General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 29m 39s
Overall Rank = 73/728
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/78
Pre-race routine:

Got to Austin on Friday to visit friends in the afternoon and evening. Saturday was spent watching Beth (Tri Mommy) race the Sprint. (She did great!) Dinner Saturday night with the BT crowd. -- Fantastic!

Got to bed early, so plenty of rest before getting up for the race. Quietly got ready and slipped out of the hotel to catch a ride with Sue and Reagan, so Beth and the kids could sleep. (They showed up to cheer later in the morning.) Oatmeal, dry Cheerios, and a bagel for breakfast.

Bike racked the day before, so just had to set up nutrition and run gear, etc.
Event warmup:

Some light jogging between the lake and just out the park.
Swim
  • 39m 31s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good, controlled start for me; I didn't let myself get carried away by the excitement. A good deal of bumping in the washing machine, but not too bad. Got kicked in the left shoulder, but no issues with the elbow.

Didn't do great with drafting the first leg, but found someone to hang on after the first bouy. Stuck with him the rest of the way. He was sighting pretty well, so I navigated by keeping aligned with him. This let me sight less often and focus on better breathing, stroke, pointed feet, etc.
What would you do differently?:

Really felt good about the swim. Didn't think I was pushing fast enough to break 40min, so I was surprised when I checked my split. Still need to develop a kick at some point. Bouyancy felt a little weak at some points.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Long, uphill, grass run from water to transition. Put on shoes in transiation, and was a little slow getting some grass off my feet first. (18th in age group.)

Mount wasn't as good as recent events, but I was being a little cautious with the arm. Got clipped in pretty well, though.

Maybe I'll decide to work on having shoes mounted on bike for next year.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 57s
  • 56.8 miles
  • 20.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really in control for the ride. Only checked my cadence a couple of times, but I was spinning well even later in the race. HR stayed much lower than I expected for the terrain. (HR avg: 134!) The rollers made for a pretty fast course. Given how good I felt, I was a little surprised I wasn't a bit faster against the field in my age group. Given my lack of opportunity to train outside the past weeks because of the broken elbow, I guess I'm still very happy with this. Stayed aero nearly the entire time except for most corners (I was being a little cautious) and a few hill summits where I just really wanted to get off the saddle for a few seconds.

Saw the officials out there, and the Mavic crew was working the course. Only saw two people stopped for mechanical during the ride. About 15 miles in, one person crashed just a little ahead of me in a straight section. Looked like he dropped a bottle and then ran over it, got wobbly, and went down. Ouch! He was standing by the time I reached him.

Nutrition was 1 bottle of 4.5 scoops of Perpetuem, aero bottle was water (refilled at each handup), 1 mini clif block, one hammer gel, and 4 enduralytes.

I was going to make sure I took in enough nutrition on the bike this time. The clif bar was great, and the solid nutririon was a nice change. I've done gels in the past with no problem, but this one seemed really sweet going down. Too sweet, but I choked it down. Unfortunately, it made me rethink my plan to take in another gel on the bike, or use gels on the run (which may have proved to be a bad choice later.) I did at least time everything to finish my nutrition with about 20-30 minutes left on the bike, so my stomach could be settled starting the run. Last time, I found myself trying to get the remaining food down in the last couple miles.

On the last handup, I grabbed a Gatorade, took a quick swig, then ditched it and tried to grab a water bottle, too. Unfortunately, I missed it, so I didn't get to refill for the last section. I still had some water, but it was rattling empty by the time I pulled into T2. It was a tactical win (less weight up those last hills), but would have been a problem if the handup had been earlier or the course longer.

Oh, and kudos to the rider out there that I was trading places with around mile 15. He did the course riding an older fixed-gear bike! (Riding strong, too.) I told him I had to admire him for taking on this course on that bike, and he joked back with "Someday I'll be able to afford some more gears."

Not much. I finished the ride feeling like I'd given a steady, strong effort, but ready for the run. More hill training might let me push a harder gear up some of the longer rollers. I'll consider some behind-the-seat bottles so I have backups.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I have had some absolutely fantastic dismounts in the past. This wasn't one of them.

A little hesitant to trust my healing elbow completely, I came to more of a stop before throwing my leg over and jumping off the bike. I moved pretty quickly through transition, spotting the bright, felt, 2' tall flower Beth had bought the day before to mark my transition spot.. I didn't have any problem with grass burrs, although I've heard that some people did.

A little slow to rack the bike, because I had to turn it around to use my good arm. I'd decided to go without socks for the bike, so I pulled them on in T2 then slipped into shoes. Grabbed hat and belt and put them on while running out.

I heard them announce that Aaron (JeepFleeb) was coming in on the bike and leading the Aquabike, so I was running backwards through transition looking for him and yelled a "Go Aaron!". Must've looked a little funny to anyone watching, I'm sure.

Grabbed water and gatorade at the transition exit, mixed them and took a swig. At my first HIM, I suspected nutrition/electrolytes is where I faltered on the second half of the run. I originally planned for gels, but after the one on the bike, that didn't sound appealing, so I also grabbed a handful of pretzels and chips (wanted the salt). Pretzels were a pain to get down, and the flavor on those chips was a bit strong.

Forgo the food. Focus more on getting the nutrition / electrolyes perfect during the bike segment.
Run
  • 2h 02m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Got off to a great start on the run! Was keeping my pace under control and my HR down. I was surprised to see the number of people already walking so early in the run. Around mile 1, was caught by a 26 year old guy and I started pacing alongside him. That worked out great, and we held steady for the entire first lap, even up the big hill!

But... between miles 4 and 5 I started having some GI issues. I don't know if it was the cola I started taking from the aid stations earlier, the gatorage, the chips, or what. I managed to hold off until we got back to transition to start lap 2, but there was no choice, and I headed straight for the bathrooms. I kept it quick, but the the worst part about making that stop was losing the guy I was pacing with.

Got back on the course pretty quickly and back into a groove. Once back out on Decker Road, I thought I could see my pacer in the distance, and I think I was gaining on him over time. I skipped anything but water and sponges at the aid stations, but by the turnaround I was suffering badly again and had to make another bathroom stop. This one was significantly longer, and I'd have to guess I gave up at least 4-5 minutes on the two stops. After that, I didn't even take much water, as I was afraid it was exacerbating the issue. Instead I dumped any ice I could find in my hat -- great for cooling and I could chew it for at least some hydration.

I guess my legs got a little rest while I was handling issues in the porta-john, but without a pacer I started suffering more. Slower pace, my chest tightened up some, and I walked briefly a few times around mile three back on Decker Road. But on the bright side, I was seeing more BTers on the course by that time -- John (jcagg90), David (dgillen), Marcy (dodgersmom), Craig (docshock) -- and shouting encouragement to each other helped.

But I was spent by the time I reach the big hill again. I just couldn't run up it. In fact, as I rounded the corner to start it, I discovered Sue (sportysue) was just 15 or 20 feet ahead of me. She was waslking too, but I didn't have the energy to call out to her. After what seemed like a really long time, I finally mustered the strength to jog up beside her so I'd have someone to talk with as I was walking up. I also noticed Mike (marmadaddy) walking a little ways ahead of us, too.

At this point I was checking my watch, trying to estimate the distance, and whether 5:30 was still possible. I didn't think so, but at some point I decided I had to keep trying, so with a little left of that hill I made myself run again. Mike had started running again a little earlier and was out of sight, so I used him as something to focus on catching. I finally caught him near the last aid station and mumbled something about "..just keep me moving".

That last uphill section before the finish was a cruel trick. My legs gave out again and I found myself walking with only a couple tenths of a mile left to go. I was still moving, but that 5:30 time was coming up fast. A guy I'd passed earlier caught up and went by me. Between that and coming up on the last corner and hearing the crowd around the bend I decided to make it count. From somewhere (I'm not sure where), I pulled out a full sprint for the last two tenths. I caught and passed that last guy and finished to a roaring crowd and the discovery that I'd squeeked in under 5:30. It felt great!

Because the 1st half went so well, I have a really hard time calling this run "Below Average". But with the GI/nutrition issues and walking during the latter half, it certainly wasn't one of my best. I'll just go with "average".

I hate to (potentially) ruin a long training run by trying radically different things, but I really need to pick some weekends and practice with cola, with pretzels, with chips, or the other things often found on race courses course to find exactly which one(s) caused my issues.

Need some more hill sessions to build the strength for the second half.
Post race
Warm down:

They put the finisher's medal and towel around me after I stopped, then I got pretty light headed. Volunteer helped me to the finish tent, where I tried to hold myself up, but I found myself going down to one knee. Was helped to the misting tent where I took a chair for a few minutes.

Found Beth and the kids, who were happy to see me but a bit worried. Was still feeling light-headed so I went to the med tent where they put me on a cot, iced me down and gave me more Gatorade. It was a pretty brutal day, and the med tent was busy the entire time, so I tried not to stay too long.

Made sure to get on the massage list before finding the other BTers and chatting for a little bit. (Ohhh.. that post-race massage is always fantasting. I don't know how I would have managed the car ride back to Dallas that afternoon without it.) I wanted to stay for all the BTers to finish, but the kids were beside themselves and we had to get back to Dallas because of some evening plans, so I loaded up in the food tent (ooo.. Amy's ice cream was GREAT) and then we headed off to get the bike and make one last trek over to the expo center to the car. (I have to walk that AGAIN?!?!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

GI/nutrition issues with the run. Possible from poor decisions on foods at aid stations.
Endurance/strength for the hills on the run.

Event comments:

Keith and Enforfun pulled off another **fantastic** event. The course was definitely challenging, but one of the best races I've done. I loved the bike course, and the run really forced me to dig deep. I'm thrilled with how I did.

Organization, support, supplies, volunteers, atmosphere, food, activities -- it was all top-notch. Having so many BTers around made it even better, and the encouragement and support from them was unbeatable. I don't know if I'll be able to make the trip to Austin every year, but I'm going to try to make it to Longhorn again.

This was a Halfmax qualifying event, so the top 25% of each age group qualifies to attend the Halfmax Nationals next year. Looks like I may be in! So who knows, maybe I'll be headed off to St. Louis next year.

Last updated: 2007-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:31 | 1931 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/78
Overall: 170/728
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Trapezoid, clockwise from the boat ramp. Glassy, smooth lake conditions.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:43:57 | 56.8 miles | 20.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/78
Overall: 93/728
Performance: Good
HR Avg: 134
Wind: Little
Course: Single loop; rolling hills with a few good climbs. (Someone with Garmin reported 2900' of climbing overall.) Mostly smooth roads. Four bottle handups. Great support, well marked, police at all intersections.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:02:42 | 13.1 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/78
Overall: 119/728
Performance: Average
Lap 1: 55:02 (8:27/mi) -- HR avg/max: 153/167 Lap 2: 1:07:22 (10:17/mi) -- HR avg/max: 160/???
Course: Hilly! Rollers for the first 2/3rds of each loop, with a big downhill and big uphill around mile 5. Levels off a bit, but an unexpected smaller uphill section right near the lap split/finish. 1900' of climbing for each loop! The aid stations were awesome! Nine stations - 7 full stations, plus two more sponge stations - **per loop**!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-09 11:19 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2007-10-09 11:43 PM
in reply to: #1000082

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Wow, great race David. That's an impressive time for those conditions. You looked really good when you passed me on the trail. It was great seeing you again.
2007-10-10 5:07 AM

User image

, Texas
Outstanding race, David. You rebounded nicely from your Mckinney mishap.

Really cool there was a fixed gear out there. I wonder how he felt on the run
2007-10-10 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Awesome job of breaking 5:30 and qualifying for HalfMax!  Great splits in all 3 sports!
2007-10-10 9:54 AM

Wow - you just squeeked in under 5:30 - Awesome!
2007-10-10 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Your performance was awesome. Considering the interuption, in your training, I just do not think you could have done much better. Congrats on qualifing for the Halfmax. I would say that is a must do.

2007-10-10 1:32 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Incredible job David. Great race.

2007-10-10 9:19 PM

User image

Plano, TX

So proud of you honey.  I am glad you kept persueing the race after the broken elbow.  As David Young said, "I believe he has nothing but hope", and he was right.   Fantastic performance.  Now you have some new goal decisions to make...

I agree, that last hill for the last .2 miles around the corner was a mean trick.  It got me on Saturday, and I almost puked on the 3 mile marker because of it!

And how many times did we talk about not trying anything new on race day?  :-) I am sure you will have the nutrition down pat by Lonestar.

Race you on Sunday....

2007-10-10 11:07 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Halfmax bound!  Very nice!

Yet another strong performance.  Your times look great in all three legs.  Congrats on a well-rounded performance!

2007-10-11 5:25 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job.  Nice sub 5:30 race.

TJ

2007-10-12 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Super job and great report!  Have fun in St. Louis! 

2007-10-12 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

Awesome job despite the hardships of the healing elbow and GI trouble.  Your splits were excellent!!  Great job!  It was great to meet you!

See you at HalfMax in '08! 

2007-10-13 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great job out there!  Really impressive in that heat.
2007-10-15 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great job, David! You had some awesome splits! Thanks for walking with me up the hill from hell! It was nice to have company!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed