Reebok
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m 51s
Overall Rank = 133/383
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 8/21
Pre-race routine:

Got up even before God (4 am). ;-) Ate 2 pieces of toast w/ peanut butter, drove to event with my friend Stephanie and we talked all about the butterflies that were racing in our tummies. Parked and had to hike the bikes up to the race area. Got my body marked (#69...yeah!), set up my transition area, and watched Michellie Jones in awe. Steph and I cursed ourselves for being poor and not being able to afford a wetsuit! Called my friend Ellen who was volunteering and called my boyfriend Brian to see if he was going to be there on time. Then I decided to end my worrying and warm up!
Event warmup:

Steph and I jogged down to the swim exit (where we said hi to Ellen) and then ran the run from the water to the transition area. We noted how far we'd have to be running!!! We went back to the transition area and stretched a bit, found Brian, exchanged hugs, posed for pictures (hams!), and walked down to the swim start.

Before the swim, they played the national anthem. It was very fitting, it being the day after 9/11, and all of the women broke out in a whisper of song. It was very moving. We were all teary-eyed and realized that we were about to plunge into the water and had to compose ourselves once again.

As I was walking into the water, my boyfriend was cheering and taking pictures. My cousin's dad ran up and gave me a hug and my cousin cheered really loudly as she held our doggie on a leash. I blew them all kisses and Steph and I walked down the dock to the swim start, hugging along the way in anticipation of what we were about to embark on.
Swim
  • 19m 51s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

We had no warmup opportunity which is what I really wanted/needed before the swim, so I knew the beginning was going to be tough. The swim start was hard!!! I had to jump in the water and tread. I was in the second wave and we only had 1 minute from the time the elite athletes started until we did. I jumped in and by the time I resurfaced, they said "go!". I had to empty my goggles for they had some water from plunging in. I was nowhere near the start line when they said go. I didn't put my head under water for the first 200 because I couldn't catch my breath. Did a bit of backstroke to try and calm down and that didn't work, so I just pushed myself to keep going. After the first 200 we rounded the first buoy I settled down and got into a rhythm, breathing every 3 strokes and sighting every 6. Ended up with a decent time considering my first 200 was probably over 6 minutes. But I was glad to see the end!!!

The big thing that bothered me is that the buoys were bright orange...as were the swim caps of my wave!!! So it was tough to do a quick sight...you had to actually look up and make sure you were looking at the buoy and not at someone's head!!!
What would you do differently?:

Get a warmup in. Many things were out of my hands on this one!!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

The T1 included a long run from the swim exit. I passed about 5 women on that run!!! Ha, take that for passing me on the swim!!! Most of that small run was on concrete, but the last part was through mud (great, thanks!). So I go into the transition area and immediately stepped on my towel. I had put baby powder in my socks and they flew right on. As I was getting the rest of my gear on, my family/friends were right next to me making jokes and cheering me on. There is a picture of me just cracking up I was laughing so hard!! My shirt went on in a hurry and my helmet was fine. I ran with my bike to the exit, mounted quickly and was off!

I was number 2/21 in my age group and 31/383 overall as far as T1 times...I am proud of that!!!

Nothing, it went great!!
Bike
  • 43m 54s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.40 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was really hard. They said we lost about 40% of our breaking capacity because the roads were still wet from the early morning rain. I was pretty scared!!! The course started uphill, but that was fine. There were parts where I got up to 28 mph!!! Then I realized how fast that was and slowed down a bit. Being timid in the bike is probably what cost me minutes. The hills were not too bad except the very last one. Anyone w/o a road bike had to get off and walk it. I was averaging a steaming 4 mph up that hill!!! Of course it was in the last 1/2 mile of the course, so that made it hard to get in a high enough gear to get the legs ready for the run. There were parts of the course that were a bit too narrow for me to feel comfortable, so I was timid on those as well.

Worst of all, my seat was killing me!!! I am pretty boney and I am actually bruised from the bike!! I had to adjust so many times that I couldn't relax into a cadence very well.

Buy a nice, squishy gel seat anatomically designed for a woman!!! I just need more practice on a bike. I am very happy with my average speed since there were rolling hills and I had some discomfort.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

T2 was much like T1...people cheering and making me laugh!! I was fast and ready for the run. Got off the bike quickly, ran it to the rack, shoved it on, ripped off the helmet, and off I went!! I was 2/21 in my age group, 20/383 overall for T2 times. Alright me!!! :-)

Not a darn thing.
Run
  • 40m 20s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very disappointed in the run. This is supposed to be my strongest event!!! I started off having extreme pain in the tendons and ligaments in my ankles. They were stressed the entire time. I was on the verge of tears because I knew I could have had this one, even despite the course being a tough one. But it was out of my hands, so I decided to do what I could. I fought off walking by asking my cousin's mom, Terri, for strength to keep on going. I almost cried as I did so, because I knew I was running in memory of her and just wanted to finish strong. I could her her in my mind saying "hey, I suffered through chemo and all that, so just suck it up and keep on movin'!!" So I did. I hurt the entire time, I wanted to cry so badly. But there were angels on the course in the form of the men, women, and children who came out of their houses, lined the run course, and cheered. One lady in particular stood out in my mind...she was hanging out of her kitchen window ringing a cow bell screaming "woo hoo!". How could I walk or cry when they were out there? I just smiled and kept on going. I rounded the last corner towards the finish line, and there they were: my friends, my family. Steph was first, her medal dangling from her neck, screaming with all her might to get me going. Then I saw the finish line, and could hear Brian and Desi screaming, then my friend Louise (her Irish accent was, of course, a stand out). As I crossed the finish line, my pal Ellen was there to take my timing chip and gave me a big hug and helped me gather my bearings. I was DONE!

Um...not have stupid ankles? I actually had an allergic reaction two nights before to something I ate, and my mom said that sometimes the histamine can cause weird things to happen to your muscles and tendons. My arches cramped right when the allergy happened, so I'm sure that it was related. So next time I won't eat a "Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki" sandwich at Subway!
Post race
Warm down:

Had my friends help me to the chairs. I cuddled with my doggie, hugged Stephanie a lot, cried with my cousin, and Brian was there to hold me. I couldn't walk much, so that was the extent of my cool-down. I found Michele (zagagirl) by chance and we gave each other big hugs. It was amazing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um...besides the obvious!?! I think it all went down hill after the swim. The bike was ok, but my lungs had a bit of water in them and my breathing was labored when it shouldn't have been. Next time it will be better, I know it!

Event comments:

This race was H-A-R-D. When Michellie Jones says that this will be one of the hardest courses we will ever run, you take that to heart!!!

Although I felt my performance was not great, I still think this was a great race for me. Not only did I achieve my goal of finish my triathlon and raising money for ovarian cancer research ($2220!!), I learned a lot during this race. Every race is a great race, if anything just for the pure fact that I am privileged enough to be able to race. I had so many people supporting me that I was on cloud nine.

RACE PICS: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...

Last updated: 2004-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:51 | 750 meters | 02m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 163/383
Performance: Below average
Suit: Just the Tri shorts/top combo
Course: Triangle course around the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:54 | 12 miles | 16.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 170/383
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with two loops around the Weyerhauser property in the middle. Nothing flat...rolling hills the entire way. Evil huge hill in the last mile
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:20 | 04 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 174/383
Performance: Bad
8:05...10:03...10:23...11:48...I think the mile markers were off, noone's times made sense to them when I asked. I was probably more consistenly 10 min pace the entire time.
Course: HARD!! More rolling hills. Two loops on asphalt around lake. Had many nasty up and down hills, including "Cardiac Hill".
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-09-13 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: Reebok Women's Triathlon

2004-09-13 2:02 PM
in reply to: #60891

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Reebok Women's Triathlon

Congratulations on a great race AND fund-raising effort. 

It's always amazing how hard the run is after those 1st 2 legs under normal conditions - but with a tough bike and ankle problems to boot, even more kudos for finishing. 

Great job!!!!

2004-09-13 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Jazzy,

Congratulations. You stuck with it and finished. Enjoy your victory and I wish you the best in your continued training and racing!

Karl
2004-09-13 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
England
Great result and great and moving race report. Congratulations on the fund raising and completing your race!
2004-09-13 3:32 PM

User image

Seattle, WA
Dearest Jazzy,
I am so proud of you for completing this race and I wanted everyone to know!!! You were amazing for never giving up and finishing strong through all of the obstacles. It was such a wonderful experience to go through with you.
Love,
Yoshi
2004-09-13 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job!! Congratulations on toughing it out, and for doing it for such a great cause!

Kelly

2004-09-13 3:49 PM
in reply to: #60954

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Great race and report Jas .....and I will be sure to keep clear of Subway
2004-09-13 8:50 PM

90 miles south of Titletown, USA
Congratulations on a great race! Not only that, but the fund-raising effort is just as impressive.....sounds like you guys had a great time in the process as well.
2004-09-13 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Fantastic race report....I'm so proud of you!!

Yes, food allergies can do strange things to connective tissue.  I have had joint pains after eating the wrong thing...it sucks!

Jen

2004-09-13 11:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
you did a great job in your race and your race report was very moving. thanks for sharing.
2004-09-14 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: Race Pics are UP!

2004-09-14 6:12 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Congratulations on a race well-run!!!

2004-09-14 8:05 PM

User image

Altadena, CA
Congrats Jasmine!
Finishing a triathlon is a huge accomplishment.

When I decided to start training about a month ago, I found BT. It was pretty much what I expected. What I didn't expect was to find one of my Seattle friends on the site. What a wonderful surprise that was. Seeing someone I know on the site working towards my same goal was a real inspiration. Thank you.

Keep up the great work. And, please pass on a big "Hello" to all the atmos folks.

Hopefully, at the end of November I'll have pictures and a report of my own to post.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reebok Women's Triathlon Rss Feed