RedRockCo
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 25s
Overall Rank = 64/290
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/45
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Mexico after work on Friday. Made it to packet pickup 30 minutes before they closed up for the night! Then found my friends that I was staying with and was immediately handed a beer. I would drink 2 beers before even getting my stuff to the condo. The condo was huge 4000ft with a balcony that is bigger than my condo. We had some more beers and people we knew stopped by. Went to bed around 10:30. I was crashing on the couch but went to sleep on a chais lounge on the balcony. Woke up after a few hours and went in and finished the night sleeping on the couch.
Event warmup:

Woke up and gradually took my bike to transition. It was really windy so I put my wetsuit on so that I could stay warm. The announcer said "I know it is windy, but for those who completed Ironman 3 weeks ago, this wind will be a piece of cake."

Went to the beach and waded out into the water. There were rocky coral beds that you have to walk over and my buddy Jeff saw a sting ray right by our feet.
Swim
  • 22m 54s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

We were swimming against a lot of chop and waves. The waves were coming at us but I made my way through them very well.

The swim got quite clustered up when the sprint races came onto the same course. It caused the stairs and way to transition to be very crowded. (there were 700 people in the sprint)

It was also difficult to cross the coral/rock beds on the way back in. I cracked a toenail and have a bunch of small tiny cuts (non bleeder cuts) on the bottom of my feet.

I took my googles off to early too as I closed my eyes and went face down in the water to pull myself across the coral/rock beds.

I was breathing a little hard running up the beach area too.
What would you do differently?:

Keep the goggles on until I am on the beach.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Got my suit off quickly and put my socks, shoes, helmet, and sun glasses on and I was off.

Pretty good transition. I was excited to get out on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 43s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out the bike feeling weird. It was because even though I checked my gears... I only checked that the rear cassette was in a good starting gear. I had the crank on the big ring. No big deal though I was right up to speed and started flying by people. My chain then came off on a down shift so I quickly put it on and started flying again. Passing people like they weren't moving (a lot of people were doing the sprint and they also did not like the right side of the road LOL)

I kept seeing some my buddy Jeff (a real good swimmer) and I was getting closer and closer to him (closing the 4 minute gap that he had on me after the swim).

Then at mile 22 as I was right on his heels my front tire went flat. It didn't lose all of the tire pressure so I tried just pumping it up quickly but that did not work so I had to stop and change the tire. It took about 7 minutes and I was back up and running but did not have the best air pressure in my tire. (There was a metal spike that was like a staple in my tire and it was hard to get out) I put the tube and my co2 pump in my jersey pockets and finished the bike ride.

Great bike ride except for the flat tire and my chain falling off once. That was my fault for shifting the front and rear deraillers at nearly the same time.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty quick transition. I was ready to get to runnning after finishing the bike. Racked my bike quickly and had my shoes right on. I also took the flat innertube and bike bump out of my pockets.

Good transition.
Run
  • 42m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran very well. I started out the run and did not feel any effects of the bike ride (partly due to my 7 minute tire change leg rest period). It was nice seeing a lot of the AZ Tri Club peeps and others that I know on the course. Lots of high fives and cheers! I really did not think I would catch Jeff at this point because he was quite a ways ahead of me now.

I figured I was going to run a real good run a kept smiling as I ran along. I felt that I picked the pace up on the 2nd loop and I was running faster as the race went on.

Right as we got to the hotel I passed Jeff and then we hit the beach run portion.

The sand was really soft and became the hardest part of the race. It was really hard to run on and especially since I was trying to run fast. I found that I just had to try to increase my stride length as I ran along and finished.

Very happy. I felt that I negative split the run and I came in under 7 minute per mile pace.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the line and ABQkid and Lobo (Mike and Tim) were standing there with a Corona for me. I graciously accepted it and asked how they did. Mike and Tim kicked some butt in the sprint finishing 5th and 8th overall. (I still joked with them that a Ironman should be doing the Oly as it is now our sprint distance race... LOL)

My buddy Jeff then looked at my beer and said "where did you get that?" I told him that Tim and Mike had the beer for me and we then saw the huge line to get beer. Jeff and I then went and quickly got cleaned up and grabbed a cooler of beer so that we could make sure our AZ Tri Club teammates would not have to wait in line for beer. We sat on the beach under the straw umbrellas and drank beer watching everyone finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat tire and sand. We'll blame the wind too.. LOL Oh.. and my swim speed. It was a good race just not a perfect race which is extremely hard to have! :)

Event comments:

Even though there were some small short comings, this race is AWESOME and I still had a good race!

The location is great and what is better than a Cinco De Mayo triathlon in Mexico. Shrimp, beer, fireworks, the beach.... just a great time! (except for the 2 hours it took to cross the border... LOL)

Last updated: 2006-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:54 | 1000 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 0/290
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot john
Course: Triangle swim going out around a buoy then paralell to the beach to another and then back in to the beach. There was a long beach area at low tide to go across and more coral/rock beds to cross. Then a run up the beach to some stairs and up through the resort to transition. Long ways from the water. (all included in the swim time)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:22:43 | 24.8 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
<b>Time includes 2 transitions and 7 minutes of flat tire action</b>
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 loop course in the resort area. Some speed humps that basically at 20+ mph were jumps. Some sharp turns and turn arounds and turns on brick layed round abouts.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:50 | 06.21 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Course: 2 out and back loops finishing on the beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-07 11:23 AM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon

2007-05-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: #791394

User image

Veteran
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon
Great Race. Sorry about your bike troubles.
2007-05-07 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Nice race Andy! Bummer about the tire but unfortunately these things happen. It seems like you handled it well. From the race report I'm having a hard time figuring out if the weekend was a beer weekend or a triathlon weekend. I guess there is no harm in it being both!

2007-05-07 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Great race Chile!

Glad you had fun down there. Too bad about the flat But you still smoked it!

2007-05-07 1:52 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Nice race..  Way to finish with a smokin' run !!!

2007-05-07 2:21 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race!  Sorry about the flat, that sucks.  You handled it well however!  Sounds like a blast!

2007-05-07 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Nice race! Seems like a real fun one, although those border waits can really drag on and on, especially when your hung over. Not that I know anything about that.....
2007-05-07 2:58 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Wow, you had a great race! So cool! Sounds like you had an awesome time. Too bad there wasn't any nudity involved.
2007-05-07 3:40 PM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida
Awesome Race and RR! 
2007-05-07 5:39 PM
in reply to: #791926

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-07 6:41 PM

Champion
Sydney
Oow - how are the soles of your feet after the coral etc? Great race - even with the flat

2007-05-07 9:58 PM
in reply to: #792129

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
Sounds like you had a fun time down there!  Sorry to hear about the flat!    Great job.
2007-05-07 10:37 PM

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
For me, the beer would make up for the flat!  Great race despite the flat!
2007-05-08 4:37 PM

Pro
AZ
Great job Andy. I am glad you had a good time!!!
2007-05-08 11:25 PM

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Another great race Andy. Super fast even with the flat. Trying to walk out of the water over that coral had to have doubled my swim time. On a positive note, I didn't get stung by a sting ray.
2007-05-09 10:18 AM

Albuquerque, NM

Great race south of the border Andy!  I was glad to hand you that beer at the finish line, but I wish i could've had one for your friend.  He looked rejected when he saw yours.  Where were you at the dinner?  Time and I took off after receiveg our awards 

Keep up the good work!

Mike

2007-05-09 10:58 AM

Extreme Veteran
AZ

Great race Andy!!  You always have such a positive attitude about your races.  That's what it's all about.

2007-05-09 4:05 PM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome race! The other racers put stuff on the road to make you more human, since you're such an animal on that bike! Great job, and glad you had such a blast- sounds like an awesome time.
2007-05-10 7:57 AM

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR
Awesome race Andy!  Triathlon, shrimp, lots of beer, fireworks and no federalis chasing your tail.....priceless!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon Rss Feed