General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1/2 Iron Man - What Did You Learn Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-08-13 9:02 PM
in reply to: #913517

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: 1/2 Iron Man - What Did You Learn

I learned to pee while biking.

Also, nailing nutrition kept me strong throughout.  I trained with 2 scoop Perp bottles on every long ride and bike brick.  Used endurolytes, water and Hammer Gel for the past two months during runs and brick runs.  Didn't change a thing for the race and never had a GI nor a bonk issue.

I learned not to be scared of the distance if I'm properly prepared.  It's OK to respect the distance, prepare for it, but don't be afraid to let it rip come race day.  I stayed in LSD pace too long.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=86259

2007-08-14 6:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
this is a great thread. Thank you!! I have my first Half on Sunday. there's nothing like good advice from other's experiences. 
2007-08-14 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Did my first HIM in May, getting ready for #2 in October. I'm going to deviate a bit from the consensus on nutrition because what I learned is that sometimes the plan is not  right for the day. I had trained to consume 1 Clif bar, 1 bottle of Endurox, and up to 3 gels on the ride and then Gatorade and 2 or 3 gels on the run. Gulf Coast was hot...hotter than what I had trained in. I only ate part of the Clif bar, finished the Endurox, only had 2 gels on the bike. On the run, I knew my stomach was not going to tolerate the gels, so I just made sure I got Gatorade at every aid station, and I was fine. I was plenty fueled for the time I was out on the course, I never bonked...in fact, despite the heat, I felt pretty darn good. I think we often get too wrapped around the axle with "nutrition" that we might overdo it sometimes. There appears to be fine lines between not enough, just right, and too much; however, I think it's easier to go overboard. Most of us have enough energy stores to get us through much longer distances/times than we think (I believe). But if we eat too much, we're asking our body to do too much: digest food while exerting a lot of effort on the ride and/or run at the same time. Something is going to suffer, and usually it's our stomachs. Anyway, my thoughts, for what they're worth. (Note: while I've only done 1 HIM, I've done lots of other races, including marathons and challenging trail runs, ranging from 3 hours to nearly 6 hours, so I am speaking from some experience, although perhaps a slightly different perspective.)

And one other thought: train for the race mentally as well as physically. You need to know you can handle the tough days as well as the easy days. My coach had me do triple bricks while training, which consisted of ride/run/ride/run/ride/run sequences. The reason...to get my head ready for when it really sucks (because it really sucked getting on that bike fora 3rd time and then putting on the running shoes yet again).

2007-08-14 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
And one other thought: train for the race mentally as well as physically. You need to know you can handle the tough days as well as the easy days. My coach had me do triple bricks while training, which consisted of ride/run/ride/run/ride/run sequences. The reason...to get my head ready for when it really sucks (because it really sucked getting on that bike fora 3rd time and then putting on the running shoes yet again).

WOAH! I'm glad I don't have YOUR coach!

I have to agree with the mental training... my coach has me doing more than the distances for the HIM. The theory I think is this... if I ride 75 mile rides every weekend, what's a 56 mile bike ride? Nothing.

There are days when I have a horrible day of training. The heat has been KILLING my running lately... I get tired... have to walk and I get side cramps. It's been miserable. But I finish every mile, even if I walk. I might have a bad day during my HIM... and I can pull mentally from my bad training days... if I did it then when I was miserable and in pain... I can do it out on the course.
2007-08-14 9:05 AM

Veteran
Texas
I'd be interested too in hearing anyone's feedback on the BT beginner HIM training program?  Starting it Monday.
2007-08-14 9:46 AM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO

I loosely used the BT beginner HIM program and felt it worked really well for me. 

I also learned that something new can and will happen to you in a race so be prepared for anything and be flexible.

2007-08-15 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

I did my first 1/2 IM in 2005. I was so naive. I really thought that after doing tris for two seasons I was ready. Well, I was no where near ready. But I did it anyway. It took me something like 9 hours. I know pathetic but I was about 220 at the time after coming down from 240. My nutrition plan was non-existent. Just gatorade and some gels. Which suited me fine. I had nothing left on the run because I was sooo horrible on the bike. And horrible on the run. I really ended up walking it. (Still I got a 1st place award for the Athena division - go figure!) Here's the RR:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26977

Now two years later I'm doing the same race again. It's weird but I know more fit than when I did it last time. But I'm not as confident yet. Maybe because now I realize what I'm really in for. There's no naivetee anymore. I actually know what it takes to finish and HIM and what it takes to "race," one. I want to "race," it this year.  I'm curious to see how I do. If I actually make my bike time goal (3:30) and my run time (2:45)  goal. This year I will:

• actually race - not just compete to complete but compete to reach my goals.
  • actually plan - have a food plan that really works for me based upon training.
  • actually have fun.

I know people have said don't race to beat the clock but I'm really tired of just entering races. This year I've actually been "racing," as in pushing myself beyond what's normal. And it's been working out well. I'm fitter and I hope to prove that I'm faster.

2007-08-15 8:16 PM
in reply to: #924984

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

scfsara - 2007-08-14 6:05 AM I'd be interested too in hearing anyone's feedback on the BT beginner HIM training program?  Starting it Monday.

I used the B/T HIM plan and it worked well for me.  I had a pretty consistent base going in, but all in all the plan worked, and was doable with a hectic career and family.

2007-08-15 8:34 PM
in reply to: #913545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
firstnet911 - 2007-08-04 5:16 PM

I learned the hard way that nutrition and hydration are critical in the longer races. I mismanaged mine and completely blew up on the run.
While it was a huge disappointment at the time, it turned out to be the best learning experience I've had.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=81087

I would agree.... I made 2 out of 3 time goals in my HIM.... I did not have enough fuel for run. Being my first attempt I am respectful of the distance and learned a great deal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1/2 Iron Man - What Did You Learn Rss Feed  

of 2