Chattanooga, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic
Total Time = 3h 28m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 42/48
Pre-race routine:

Ate a couple of bananas and had a cup of coffee.
Mentally went over my goals in my head.
#1 have fun... this used to be do not drown since I thought, and still do, not drowning was the more important of the two. However, you can not have fun while drowning so I rolled the two goals into one.
#Concentrate on getting my breathing into a rhythm so that I did not struggle as I did at Peachtree.
#have fun...getting exercise is what this is all about to me.
Event warmup:

I did not do any warm-up. I did stretch a little. I figured I could warm-up during the first part of the swim. :)
Swim
  • 30m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since I had problems breathing in two of my five triathlons, I figured that I should start out very slowly and concentrate on my breathing. In the two that I had trouble, I started out too fast and got hyperventilated.

I like the time trial start. Peachtree had the same thing, but I had trouble breathing there. I think I have finally figured out what I need to do on the swim. I start out slowly and ONLY concentrate on my breathing. Do not think about keeping up or passing anyone around me. Once I start daydreaming about things that I won't mention here ;), I know that I have my breathing rhythm down. Then speed up. Simple, huh?

It worked great. I probably swam a little too fast for me. I was very tired when I got out of the water. My av HR was 160 which is very high for me on a swim. I have really concentrated on swimming that last year mainly because I did not want to drown. I am not very fast now, but I am an amazingly lot faster than I was when I started. I should give swim lessons. I am the poster child for swimming improvement.
What would you do differently?:

As I get more comfortable swimming in deep dark water where you are very hard to find if you are not breathing somewhere below the surface, I will start out a little faster. I can see that I can improve a lot more in the swim department. Although it may not sound like it when I talk to you guys, I have never been afraid of the water. I just have a healthy respect for it. I have a search and rescue certificate for Scuba Diving. I was on a drowning victim search team at one time although we never actually looked for anyone. They called us once, but by the time we got to the lake, they had found the guy using those big hooks. ooooh!
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

At this point I do not really worry about the transition times. I am not "racing" so it is not a big deal to me. I will work on them as I get faster.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 54s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I am not disappointed, but a bit surprised by my bike ride. I expected to be faster. I think the ride was 25.8 instead of 24.8, but that still does not account for my time. I was watching my heart rate monitor instead of speed and cadence so that could have had something to do with it. I do not really know. I had not done any exercise for seven days which was riding the gaps. It was really weird, but my sit bones/muscles were really sore when I got off the bike. It was like I had just started riding. They did not bother me after riding 100 miles, but this time I could hardly walk much less run when I got off the bike. I am sure that I looked very comical trying to walk/run. I could hardly walk. I had to fight off cramps again, but not as bad this time.

Push harder I guess.
Transition 2
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Same comments as T1. Although my transitions times are extremely slow compared to everyone else, I think that have improved a good bit. :)
Run
  • 1h 18m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I could hardly walk when I got off my bike, much less run. I have no idea what is up with that other than I had not ridden in a week, but I have done a lot of riding and long distances and hills before that. All I know is that I would have felt very sorry for someone who was moving the way I was when I got off my bike. :)

I think I may start running a bit. I am not promising anything, but my thoughts all along have been to work on my swimming so that I do not drown. I think that is very important. Ride bikes because I enjoy it and then work on my run when I felt average on the other two. I would say I am very average on the other two now, so I may (I said may) start working on jogging. Although I am VERY slow, I do not want to say that I did bad because I have not put any work in to do better yet.
Post race
Warm down:

I do not go fast enough to need warming down yet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training on the run. Maybe not tapering and taking a week off before the race even though it was partly because of work travel and partly because I was too lazy to workout while traveling.

Event comments:

I had a great time! I accomplished my lofty goals.
#1 I had a good time.
#2 I felt that I did a good job on getting my breathing rhythm down and not feeling that I may need to get pulled from the water or drown. I think I can improve my swimming a little more now.
#3 Same as number 1. I had a good time. I had a good time Saturday night eating with the gang. I had a good time doing the "race". I had a good time hanging out with everyone at the tent. I had a great time with Kraig, Courtney, Kirk, Heather, Leslie and her kids going to the wading pool afterwards to wash of the sweat. We looked like rednecks taking a bath, particularly since Courtney had a beer in her hand. :) I had good time going to the restaurant/brewery after the race to eat with the redneck gang. ;)

I want to thank Elena, the new Rebecca, Deb, Karen, Megan, Sal, Andrew, and both Jamie's for coming out and cheering us on and helping out.

Last updated: 2007-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:33:54 | 24.85 miles | 15.88 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: I kind of liked the course although I prefer a more technical course. The course was basically straight out and back on a limited access highway with the outside lanes closed off for bike riding. I like the hills, but I would have prefered a lot more turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:18:59 | 06.21 miles | 12m 43s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: I like the part that was flat and by the river. I did not like the stairs AT ALL. They made my legs cramp. It had a few hills before you got to the river and since it was an out and back course low and behold there they were on the way back. :)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-17 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2007-07-17 4:00 PM
in reply to: #889853

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
I bet if they had put in some 5-mile climbs with switchback descents you would have smoked the field.  I like that your main goal is to have fun.  I'm surprised by your soreness.  Maybe your rear is trying to tell you not to take a week off of riding.
2007-07-17 4:44 PM

User image

Regular
Hey great race!! Was a pretty hot day and a tough course!!!

I had a great time there too, looking forward to doing it next year and seeing if I can't improve a little.

Good job

John
2007-07-17 5:15 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
I think your training and results have come a long way.  You should be extremely proud of your results.  Great job!
2007-07-17 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Great job on Sunday!  You have an awesome additude!!  I think you should start running, not because you need to but b/c I bet you'll start to like it!  The redneck bath was seriously the best part of the whole race!  I wish we'd had a picture of that!!
2007-07-18 5:58 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
Isn't everyone supposed to drink beer during a group shower?

2007-07-18 2:56 PM

User image

awesome that you figured out your strategy on the swim.  great!  also, i think you may like running too!
2007-07-18 3:02 PM
in reply to: #891636

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

kateanderson - 2007-07-18 3:56 PM awesome that you figured out your strategy on the swim.  great!  also, i think you may like running too!

Yes, as of Sunday I feel ok with the swimming now.  Although I am very comfortable in the water really, it is still disconcerting to not be able to breathe in deep dark water with a few hundred people swimming by you which makes it difficult for anyone to see you if you can't get it worked out and start breathing properly. 

2007-07-18 3:04 PM
in reply to: #890644

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

FALLS-RUNNER - 2007-07-18 6:58 AM Isn't everyone supposed to drink beer during a group shower?

You are right!  But only country boys really understand the beer drinking group baths once a week or so. 

2007-07-18 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Great job Neal. 
2007-07-19 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Great job - you beat me on the swim again!! I love your attitude, I could learn a lot from you about being positive. I agree that the course was long, I am almost 100% sure we passes a 25 mile marker and I think my bike computer had us at almost 26.

I also agree with Courtney, if you start running you really will start liking it.

2007-07-19 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Neal, I love your attitude about racing too. I think we could all learn a little about taking things less seriously sometimes. Great job at this race!
2007-07-21 11:48 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Neal, your RR's crack me up...too funny...loved goal #1 and the "rollup" of having fun and not drowning...can't wait to do a race with a big group from NAMC...keep up the great work - you're a rock star!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed