General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 56s
Overall Rank = 507/722
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5 after sleeping with 22 of my closest BT friends. Wasn't thinking too much about the race, maybe because I saw the local radar and Hell was going to be arriving shortly and I foolishly thought the race start would be delayed.
Event warmup:

Loaded up my gear at the truck and (thankfully) left my cell phone and wallet behind. Got marked, found my rack spot and set up transition in 2 minutes. I still get antsy about my transition area. It seems like I'm done setting it up too quickly, but I guess after doing a few of these, it's become routine. Pottied, did the Wetsuit Shimmy, and walked down to the swim start with Steve and Celeste. Was the 2nd to last wave and the last BT'er to go out, so I got to watch Derek, Ron, Steve, and Celeste head out before me. Lots of nervous nellies around me, seeing as the first-timers wave was after mine. Don't know why, but I considered myself a nellie too. The adrenaline rush and the continuing disbelief that I actually do this stuff still gets me keyed up.
Swim
  • 14m 48s
  • 550 meters
  • 02m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not too sure what I was expecting with my first OWS of the season. Looking back now, it really wasn't all that bad, but at the time I was hating all things liquid. I just couldn't get into a rhythm for the first 200. My sighting was pitiful, mainly because I wasn't drafting off anyone. I breathe on my left and when I finally realized that drafting was going to be my best form of navigation, things went smoother. Had to make sure to spit on every exhale. Saltwater tastes a whole lot better when you're a kid at the beach. So went the rest of my swim...catch, pull, roll, spit. catch, pull, roll, spit. By the time I reached the last 100m, I had a bad feeling that I was going to be on the losing end of the bet. That didn't make me feel much better. Just get me out of this damn water!
What would you do differently?:

Not get so frustrated so early. This was an OWS PR for me (2:28/100 according to official results), so Masters (the few times I went in March) is paying off.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Cringed at the hill and long run to T1. HR was through the roof (as usual). Hit the deck for the strippers and was surprised to see it was a bunch of high school kids. I thought for a split second they would be a little timid about ripping the suit off, but they peeled me like a hungry monkey into a chiquita!! Suit got caught on my ankle, but came off quickly and in that short amount of time, I calmed down quite a bit so I wasn't so dizzy going into transition.

I think I barked at the stripper when my ankle got caught, so maybe be a little nicer next time.
Bike
  • 48m 7s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 15.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Dread. Dread. Dread. I never regret my lack of saddle time more than coming out of T1. Got out of the winding streets and onto Seawall Blvd. without too much incident. Noticed a lot of inadvertent drafting in the first couple miles. Tried to be extra mindful of my position and dropping back quickly if I was passed. I soon realized that we had a tailwind going out, so if I was going to give Derek a run for his money (literally!) I had to hammer out hard. I passed a few people on the way out, all the while looking for Derek and his Blackwells to see how far ahead he was. Never did see him, but did see Steve and also noticed the other people heading back pedaling much slower than I was going out. Ruh-oh. Hit the turn around and expected to be blasted by headwinds. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. Kept hydrated much more this time to stave off cramps and felt the gu I had out of T1 kick in. Felt so good that I decided to down another one before T2. Bad idea as I found out on the run. Turning onto the side street for home, I hit a bump and launched my poofy from my aero drink. The penalty gods were shining on me, no black mark. Got out of my left shoe way too early, got out of the right about a minute later and hopped off the bike feeling great.

Nothing. I was pissed to see I came out 5th, but there was 39 seconds between 3rd and 5th, 1:10 between 2nd and 5th.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

No complaints about T2. No hamstring cramps, so all is right with the world.

Nada
Run
  • 35m 34s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt like lead coming out of T2. Not used to that. Passed Marcy, Hannah, Holly and the gang not far out of T2 and asked how far ahead Derek was. Either they didn't hear me or didn't want to tell me, but I knew pretty quick, because there was Dr. Smug 100 yards ahead, leaning up against the barricades looking all satisfied with his finish. I tipped my hat to him in defeat and headed out. The first mile sucked pretty bad. Some unexpected inclines kept my HR up high and a stitch in my left side. I walked a lot, but still had an 11:43 split. About 1/4 of the way through the 2nd mile, Hell showed up. Torrential rains and wind came down, not to mention lightning and thunder. About this time I saw my good friend Ed about 200 yards ahead of me. Soon after, I saw Steve and knew he'd easily pass Ed and that made me smile. I still am so impressed by how solid Steve is racing! About 2 minutes later I hit the BT aid station and wish I could have picked my head up long enough to see who was there. The rain was coming down so hard! I heard you all and thanks so much for the cheers! I can't beleive Angel was taking pictures! I'll be amazed if they come out. Within 5 minutes of the ran starting, there really was no place to run without running in standing water. There were spots towrds the end that were so deep it made more sense to run in the wet grass and mud. I don't fault Keith or Endorfun at all for this. If it were dryer, the run course would have been super. My second mile was 12:51 and I was pissed that I was letting myself slow down mentally and physically. I decided to pick it up and run the entire 3rd mile. Running high-knee'd through the rains had a dual effect- gave the hamstrings a little rest, but shot the HR way up. I was breathing really hard coming in behind the expo tent, thinking I am almost home, when some moron walking the other way said, "Only a half mile to go!" Whaaaaat???? I immediately started walking, turned the corner and there was the finsher's chute. CRAP!!!!! I stomped through 4 inches of water as fast as I could and (I found out later) almost caught Ed. My last mile was 11:12. It was great to see Steve smiling away at the finish, me not knowing that I had been his rabbit all along.

Suck it up and push harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm? Nothing warm about being soaking wet! Stood around the BT table for a while and went check race results...I shouted out a very loud HOLY SHIT! (oops!) as I saw that I got 3rd place Athena. Wow. I guess it's a testament to how far I've come in 2 years. I've actually built enough of a base to not train as hard, but still come out and compete with the fat chicks. That's pretty cool, but I know I can train harder if I can get more time during the week. Hardware was a cool little star paperweight that Ron's kiddo Trevor used to trace pictures on later. He got some paint on it, so that makes my hardware better than everybody else's!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain, rain go away...

Event comments:

First of all, let me congratulate my dear husband on winning the house bet. You left it all out there and I couldn't be prouder. Now that you're getting Powercranks, I want a bigger handicap.

Second, Keith (KEJ) and Endorfun Sports put on a fantastic race! I have been looking forward to this for a while now and it really was everything I expected and more. The emails and updates in the weeks leading up to the race were great and just got me more pumped up! I will definitely race with you guys again!

Last updated: 2007-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:48 | 550 meters | 02m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 383/722
Performance: Average
Suit: IM sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Triangular point-to-point swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:07 | 12.5 miles | 15.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 462/722
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back on beachfront highway
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:34 | 03 miles | 11m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 658/722
Performance: Average
Course: Winding course throughout Moody Gardens with a fun swamp, lake and ocean thrown in for us BOP'ers!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-04 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2007-04-04 9:32 PM
in reply to: #749615

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

Dr. Smug says you had a great race and that he's proud of you as always.

He also thanks you in advance for his new toys.

2007-04-04 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Laurie, congrats for placing in your AG. You are a little studette!
2007-04-04 10:41 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

You're number 3!
You're number 3!

Way to go on the hardware. It was great meeting you and Derek, we'll have to do it again.  

2007-04-05 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

Loved the RR!

You did awesome as always!  Im not sure I will every be able to think of open water swimming any different than catch, pull, roll, and spit!

Glad I could catch and pass your boss!

2007-04-05 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Awesome job Laurie! It was great getting to see you out there! Sorry about losing the bet but you rock for getting 3rd place athena! Anytime yall do a race down here you have a place to stay.

2007-04-05 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Fantastic job, Laurie, especially in that downpour!  Congrats on the hardware - those star awards were pretty cool!  It was great meeting you this weekend.
2007-04-05 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Great race.  Congratulations.  I loved the bike course.  I was one of the fortunate ones that got to run the course while it was dry.  It was a great run course.  You'll get it next year hopefully.
2007-04-05 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Girlie, you did a SUPER job! 

It was so nice to finally meet you and your other half.  Hope we have an opportunity to hang again soon!  XO! 

2007-04-05 5:17 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Great job Laurie.   Great hardware too. 

2007-04-05 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana

U GEAUX GIRLIE!!!  Great job as usual, I am so proud of you.  Keep up the good work. Laughing

There's always next year for a NEW BET!!! 

2007-04-05 8:30 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Great race and congrats on the third place finish!!
2007-04-08 1:32 PM

User image

Houston, TX
great race and congratulations once again on your winning some hardware!  thats got to be a wonderful feeling!  see you next time.
2007-04-09 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Congrats on a good race and racking up some hardware.  Very well-written report.  I enjoyed reading it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed