Tri-PTC
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 23s
Overall Rank = 89/266
Age Group = clyde
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

Thought the race started at 8 AM, showed up at 6:30, got my packet and realized we were going at 7:15. I hastily put together the transition area, managed to find and chat with Neal, Matt, George and Kelley- all bt'ers I know or have met at other races. (bing a bt'er is really cool)
Event warmup:

dipped my toes in the water, bs'ed with some people and lined up for swim start
Swim
  • 33m 31s
  • 1637 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have had a sore shoulder for the last week since the bike wreck I had last saturday, so I was worried a little about this swim. It turned out to be ok. My shoulder was a little sore, and I lacked some pulling strength on my right arm, which affected my form- but I still had a reasonable time and didn't hurt myself too much on time, and managed to get in a rythym. I did have some slight navigation corrections. The yellow swim caps were very similar in color to the yellow buoys, so I had to concentrate to spot the buoys.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get the shoulder healed up, other than that more OWS experience. I will say that the time trial swim start they do in ptc really makes it much easier.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I was a little too leisurely here. I opted to wear shoes and socks because my feet were freezing.I forgot my glasses as I hastily set up transition. Also I opted to wear gloves (i normally wouldnt) because my palm is beat up and bleeding from landing on it during my wreck last week.

take more time to set up transition. I plan on doing this in under 2:00 consistently. Practice, practice, and practice
Bike
  • 1h 18m 53s
  • 26 miles
  • 19.78 mile/hr
Comments:

In my haste setting up, I forgot to gear it down. So I finally get clipped in and moving and immediately drop my chain. Rough start, but it really only cost me 30 second or so. After that I managed to get up to speed faster in this race than the last. I hammered hard and passed several groups of people. It was tough to gauge where I stood in the race because I was one of the last swimmers in the water. I also put my aerodrink bottle in backwards so I had to stretch to get some water because the straw was sticking the other way. I finally got to a group of guys and we took turns passing each other. I am still tentative on downhills because of the recent wreck, so I hold back a little especially on rough surfaces. The same guys I would pass on the uphills, would pass me on the downhills (sounds like smart racing to me). I had to do a lot of gear changing on this course and it was tough to get in a rythym. This was a very challenging course, but I am very happy with the result.

Again, take more time to set up transition, gear it down, and put the aerobottle in right. other than that I did not hold much back
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

ran with bike and immediately spotted my ugly hot pink towel. racked my bike and changed my shoes. removed the gloves and put on my visor.took a gu and a little water

I could have shaved a few seconds here too. I had to pull off the gloves and also elected to take a gu where I should have done it at the end of the bike. I expect to be around 1:25 or less here
Run
  • 54m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I struggled here. I usually expect to have a strong run, but all I could manage is my half marathon pace. I realize now that I have a sinus infection/head cold, which explains the extra fatigue and never ending snot rockets and hockers. The bike left me a little tapped out too, but even during the run I could not figure out where that 5th gear was.My feet were freezing still from the bike, so it took me a few minutes to feel my toes. The tunnels were weird too- they were giving me vertigo. I didnt start passing people until mile 1. I expected to do about a 51:00 10k here.

I need to do more long bricks. This 15 minute t-run practice is not going to get me faster off the bike. I need to do hard rides followed by hard runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a nice cheer at the finish by felix and his daughter. Found meredith and her fiancee. grabbed some water and spectated for a while and cheered on neal. Had some smoky bones bbq- which is great post race food! watched the awards with neal, his daughter, bep, and george.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My scant training the last 3 weeks did not help, but should have been sufficient for this distance. Definitely the head cold played a part on the fatigue level, and the tough week after the wreck. My whole body was sore most of last week, I am just lucky I got to race and I still think I did above average. This is my first oly and it sets a benchmark for my "A" race in Chattanooga.

Event comments:

First time event and they aced it. It was a small race, but the post race was above average, the water stations were plentiful, and they had enough support so I have nothing to complain about here. You can always count on the folks in peachtree city to do it up right.I plan on doing this race again next year.

Last updated: 2007-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:31 | 1637 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 0/266
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: straight out, right turn, and straight back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:18:53 | 26 miles | 19.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/17
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: lots of rollers on this course. Some neighborhoods in PTC and some rural areas outside of the city. several rough spots, but not too bad. Fun and challenging course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:54:03 | 06.21 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/17
Performance: Below average
Course: peachtree city golf cart path. One big loop
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: Peacthree City Olympic Triathlon

2007-05-20 11:52 AM
in reply to: #808349

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Peacthree City Olympic Triathlon

Good RR, Greg...sounds like you were definitely dealing with some things out of your control - sore from wreck, a bit under the weather, etc. - but you kept a good outlook and prevailed.  Sounds like this race was also a good one for "lurnin'"   Regardless, GREAT job!!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, bro!!

2007-05-20 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
I know all about dealing with tose post wreck pains! Great job!
2007-05-20 12:15 PM

User image

Master

Great job. 

A few thoughts:

- I have a night before checklist and transition area checklist from on BT and a few other sites.  This helps. Especially the one here has a diagram for how to layout at transition area.

- On your comment of "I need to do hard rides followed by hard runs.", all I will say is that in "Going Long" they specifically recommend against this and opine that it is the #1 way to get injured.  YMMV

2007-05-20 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Congrats on a great race, Greg! You did awesome and you're going to rock Chattanooga and the rest of your races this season!
2007-05-20 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Great job!  It was nice to see you again!  I am glad that you didn't let the dive on the bike take you out of the race. 

2007-05-21 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Great job - your first Oly is now under your belt and you'll know what to improve on for your next race. Your time is awesome, expecially on a hilly course (I'm assuming it's similar to the sprint course) and a week after a wreck - great job!!

I do have to second Jonathan's comment above - I have also read that long hard bike followed by long hard run is a quick way to injury and that elites don't even do that. But, what do I know, I suck at running at the end of a tri!

2007-05-21 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Congrats on your first Olympic distance!!  You really did great, especially coming off of the injury.  It was a tough course and your times are really good.  Great to see you out there.  
2007-05-21 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great race.  Get healed up and you will nail Chattanooga!!!
2007-05-21 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Good job on the race. I enjoyed hanging out with you, Meredith, and George.

BTW, Britni likes your car.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peacthree City Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed