5430 Sports Corp.
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 36s
Overall Rank = 36/1415
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/182
Pre-race routine:

Didn't happen. So yesterday before the race I realized that the disc I had borrowed for the last two races had a bald spot on the tire (probably from me skidding into T1, though I don't really remember it). After pre-riding the course with my training wheel, I got home and started cleaning up and working on my bike. Put the Zipps on and realized that the chain was skipping like mad in the 53x11. Pulled out all the tools and worked on the bike for about 2 hours, but couldn't fix it. Shit. Went to the race this morning, and spent from 5:30 am until 6:30 am having 3 different mechanics look at it. They didn't get it figured out either.
Event warmup:

See above. None. By the time I got into T1 and barely made it out before transition closed, I had enough time for a 10 minute run, stop in the bathroom, and straight to the start without a swim warm-up. After laying bed awake last night worrying about a bunch of random work and personal stuff, sleeping for about 3 hours, and hitting the road at 4 am, this was not a good start to the day.
Swim
  • 24m 8s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

I thought the swim felt great, but my time doesn't really reflect it. I was shooting for 22 even coming out of the water, and stood up to see my watch at 23:08. Shit. I probably felt so good in the water because I wasn't pushing hard enough.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder, I guess, but I'm baffled by this swim. I felt strong and smooth and thought I drafted well. Confused at how this is a worse swim than Nationals and the Peak last year.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Another disaster with the Rudy helmet. God damn ear flap fell off again when I was trying to put it on. I did this at home 20 times and it went perfectly smoothly. Race day, comes off. Took the helmet back off to get the other earflap off, put it back on, finally got my ass in gear. Then when I started riding, my left foot mashed the back of the shoe down and it took me a solid 1/2 mile to get my foot in and going.

Everything.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 10s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 23.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming off the swim, I wanted to try to make time on the bike, which was a bad decision under the circumstances. It was hotter than hell out on course, I was essentially riding a 12/23 cogstack, and I was flustered from a shit morning and a bad start out of T1. So I hammered away at the bike course, thinking I could get back that minute I missed on the swim, and do a 1:06 bike split to hold on to my goal time. Not only did I miss my actual goal, I toasted my legs for the run.

Everything.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Better transition here, especially considering that my bike almost literally couldn't have been further away from the bike entrance. Good start to what would end up being a ridiculously long run.

Nothing
Run
  • 45m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugggh. First mile was okay pace-wise at 6:40. But even there I could feel my stomach turning in the heat, and I was quickly developing a nasty side cramp. So at the beginning of the second mile I decided to sacrifice 10 seconds and try to walk it out to let my gut settle. Problem was that my gut didn't settle, the cramp didn't go away, and I never found that sub-7 pace again. Worst 10K for me maybe ever, and about as bad as I've felt running since the half last year. Just absolutely aweful, no other way to say it. Drafted Dills for a while and got a pathetic little kick going to the line, but it was too little too late.

Everything.
Post race
Warm down:

Sit in the res, shower, pound water like it was going out of style, eat, hit the Pancake House for what must have been a 3000 calorie meal (best part of the whole day).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Everything. This race was just a debacle start to finish. I'm stressed and tired, didn't get enough sleep, bike was jacked up, didn't warm up, toed the line stressed out and not at all ready to go, didn't drink enough, hammered the bike course too hard, didn't manage the heat well at all, didn't pace worth a damn anywhere, and just generally had a bad day.

Having said that, the results demonstrate that everyone was struggling out there, so I feel a little better. I've never raced in heat like that and learned a huge lesson today. I still love racing in Boulder, and I can't really complain about spending a Sunday out racing. I still PR'd here too. And my baby girl got to see me race a triathlon for the first time. Oh yeah, and the meal at the Pancake House after the race kicked ass.

I guess I should say too, just so I don't sound like a delusional idiot, that my training and events over the last month or so probably dictated a mediocre result in this race. I absolutely trashed my legs last weekend between Triple and a 10 miler on Sunday. Training has been less than ideal over the last six weeks. Taper this week was pretty mediocre and this race was not a high priority. In short, I knew there was a chance this race would suck, I'm just disappointed that I didn't read the signs and adjust accordingly to better manage the course and the heat and set some more reasonable goals.

Event comments:

The shirts for the Boulder series this year suck. I mean really, light blue for the sprint and green and blue for the Peak. That's just lame. They better make up for it at the half.

Last updated: 2007-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:08 | 1500 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/182
Overall: 111/1415
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleevless
Course: Open rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:07:10 | 26.1 miles | 23.32 mile/hr
Overall: 47/1415
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:25 | 06.21 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 165/1415
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2007-07-22 8:25 PM
in reply to: #896107

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon
Considering all the pre race stuff, 8th place in this age group is something to be very proud of.  You had a great race.  I agree, the shirts are crap!  Hope it's not this hot for the Long Course.
2007-07-22 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Denver
With everyting that went wrong and with the huge weekend last week 8th place is pretty incredible. Its got to be a boost to know everything can go wrong and you can still be at the top of the field, but I don't think I talked to a single person who didn't struggle today.
2007-07-23 7:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Hi Adam - You did really well considering all the lead up issued and issues suring the race. Awesome job getting top 10 in your AG. Must admit when looking at your log and seeing the run time I thought something was up, but sounds like it was hotter than hell so makes sense your run is going to suffer. Man I still can't believe how fast you ride!!!

Way to hang in there despite a cr*p day!!!

2007-07-23 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA

Adam,

Still a very inspiring race to all of us regardless of all of the pre race and actual race let downs. Seeing the just under 24mph on the bike definitely shows how toasted your legs were for the run. Glad to hear you at least enjoyed the pancake house afterwards!

2007-07-23 8:39 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
Sounds like you had a rough day too.  That heat killed me on the run.  You actually placed really well in your AG though.  Great job out there!

2007-07-23 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
I gotta agree w/ everyone else.  Considering all the crap leading up to the race, a top 10 finish is great! 
2007-07-23 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Hmmmm...  Sounds like the only difference between our races was that I didn't stress because I really didn't care and that I didn't hammer the bike.  It DIDN'T pay off on the run, so don't think that taking it a tad easier on the bike might have saved your run.  All in all I think you still kicked a$$ over last year's time and given the circumstances - CHEER up.  You sound like a me - a b!tching, moaning female  

Seriously I think it was a decent race for you.  I wish I would have caught you, Yvonne and the babe after the race though!

Edited by juliapurr 2007-07-23 2:37 PM
2007-07-23 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

I looked for you and the fam after the race, but considering how long it took me to finish, you were probably at home in the shower by that time!

Despite not reaching your goals, you got freaking 8th place! Think back 2 years.......Remember how you were racing then? Yeah, that's what I thought. You kicked a$$.

2007-07-23 11:05 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
All that pre-race stress really sucks and it's tough to race when you're not focused on what you need to do. That said, top 10 at Boulder is always good and you know what needs to happen to make the Long Course a success. One other thing - I don't think you need to set more reasonable goals; it's not your style. Keep the goals aggressive, figure out why you didn't hit them and make adjustments for next time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed