Racing Underground
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 40m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

OK, so I have been training for this race since November. I officially signed up for it in the spring, I think. Nothing else has been on my mind more than this 1/2 Ironman. I mean what was I thinking? I hadn't even done an Olympic yet and I signed up for a 1/2IM? Why did I do that? Partly because I thought training for an 1/2 would help me lose more weight. (Not true). Other part of me wanted to say, "Hey, I've done a 1/2 IM." OK, to be honest it was more of the latter. I really wanted to be in that club. So I did. The week before was the busiest week of the year. I had NO TIME to even think about the race. I barely worked out at all and I was afraid my tapering was a little too relaxing. But I finally got up to Aurora on Saturday afternoon. Checked into my usual hotel, and then went and bought new running shoes. (No I didn't wear them in the race, which despite local lore I think was a BIG mistake). Then went to see the 40-year-old Virgin. Hilarious. Ate pasta and meatsauce (not very good) and then preceeded to have heart burn the rest of the night. Ughhhh. Tossed and turned in my hotel bed and finally drifted off to sleep. My stupid alarm clock went off at like 2 a.m.. WTF? Finally got back to sleep. Slept until 5 a.m.. and was raring to go. Made my nutrition concoctions loaded the car and headed out the door. Ate a toasted bagel with jelly, yogurt and two bannas. Mmmmm.
Event warmup:

Got to the reservoir and had to park in BFE. I spent most of my transition ready time hauling my stuff back and forth from the car to T1. By the time I had set up I was 10 minutes from race time. My T1 wasn't as organized as I would have liked. I had enough food to feed a Gutemalan family. And I had enough clothes to outfit a football team - two pairs of bike shorts just in case, poncho for rain, two pairs of shoes WTF??? it was crazy. I was so overprepared and so anxious about this race. My T1 was a diaster area. I was rushing so much trying to set everything up that I forgot I had my keys in my back pocket. (More on that later) Needless to say my T1 looked like some girl on crack set it up. Weird. Met up with two girls from my tri club and talked to them. We racked out bikes together and all was good. It was cold. I had enough time to don the wetsuit and get in for a swim.
Swim
  • 45m
  • 1939 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was awesome. I didn't go as fast as I wanted but I didn't stop either, not once. I had a horrible time navigating cause we were swimming directly into the sun but I could see the bobbing heads in front of me and the kayaks to the corner of my eye. I was off course a few times and spent a couple of times swimming across the lake instead of toward shore but I did well. No problems, no fatigue. Felt really good and my arms were doing well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This was a complete disaster. As previously explained my T1 was like a tornado area. Running toward T1 was quite comical as I kept falling cause I was so dizzy. Trying to put on my socks was another joke as I almost plunged head first into the bike rack. Finally I sat down on a friend's cooler and got my barings. I was rushing so much to get out on my bike that I forgot my Electrolyte caps. But I got my nutrition, cold camelback (thanks to the cooler I bought) my two water bottles and three trail nut mix bars. My friend Beth showed me a trick where she tapes her gel to her bike. I did that and it worked beautifully. You just reach down there and tear off and keep humping. NO reach around. Perfect. Went to put my food in my back pocket and that's when I noticed my freakin' car keys. Ugggggh. I had swam more than a mile with my freakin' car keys in my pocket. Geez, I said, I hope those work after the race. It'd suck to have to walk home. (Ha.). Got to the mount line and I hear the woman on the microphone say,
"You go girl. Hey, is that Ovetta?"
I look up and it's Siri Lindley the former world champion triathlete who coached Susan Williams to an Olympic medal and is also a commentator for NBC. I had interviewed her a while back for B.T.com
Then she of course says,
"Hey everybody it's Ovetta Sampson, of beginnertriathlete.com let's cheer her on and she gets on the bike. Woo Hoo."
That was kinda cool but not as cool as what happened next.

Organize my TI a little better. Not bring so much stuff.
Bike
  • 4h 00m
  • 56 miles
  • 14.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I have worked really hard on this bike course and I think I did well. I went faster in this race than I ever did in training and I only zoned out once - meaning just going through the motions. I was passed alot but hey I expected taht. I made my goal time even with the wicked hills at the end.

Train more on hills at the end of the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty quick. I should have taken my time and looked for my E-caps but I was so frazzled. This nice guy - who was already finished BTW - gave me some clif shots and helped me rack my bike back up. So sweet. I knew that I had to hustle to finish the run if I was going to make it by race cut off. He said he would be sure to make them save some Bar B que for me.

Calm down a little and take my time.
Run
  • 3h 30m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

As you can tell from my time this sucked - BIG Time. I had put so much into the bike that well I had NOTHING on the run. Plus I had old shoes that were so beat up that everytime I ran it felt like I was running in my bare feet not good for a big girl who needs support. The run was hot and miserable and I never in my life wanted to quit so badly. By the time I got to mile four I was done. That was it. I couldn't move my feet anymore. I wanted to cry but so many people were passing me coming the other way that I couldn't. So I kept running. And low and behold there was actually some guy behind me. But then he passed me too and I felt demoralzed. Ohhhh this sucked so bad. By the time I got to the turn around I was really looking for a SAG vehicle. I was going to miss the race cut off and I was going to collapse. I really wanted to quit.
But they had an aid station at every mile. So I mentally started thinking of this race as running one mile at a time for 13 miles. Sometimes I walked, sometimes I ran but I would chart it off mile by mile.
And like a grocery list I started checking off miles. I stop looking at my watch and started putting one foot in front of the other. I HAD to get back to the parking lot at least. So I walked and ran, walked and ran.
Mile 7
walked and ran.
Mile 8
walked and ran.
Mile 9
walked and ran.
At mile 10 a guy on a bike came riding up to me. I was so glad to see him because I felt so alone on that winding hilly road. I thought the people had left me out there to die which I gladly would have done given half the chance.
"Are you Ovetta?"
He asked. I knew instantly that he must be the RD. Being always last I usually meet the RD because they come out to great me.
"Yep, are you the race director."
"Yes, I'm Darren, how you doing?"
"Good, I'm sorry I'm so slow." The tears were slipping out now. I was trying not to cry but it hurt so much.
"Oh, no problem. Don't cry and don't feel like you got to speed up just cause I'm here."
I noticed I had started to run.
"No, people were just worried about you and asking about you."
Really
Yep. Siri's waiting for you at the finish line.
"Oh that's sweet," I said. But inside my head I was thinking Siri Lindley, the World Champion Triathlete for three years in a row, Siri Lindley, the woman who coached Susan Williams to an Olympic medal, Siri Lindley the woman so good that even when she retired was still ranked No. 1 because of all the points she earned in the World Cup Championships. That Siri Lindley was waiting at the finish line for ME!
Everyone else was long gone, they were in their beds or eating dinner but there was Siri waiting for me.
I started to run a little faster and my grocery list kept shrinking.
Mile 10,
Mile 11
Mile 12
And then I saw the finish line. And I began putting one foot in front of the other. My gait looking less like a gazelle and more like a one-legged cyclops. But I was running. And As I rounded the corner to the finish line - there was no line really they had taken all that stuff down just a big ole clock, I heard Siri yelling my name
"Go Ovetta, Woo Hoo, you did it girl, you did it! You're a 1/2IM finisher. Woo Hoo."
And as they placed the medal on my neck I hugged Siri, collapsed in her arms really and cried on her shoulder. Like a blubbering idoit. I'm crying now as I write this.

Ummm, run more after long bikes. Get better shoes earlier. Should be no problem since I'm going to train for a mary - the Las Vegas Mary in Feb. Woo hoo.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around like a blubbering fool too tired to sit too tired to stand.

Event comments:

So I didn't finish when I wanted.
I crapped out on the run.
But I did finish and I guess that's all you can ask of a person.
And when I got home I donned that Harvest Moon sweatshirt. I had paid for the race but I definitely earned that shirt.
I slept in my sweatshirt and medal. Is that dorky?
OH, I JUST FOUND OUT I WON THE ATHENA DIVISION.
WOO HOO. I EVEN GOT HARDWARE

Last updated: 2005-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:00 | 1939 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion
Course: Straight line out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
04:00:00 | 56 miles | 14.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: OK this course was my bitch. I had ridden it as much as I could. You start out on Quincy Ave., nice stretch of rollers and killer downhills. I was shocked I was averaging 16-17 mph. A first for me. I knew to make the bike cut off I had to average 14 mph. I even averaged 11-12 on the hills. Then you left Quincy and turned onto Watkins lovely downhills, I humped it got up to 20 mph without a downhill. I didn't even know that could be done! At least by me. Then came the fun part. Nine beautiful miles on I-70. Yes that is a major four-lane highway. The race director had a sign asking the cars to drive in the left lane, so you biked on the shoulder and then the right lane was free. But some people didn't heed the call and let me tell you there's no rush like an 18-wheeler passing you at 70 mph. I almost fell off my bike but no worries that was a fast nine miles. Then you exited croosed over to HWY 36 on your way back to Watkins. Nice flat. I kind of zoned out on this one but it was fun. Then you get back on Watkins you hit mile 40 and you only got 16 miles to go and guess what? The course turns into steep, long, 3rd-ring hills. WTF? It was straight from Satan. It hurt like hell. I barely managed more than 10 mph the whole last leg. It hurt. I wanted to cry but then I knew I was almost home and I had plenty of time before the cut off. When I got into T2 I was so happy to get off the bike that I completely forgot I had to run 13.1 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:30:00 | 13.1 miles | 16m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back around the reservoir on a bike path
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-19 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Harvest Moon Half-Ironman

2005-09-19 11:54 AM
in reply to: #249283

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Half-Ironman

Ovetta, you are just awesome!!! Way to go on finishing your first 1/2 IM.  I honestly don't know how you people can race these long distances (of course, I don't think I've ever ridden my bike anywhere near that far, let alone in between a swim and run)!!

I'm so impressed at how far you've come on the bike this summer.  Look at how you pounded out the course at this race with no problems - nice!  And your swim was awesome as usual!  Sorry the run wasn't too fun - sounds like your shoes did you in   But you stuck with it, which is great.

Hang that medal somewhere prominent - you earned it!!   Then take a deep breathe and relax - you don't have to overthink this race anymore

2005-09-19 11:54 AM

User image

Regular
Lone Tree, CO

You are AMAZING!!  I cried most of the way through your RR (well, between giggling).  I am sooo proud of you for hanging in there.

All of the emotions you had and overcame is what racing is all about.  Welcome to the 1/2 IM club!  and...no its not dorky to sleep in your medal and shirt...hey, you earned it!!

How cool to have the support you did at the finish line.  It makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it??

The Vegas race sounds fun.  COgirl and I have been looking for a race to train for.  Maybe I'll do that one too!

2005-09-19 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Congratulations, Ovetta! I thought about you all day yesterday and wondered how you were doing. I hope you're still wearing that finisher's medal today - you earned it! I'm so proud of you. You've had an amazing season and you've come so far this year. You're my hero!!
2005-09-19 12:16 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Wow, what a beautiful, inspiring, wonderful race report!  I am so amazed by how you described the run...just amazed Ovetta.  You are an inspiration, you really are. 

You trained so long for that race and now you have done it and have the medal to prove it!!  Congratulations on your huge accomplishment!  I will remember this race report when I do my first HIM in November. 

Great job Ovetta!!!!!!!!!

Jessica

2005-09-19 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
WOW!!!! Congratulations on finishing your 1st HIM!! Even you had doubts out there, I know everyone else believed you could do it and you did! I was laughing pretty good when you realized you swam with your keys in your pocket. And what a great way to come in, having Siri Lindley waiting there just for you. So cool.

2005-09-19 1:14 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Oh O! Way to go...I was thinking of you all day yesterday and so anxious to read your report. I was reading with tears in my eyes and so proud of you too! What an accomplishment. I hope you are still wearing your sweatshirt and medal too. What an amazing woman you are. I do hope we can train together somday.
Congrats and I hope you have something nice scheduled for yourself today!
Laura
2005-09-19 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Oh crap, I'm sitting in my cube at work tearing up.

Good for you, Ovetta.

2005-09-19 1:49 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice report O!  You did it.  You had a great year of racing.  I know you will continue to work hard and achieve all your goals.  You can check off the 1/2 IM now.  Way to go girl!
2005-09-19 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
CONGRATULATIONS! You did it!
That was an awesome race report. I had tears in my eyes.
Patty
2005-09-19 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
GREAT JOB OVETTA...WOOHOO....what an accomplishment!! You worked really hard for this.  The run sounds terrible!!  Major kudos to you for toguhing it out.  As Kristin would say you are a major Hoss chick  Take care and enjoy that post race glow!!!

2005-09-19 3:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Wow....just WOW!!!!!  You made it - you persevered - you finished a HALF IRONMAN!!  I'm in awe and wonder.   I cried at the end of your report - I wish I could have been there - cheering you across the finish line.  Just truely an amazing story.

And hardware to boot!!!

2005-09-19 4:39 PM

User image

Elite

This has been some journey.  I have been following your logs since you first introduced yourself on BT.  You owe it to us fans to post some pictures.

Congratulations.  You are an inspiration.

TW

2005-09-19 5:39 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Yup, very inspiring...  great ending.

You go O!!

2005-09-19 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
WOW!

I don't have words as beautiful as yours.

GREAT JOB!

2005-09-19 8:15 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Congrats on finishing your 1/2 IM!  What a terrific story!

2005-09-19 8:53 PM
in reply to: #249787

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Congratulations, Ovetta.

Siri's waiting for you at the finish is payback for all of the help and continuing inspiration you give people here at BT.
2005-09-19 10:00 PM

User image

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of those hours of punishing your body paid off   I'm glad to see you didn't quit on yourself - we all knew you could do it!  Yeah!

2005-09-19 10:17 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

You are awesome Ovetta - you did it! 

I know, exactly, how you felt being last, and you totally rock!

2005-09-20 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Wow.....that is a very inspiring story. Congratulations on your race. You are an Iron Woman.
2005-09-20 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Ovetta!!!!

You are so freakin hoss!  What a great race.  I admire you so much Ovetta.  You are so strong, both mentally and physically.  Mortal women wouldn't have found the reserves you did.  Mortal women would have sat down.  You on the other hand chose to perservere, fight through the physical pain, and ignore the mental demons...and you came out the WINNER! 

Great job Hoss Chick!

PS don't forget that after a week the sweatshirt starts to get a little rank, so you might want to consider running through some sprinklers with it on...you know just to freshen it out a little bit!

2005-09-20 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
You made me teary eyed.  You have so much determination.  Congratulations and no it's not dorky to sleep in the shirt and medal!
2005-09-20 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Awesome, awesome, awesome race!!!!!  I'm so happy for you that you overcame the pain and nervousness and fear and finished.  What an inspiring race, race report, and triathlete.  Great season and great job O!
2005-09-23 6:27 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You showed determination and perserverance in tough situations...showed the true spirit of a triathlete!!

You Rock!!

Great Race.....thanks for sharing your RR.

2005-09-24 7:41 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Awesome job, Ovetta!  Way to PERSEVERE!  You have way more guts and determination than those geeks who finish in four hours!  Be proud!

Ya gonna sign up again?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Half-Ironman Rss Feed  

of 2