General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Center
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 9s
Overall Rank = 280/420
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/30
Pre-race routine:

I slept well the night before my first tri. Got up at 5:00 and made my way to the race site with my Husband. I can't believe all the stars out at that hour; we followed the big dipper as we made our way into town. Had a cup of coffee and tried to eat my usual bowl of cereal(cereal doesn't sit well in a nervous stomach). Got chip and got marked, and was relieved to find my brother(Dexter) in transition across from me.
Event warmup:

Took a run with my brother, and riddled him with a million questions. Had a clif gel about half hour prior to wave start.
Swim
  • 17m 2s
  • 792 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was hoping for a better time, but I have never competed in an open water swim so I wasn't sure what to expect (sure ain't like swimming in a pool). I did not sight well, and was very distracted by the people dolphining. I did not like the run across the gravel path, I have wimpy feet! After we rounded the first buoy I did get a good draft off a women in front of me. It made it easier to stay on course as I could see her bubbles. I didn't come out of the water winded as I wanted to.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to sight better, learn to block out those around me. Add walking across hot burning coals in to my training program? (maybe it will toughen the feet)
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Transition went well. I liked transition it felt safe and calm...I didn't want to leave!

Dry my feet off better, my shoes and socks were soaked.
Bike
  • 49m 51s
  • 13 miles
  • 15.65 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt good. I have only had my road bike for about a month, previously I was on a mountain bike. I really wanted to have a faster pace, but I knew it was probably unlikely. I am happy with the pace that I had. I think that I may have been drinking too much as my stomach did become upset on the bike, however the Charlie horses in my calf's on the run suggest otherwise. I think I need to dilute my electrolyte drink a little more.

Need to learn to go faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I usually run with a bottle of fluid and didn't want to run without it. I had trouble with my race belt, but didn't want to leave transition until it was on as I couldn't work on it and carry the bottle at the same time.

Sprout another arm? Probably skip the bottle and put the belt on while exiting.
Run
  • 33m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I crashed; I am not a runner. I was hoping to keep the pace at under 10 minutes. I usually do a 9:10 pace, but didn't have high expectations for this run. I left transition with two charlie horses in my calves by the time I hit lakeshore drive they were gone. When we entered the woods my hip crashed (bursitis, arthritis? I always have some pain when I run, but this was intense.) I tried to run it out, but as we exited the woods I knew if I didn't stretch the quad and hip I was not going to complete the run, ergo the race. I stretched at the Hess station (the volunteers were excited that maybe they were going to have the chance to perform first aid!). By then however my right quad was a large knot and I wasn't able to lengthen my stride. Ditched the beloved, and now hated water bottle in a trash can on the pier, and by then I was able to stay focused and ignore the pain to finish. I have to be happy with the 33 minute finish given the amount of pain I was in. It also has compelled me to see the doctor about the hip pain.

Find out what is wrong with the hip. Skip the water bottle (my brother warned me). Train more on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water, and got a big hug from my brother. Walked around some. Started getting my son ready for the kid tri.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pain in the hip, unfamiliarity with competitive open water swims.

Event comments:

I had a blast at this race, and I was thrilled to be able to do it with my brother and get his guidance on all the little ins and outs. The most disappointing part was that my body crashed on me in the run. I hope to be able to fix that for next year. Although secretly I hoped I could go a little faster, I am happy with my time, and looking forward to next year!

Last updated: 2007-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:02 | 792 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/30
Overall: 288/420
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: Triangle, out and around two buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:51 | 13 miles | 15.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/30
Overall: 232/420
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:34 | 03.1 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/30
Overall: 347/420
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-28 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-09-28 7:41 PM
in reply to: #982978

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Congrats on a good race. You overcame the pain you were in and still were able to say you had fun! That's awesome! Your brother is an inspiration as well as a wonderful person. It must be nice to have your own physical therapist at your race. Take advantage of him.

Great report and I hope to see you there next year!

2007-09-29 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

It was nice to meet you! Great job for your first tri, you have a great resource in Dexter to cut the learning curve. I have learned a lot about tri's from him as well (especially the swimming part)!

I crashed in the run on my first race as well, I think the value in getting the first one out of the way is education of what works and what doesn't and what you need to work on. Its a great sport, welcome to it!

2007-10-01 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

Oh shucks Guys I am the dreaded older brother you know.  Tam it was great to have you there.  You did GREATWink.  Congratulation!!!  Sorry about the stomach issues.  Nerves. The next one will be a breeze.  You can't use the hip excuse this week it's mine find another.  We are staying home for Turkey.  Maybe a turkey trot.  Next year you have to come to the carbo load dinner.  Great job little sister.  BE proud. 

PS the bike course is really 13.85 miles long.   

2007-10-02 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Great job on your first race!  They just get better from here!
2007-10-02 7:40 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Congrats on your first race. 

You average run pace is 9:10 min/mile and you are "not a runner"???

2007-10-03 6:52 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
great job on your first tri.  you're so lucky to have family members helping you along in tris, mine just come with me and want to leave as soon as I get done
2007-10-03 8:50 PM
in reply to: #986990

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
D.K. - 2007-10-02 8:40 AM

You average run pace is 9:10 min/mile and you are "not a runner"???

I think that is the nicest comment anyone has ever given me! I have run a couple of 5k and 10k here in NJ, and with that 9:10 I am dead last. Always smoked by people with 6, 7, and 8 minute paces.

I am hoping my run time improves with more training.
2007-10-05 12:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

I was thinking the same thing as DK.  I think you are a runner!

You should be really proud of your first tri. You did great! Even your transition times are good.

Nice to have your brother there to show you the ropes. He's a good guy.

2007-10-05 7:19 PM
in reply to: #992886

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
pjostack - 2007-10-05 1:02 AM

You should be really proud of your first tri. You did great! Even your transition times are good.

Nice to have your brother there to show you the ropes. He's a good guy.

You really should feel proud of yourself for your performance. Your transitions are better than mine!! Dudley is a great guy but if he keeps hearing it in these forums his head is going to get too big and weight him down in the swim.  

2007-10-07 8:14 AM
in reply to: #994343

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
rstocks3 - 2007-10-05 8:19 PM

Dudley is a great guy but if he keeps hearing it in these forums his head is going to get too big and weight him down in the swim. :)

I could tell you some really good stories about him that would keep him humble...I have known him for a long timeWink

Edited by notarunnr 2007-10-07 8:16 AM

2007-10-07 11:34 AM
in reply to: #995166

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
notarunnr - 2007-10-07 9:14 AM
rstocks3 - 2007-10-05 8:19 PM

Dudley is a great guy but if he keeps hearing it in these forums his head is going to get too big and weight him down in the swim.

I could tell you some really good stories about him that would keep him humble...I have known him for a long timeWink

Should we start another thread?  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed