General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri club or not to tri club? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-12-15 7:03 AM

Expert
Salisbury
Subject: Tri club or not to tri club?

I'm thinking about joining a local tri club and I'm curious how often I would actually use any benefits they provide.

Do you belong to a tri club in your area? How much do you use the different benefits they provide?

2006-12-15 7:12 AM
in reply to: #624726

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Tri club or not to tri club?

I will be joining one in my area for next year...I don't see how training w/ people who have the same goal as you, and getting coaching, not to mention other stuff, is any way a negative

2006-12-15 7:39 AM

User image

Runner
I've never been part of a tri club (or any sport-related club). Not to say I wouldn't join, I've just never done it.

Where I live, the tri clubs I have seen tend to be more of AGer's and such. I'm nowhere near that level. Also, there isn't one that's really close enough to me to be of great benefit. There are running clubs near me, but their workouts and such don't always jive with my schedule, so I never could justify paying to join them if I'm never going to get any benefit out of it. I also have a tendency to train alone. I've been that way for a while, and it's what I'm used to. I have tried to train with others, but our goals and abilities didn't always line up so well, so it didn't work out as a long-term thing.

Now, I'm not saying don't join. In fact, I've thought about looking into starting some sort of club through my local Y, just to get people who are better at swimming and cycling involved so I could learn from them. To me, that would be the real benefit, more than any store discounts. I wouldn't mind having people to hang out with after a race or training session on a Saturday or something.
2006-12-15 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
I love working out with other people and enjoy the social aspect.... it just seems that the workouts are never in line with my program. (not even close) I either need to go faster, or I am going way to fast. Not to mention the distances are rarely what I need for a particular day or week.

Best thing about a tri club, is that you can find someone your own level to work out with. takes a few patient group workouts to do that though.
2006-12-15 8:00 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I "belong" to SeaTri, but have really only participated in one event that they put on (an "expo").

For some, the group training aspect really is the draw, and that's great. I train alone almost 100%.

As for club benefits... I've found that the discount codes from the various online forums at places like TriSports works as well as any club discount.
2006-12-15 8:00 AM
in reply to: #624752

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
The biggest benefit would be that you would be training sometimes with people that are either faster, have more knowledge and experience and that have a similar interest to you in fitness. As long as the club is open and helpful to members than it can have a solid benefit. But if there is an "elite" team that gets all the sponsorship and the rest of the club has to buy into things and doesn't train with the fasties it can be a waste ......

I personally am not a member of any club, but my life obligations make it hard to do group participation in the first place, so it is no big deal to me.

2006-12-15 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
I'm member of a club. It's a small club with about 10-15 active members. Most are bikers, road and/or mountainbike. about 6 of us usually participate in the local triathlons.
It doesn't cost much (about 70 USD a year), and there are no obligations to participate in activities or trainings.
I usually do the weekly bike interval training and the sunday morning long ride. More fun with people to talk with, especially if your on the bike for 3-4 hours.
I occationally do run trainings with some other guys.
For swimming we don't do much together.
And for bike races on the road, it's more fun to race with a team than alone - I find. Espeaclly if it's a team time trial ;-)
And it's nice to have people you can talk to about trialthon and who are really interested !!!

2006-12-15 8:14 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I decided not to join last year and wanted to see what I can do on my own.  However, this year, I do plan on joining a tri club.

For me, it is the ability to learn more about technique in the pool and to force myself to train harder on the bike and run.  I believe that one way to get better is to train with people faster than yourself.  So that is my plan this year...train harder 

2006-12-15 8:16 AM
in reply to: #624763

Champion
South Jersey
I am a member of a tri club and highly encourage you to join one. The dues for my club are rather low ($25/year I think). It's great getting together with other triathletes for educational sessions, to watch Kona, party, have the support at races, train, travel to races, do fun runs together, get discounts on gear/clothing, etc. I do skip a lot of the training sessions, however, because they usually don't jive with my training plan. Mostly, I just do OWS training sessions with them because of the whole safety-in-numbers thing when swimming in the ocean or lake. If the dues were to go up significantly, I may consider not rejoining, but overall, I really enjoy being part of the club.
2006-12-15 8:47 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

I'm a phantom member of one. Never been to a meeting but get emails. Lots of the meetings/training take place in another town not far but the times usually don't work for me. Also, frankly, I'm intimidated by some of their training sessions because I know I'd never keep up.  I can't run 7 miles, swim 3000 meters, or bike 70 miles at their speeds.

If there were a slow buggers tri group in my area - I'd love it!

2006-12-15 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I would say join one. You can  only push yourself so hard and if you have other people around you that are faster it will help motivate you to train harder.

2006-12-15 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
I think it depends on what kind of person you are and what kind of group you are hooking up with. Being pushed hard is not always a good thing. I rode with a group for a while who would constantly drive my heart rate way over my training zones. Not good if your on a program. On the other hand, it is more motivating going to work out if you know your going to meet up with friends.
2006-12-15 4:49 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
What's it cost? Our local club is about $30 a year, and they have social events, clinics, and a general good time. Those from the club doing IMFL shared arrangements and a few members went down to support the participants. Some clubs have travel cases and set up a shelter at local races.
2006-12-15 5:14 PM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan
Our local club only costs $10 for membership. The group has doubled in the last year from 70 to 150. We put on swim classes, bike sessions, information nights and 5 races. These are done just above cost to keep the club running. You can't get a better bang for your buck and the freindships you develop are a great bonus. Join, and go one further, become a volunteer Laughing
2006-12-15 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
I joined a running club SCR that trains near my house and join them 3-4 times a month when the schedule fits.
They are very inclusive of all abilities and as mine have improved I have moved from dead last to back of the pack.
I have become friends with people interested in fitness and learned a lot from them and get great support during training and races.
We are kept up to date on all local races including local triathlons and the club organizes a lot of fun runs ,: 5ks 10ks 10 milers, mountain runs , track workouts and the SantaClarita Marathon . Dues are $30 and the club has about 260 members. So there is usually someone my ability there.
As I got to know many of them , turns out quite a few do triathlons and so we compare notes about which races were best...

2006-12-15 9:29 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

As the President of the North Atlanta Multisport Club I will give you the pro's of our club (your's may vary).

• Low Dues ($35 /year)
  • Social Interaction (we like to get together and socialize)
  • Peer support at races (its great to go to a race and have a big group of people cheering for one another)
  • Group workouts (ours are more of a "team building" and not super high intensity workouts)
  • Coaching (inculding myself we have 4 USAT certified coaches in our club)
  • Guest Speakers (last year we had Jeff Galloway, Patrick Dowd (owner of All3sports), this year we are trying to get the guys from Blue Bicycles to come in addition to some other guests)
  • Nifty Uniforms
  • Discounts from all of our sponsers that practically give you your dues back.
  • Volunteer opportunities to give back to the sport.

We aren't the biggest club, or the fastest, but we have a great group of people that love the sport and enjoy training and hanging out together.

Edited by Rocket Man 2006-12-15 9:31 PM

2006-12-15 9:52 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
There's a rumor about some Donkeys!?!?!?!?!
2006-12-15 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

I never thought I'd join one, but just recently did.  I am SO glad I did, so many people focused on a common interest, social gatherings with people who you can talk to about  things like T1 and they know what you are talking about.  Group training runs, rides, swims...clinics...

Yup, so glad I joined

2006-12-16 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Charleston, SC
I joined the Texas A&Ms tri 'team' which was a verry good decision.  Having people to ride and swim with really helps get me out there to train.  They also have a swim coach which is nice.  But probably the best part about the team is the sponsorships we get which save us a bunch on differnet things.  All in all Id recommend joining for those reasons.
2006-12-16 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
No tri club for me.  First of all, I find the local tri club membership fee to be too high for the benefits.  You still have to pay extra for swim time, coaching and just about everything.  If that was not enough to turn me away, their schedule is just not in line with mine.  They are mostly geared for very early morning training and weekends whereas my schedule is around mid-day during the week.  I do prefer training alone anyways.  The only exeptions are lake swims and the occasional long bike ride with my brother.
2006-12-18 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
I've struggled with this very same issue, and I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Most of you mention annual fees that are less than the MONTHLY fees of some of the triathlon clubs offered in my area - unless I'm missing something, in which case I may sign up tomorrow! I also struggle with the somewhat rigid structure of some of the clubs. As much of a competitor as I am, I really enjoy treating triathlons as a hobby, and something I do purely because I want to do it and enjoy the fitness benefits. Having scheduled times and seemingly mandatory workouts somewhat turns me off. As much as it may not be the best training mantra, if I feel like riding, I ride; if I feel like swimming, I swim. On the rare occassion I feel like running, I run.

2006-12-19 5:36 PM

User image

Denver, CO
I love being a part of my tri club. I find that the workouts are flexible and fit well into my schedule. And it's motivation to know that you will be missed.

Also, it's awesome to have some people to hang out with after races!!
2006-12-20 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
I love mine, and I in no way take advantage of all the benefits. The disocunts more than make up the fee for mine.

-1st timer dues are $40, renewal are $20 or included with apparel purchase
-Team branded, wholesale priced tri gear (suits, jackets, etc.)
-Wholesale prices on Clif Bars and discounts galore, free back issues of magazines
-Discount nights at local bike & run shops
-Track workouts and all road workouts are free
-Email newsletter keeps me reminded of local races and sports-related T.V. broadcasts
-Free timed running races

There is a wide range of ability in mine. It's definitely more stacked towards competitive AGers and those ramping up to Ironman, but I have company in the slowtastic category.
2006-12-20 10:17 AM
in reply to: #624729

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
benihana - 2006-12-15 7:12 AM

I will be joining one in my area for next year...I don't see how training w/ people who have the same goal as you, and getting coaching, not to mention other stuff, is any way a negative

Well, tri clubs are great... and I have belong to one in my area (DFW). Of course, the club is only great if you are a FAST cyclist and runner (note: they can't drop you in a pool).

I tried to workout with them... and tried to make friends (training buddies?)... but when you can't keep up, no one is your friend. I know it wasn't personal... they just never SAW me working out with them.... so no one got to know me. Plus, it's hard to find a training buddy, when you are so damn slow and no one else is.

If I could find a tri club that offered workouts for ALL levels, I would certainly join. I would really enjoy finding someone to train with and get motivation from. Alas, my tri club won't be doing it for me.

So... the only workouts I have done with my tri club in the past 6 months have been OWS. Which was great having a group to swim with, boyous in the water and a person in a kayak to watch out for us.

Otherwise, I cycle with my cycling club and run alone.

I would also like to note that my tri club loves to workout too damn early! I'm sorry, but I don't want to ride my bike at 6:00 AM... 8:00 AM works just fine for me.

Edited by KSH 2006-12-20 10:18 AM
2006-12-20 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Triathlon clubs offer many benefits, and comraderie is probably chief among them.   Most clubs have a variety of skill/speed/experience levels among their members, not to mention age groups!  Though we have few/no youth in our Boston-area club, we have a good number of 40+, 50+ and 60+ age groupers.  They are the best people to workout with and are really great about sharing their experience in the sport (often 10+ years worth of it) with the younger club members.  They are also true role-models for the longevity that the sport attracts and sustains.  I'd have never met them if I weren't an active member in my triathlon club. 

Yes, I had to make an effort.  Yes, I question the need for dues when most everything seems free.  But in exachnage for those dues/fees we do get great racing uniforms, club-wholesale deals with many tri vendors, discounted coaching, and the sense of community that only a tri club can provide.  As a club we've also helped numerous local charities with fundraising and it always feels nice to give something back!  Who knew that triathletes were so generous and kind?  I certainly didn't until I joined a club and got involved.

I get sad when I read about people getting dropped, feeling left out or like they're too slow.   So when I coordinate or lead training sessions myself, I don't let it happen.  I drop back myself or use the buddy system to make sure no one rides or runs alone.   It's not that big a deal to have a few slower training days, and it means a lot to the slower folks, who likely will return and find other slower folks to train with sooner or later from within our club. 

All in all, group training works well to motivate, inspire, and challenge me to be a better athlete.  That's the top reason I like being in my triathlon club.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri club or not to tri club? Rss Feed  

of 2