Palmetto State Triathlon Series
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 34s
Overall Rank = 217/271
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6AM, got ready (incl. shower), drank my green tea and at 1.5 mini bagels with PB & H. Sipped on gaterade on the drive to the park. Got to the park about 40 minutes prior to start, was set up and walking to start by 20 mintues prior to start. This seemed perfect timing to me.
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Swim
  • 36m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out on the steps again this year, so I could push off and not have to tread water. I feel good about this decision, as I the wave was so small I really didn't have to swim around anyway (although maybe this is because I was SOOOOO slow). It was impossible to see the buoys on the way out (there weren't enough buoys in this race, in my opinion) and about halfway out there was a lot of yelling, so I lost some time trying to figure out what was happening. Apparently someone was hanging on to a buoy and wanted to be pulled out so some other girls were trying to help flag down a boat.

The swim didn't feel particularly good. The buoys were all over the place and after the first turn, most poeople just started sighting off the yellow buoys, since the others were so off course. The chop was pretty strong for a lake, I swallowed way more lake water than normal. My form felt good, my pull felt decent, but I really did feel like I was swimming slower than normal.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure, maybe have Lisa recheck my form? I have swam more since St As than I have swim previously, but I feel like I'm getting slower again. Maybe I've screwed something up?
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Decent transition - I even ran the whole way from the swim (which is great for me). It took me a few extra seconds than usual, but nothing bad.

Not sure
Bike
  • 1h 18m 11s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.42 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was a little tougher than I remembered (and a little tougher than it looked when we drove the course on Saturday), but I am very happy with my performance. It's funny that this year and last year my pace was the same at this race and St As, even though the terrain is so totally different.

I actually didn't feel too good on the course, I felt like I was going slower than I needed to, but I kept pushing and was surprised at the time when I got to transition. There were some strong winds out there, but nothing unusual. I drank through all my HEED and Water on the bike, and finished 5 clif blocks - right on plan.

When I came back in near transition, Kirk looked shocked that I was back and had to run from the park building to transition to see me at the start of the run. That was kind of cool - I can tell I'm much stronger on the bike than I used to be! :)

Nothing - I think this was a great ride for me
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

I took a little extra time here today, wanted to make sure I had everything before the run. I bodyglided my arms, just in case, and grabbed by fuelbelt out of the cooler (yes, I brought a mini-cooler to keep my fuelbelt cold for the run - this turned out to be an EXCELLENT idea for such a hot race, I'll definately do it again).

I know - this should be under 1:00, but I don't really care right now. :)
Run
  • 1h 05m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Ate last clif block as I was exiting transition. First mile was about getting my breathing under control and I purposely didn't watch the time. The second mile felt great, I took 1/2 my gel at mile 1.5 doused myself with water at one point (cool fuelbelt water - excellent). Gave myself a little walk breat at the mile 2 water station, as my split was 9:00 - oops, I didn't mean to go that fast. Instead of realizing I should slow down, I thought - wow, I'm going to get a great run time (stupid, in hindsight. This was too fast, since I haven't made it through a run leg at the end of an Oly yet...).

About 2.5, I started to fade and took another quick walk break. After the 3 mile mark, I really started to go downhill again. I walked a LOT and kept watching the time slip away. I had another 1/2 gel here, but it didn't feel good to eat it, so this was then end of food for me. There was a really encouraging fellow racer who was helping me during this rough patch - VERY appreciated! I ran most of mile 4 - maybe I'll still be able to finish in time. At 5 miles, I knew I wasn't going to make 3:00 and I got really frustrated with myself. I struggled to keep running and walked A LOT for about .5 miles. I finally convinced myself to just freakin run, no matter how slow and ran the rest (I think). As I rounded the last turn I looked at my watch and realized I could still PR if I kept going - that was good. That stupid hill at the end about killed me, but I finished running up the hill.

I think I should have started out slower. I was really going off how I felt, but I probably pushed it too hard during the first 2 miles. Once I can make it through a race at a decent pace (running most of the way), then I can let myself run faster.

I think next time I'll also bring half water, half HEED in my fuelbelt next time?
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as I crossed the finish line I HAD to sit down and the nice little volunteer kid took my chip from me as I was sitting. He tried really hard to find me a gatorade, but they were out. I stood under the soaker hoses for a while and cooled down - that is such a great idea at the end of a hot race. I stretched and iced my leg just as a precaution.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim - I'm not sure what happened here.
Bike - Nothing
Run - Starting out too fast?

Event comments:

Good race - it's very well run EXCEPT they need more buoys. I've noticed this at several of their races now, they need about 1 more in each direction.

Last updated: 2007-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:52 | 1640 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 196/271
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Rectangular course - starting out swimming straight into the sun.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:11 | 24 miles | 18.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 211/12
Overall: 7/271
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Large circle course on local roads. Mostly rolling with 4 more significant climbs.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:05:20 | 06.21 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 221/271
Performance: Below average
I can't retrieve my lap data from my stupid watch
Course: Out and back, first mile shaded as you exit park, next 1.5 (or so) in the sun, next .5 or so in partial shade - then repeat in reverse.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: Festival of Flowers Triathlon

2007-06-11 9:34 AM
in reply to: #838640

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: Festival of Flowers Triathlon
Great job, Heather! Both times I saw you, you looked strong. Good job on your PR and you'll break your time goal very soon.
2007-06-11 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Great job, Heather. I like the idea about the cooler for the Fuel Belt. I bet it was nice to have the cold water with you on the run. It's too bad that the run wasn't as you planned, but it's a learning process and you'll know better for next time. Awesome bike time and don't forget that you set a new PR!!  That's really something to be proud of.

Edited by lawyerchick 2007-06-11 9:39 AM
2007-06-11 10:37 AM

By the way, you had a great race under the very warm conditions and are correct that more buoys are needed. Don't worry, I am confident that you will definitely break 3 hours (and then some for the Olympic Distance) in the very near future.

Thank you also for getting me a nice idea for the SC Half: small cooler with the cold drinks inside.

2007-06-11 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Nice job overcoming the negative thoughts and finishing strong.  Congrats on a great race
2007-06-11 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great race Heather! Congrats on a PR. You're so close to breaking 3 hours..you definitely have it in you. Just keep working on it and you'll eventually reach your goal.

2007-06-11 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job! you totally rocked the course!
2007-06-11 3:16 PM
in reply to: #839311

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Good job Heather! That was a nice bike ride. Good report.
2007-06-11 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Nice race. You are so close to 3:00:00... .5 walking def = 3 min. Great job on a really hot day. You keep getting stronger and are nowhere near peak.. so stay confident and keep pushing. You will get there.. and well beyond.
2007-06-11 3:33 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Good race! I think we spent more time going side to side in the chop than moving forward! Congratulations on your PR.

Pam
2007-06-11 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Awesome job Heather- your bike has improved greatly! Cant wait to see you do that sub 3:00 race in chattanooga! Congrats on the PR!

2007-06-12 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna
Congratulations on a great race, Heather!  That swim confusion sounds like it would have been awful!  You're improving terrifically and I know that you'll see sub-3:00 this season!
2007-06-12 12:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Congrats on another tri finish. You were so close to your time goal. I know you'll break that 3 hour mark in Chattanooga. You did a great job on the bike. Apparently all those hill repeats are worth something. The run will come together for you soon too. That hill they have at the finish line is cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me -- so awesome job keeping the feet going and running that.

2007-06-12 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Wow. Great bike times, girl! You were busting it out there. Congrats on the PR. You will break that 3 hour barrier soon. I can't wait to read the RR for that one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Festival of Flowers Triathlon Rss Feed