United States
44F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 15s
Overall Rank = 30/57
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

We got to the hotel very late and had to be up very early. Got dressed, went downstairs, got in the car and went to the race. No real routine.
Event warmup:

Not much. Took the bike out for a spin to make sure it was moving through all the gears and there were no problems, filled the tires, and then got in the wetsuite and floated around in the water to get the feel of it.

Did NOT do the needed run from swim in and bike in to figure out exactly how to get to my transition spot like I should have and I paid dearly for it as you'll read later.
Swim
  • 14m 57s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt very smooth in the water. Felt much smoother than I have for any other race.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. This felt pretty good. Maybe try to focus more on a strong stroke.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Not sure of my T1 time as I forgot to hit my watch and it is mixed in with the bike but it was sloooooowwwww. I didn't know where my bike was and everything looked the same. I ended up running down the wrong aisle about three times before I realized I was one rack over. By that time I was flustered. My T1 transition is always a little slow anyway and I've only done one other race getting a wetsuit off. Add the rack confusion and the whole thing felt a little off. And slooooowwwww.

Know where my bike was.
Bike
  • 1h 23m
  • 24.3 miles
  • 17.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Not sure of my bike time as I forgot to hit my watch so both transitions are mixed in with it. I do know it was above 17 miles and hour, but definitely not close to 18. This was a little hillier than I expected so I didn't get to spend much time in aero. I don't have the gear shifters on my handlebars and I would have had to come in and out of aero so often it wasn't worth it most of the time. I tried to go as hard as I could and told myself my run would be fine at the end. I didn't allow myself to think about what would happen if it wasn't because I would have just slowed down on the bike to save myself and I'm not sure that would have helped the run anyway.

Nutrition wasn't great. I took two gus but I know I didn't get enough fluids.

Despite that, this is my second fastest bike ever at this distance in a race. My previous was end of last season at my PR oly race (18.1 mph).

Hydrate better so I'd be in better shape going in to the run, get gear shifters on the handle bars so I could stay in aero longer, and generally be stronger on hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not sure of T2 either as I forgot to hit my watch so it is mixed in with the bike. Much faster and smoother than T1. I would definitely guess two minutes or even less.

Not much for this one except remember to grab my last gu. I left it in the bento box on my bike and I knew better. I should have put it in my running shoes. So I left it which meant I did the entire run on water with my last gue having been about 20 minutes out on the bike.
Run
  • 38m 56s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile splits:

7:32
7:37
7:47
8:04
7:55

I struggled with this run a lot more than I usually do. My legs felt heavy the entire race. My hamstrings started getting really tight about halfway through and then the last mile the dizziness and lightheadedness, wheeziness, etc which has been the trademark of my running lately set in. And very quickly. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I made sure to keep the wheezing at bay as much as possible as that's what drew attention and got me pulled out at the marathon at Milwaukee and I made myself keep running through the lightheadedness and dizziness by telling myself it was just one mile.

Realize that the person in front of me in the last 200 yards was a woman so that when Chris and Tom screamed at me to catch her I wasn't looking at the woman 100 yards ahead and thinking they were crazy. I might actually have caught her had I realized they meant the person about 20 yards or less in front of me.

Not be overtrained and overtired so my body was rested enough to run as fast as I know it can and should. Be better hydrated coming off the bike and remember my gu. I also realize however that I shouldn't complain too much about a 7:50 pace. That's still decent.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line and thought I might pass out. Staying vertical was very difficult. I was so lightheaded, unconsciousness felt like an imminent possibility so I scooted myself to the side of the path where runners were coming in to get out of the way and put my head down. I really just wanted to lay down and fall asleep.

Griz, despite his own hip pain and cramping saw me, asked if I was okay, and made me walk with him a bit to keep the blood flowing until I felt better. Thanks Griz. The lightheadedness stayed around for a couple hours afterwards, but it was tolerable.

I'm really happy with the AG. Things didn't go perfect, but it was still a great race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Already covered.

Event comments:

Good race. Nice course and organized.

Last updated: 2007-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:57 | 800 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 35/57
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintana Roo super full
Course: Small lake, out to the other side, around some buoys, and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:00 | 24.3 miles | 17.57 mile/hr
Overall: 32/57
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Some flat stretches and some stretches with lots of rollers. Tight turn at the turn around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:56 | 04.97 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 17/57
Performance: Below average
Course: Nice course, mostly on a bike/walking path. A couple of small but not so fun hills in the last mile or so and then about a half mile on trail at the end before you come out for the finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-19 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: Terre Haute Triathlon

2007-05-19 7:00 PM
in reply to: #808115

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
Subject: RE: Terre Haute Triathlon
Congrats on placing in your age group. You Rock!
2007-05-19 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Wow! Despite some challenges, you really held it together and had a great race. And 2nd AG! AWESOME! Great job!
2007-05-19 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice paces all the way around!

Congrats on the hardware...always sweet~

Sounds a bit scary what happened on the run...glad you were able to push through it but still seems like you need to resolve that.

2007-05-20 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Congrats on the hardware!!! I'm glad you made it through the run, and even with all the details that weren't perfect you did awesome.  Now you'll have the kinks worked out for Alcatraz. 

WTG!

2007-05-20 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Just think ... work out the minor stuff and you're going to rock at the next race! Nice work!

2007-05-22 2:55 PM

Congrats on AGing! And man, you have awesome run times; I'd take those times any day for a regular ol' 5k! Good job!
2007-05-23 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome job on the hardware!! You ran a really great race, and all your splits were smokin' fast! I'm sorry you felt like crap, but your times sure don't show it! Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Terre Haute Triathlon Rss Feed