Pikes Peak Road Runners
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 71/78
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The thought of anything I do pre-race being a "routine" is funny to me. I am so scatter-brained in the mornings! I guess both races I've done have had 3 common pre-race elements so maybe that's a routine:

1. wake up, usually much later than planned
2. immediately begin panicking about everything
3. pee. a lot.

This morning was no exception. I slept through my alarm, and woke up at about the time I had planned to be leaving! I almost decided to skip it and go back to bed but I figured since I already had everything packed and ready that I would still be able to get there. So I got up, had a quick bowl of oatmeal, got dressed....tried to get online to confirm my directions but the internet is out. eek! Oh well I think I can kinda sorta remember what the map looked like telling me where to go, and I think I know the names of the streets...Run around frantically trying to figure out what I need to take with me. I actually did well, I brought enough water and a snack for before and afterwards. I even packed sunscreen (though of course forgot to use it, but the thought was there!) I managed to get packed and get out the door about 2 minutes before what I had decided would be my cut off time when it would no longer be worth it to drive out there.

Sooo....get in the car, drive for an hour....realize that no radio stations are playing good pump up music at 6 am saturday morning but find something at least bearable. Get stuck in lots of road contstruction...find that the exit i'm supposed to take has a detour 2 exits earlier that there were no signs for until all of a sudden a big "detour exit here!" which of course I was in the wrong lane and missed. Thankfully I had an idea of another way to get there so i didn't have to turn around. Got lucky and found the park and a place to park. Ate an apple on my way there....about 15 minutes away...not sure if that was a good idea or not but it sure sounded good at the time!
Event warmup:

Running from car to registration table, which I see being packed up as I arrive. After they agree to let me in (yay!) ran to the bathroom (ewwww stinky park bathrooms!) and to the start, just in time to hear them say "go!" I would've liked to do some stretching and stuff but oh well!
Run
  • 25m 39s
  • 2 miles
  • 12m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

No warm-up + almost no sleep the night before + being under an insane amount of stress from school and life = not a good mental place to start a race! The first mile was miserable! I spent most of it cussing to myself about how crappy I felt, how much I sucked, how much running sucks, etc. etc. I was almost ready to give it up after the first mile! I just couldn't find any sort of groove at all. The second mile was a bit better. I tried to mentally "start over" and tell myself to forget about the beginning and just a run a good mile. My pace was still horrible but at least I felt better about it. I still couldn't run any longer than 2 minutes w/out losing focus and stopping to walk, but the cussing died down and I finished and was even able to smile at the finish line. My time was surprisingly not as bad as I had expected. And I didn't get last! I beat an old man wearing jeans and walking...a little boy who was about 6 or 7, and an old lady who had to be at least 70 and looked like she barely had the strength to stand up on her own! lol I was actually relieved to see a few runner looking ppl my age come in after me as well, so it wasn't all senior citizens and small children that I beat!

The course was very poorly marked. The first mile was fine...out around a cone and back along the same trail. Got to see all the speedy people go flying by me on the other side. The course passed through the start/finish line again after the first mile, and as I crossed the winners were coming in to finish! The second mile was a loop on the other side of the starting line. Problem was the turn off for the first part of the loop was a barely visible little single-track. It had a cone next to it but no sign or anything. The people ahead of me kept going straight so I did too, but people coming the other way started yellin to us that we missed the turn and it was supposed to be a loop. So I doubled back and did the loop, but a lot of people I was keeping pace with didn't and just did another out and back, which was a little frustrating. The loop was narrow and didn't add a whole lot of distance but enough to make a difference. Oh well, at least I know I ran the full 2 miles (plus a little bit! lol) A few people did make the turn at the end and ran the loop backwards to make up for it. They definitely need a sign or something there!

Oh and there was no water station. I should've figured that since it was a short race and a free event, but I really needing a drink of water and didn't have a bottle with me.
What would you do differently?:

Know the course (they had a little old man explain it but he was so soft spoken I didn't even realize he was addressing the whole group until he was almost done. I really honestly thought he was just talking to the people in the front row, and was confused because the announcer had said someone was going to explain the course). I think i'll bring water with me next time too. Oh and training would've helped. :) And getting sleep the night before and getting there with enough time to warm up would've helped a lot!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, and laid down in the grass to enjoy the morning. I do love mornings once I'm awake for them...it's just the getting out of bed part that's hard!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, not knowing the course, and definitely all the craziness going on in my head. It seems that like everything else, my abilities are severely limited by my head games.

Event comments:

This was a great event, especially considering it was free!! It was well put together, the volunteers were great, and aside from the lack of course signs it appeared very professional. I was surprised there wasn't much post race stuff. I had expected people to hang out for a while and talk, but most people just finished their run and left. I guess you gotta get there early for the social part! Anyway, I am very impressed with this group and plan to head out again for their next month's race!

Last updated: 2007-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:39 | 02 miles | 12m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/78
Performance:
Course: Flat dirt trail...good for me and my shins!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-02 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Nielson Challenge

2007-06-02 3:21 PM
in reply to: #826788

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Nielson Challenge
Good job.

I like your rpt. I can totally relate to little sleep, life stress, and waking up too late...... exactly what happened to me this am before my first half marathon....UUGGGHHHHHH. Turned out ok though.

Keep it up !

Edited by tri42 2007-06-02 3:22 PM
2007-06-02 4:42 PM

Regular
good job on completing the event! Sure sounds like a very hectic morning, but you did it! Just remember to sleep more and have an extra alarm for your next race.
2007-06-02 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

I think you did an awesome job!!

I would have probably given up the minute I realised I had overslept. Great job for going anyways!

Be proud of yourself

2007-06-02 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Great job getting to the race with all the distraction.  You should be so proud of yourself because I know (from past experience) that is not easy!  Sounds like you had fun and want to do it again.  Yay!!!!  

Diane

2007-06-02 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
good effort getting through it all so well especially after all the stress / lack of sleep etc etc conspiring against you.

2007-06-02 8:59 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Way to go Lacey!  So glad you did it.  Sounds like you learned a lot.  Now, find another one to apply all that newfound knowledge!
2007-06-02 11:51 PM
in reply to: #826977

User image

Expert
In limbo

PeterAK - 2007-06-02 7:59 PM Way to go Lacey!  So glad you did it.  Sounds like you learned a lot.  Now, find another one to apply all that newfound knowledge!

Well the good news is this is a monthly race....exact same course and everything every month.  So....first saturday in July I'll have a chance to get my revenge!

Thank you all soooo much for your comments and support!  It feels so good to have encouragement from people who "get it" and have been there.  Now that I've had some time to think about it I'm feeling pretty darn good about making it there at all.  I still hate running, but I'm actually already looking forward to next month's race to see how I can do after doing some training.  Thanks again!  You all are awesome!      

2007-06-03 12:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
I do this race every month. It is really great. A 2 mile handicap race designed to give the person who improves the most a chance to win the day. Glad to see another BTer found this little race. Maybe we will run into each other next time around, but you got to get your butt out of bed earlier.

Good luck and thanks for posting a note about this wonderful little race.

Dean Buck

Edited by PintoRacer 2007-06-03 12:18 AM
2007-06-03 12:27 AM
in reply to: #827055

User image

Expert
In limbo

PintoRacer - 2007-06-02 11:14 PM I do this race every month. It is really great. A 2 mile handicap race designed to give the person who improves the most a chance to win the day. Glad to see another BTer found this little race. Maybe we will run into each other next time around, but you got to get your butt out of bed earlier. Good luck and thanks for posting a note about this wonderful little race. Dean Buck

Hey cool!!  I recognize your name from reading the results!!  You've got the yearly winner title so far!   I had no idea you were a BTer though...cool!     

It is a really great race, I'm so excited to have found it!  I think it's so cool that they cater so much to beginners and have so many short distance races.  Not to mention that when it's all based on improvement I actually have hope of getting somewhere.  We'll have to meet up next month.  I'm determined to get there before they're packing up the registration table next time!

2007-06-03 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Good for you in doing a great job. Sounds like fun to me!

2007-06-03 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Hey Turtle - I'm glad to hear that you got up for the race!!!!  And even more glad that you're shins are doing well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nielson Challenge Rss Feed