General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 27s
Overall Rank = /350
Age Group = clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate a muffin and some coffee, drove to the park (there was quite a line to get in. set up transition area and talked to a few people.
Event warmup:

Decided to put on wetsuit (bad call) and did a 200 meter swim. took a GU about 15 minutes before the race.
Swim
  • 12m 58s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was probably the worst swim I could've had. It was a logjam at the start and I was getting my a$$ kicked the first 200 meters or so. My goggles started going leaky and I was getting fatigued from the wetsuit being restrictive in the shoulders. I am surprised my swim time was under 2:00/100. I conservatively would expect to do this swim around 11:00.
What would you do differently?:

Do not wear a wetsuit in a short race. Get a triathlon specific wetsuit and make it sleeveless! My wetsuit is for surfing- and it's a cheap one at that. Make sure the goggles are in place better and sealed before the start.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

After a bad swim my wetsuit troubles continued- I could not seem to get it off my ankles. I had to sit on the ground and wrestle it off. Then I finally got my shoes, helmet, glasses, race belt on. I was happy to finally get out of that darn transition. I should have been 30-40 seconds faster here- and that was the time I needed for 3rd place

no wetsuit!- or at least practice in a tri specific suit
Bike
  • 34m 45s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

My sloppiness continues-I had a cleat cover on one of my shoes- so I had to remove it and get clipped back in. After that and the crazy transition, I had a very tough time getting going. I probably averaged 14-16 mph that first mile. Finally settled down on the first downhill and hammered it the rest of the way. I finally got in a zone and had a pretty decent ride. I think my cycling strength could be a little better, but overall pretty pleased with this performance

uncover the cleats, and get more time in the saddle. My training is going to get more bike focused now as this is still a weak area for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Stopped at transition line, ran to my spot and racked the bike. Took off helmet, running shoes on and visor- chose not to wear socks this race and it didn't bother me. was a few seconds slow but this transition went much better
BUT....
somehow my bike slipped off the rack and was still standing up, but it was not racked properly. Mr USAT decided to throw on a penalty for 2:00, which I was surprised with after the race. I still do not see how I had any real control of that, or how it affects anyone. I thought penalties were there to protect us- seemed a bit of a stretch to me and it tainted my effort.

I have a tri saddle that has a lip so I may rack it on the back of the saddle, at t2 I will rack it in the front of the saddle- I still don't know how or who knocked it loose
Other than that I will practice the things I can control.
Run
  • 23m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I was still trying to make up time for the wetsuit/swim mess so I was pushing it hard. I thought I was running so slow, but I was actually passing people! Still I figured i was running about a 26 minute 5k. After all the sloppiness I was happy to see my finishing time of 1:14 and thought I may still have a shot at some hardware.

My running is my most improved area. This is 1 minute slower than my 5k pr, so I am thrilled- this run moved me up from 7th to 4th after t2.
Post race
Warm down:

cheered on some other finishers then checked the early results. At the time only the top clyde finisher had his run time posted, but all the way up to t2 was posted and I was in a disappointing 7th place- one the run results came in i moved up to 4th. I missed 3rd by a minute. Then I found that I was assessed a penalty- I thought WTF!?! I always follow the rules and had a clean race. If I was in 3rd place I would have argued my point more but it really didn't matter. So officially instead of 4th place- I am in 7th and my usat time is 1:16:27

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupid penalty, my own sloppiness, inexperience with wetsuit.

Event comments:

Blue sky does a nice job with this series. It is on time and well organized. My only complaint is the penalty- but that is the USAT guy. Not really much to do after the race, so I went home with mixed feelings about this race. It is the first race of my tri season and I learned from some mistakes and will move forward, and at some point this season get my top 3 finish in the clyde division. Sill overcame a lot, had a fantastic run and a good finishing time. It was only last june that I did my first sprint with only a goal of finishing, so I have come a long way, and will continue to get better.

Last updated: 2007-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:58 | 656 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/350
Performance: Bad
Suit: quicksilver fullsuit
Course: counterclockwise in a small lake. The start was next to a roped off swimming area- therefore making it very tight
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:34:45 | 11.2 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: noce rolling course through the countryside. fast the first 4 miles- then a little more climbing miles 4-8. then fast again the last 2 miles
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:28 | 03.1 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: around a lake and some service roads in the park. long but slight uphills and downhills, pretty fast course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-29 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2007-04-29 1:48 PM
in reply to: #780465

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
Yeah, I agree with you 100% on the wetsuit.  I used it as a practice swim for Gulf Coast, but it still frustrated me.  Too bad about that penalty -- it could happen to anyone.  There are two types of triathletes:  Those who have gotten penalties and those who will.  I'm pretty sure if you do this long enough everyone will get one at some point!  Great race, good run, and a good learning experience!
2007-04-29 2:38 PM

User image

Master

Greg,

You said it best: practice the things you have control over.  True of everything in life my friend.

You are going to have a great season.   

2007-04-29 7:47 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
You had a good race with great splits on the bike and the run! That is definitely something to be proud of! You're going to be kicking some serious tail very soon.
2007-04-29 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, Georgia
chin up bro...dont lose sight of your strength in a race like that...your runs splits rocked!!!! and yes...i agree..no wetsuit in such a short race... just doesnt make since...you live and learn and still kicked arse! dude...nice race!
2007-04-30 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

It sounds like this was a GREAT learning race for you (wetsuit issues, penalty, etc), but you also had an AWESOME race overall!  Just take all of the things and build off it for your 'A' race! 

Congrats on a terrific start to your tri season!!!

2007-04-30 9:05 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Best to make mistakes this early in the season.  Congrats on a tremendous effort and great race!!!
2007-04-30 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Great job, great race! I would have been too freakin cold to swim wetsuitless in under 70, but you're also not as much of a wuss as I am!

Don't sweat the small stuff, you'll get better as you race more this season. Your bike and run were solid - and you already know what to do on the swim now - I see fantastic races for you this year!!

2007-04-30 2:04 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Yes the penalty sucks, but you had a really great race so don't let that be what you focus on when you walk away from it.  You have a whole season in front of you, and you're off to a great start!
2007-04-30 3:12 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great job Greg! Nice time for your first tri.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed