United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 29s
Overall Rank = 310/317
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, ate some oatmeal and a power bar on the way down to Albany. Got to Guilderland YMCA, got my number and markings, they had no directions to the lake, so a nice volunteer helped me and told me where to go. That was weird. Also, the race is in 2 places - it starts at Pine Bush lake (really a pretty mucky murky pond compared to Lk George,where I do my OWS) so I was pretty confident about the swim.
Event warmup:

Looked for Barbara, my trainer. She is a kick-butt athlete and an awesome trainer - thanks, Barbara, for getting me here!!! I just organized my stuff and hung around. The 40 to 44 year old women were in the first swim heat, and my heat, the 45 to 49 year olds, were in the second to last heat. It was very weird, and we were trying to figure it out. So I had to wait through 8 heats, and some of the women were shaking. I just stretched, tried to not panic looking at the clouds that were promising some lightning to spice things up. Luckily, it all blew over.
Was ready to start in the back, head out to the buoy, make a left and swim about another 275 yards in.
Swim
  • 10m 47s
  • 325 yards
  • 03m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was confident for the swim. 325 yards is my swim warm-up, before I get to the serious stuff. I started behind everyone, went the first 75 yards or so to the buoy very smoothly, was passing people, although I don't really remember it much. After I turned, and saw how far the end was, I guess I got nervous. I don't get nervous on my usual OWS, but I could not get enough breath to take three strokes, breath, three strokes. I tried to breath on every stroke, and it was tiring. I was now totally paranoid that I was going to have a heart attack in the water. I never panicked, I never thought I would drown, or needed help, but I did turn on my back for a minute. Then back to trying to relax, which I usually can do very nicely. Now the men from the 30 to 34 age group were catching up to us. One man hit me. I yelled at him, if I can avoid people, so can everyone else. I hate getting hurt. I considered holding him back, but figured I would get thrown out - (JUST KIDDING, OF COURSE) - so I let Mr. Speedy go.
At the last buoy, about 125 yards out, I said, "Stop being such a schmuck, and swim." BAM! I swam the rest of the way calmly and smoothly, breathing every left side at first, and then breathing every 3 strokes, reaching and pulling. I passed a lot at the end, but was a bit dizzy getting out of the water.

What would you do differently?:

I am not sure. I love the water, usually I feel like a dolphin, I haven't gotten nervous in my OWS since the first one. I think I need to swim out to a point, and then back in training. Since Lake George is so big with so many huge boats, I don't swim out and around. I stay in a roped off area, which is about 10 feet deep, but it is not the same. I swim circles or squares in there, so my endurance was not the issue - also, I finished really strong in the water. Maybe take a Xanax next time??? (KIDDING!!)
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

I have a mountain bike with skinny tires. I stumbled out of the water, gathered my senses together, and ran to my bike. I sat down on someone's tupperware container, (did not dent it, I promise) and carefully washed my feet, and put my socks on. As I was slow in the water, and in the second to last heat, I was like, Where is everybody? I was almost alone at this time.
Got on my bike and started pedaling. Think the Wicked Witch of the West's music: deet,deet,deet,deet,deet,dee, over and over. That was me on the bike. I was passed by about 5 people, passed no one. My chain fell off twice, had to stop to fix it. Rode the second half with a nice woman, I think we were almost the last ones on the bike course. It was actually fun, though; I have a fear of biking, and today helped alleviate that a LOT. I actually did not hit my brakes down one downhill. I am such a coward!!!!
At the end of the bike, my watch said 57 minutes, but they made up get off the bikes, and walk them all the way down this chute until we could find a place for them. We walked them about 200 yards at least. It was a real pain. I racked my bike, grabbed some water, and started the run, which started downhill.

Ride a road bike. Try to figure out why my chain fell off twice. Learn to fix my chain more quickly. It was actually not as bad as I had dreaded. I looked forward to the swim, and that surprised me and I was slow on the bike, but never afraid.
I was happy on the bike, smiling, thanking all of the volunteers. Some dudes on the road were cheering on us slowpokes and invited me back for a couple of beers. But my husband was waiting at home so I couldn't take them up on their offer. It was a good time!!!
Bike
  • 1h 02m 54s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 10.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike course, I was just not prepared for it as I should have been. Still, it was a very positive experience, I really enjoyed it, probably more than I should have. I found myself smiling and even laughing at the volunteers being silly and stuff.

I need to train on the bike, outside. Forget the inside Life Cycle stuff. I need to go on long rides, with other people. I need a road bike.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

The chute was packed with bikes so the last people had to take our bikes all the way down the chute. People were leaving via the chute, there were strollers being pushed, it was not easy. I stayed calm, walked my bike down for about 2 minutes, put my helmet on the bike, walked over to the water station, took a glass, poured one over my head, and started downhill. I was concerned about my knee, starting downhill, but I started very slowly, and it felt OK.

Nothing - it was out of my hands, really. Get there faster. :)
Run
  • 40m 48s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 12m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked/ran a bit in the downhill. Once I hit the flats, about 5 minutes in, my legs were killing me. My calves ached, were very tight. You know the feeling. I didn't think I could do it. I doubted. But then I said, "Nancy, you are tough, you can do this." So I did the best I could. I would walk one minute, run 5. I was alone, almost last, as we started in the 9th out of 10 heats. My legs felt better after about 10 minutes.

As I got to the halfway point, people were saying, "Almost halfway,' but I didn't believe them. I thought I would be back much further. At the 1/2 point, I had water, and had a wonderful young man spray my head with his hose. Thanks, Young Man!! You are awesome!! The run back I did a few minutes with another woman, and then she couldn't run anymore, so I left her. Around the final turn, then up the long hill. A lady said, "Almost there," and again, I didn't believe her, but I saw the sign. Barbara came down to cheer my on, the crowds were wonderful, I almost started to bawl, but thought how dreadful my photo would be, so I tried to smile. Barbara said to concentrate, one foot in front of the other, under the banner at the top of the hill, lots of cheering. I almost cried again, and I ran to the end, onto the second mat, and handed the chip in. Everyone told me I would not be able to stop smiling after my first triathlon, but really, I was overwhelmed. I quit smoking 3 years ago, and gained 35 pounds. Barbara has been helping me. I never thought I could do this. I am still just so grateful - thanks Barbara, thanks Whizzz, and all else here who halped me, gave me advice and encouragement.

I have plantar fasciitis, so I was not really disappointed in my run. I haven't been able to really run too much. Also, I have been taking it easy since I tore my ACL in February.

It must have been my state of mind, but the run was much less painful than I had figured it would be - it went by fast, and I was not too unhappy with it.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a hot dog. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Biking - my fear of the roads. This race helped with that.
Running - plantar fasciitis - I think I am going to get a shot of cortisone this week in my foot.
Swimming - keep plugging in Lake George, get my hubby to come with me by kayak so I can swim out and back.

Event comments:

Great volunteers, great police presence. Someone was down on the bike, I think it was his heart, as it didn't look like a bike crash, and they had a heart monitor hooked up and about 5 EMS people and firemen too. Police all along the route. Great race and thank you to all the volunteers!!!

Last updated: 2007-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:47 | 325 yards | 03m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 310/317
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Swim out to the buoy, make a left, and swim about another 275 yards to the end of the swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:02:54 | 11.5 miles | 10.97 mile/hr
Overall: 0/317
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Some rolling hills, gentle ups and downs, one good downhill - a great bike course!! REally fun! Would have been better if my chain hadn't fallen off repeatedly. I look forward to doing much better on it next year.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:48 | 03.25 miles | 12m 33s  min/mile
Overall: 0/317
Performance: Good
Course: Start with a downhill, rolling hills a bit, through a neighborhood, then back. Long uphill at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %HA!!!
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Pine Bush Triathlon

2007-07-15 2:15 PM
in reply to: #886441

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Pine Bush Triathlon

Edited by Whizzzzz 2007-07-15 2:15 PM
2007-07-15 2:19 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

OK, this thing got messed up the first time... I tried to post a fun congratulations, but the font and background and all that stuff went screwy on me...

ANYWAY, WHAT I MEANT TO SAY WAS:

CONGRATULATIONS, TRIATHLETE! Laughing

So, what's next on the docket? There's always something...  

Hooray for you! I'm so very very proud of you. You worked hard and reaped the rewards. Nice job!

2007-07-15 5:30 PM

User image

Master
brummie land
brilliant report triathlete!!!
2007-07-15 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Excellent showing. You had fun and learned some things. And can now call yourself a triathlete.
2007-07-16 4:21 AM
in reply to: #886454

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks, Whizzz!!! I am going to do the West Point Tri on August 19th - it is a sprint, but a little longer and the bike part is hillier. I am going to get a cortisone shot in my foot this week, also, because I just can't take the pain anymore.
Thanks for all of your help and encouragement - you have been great!

2007-07-16 4:22 AM
in reply to: #886613

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you so much - I appreciate you taking the time to respond!
Nancy
2007-07-16 4:23 AM
in reply to: #886894

User image

Extreme Veteran
I absolutely learned some things - especially that I need a lot more training!!! Thank you for all of your help and encouragement - you have been terrific!
Nancy
2007-07-16 8:54 AM

Great report and congratulations on finishing your first triathlon!! Enjoy the high!
2007-07-16 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Truly inspiring with a fantastic point of view! Well done Nancy, and welcome to the official triathlete club!
2007-07-17 7:07 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Awesome Job Triathlete!

You conquered more than the race course out there....super job!

OWS and ows racing can be so different but you used your mental strength to get thru it which is huge.

Overwhelmed is a cool emotion as you did something huge! Hopefully you have a spark like I did back when I first started that I could do this...now I am thinking I can do an Ironman...just think was 4 years may bring into your life?

Congrats on a great race! 

2007-07-17 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations-very inspiring!!!!
2007-07-17 4:55 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

yeah!  

happy bike shopping.  

2007-08-16 2:38 PM

User image

Congrats on your triathlon!!!

Nice race report, good luck at west point and yes I highly recomend Musselman.

It is really nice and I am seriously considering doing it again next year. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pine Bush Triathlon Rss Feed