Delmo Sports
44F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 54s
Overall Rank = 6/27
Age Group = 25-29 F
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:20 a.m., got dressed, loaded up the car, and ate some oatmeal. I was waking up almost 4 hours before start time, so I definitely needed a good bit of solid food. I left the house a little before 5, and had an hour and a half drive ahead of me. During the drive the down, I ate a big banana (seriously, you should have seen this thing), and most of a power bar. I also called #77 on a drunk driver (but nothing came of it), and flew past a cop doing 85…fortunately, he didn’t pull me over….whew!! And, apparently, I drank a lot, because I had to stop twice to pee…and went three times at the race site before things got underway.

I got to the race at 6:30 (start time: 8 a.m.), because I didn’t want to get stressed with having little time to set up my transition area, check in, go to the bathroom, warm up, etc. Fortunately, this was a small race, so check in took about a minute, and I got a good spot in the TA. I met ajfoster, and we hung out most of the time before the race. Good stuff. My nerves are always calmer on race morning than they are on the days preceding the race. I guess it’s a good thing, because it allows me to think clearly and do what I have to do.

I am cool with a lot of solid foods before LSD rides and runs, but not so much before shorter, high-intensity workouts (like this would be). So, I stopped consuming solid foods an hour and a half before race time. I just took in some water and Gatorade for the hour and a half before the race, and then consumed a GU about 15 mins before start.
Event warmup:

About four minutes on the bike to just make sure everything was okay – threw in a pick up or two; my active stretching routine, which was done in two shifts because I had to pee in between; and I guess about ¾ mile run.
Run
  • 17m 3s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, the gun went off, and everyone just took off. EVERYONE was ahead of me. Seriously, do people really run that fast? Anyway, I felt good, and unless I had the wrong landmark as the 1-mile point, I did the first mile in 7:25. That was a little faster than I wanted this run to be, so I slowed it down a little. Apparently, though, I did the 2nd mile in 9:38. That is way slow, especially given PRE and HR. My HR was about 20 bpm higher than it should have been for that pace, even with the 7:25 of hard effort at the beginning. And, my long zone 1 runs are faster than that pace. I really felt like I was moving, and my HR and lungs were showing that I was moving. I dunno. Maybe I wasn’t really at the 1-mile mark at 7:25, but even so, the 8:30 pace that I held felt much more difficult than it normally does and my HR was a lot higher than it should have been. The run headed south down the boardwalk, with a turnaround, then came back up past the run start to another turnaround, and then back down to the run start/TA. When I hit that last turnaround, I realized that most of the field was ahead of me, and I was really getting down about the run at that point. I don’t know my effort felt much harder than it should have for an 8:30 pace, or why my HR was SO HIGH! Urgh.

Anyway, the run was nice as it was on the boardwalk, but the boards had two cement strips going down them, so you could opt to run on the boards or the cement. The boards were nice because they were soft and a little springy, but they got annoying at times, so I would hop onto the cement every now and then. At the end of the boards portion of the run, we’re supposed to take a ramp down to the TA. There were two ramps right next to one another. The guy in front of me took what I thought was the correct ramp, but then he turned around, ran back up it, and took the other ramp. None of the volunteers said anything, so I followed up him down the “other” ramp. But, the other ramp was the wrong ramp :(. I didn’t go too far down…I guess it cost me about 7 seconds total. The volunteers quickly steered me in the right direction. Apparently, the guy ahead of me wasn’t a racer, but just a runner who happened to find himself in the middle of a race.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start out a little slower, and figure out how to get that HR down when racing. It was high to start. Even standing there right before the start, my HR was about 20 bpm higher than it should have been. Maybe it was nerves or something, but I need to have my body feeling like it does when I train – relaxed! Oh, and maybe take the correct route into T1.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Nothing special. This was pretty fast, slipped sneakers off, bike shoes on, helmet on, and I was off. I didn’t do the flying mount dismount (actually, it would have been tough cuz we turned right immediately after bike mount), so I had to run thru TA in my slippery shoes, but I did fine.

Aside from learning the flying mount/dismount for future races, I don’t think there’s anything I could have done differently to improve this particular transition.

Bike
  • 32m 46s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

After crossing the timing mat coming out of T1, I lost some time on the bike portion with clipping in. I haven’t used my new shoes and pedals outdoors a lot, so it’s still not as smooth a process as my old. I was good with getting the first foot in, but then clipping in the second pedal took me like 20-25 seconds. I don’t ever have that problem when riding, so maybe it was just nerves, but I was only going about 15 mph while trying to get my second pedal clipped in. I lost some time at the beginning of the bike portion.

Otherwise, the rest of the bike went well. I stayed to the left the entire time, because I was constantly passing people. It was a 3-loop course, so I guess there were some people I was passing who were a lap behind me. But, it was fun nonetheless. We had to make a U-turn 3 times. The first two times, I did it VERY slowly. As I approached the U-turn for the third time, I said, “Lauren, try it a little faster, there’s no reason to slow to 1 mph!” Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to try that because the guy in front of me fell while rounding the cone. The volunteers ran out to help him (totally forgetting there were other racers on the course, kind of a knee-jerk reaction I guess...I prob would have done the same, so I don't fault them), so I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting them (I wouldn’t have hit the rider, as I was enough to the outside and that situation under control). I never had to unclip, but I basically came to stop and had a slow turn around.

It was a little a windy, so it took a bit more effort than usual to hold a pace that is often comfortable for me.

My unclipping, slowed me down by a few secs before crossing the timing mat into T2, but not enough to affect me like it did on the front end of the bike.

In terms of today’s race, I would have taken those U-turns a little faster. For the future, I need to master the flying mount/dismount, as my regular mounts and dismounts cause me to lose time on both ends of the bike.

Had this course been about a mile or two longer, I surely would have averaged at least 20…I just didn’t have enough road to make up the lost time with clipping in/out, and my SLOW U-turns.
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

34 seconds for my first T2 in 10 months...no complaints there :)

Nada
Run
  • 00m
  • 2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Um, I ran as hard as I could. But it just wasn’t good enough. The pace I held during the run was tough for me to hold, despite being what’s usually a fairly easy pace for me when I do transition runs after long rides. I guess the difference there is that the end (last mile or so) of my long rides is usually slow, so the HR drops, etc. But, it was frustrating to be in a race situation and run worse than I do in training. And my HR was off the charts.

There was a girl who passed me about ¼ mile into the 2nd run. I stayed on her heels for most of the run, but was unable to catch her. I tried really hard at the end, but just couldn’t. She looked older, so I wasn’t too bummed as I figured she was out of my AG (prob 30-34). But, as it turns out, she was in my AG. Bummer. Oh well…she ran well. It just sucks that she beat me on the first run, and I made up all that time on her on the bike, but then she got me on the 2nd run :(. My runs really sucked in this race.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I finished ahead of all my friends who were racing, so I stuck around to cheer them all into the finish. Then, I got the chills (always happens to me on cold days after training/racing), so I went back to the TA to bundle up and stretch a little.

I headed to the post-race breakfast, which was awesome – buffet with eggs, bacon, cereal, potatoes, Danish, muffins, OJ, etc. And, it was indoors, and there were waiters to take our plates, etc. High class I tell you.

At the ceremony, I received a medal for 3rd place in my AG. But, then I got home only to learn they had made a mistake and I was only 5th in my AG. Not cool, man. NOT COOL! I was already feeling down about my race, and then I find out I was wrongly given hardware. Seriously. I don’t even deserve to keep that medal in my house – I should send it back.

After the race, I stopped by a friend’s house and visited with her and the baby for about 4 or 5 hours. My legs were really feeling it for some reason, so on my way home, I picked up some ice and chocolate ice cream, and treated myself to an ice bath and some ice cream when I finally made it home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't really know. I think my overall fitness is very good right now, but I am probably also in a better to position right now to "go long," as opposed to "go hard." I guess I need to get more high-intensity workouts in my schedule. Last week, coach told me that those are the type of workouts that are coming my way. We shall see...

Event comments:

While the entry fee for this race is a little high, the race itself was great. Beautiful venue, great volunteers, awesome food, and a nice awards ceremony. I would definitely recommend this race to others. If I ever get over how poor a job I did, I’ll probably do it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-04-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:03 | 02 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/27
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:02
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:32:46 | 10.5 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 02 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-04-15 11:43 AM

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: DooWop Duathlon

2007-04-15 5:33 PM
in reply to: #761740

Wenonah, NJ
Subject: RE: DooWop Duathlon
Sorry about running in front of you when the guy went down on the turn, but nobody fell, or even came close, during the entire race and just when I was complementing on being the absolute best bike turn around volunteer in the entire world...down he goes, on the last lap! It was kind of like ruining perfect attendance on the last week of school...ok, I wouldn't know about that...but I bet it sucks.

As for your award you might have benefitted from a pass down. If you are fifth in your AG, and two of the women in your AG received awards for the overall female catagory, they aren't eligible for the AG. So congrats...you're top three again!
2007-04-15 5:49 PM
in reply to: #762025

Champion
South Jersey

lredrow - 2007-04-15 6:33 PM Sorry about running in front of you when the guy went down on the turn, but nobody fell, or even came close, during the entire race and just when I was complementing on being the absolute best bike turn around volunteer in the entire world...down he goes, on the last lap! It was kind of like ruining perfect attendance on the last week of school...ok, I wouldn't know about that...but I bet it sucks. As for your award you might have benefitted from a pass down. If you are fifth in your AG, and two of the women in your AG received awards for the overall female catagory, they aren't eligible for the AG. So congrats...you're top three again!

Hey, I didn't know you are on BT! Yeah, I wasn't complaining about your running out to help him (I would have done the same)...Just a little bummed about my missed opportunity to practice a faster U-turn...as they had been slowing me down all day...I would be looking to catch someone who was 20 yards ahead of me, and then after the U-turn, they'd be a 1/4 mile ahead of me . (I am sure you could sense I was a bit frustrated about this race in general.)

And, yes, you were the best bike turn around volunteer ever. (Actually, you were, it was delightful to hear your encouragement as I slowed to 1 mph each time I hit the turn around.) You're always great support at the races.

Take care...see you soon!

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-04-15 5:51 PM
2007-04-15 6:04 PM

Veteran
I did this race! I noticed you mentioned having a quick first mile. You weren't going by the race directors yelling "One more mile to go". He yelled that at me during the first run and I looked at my watch and knew there was no way. I lost time on the bike when an SUV pulled out in front of me just as I had gotten up to speed, fun stuff. I was actually please to see me my first run was slower than my second, which was my plan. I really liked the race and thought it was well done. It was also my first multi sport race so my only reference points are centuries, 5ks, and MS 170 bike-athons.
2007-04-15 6:17 PM
in reply to: #762056

Champion
South Jersey

I thought the 1-mile was at the north end of the convention center building, so that's where I clocked it. I didn't hear anyone saying, "One mile to go," but the two guys behind me both commented that we were at the 1-mile mark.

Good job on following your plan, and sorry to hear about the SUV!

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-04-15 6:22 PM
2007-04-15 6:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Hey there, sounds like you had an awesome bike leg! And a darn good race overall! I was looking for a results page on the race website but can't find one. Were you able to find out if 3rd in the AG is rightfully yours? My guess when I first read your blog yesterday was that two of the folks placed overall and so weren't eligible for the AG awards.
Feel good about your race! and Congratulations!!

2007-04-15 7:20 PM

User image

Houston, TX
i was thinking there was gonna be a race report.  nice job Lauren. 
2007-04-15 7:25 PM
in reply to: #762076

Champion
South Jersey

Bobby Lamonte - 2007-04-15 7:24 PM Hey there, sounds like you had an awesome bike leg! And a darn good race overall! I was looking for a results page on the race website but can't find one. Were you able to find out if 3rd in the AG is rightfully yours? My guess when I first read your blog yesterday was that two of the folks placed overall and so weren't eligible for the AG awards. Feel good about your race! and Congratulations!!

Yeah, that's apparently what happened. But, it doesn't make me feel any better...I was still 5th out of the girls 25-29...3rd just doesn't feel right, y'know?

Thanks for your kind words!

2007-04-15 7:25 PM
in reply to: #762140

Champion
South Jersey

tag - 2007-04-15 8:20 PM i was thinking there was gonna be a race report.  nice job Lauren. 

haha - there was some arm twisting...and I wasn't quite as bitter today as yesterday

2007-04-16 5:53 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Fantastic job Lauren! Racing on the boardwalk must have been a blast. Sounds like you had a great race overall. I think your run times were fantastic!

Congratulations!

2007-04-16 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
btw, my girlfriend ran with her gps, and she clocked both runs a little bit over 2.1miles. I even think the first run was a tad longer than the second based on the way the course and TA was laid out. It's highly likely that your mile pace was ~25s faster than what the results posted. I felt the same way regarding HR/RPE and pace.

2007-04-16 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
I still think you did great Lauren! There were two girls who placed overall so that is why you got third in your age group. I noticed the same thing on mine when it said I placed 4th overall in my age group. If I could have only finished 11 seconds faster!!!! Seriously, great work out there and now just look forward to belleplain and the A races coming later this season.
2007-04-16 8:23 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Great Job! Beating your friends is always nice and following up w/ a buffet , even better. Nice start to the season.
2007-04-16 8:47 AM
in reply to: #762658

Champion
South Jersey

konichiwa - 2007-04-16 9:12 AM btw, my girlfriend ran with her gps, and she clocked both runs a little bit over 2.1miles. I even think the first run was a tad longer than the second based on the way the course and TA was laid out. It's highly likely that your mile pace was ~25s faster than what the results posted. I felt the same way regarding HR/RPE and pace.

Thanks! That makes me feel a little better about my HR/REP to pace ratio. I was wondering if the 2 miles was actually right at the end of the boardwalk section and that the run from the boardwalk to the TA extended it to a little more than 2 miles. Oh well.

You need to post a Race Report!

2007-04-16 8:54 AM
in reply to: #762713

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
I know, I am a slacker...it'll be posted today....at some point
2007-04-16 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Great job!  Congrats.  Sounds like a fun race.

2007-04-16 9:13 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
You did great on the race Lauren.  An 8:30min/mile run pace is not bad.  You can't practice everything at the same time and right now you coach is working on the swimming.  Don't worry, it will come. 
2007-04-16 10:42 AM

User image

Elite

I said Podium Finish, and you did just that!  Doesn't matter how you got third, just that you went home with bling. 

No big surprise you were passing everyone on the bike.

Well done Lauren!  Well done!

2007-04-16 11:22 AM
in reply to: #762983

Champion
South Jersey
oipolloi - 2007-04-16 11:42 AM

I said Podium Finish, and you did just that!  Doesn't matter how you got third, just that you went home with bling. 

No big surprise you were passing everyone on the bike.

Well done Lauren!  Well done!

haha - I guess it's a good thing I was BOP for the first run, because that meant there were plenty of people ahead of me for me to pass .

Thanks. Still not thrilled about the 3rd place as I will still in the lower 50% of the group - BOP . At least my bike and T2 were up there .

2007-04-16 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Wow the bike queen did good

Seems like you had a good race, but I can understand how frustrated you got with the running, they should have mile markers at the right places, or just leave them out completely, wrong markers are just cruel.

I think that the first race of the year is always the most difficult, you can train long and hard, but it will never be the same as racing. You did great and you will do even better next time !

Where you actually faster on the second run?

2007-04-16 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

I think you did a great job!!

And you should be proud that you finished ahead of all your friends

2007-04-16 1:30 PM
in reply to: #763215

Champion
South Jersey
Mesteren - 2007-04-16 1:25 PM

Were you actually faster on the second run?

Yes, but that was my plan.

2007-04-16 1:31 PM

Champion
South Jersey

ooop....double post

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-04-16 1:36 PM
2007-04-16 1:31 PM

Champion
South Jersey

I mean triple post

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-04-16 1:36 PM
2007-04-16 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
I am really glad that you posted your Race Report

Another poster said this, but be sure to check that the other two Women who placed ahead of you are not in the overall standings. (Overall Placement removes you from the AG Standings)

Sounds to me like you ran a good race.

FWIW: Racing by HR is always a Dodgy business; I always leave my HRM at home on race day.

There are a couple of articles written by Pete Pfitzinger (Over on RT) that reference a study done by Noakes that suggest that racing by HR is not really optimal. This will apply at least to the Run portion of your race.

Oh, and I am certain that without those U-Turns on the course, you would surely have topped a 20 MPH Average

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DooWop Duathlon Rss Feed  

of 2