small 2oz cups of BEER. And people are DRINKING it. :) wonderful. i pass, it's not even close to time for that!
Mile 19, 20, i anticipate rough hills. secret: they aren't that bad. i had myself psyched for something brutal, so i was pleasantly surprised. Then, just past the hills, I see my support team! Mom, work kids (plus Lynn!) and Steve all there, taking pictures and acting crazy! Thanks guys, I needed it at that point! Then, just past the end of the hills, John and Laurie sidle up next to me on their bikes. they gave me the scoop on how the other BT'ers were doing and let me know the worst was over! I was feeling a little nauseous (thanks for the offers of water, but no thanks :)) but hanging on.
Then, downhill to the finish. Downhills are where i feel most comfortable (and relatively fastest), but i was taking it slower than i could have, since my legs and knees were feeling v sore by this point.
Mile 22, it starts to rain. I can see downtown, but it's just an illusion that it looks so close. Sprinkling feels great, i love running in the rain. Everything is coming together--great weather, great song on the iPod and mentally I am settling in, confident that i will finish, and finish strong. The rain picks up and it happens--that wonderful euphoric feeling i get while running sometimes. The crowd is cheering, I am smiling like an IDIOT. I am going to finish a MARATHON! It might have been the great soundtrack, but at one point i thought i was going to cry i was so happy. remind myself to get it together, still have three (hard) miles to go.
Starts to rain harder. This is not so great. Harder rain equals being wet, and cold. Now i'm wishing i hadn't ditched my gloves at mile 4. And, my bib is starting to disintegrate. And, i turn the corner and i can SEE the 5:00 pace team behind me! oh no! i promised myself i left them in the dust at mile 1! Pick it up!
Last two miles are hard--feeling cold and just trying to put one foot in front of the other, focusing on the music. Crowds are dwindling with the rain coming down in sheets. And it's windy.
Almost home, I take my tattered bib and hold it in place. The rain is making the sweat drip into my eyes. SO, my finish line photo is me holding my bib to my shirt, trying not to squint from the sweat in my eyes. Wonderful. But. I MADE IT!!!

What would you do differently?:

Not worry so much and enjoy every minute of it!
Post race
Warm down:

Running through the finish shute, I see Steve and Erica and Joaquin, but not my mom. Worried about her not being there, I know she wanted to see the finish! So, I wonder around (more like hobble hobble shiver...chatter) looking for her. Stretch a little, but mostly shiver under my space blanket and try to stay warm. Eventually find mom, and say goodbye to everyone and head home for a long shower. I was bad and didn't eat anything, but i was just too cold.

Event comments:

This race was incredibly well organized. Lots of great(!) aid stations with entertainment. Volunteers were wonderful! For my first race, I couldn't have asked for anything better (except the weather).

Last updated: 2006-12-01 12:00 AM
Running
04:58:32 | 26.2 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 63/75
Overall: 2845/
Performance: Good
10K: 1:07:30 half: 2:22:06 35K: 4:05:59
Course: Start at American Airlines Center (downtown), run gentle hills through downtown/uptown for 6-7 miles, then basically flat around White Rock Lake (where I do most of my running). Two 'hills' around mile 20-21, the "Dolly Parton hills" (not really all that bad, at all), then it's all gentle downhill to the finish, back at American Airlines. Mostly asphalt. Some really fun aid stations, with live bands and entertainment.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-12-11 11:14 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Subject: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon

2006-12-11 11:18 PM
in reply to: #621687

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon

Thanks to all the BTers who have encouraged (and nagged) me along the way to this goal!  Especially Mike (turqy) and Andy (chile7473)!!

THANK YOU

2006-12-11 11:23 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Nice race! and congrats on the first 26.2! I finished in the rain too, but I was only doing the half...haha..So, my pace was a tad bit slower. ;-) The crowds were great! I am sorry I missed the cow guy. maybe next time.

Congrats again!

Kenny
2006-12-11 11:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-12 8:35 AM

Master
McKinney, TX
Awesome race!
2006-12-12 10:14 AM

Mesa
Great race report Emily!

Especially the write up on your warm up. Funny

It is really neat how you had so much support out there. You did great.

2006-12-12 10:30 AM

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Very inspiring RR! It made me feel like I could finish a marathon someday too. Awesome race, sorry it rained on you at the end, but at least it wasn't the whole way. I have seen that Cow guy at all sorts of races here in Ft. Worth. He did the Turkey Trot this year here and I saw him last year in the Cowtown Marathon. I sure hope he has figured out a way to wash that Cow costume!!!
2006-12-12 10:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Great job, Emily!  We're all very proud of you!
2006-12-12 11:04 AM

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Great report!  Thanks for sharing.  I bet it felt good to have all that support out there.  I hope to be there someday.  Congratulations!
2006-12-12 11:10 AM

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great report, and an even better race.  You're a Marathoner!
2006-12-12 11:10 AM

Veteran
Earth
Great job on your first marathon. My sister ended up hitting the wall pretty hard when the rain came it, but she finished! It was nice meeting you and I am sure we will run into each other at future races. Keep up the great training and enjoy the rest!

2006-12-12 11:20 AM

Master
Frisco, Texas

Congratulations - first timer.  Didn't you just love hearing people say "Way to go first timer", etc.  I know I did when I ran White Rock last year.  You did great!

TJ

2006-12-12 12:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Great job on your first marathon!!!
2006-12-12 1:56 PM

Master
Keller Tx
Great job Emily!  Sounds like you really had a great time doing your first of many i'm sure....
2006-12-12 2:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-12 2:35 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
great job!!! Way to push through and finish in the cold rain!!

2006-12-12 5:59 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job on finishing the marathon!
2006-12-13 9:57 PM

Expert
McKinney, TX
Did I really calm you down???  I was so nervous for you!  I never doubted you could do it, but I just hoped YOU knew you could do it!!  Either way...YOU DID IT YOU DID IT YOU DID IT!!!!!!  I am so proud of you!
2006-12-14 10:46 AM

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Emily, congrats on finishing you first marathon.  After reading you RR i'm now excited for mine.

2006-12-14 5:50 PM

Master
Santa Clarita
Nice race and report . Well done . You conquered it.
Enjoy some time off.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed