Team Magic
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 43m 7s
Overall Rank = 373/1066
Age Group = 30-34 F
Age Group Rank = 10/55
Pre-race routine:

Got up (immediately noticing I just wasn't feeling 100% - stomach was off and muscles felt a bit tired), got dressed, cooked oatmeal, helped dress girls, fed the girls, lost the car keys, ate my oatmeal, packed up luggage, pushed the girls out of the hotel room and to car, unpacked just packed luggage to locate lost keys, repacked luggage and loaded car, and then set off to find Elena to hand of girls, and finally found my way into transition to rack my bike and get ready for race.
Event warmup:

Does lugging a tent across the street count as a warm-up... it wasn't heavy just ackward? Was trying to help set it up when I heard them call my bus, so I bailed on Elena and Mila and jumped on the bus.
Swim
  • 29m
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I just got in the water and started swimming. I kept expecting and thinking the swim would be as easy as last year, especially given all the swimming I've done in the last year, and it just wasn't. I knew I was off pace without even looking at my watch and got really sloppy towards the end of the swim. I was losing interest in the swim and the chop in the river wasn't really helping matters. I did a great job sighting and stayed on course. I did pass a decent amount of swimmers, but had just as many pass me. I feel I put a good effort in the swim for most of it and did have some fatigue in my arms after the race so I swam as well as I could on that day. I should have tried to stay focused towards the end rather than letting my mind keep comparing the situation to the year before. I was happy when I finally reached the dock and got pulled out of the water. I definitely didn't get pulled as high as I did last year, but the guys kept me clear of the dock and got me safely on my feet.

AG Rank: 26/55
Female Rank: 131/325
Overall Rank: 505/1073
What would you do differently?:

Stay focused and swim hard straight through the finish.

Pray that the current returns to the river in time for next year's race.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Didn't mess around too much here. Just got to bike rack and started putting on bike helmet and shoes and exited transition.

AG Rank: 7/55
Female Rank: 18/325
Overall Rank: 136/1073

I'm not ready to try mounting bike with shoes already clipped so I can't think of much to change right now.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 10s
  • 25.8 miles
  • 18.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I loved the bike course and think if I was feeling better and had more rested legs, I could have really done some damage on that course. I have never been afraid to climb hills and actual enjoy doing it, although I still need to gain strength so I can be more competitive on hilly courses. This wasn't a technical course because it required very little turning and cornering so I really, really enjoyed being out on the highway. I did panic a bit on one downhill and grabbed for my brakes but I did well with the other downhills. I ran out of gears on one downhill and was forced to coast when I was ready to try and keep powering it to gain some more speed, but I'm still enjoying the switch I made in my cassette earlier this year. I passed Kate on the ride and wished her well, and then passed Brian and chatted with him for a few seconds - hopefully keeping it legal because the race refs were right there. I would have liked to try and catch Courtney and Steve who I saw near the turn-around but legs just weren't feeling it that day. Nutrition and fluids went well on the course, but my unsettled stomach from the antibiotics I'm on were making it a little difficult to get the stuff down. After I saw the mile 25 sign, I started getting my feet out of my shoes, which required me to coast a bit, and prepared for my first flying dismount in a race. I executed it flawlessly and passed a guy right at the dismount line because he was trying to unclip while I was already running with my bike to transition. I really enjoyed that.

AG Rank: 17/55
Female Rank: 98/325
Overall Rank: 552/1073

Get a new bike saddle so I'm not constantly shifting my position.

Avoid being on antibiotics during a race.

Gain some more strength on the bike so I can be more competitive in my age group.

Taper going into an Olympic distance race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

The flying dismount definitely saved me some time in T2, but I opted to put on socks for the run so I probably lost a bit of time on that, but overall it was another efficient transition.

AG Rank: 3/55
Female Rank: 15/325
Overall Rank: 70/1070

Go sockless, but when you come in with the 70th fastest transition out of 1070 it's kinda hard to be too critical. :)
Run
  • 49m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt fatigued on the bike and that continued on to the run course. I was having issues with my stomach most of the bike and that also continued on to the run course, but I was determined to avoid stopping for a potty break. I didn't want to repeat last year's dismal run performance. I definitely wasn't pushing the run as I hard as I could, but I enjoyed the course and spent the entire 6.2 miles shouting at as many other runners as I could. I had one guy tell me that if I had that enough energy to be shouting I wasn't running hard enough. I sort of agreed, but told the guy that I was just out for a stroll. His reply to that was "unfortunately your stroll is faster than my run." All the talking kept me from over-thinking the run (and race) and just kept me moving forward. I put in a good effort on the run. I don't feel it was my best effort, but given the day and course I was happy to be out there and running the way I was.

AG Rank: 9/55
Female Rank: 43/324
Overall Rank: 252/1066

Again, taper going into an Olympic distance race so my legs are fresher and less fatigued.

Again, avoid antibiotics.

Run harder because I know I have the legs and lungs to do it.
Post race
Warm down:

Made my way over to the NAMC tent to chat with the crew and relieve everyone of their childcare duties. I didn't have the stomach or patience to wait in the food and beverage line and definitely started feeling that decision a bit later. I took the girls over to the "Redneck Bath" and the three of us (along with Kraig, Courtney, Neal, Kirk and Heather) enjoyed the cool water for a bit before packing up the car and heading home.

My final time put me in the top 33%, so that qualifies me for age group nationals. Qualifying, and attending age group nationals, has never been a goal but it's great to know I'm earning the spot if I ever want it.
AG Rank: 10/55
Female Rank: 68/324
Overall Rank: 373/1066

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of taper and body fatigue.

I'm attributing the stomach upset to the antibiotics because I haven't experienced such issues before.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race. The race organization was good. The late start was not the fault of the race, but the police, so I won't be holding that against the race. I couldn't have asked for much better weather given how miserably hot it was there last year. Temps this year were definitely cooler and the overcast skies through the bike course definitely helped me stayed focused on things besides the heat. This course was not easy, but I really enjoyed it and will likely put it on my race calendar again in the future.

Last updated: 2007-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:00 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 26/55
Overall: 505/1066
Performance: Average
Suit: Goody Tri Top and Sugoi Tri Shorts
Course: Point to Point swim straight down the "mighty" Tennessee.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:23:10 | 25.8 miles | 18.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/55
Overall: 552/1066
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The 2007 bike course leaves the transition left onto Riverfront Parkway, left onto ML King, onto Hwy 27 North, turnaround just before Hwy 153, exit Hwy 27 onto ML King, right on ML King, right on Riverside/Riverfront, end at Transition at Ross Landing Park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:06 | 06.21 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/55
Overall: 252/1066
Performance: Average
Course: Runners exit the transition lawn on the east side, onto Chestnut Street. The course goes North on Chestnut, taking a quick right onto Riverfront Parkway. At the top of the hill, angle left onto the Veterans Bridge exit ramp. Cross under the High Street overpass. Immediately after crossing under the Riverwalk bridge, turn left, up the steps. Continue bending to the left onto the Riverwalk and across the bridge that you just passed under. After crossing Veterans Bridge / Georgia Avenue, turn left onto the first access sidewalk on your left, then a quick right onto Battery Place. Stay on Battery Place until the bottom of the hill (at Mabel) where you get back on the Riverwalk proper. From this point, the course follows the Riverwalk. The 5k turnaround is located roughly 3/10 mile past the Curtain Pole parking area and bathroom.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-17 9:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2007-07-18 5:55 AM
in reply to: #890448

User image

Expert
BFE
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Great Job Leslie!
2007-07-18 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
Great race!  Qualifying for age group nationals may not have been a goal of yours but I think it's awesome.
2007-07-18 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great race Leslie. Despite your issues you really pushed through and had impressive times for all 3 events. Does swimming ever get easier?   Congrats on qualifying for nationals..8th in your AG is pretty awesome given the competition at this race.
2007-07-18 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great race on tired legs.  Now can you teach me the flying dismount.  I keep fumbling it!!!
2007-07-18 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Nice race Les.. you are really realizing your running potential, and that has me worried. When will be the first race you beat me on the run?? Probably not this year, so don't get your hopes up.

Keep doing what you are doing, and you will be competing for your age group at these bigger races in no time.. maybe next year is the year.

Edited by atl_runner 2007-07-18 10:58 AM

2007-07-18 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Great race!! You seem to keep improving with each race with no end in sight - I can't wait until you beat Ron (he better watch out!)!

Congrats on qualifying for nationals too, even without trying! Amazing girl!

2007-07-18 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Great race.  I enjoyed the Ugly Duckling post race too.
2007-07-19 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Great race and congrats on qualifying for nationals!
2007-07-19 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great job at this race. I know it's hard to race as well as you'd like when your legs aren't fresh or your stomach isn't cooperating, great job pushing through. Congrats on qualifying for AG nationals, if you decide to go I know you'd do awesome.
2007-07-19 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Great job on the race.  Congratulations on qualifying for the nationals. 

2007-07-21 11:55 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great race and RR, Leslie - especially under the conditions.  Sorry you weren't feeling 100% and really impressed with your results, including qual. for AG Nationals.  Great job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed