United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 5s
Overall Rank = 2/277
Age Group = M30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 1/26
Pre-race routine:

Was suppose to fly into Philly the day before, but couldn't get a flight so flew directly to Allentown. When my bike box made it and I was putting my bike together, the rear derailleur fell off! Apparently one of the bolts had stripped and the other came loose. I didn't stress, but then my casettee on the 404 came undone and I thought (operative word) I put it back together right.

Woke up at 5 am and Matt (my BIL) and I headed to the race site. Got there around 6 and was already behind. Stood in line for the standard bathroom ritual after my 2 pieces of peanut butter toast and coffee.
Event warmup:

Got to my rack and put my stuff out. When I was riding over to transition, I heard a really loud clanking sound. Hummm...that's not good. I looked at my rear casettee and sure enough it was loose again. I took off my wheel and off came the pieces! This is about 15 min from the start. I put them back on and hand tighten them, hopeing for the best.

Then I realize that Matt's pump only went up to 120#, so I borrowed a pump from one of the cute sprint girls. Lucky for me because I only had 100 in the front and 90 in the rear!! Cheap 120# not really 120# pump. Now I know what to get Matt for Christmas.

No worries, it's a "C" race, so no need to stress. I got to the start line just as they were getting in the water. I was the first wave. How's that for a warm-up?
Swim
  • 24m 44s
  • 1600 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

I placed myself to the right of the "pack" knowing that I could set a straight line to the turn buoy without being in the masses. For the first time, I settled into a nice stoke fairly quickly. Once again, though, I had issues going straight breathing on my right side. So I deferred to my left since the buoy's were there anyway.

I was stroke for stroke with some guy up until right before the first buoy and then he either got lost of dropped off. Not sure what happenned. But standard for me, I was behind the front pack and in front of the second pack. Why can't people swim 1:30's?! I want swim friends too...

After rounding the last buoy and heading for the shore, I caught two guys that decided they wanted to drift left while I was going straight. Not sure where they were going, but it wasn't to the boat ramp. Maybe they saw a Mermaid...
What would you do differently?:

Push a bit harder and really work my stroke. I need to practice right side breathing and going straight.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I came out of the water knowing that there HAD to be several people in front of me. As I approached my rack, I saw two people there just taking their time. Not sure what they were doing, but they were talking.

I put my stuff on and headed out fairly quickly. I chose to put my shoes on in T1 because of the climb right out of transition. That's not a climb I wanted to negotiate while putting shoes on.

Nothing. Good transition
Bike
  • 1h 05m 14s
  • 24.6 miles
  • 22.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is where I encountered new territory. I came out of T1 and started my climb out to the main road. Now I had thoughts of being first, but I knew there was NO way. I got to the main road and from the surprised looks on people's faces, I could tell they hadn't seen many other riders. After about a quarter mile, I saw my first rider up ahead. I then knew it was GO time. I also knew that there was a turn around coming, so I would soon enough know where I was sitting.

I really went after it the first 5 miles of the ride with a jacked up heart rate from the climb out of transistion. That was not good for the dinner the night before. I started to feel it come up somewhat. Mental note: No Gnocci the night before!!

A bit before the turn around, I see a guy on a disk wheel absolutely flying the other way. I knew he was the leader and he was looking strong. I passed one guy before the turnaround and knew that I was in 4th place at that moment. I was kinda excited because I've never been this high up before. After losing a bit of my stomach contents (seems to be a theme lately), I settled my HR and kept reeling in my next victim.

I caught the first guy before the next turnaround and was feeling strong on the hills. I finally got warmed up and things were humming. Now I was in third. I kept telling myself that the podium was mine to lose and kept glancing at riders coming the other way who looked really strong and saw several. So I began to not only ride scared, but was determined to pass more people. I had a beat on the #2 guy but he was a bit out there. As I finally got next to him, I noticed that there was an OR on his calf. He was a Relay guy! Now I had no idea where I was overall. When we passed back by the entrance, many people were on the road now. The lead guy was still looking strong and I just tried to push my gears.

As I went for my largest gear on a downhill (big front, small rear), my pedals free spun! I was like (WTF?!) not now...NO. I upshift one, same thing...again...still free...then...gear! Awesome. Now I can't use my smallest 3 cogs on my casettee. That's ok, at least it's not my top three because I've got to climb. I could hear the rattling of my casettee banging and just hoped that nothing would happen. Every shift was short and non-jerky to make sure nothing bad happenned. It sucked because I was just getting my roll (get it..roll..) on.

The second loop was aggressive uphills and conservative down because I didn't want to be stupid and lose my rear wheel. I knew it wasn't going to fall off, but combine that with my ghetto fix of my rear derailleur and who knows.

I head down the hill into transition and am probably doing about 40 mph in a tuck. A kid things about crossing the road and thank God Dad was there. Well, it's a sharp left turn and another downhill. As I approach this, an ambulance turns on it's lights and starts out across the road. I slam on my brakes and come to an almost complete stop.

As I head into transition, I know that I am one of the first and it was a really cool feeling. You can see the surprise on people's faces as they realize that your either in the lead or close to it. I was so excited that my bike stayed together during the last loop! I was pretty sure that I passed the guy in second, but couldn't verify it.

Get my rear casettee fixed by the bike shop!
Transition 2
  • 00m 16s
Comments:

Apparently, I flew through transition. It felt fast..but damn!

Nothing
Run
  • 40m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is where my mental game was pushed. I headed out and Nancy didn't know what place I was in. She's usually really good at this. I think her family distracted her from her IronSherpa duties...might ban the Family...not sure.

I got to the first turn around and as I came back by transition, I see a guy come flying out of Transition wearing running shorts. I assume he's a relay guy, but you never know. I also saw about 3-4 strong looking guys coming too. So I buried my self-doubts and tried to keep a good pace going. The relay guy came by me (verified) and I picked it up a bit, but he was flying!

About a quarter mile from the second turnaround, I see the lead guy. He's wearing tri-shorts and a running singlet. I have no idea if he's a relay or not. I assumed he was a local pro that decided to do the race because he was flying!! I came around the turn and didn't see anyone for a while. I tried to convince myself that there was someone on the other side of the cul-du-sac that I didn't see and that he was coming for me. I had to stay focused because this is where I always lose it and create self doubt in my racing ability.

There were no mile markers so that didn't help either. I usually don't check my splits anyway, but it would have been nice to have a guage. Now I'm passing people and getting passed by others on the second loop. Most were sprint passing me with an occasional "O" on a calf. On the way home, I hooked up with a guy who was in the 20 - 24 age group. It was rather funny, because he assumed I was on my first lap like he was.

We spoke briefly and he asked me what age group. I told him 32 and I sat on his shoulder for about a mile. He was ok with that since he said, "I am just looking to win my A/G". With a mile to go, I picked it up and as I passed him, I said, "Have a good second lap". That caught him off guard because he said, "WHAT? you're finishing...dammit!"

I was still running scared and tried to keep my thoughts positive and have what I consider to be a good run. I head towards the finish line and see the clock. To my shock, it read 2:11:XX I didnt' realize it, but I was about to PR for an Olympic Distance race. It never occurred to me.

After I crossed the line, the Lin-Mark lady asked if I was an Olympic distance person, and said if so, "You just WON!" My shock was so profound I couldn't contain myself. She took pictures of me and got my name, etc. Then Nancy yells out and gives me a super huge hug. I would never in my wildest dreams think that I could Win let alone place this well in a late season, well attended race.

Unfortunately, my bubble was defalted a bit later, but that's ok.

Nothing. I could feel it in my legs that I had a Half Ironman the weekend before. My body just wasn't able to push super hard like I wanted it to.

Post race
Warm down:

Lots of hugs all around and I was just so shocked that I actually got numb every once in a while. I then realized that my BIL was still out on course and I at least knew he made it to the run because as I was coming in, I saw him about a 1/2 mile into the run.

I went back out and ran the last mile or so with him. He finished his first Olympic distance and got revenge on the course that he DNF'd on last year! Yeah MATT!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having a really good Half Ironman the week before and travelling for two days prior didn't help too much.

Event comments:

The race was a HUGE improvement from last year. From the swag bag to the changes in the race course. I would do this race again without a problem. If you didn't get something to eat, then it was your fault! IM had less food than he did. Dale, RD, had lots of giveaways and even gave out Heart Rate Monitors. The only negative comment was that the awards ceremony seemed like an after thought compared to the give aways.

Lots of people swarming the table for giveaways and then, "Oh...Johnny won the 30 - 34". Who wants a free Zoot racing top?

I ended up getting second overall and was very happy with that. I looked at the results and he made up his time on the run. He ran 6's while I ran 6:30's. Can't do much about that!! I PR'd and best of all, MATT finished and is now considering doing another one in Sept. HOW kick ass is that?!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:44 | 1600 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/26
Overall: 20/277
Performance: Average
158 avg HR
Suit:
Course: Counter-clockwise Trapazoid. Corners marked my sail boats was a nice touch!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:14 | 24.6 miles | 22.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/26
Overall: 2/277
HR: 150 avg HR max: 163 Ascent: 1260 feet
Wind: Little
Course: Climb out of transition to the main road, 2 out and backs (loops) and back down the hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:58 | 06.21 miles | 06m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/26
Overall: 9/277
HR avg: 163 HR max: 171
Course: A two loop out and back with two small climbs. The turnarounds were on Cul-du-sac type things. Much better than a cone.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-15 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Steelman Triathlon

2007-08-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: #926709

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: Steelman Triathlon
2nd overall, Congrats Dan. Sorry I couldn't join you this year but I certainly didn't miss that hill coming out ot T1. That thing is NASTY!
2007-08-15 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Great job!!   I saw the race report posted and thought, "What?  Didn't he already post a report for Steelhead? "  Then I started reading and realized it was a different race.  Congrats!
2007-08-15 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Man close call on the bike!! Would have really sucked to lose a great race like that to a mechanical failure. I totally argee that they did a great job taking feedback and improving things from last year (Run and swim). I'm also thinking you liked the dry release shirt better than that nasty sweatshirt from last year. The only thing I didn't like was how crowded it got out on the run on those small trails, but I will forgive them since it was shaded the whole way. Great race and reading that came a week off a half ironman is even more amazing.
2007-08-15 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Smokin' race and RR, Dan!!  You sure know how to put on a show!  Way to go...
2007-08-15 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Congrats on a great race!

This was my second race and I really enjoyed it.

2007-08-15 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Congrats!!! What a great race!!
2007-08-16 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Congrats! Great RR as always!!
2007-08-16 2:11 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Your RR's always crack me up!

Awesome race, and overall podium baby!!  That f'ing rocks!!!

Sucks about the mechanical ... without that you probably would have had a few more seconds in the bank.  And you're a BT running stud ..... what happened there?? Tongue out

2007-08-16 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
You had such a great race- how awesome is that??? It was great to meet you, hope to see you around sometime- (before the next college reunion... or did we go to high school together?) LOL!
2007-08-16 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Fabulous race!!!  You are very inspirational and fun to read about!!! Keep up the good work!  Congrats on the PR!

-Leslie

2007-08-16 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

great RR!

that's some hard-won hardware! congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steelman Triathlon Rss Feed