General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Evergreen Lake International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hudson, Illinois
United States
Tri-Mom Events, LLC
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 51s
Overall Rank = 205/310
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/40
Pre-race routine:

Camped out the night before at the park. Got up and started the coffee, ate a blueberry muffin, banana, breakfast bar, and drank a cup of coffee.

Pumped up tires, removed the XLAB (bottle holder) from the seat since I wouldn't need a gallon of water for the ride. Set up my bike on the end of the first rack off the swim entrance. Laid out a towel, shoes, and the rest of my gear.

I'll preface the whole race here: My brother (WSM9363) came over from Ohio to do this race. We raced twice last year (a sprint tri and a 5-mile road race). He's gotten lots faster this year (he did a tough OLY a couple weeks ago, and ran a 25 minute 5K this week) and I figured my reign was about to end.
Event warmup:

Walked around, swam 300 yards or so then waited for the waves to start.

Air temp was <60F at the start of the race (chilly, but I'll take that over a 90F run any day!
Swim
  • 35m 15s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started at the back of the wave, but near the inside. We were starting on the boat launch between two docks. I let the wave get a 5-10 second head start, then started swimming. Nice rotation, bi-lateral breathing he whole time, felt good the entire time. Swam into the first corner bouy, but did a good job sighting/navigating the first two legs. Almost cut the second bouy (saw the crowd swimming the third leg and headed that direction before I realized the bouy was to my right. Navigation fell apart somewhere in the second/third leg. I swam inside one of the small marker bouys (not a problem) then promptly swam across the course to a kayak on the other side. Spent more time on the third/fourth legs sighting and came up right between the docks. Drafting was typical non-existent for me. Swam until my fingers dragged the ramp. Stood up and took off goggles/cap as I walked up the ramp to T1. The walk was about 200 yards across asphalt and grass. They put mats down across the gravel (THANKS!!). I wasn't wearing my HRM or a watch, so I had no idea of time the whole race.
What would you do differently?:

35 minutes seemed long, but I was going at a steady pace and walked up to T1. No complaints. Probably need a little more time with speed-work in the pool.

I rated it good, because navigation was far better than other swims and I felt great coming out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

No wetsuit to deal with, and I swam in a tri-jersey, so it was dry off my feet, jam on my bike shoes, helmet, sunglasses, stuff a hanky and jels in my pocket and go. (It did seem to take a long time, and I kept thinking "move it along"). Walked my bike through transition and past the mount/dismount line. Nearly fell trying to get my foot over the bike.

Move it along. (Maybe leave the reading materials for after the race???) Nothing went wrong, but elapsed time shows the deliberate pace.

Probably one of the slowest transitions in my life.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 1s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Went off-road twice in the first mile. Completely missed the left turn coming out of the park and ended up about 10 feet over in the grass. All I kept thinking right then was "don't do anything sudden..." and I was able to get it back on the asphalt. One of the other riders told me I needed a mountain bike for that kind of sh!t. About 50 yards later, I drifted off the pavement into the gravel and was able to get back on the road without loss of blood. Decided then that I needed to pay a lot more attention to my position and the road, and set up turn lines well in advance.

Ate a gel about 10-15 minutes into the ride and another about 50 minutes into it. Sipped water the rest of the time (finished about 20 oz of my 24 oz bottle).

Most of the ride as pass a few people, get passed by a few people. I saw onother local triathlete blast by (I saw a Tri-Peoria top and a tatoo on the small of her back. Those two, plus the bike pace narrowed the choices considerably.) Passed the aid station without taking anything and tried to keep my cadence up the whole ride. Tried to thank the volunteers and spectators who where out there on a chilly morning.

This was my first race using a tri-jersey. Other times, I've put a (dry) shirt on in T1. Blasting along the bike route at 20 mph (editorial: rounding up) in a wet shirt at 60-70F took a lot of heat out of me. I was a little chilled and my feet were still numb at the end of the ride. I got a little chafing on my nipples (which turned into a lot on the run).

I was really working for a 20 mph bike split and just missed it (19.8), but I felt good heart/legs-wise the whole ride.

Besides stay on the road??
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Didn't try to get fancy with riding on my shoes or anything since this is my only race this year. Screeched to a halt at the dismount line while a fellow cyclist fell over. Walked the bike through transition to help regain land-legs.

Racked my bike, took off the helmet. Put on my running hat and race belt, then took off the bike shoes. Pulled my half-rolled footies onto my feet and my running shoes. I don't have YANKZ, but I do have the curly elastic laces, so I just gave them a tug. Grabbed a third gel (just in case) and headed out for my favorite part of the race.

This took a while, but again, I was being deliberate. The socks are important, so get them right in T2 rather than have them become a problem during the run.

Again, one of my slowest T2's. Nothing went wrong, just slow.
Run
  • 57m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I was about 150 yards into the run when I saw WSM9363 come in on the bike. Yikes!! I've only got the T2 time on him...he's gonna run me down...My legs were cooperative, so I just kept running at a steady pace. Turned out of the park, and headed up the road. Passed by the first aid station without getting anything. Made the turn and grabbed a water at the second station. Passed by another Tri-Peoria person wearing a Cat-in-the-Hat outfit (walking). Hit the 2-mile sign and guessed that the first mile was the aid station. Got to the turn-around and started looking for WSM9363. (I'd figured he'd run me down by the 3-mile mark.) Saw him, but didn't know how far behind he was (a couple of minutes, but I couldn't tell whether he was gaining on me). Passed another Tri-P guy and then the 3-mile mark. Grabbed a gatorade at the fourth drink opportunity (where we rejoined the main road). A Tri-P lady passed me leading up to the last turn-around, we both got water. She stopped to stretch, then passed me again. I told her I was looking out for my brother who was coming towards us at that time. I was counting paces past the 4-mile mark (about 125 paces) til we met, but I wasn't sure how far the mark was from the turn-around (200 yards??) so I still couldn't really tell whether he was gaining on me or not. Grabbed another water at the 5-mile station and started to feel confident that I could outrun him in a sprint to the end (since he would have been working hard to catch me already). Hit the turn to the park and SHADE!! Glorious shade! I kind of wanted to linger in each shadow for a few seconds. The weather was great for me, but I'd now been in the sun for a couple of hours. I don't recall whether I got passed by anyone once I got into the park, but decided to challenge anyone trying to pass in the last 0.2 miles (we were pretty spread-out). BAMBAM66 said I looked good at the end of the run (she says this every race, but I could believe her this time).

Got a lot more chafing during the run. Ouch!!

Ran the entire course (other than walking a few steps while drinking).

I wouldn't want to do anything different. Helps to know someone is chasing me. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have run this fast if WSM9363 hadn't been behind me.
Post race
Warm down:

Leaned over to take off my timing chip. Grabbed a water and Powerade. Headed back through transition to the run course to cheer for WSM9363 finishing. Walked around a lot, finally hit the bathroom (had the urge most of the bike ride). Grabbed some food and ate lunch with my niece/nephews. Put my bike and stuff in the car and headed up the run course to find my "walking buddy" who was still on the course. Cheered his son in, and walked up about half-way through the park until I met up with my buddy. We walked to the final turn and he jogged in to the finish. We hung around for a few more finishers and the awards. My buddy's son got 2nd (out of two) in his AG, and was surprised when his name was called. Both had huge smiles at the finish line. (They've got custody of my old road bike right now.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leisurely transitions. Not nearly as much bike training as last year. Probably went easier on the bike which left me in great shape for the run.

Weather for this race was just about P-E-R-F-E-C-T for me, unlike other races where I've wilted in the mid-day heat.

I ran the entire 10K, which was good for me.

Event comments:

This was the second year for this race. The RD runs a sprint in June that sells out in 1 day with a lot of out-of-town interest. I know why now!

Last updated: 2007-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:15 | 1640 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/310
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Kite shaped swim, counter clockwise from the boad launch. (IMO, it was a long swim course based on my time. Others were saying the same thing.)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:01 | 24.85 miles | 19.88 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Meandering loop around the edge of the lake and through corn and soybean fields. No major hills and a light wind, so it was big-ring most of the time.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:57:16 | 06.21 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Think of it as a dead-tree out and back. After a first right turn out of the park, we ran along a county road. Turned left at another road and ran to a turn-around and back, then along the first road to another turn-around. Straight back to the park. Only shade was in the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 9:40 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon

2007-07-22 1:23 PM
in reply to: #895732

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: RE: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon

Just thought I'd tell you how proud I am of you!!!

xoxoxoxo

2007-07-22 2:16 PM
in reply to: #895840

Regular
BAMBAM66 - 2007-07-22 2:23 PM

Just thought I'd tell you how proud I am of you!!!

xoxoxoxo

Yeah! Me too! But I'm gonna keep my XOXOXO's to myself thanks!

Great job! I knew I chose a great mentor that would show me how it's done!

Whoo Hoo!!

2007-07-22 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Nice race. It was a great day for the event.
2007-07-23 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Yeah! Congrats on the hard fought victory-sounds like you had some tough competition Really nice race. I'm very impressed with your times. Your bike split was awesome! Great job!!! Now don't you want to sign up for another one this year?  
2007-07-23 11:32 AM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY
Nice race!  Less than 60F and then getting on a bike with wet clothes would be quite chilly...

2007-07-23 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Hey, way to put the smack down on WSM9363! From the sound of it, that guy's a machine!
Solid race, all the way through.

Have you considered using electrical tape to tape gels to your bike. I did that for Racine and it worked brilliantly-- in fact, I had six all lined up on my top tube. You just tape the top part that rips away right at the tear line. That way, you actually tear the gel open as you tear it off the bar and you don't have to worry about the top-- it just stays stuck to your top tube!

Congrats again on a great race!
2007-07-23 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Niiiiiiiiiiiice Race!!!!  I was really pulling for the Ohio contingent though!  LOL!  Seriously though, I would just be ecstatic to be racing with a family member in the same race.  That had to be so cool!  Loved the RR!!!!
2007-07-26 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Good job on the race, since I don't know that I said that before.  I am sure that you will find some way to race in 2008, if only a short race.  I know that hiking is different than training for tris.

Plus I am sure you don't want to give me a year of racing up on you.  You know that unlike most things, not racing means the title gets passed on.  Sort of like the heavy weight fights, if you don't fight then you lose the belt.  Course NEXT year I'll be in a new AG, but that makes it that much more fun.

2007-07-26 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Hey Mike!  Nice race.  Next time stay on the road man!  I was squirming in my chair reading that.  I am sooooo afraid of road rash - been there done that.  Way to stay positive and focused on the road.  My hat's off to you!
2007-07-26 1:32 PM

User image

over a barrier
Great RR....but stay on the road man!

I use dot band-aids under my jersey to prevent the nip chaffing....

2007-07-26 6:23 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Nice race. 

I'll give you that manly "hand shake chest bump kind of hug" but no kisses from me.

2007-07-26 10:41 PM

New user

Hey McFuzz. Nice race report. You kicked my butt on the bike. I found the course pretty hilly and windy (coming from Chicago that's not hard). But it was a great race and REALLY well organized. I'll do it again next year.

Happy training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed