Public Landing, Maryland
United States
Maryland Coastal Bays Program
Total Time = 2h 02m 24s
Overall Rank = 331/358
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5 a.m. (I love a 9a.m. start time!!). Made a PB&J, grabbed a banana and was out the door. Made Glenn (wyecrab) stop for a Pumpkin Spice Latte (skim milk and no whipped cream) because we had to drive right past Starbucks and they are too good to pass up. The kids were staying with my brother and SIL so it was nice relaxing drive to Public Landing. This was the first race this year that Glenn and I have done together.
Event warmup:

Even though we were not the first car in the parking lot this year we were early enough that the bike racks were pretty empty when we arrived. We pulled to the side of the road and put our bikes on the rack closest to the bike exit and then went to park the car. We spent some time setting up transition and chatting - Dave (dtraining), Skip (fly capt), Joe (lcsolutions) were all doing this race and Reji (tink) was there for support. About 8:00 Glenn decides it's a good time to put the front wheel on his bike. He pulls it out of the case and....it's flat. Glenn was in a panic, so I got my warm-up by running to the car and getting the pump. It was a very hectic few minutes because the stem on his spare tube was too short to work w/ the race wheels. Fortunately, Dave came though w/ one that was the right size. I did battle w/ my wetsuit during the pre-race meeting. Then we walked down to the swim start.
Swim
  • 14m 37s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a difference a year makes!!! Last year this race happened the day after a nor'easter. It was windy, the water was rough and it was COLD!!! This year I don't think we could have had better swim conditions. My time is only 30 seconds better this year, but becuase it was so rough last year the course was really short. So I'm pleased with the swim. Instead of getting out at the boat ramp, this year they put in a set of steps going up to the peir. Not a bad change.
What would you do differently?:

Last year this race was my second tri and my first race swim with a wet suit. Partly because it was so rough and I had so little experience I had a horrible swim. My swimming has improved and having great conditions was a big help. I am please with the progress I've made so far, but I will keep working at it becuase I still have a LOT of room for improvement.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

It was a pretty long jog down the pier to TA. At the end of the pier I saw Lisa Rodrigez - last year she was one of the Team Danskin coaches from Ocean City (MD), so I had to give her a hug (I'm sure she just loved the wet, post swim, hug!!!). Not too bad a time, for me. I really need to work on speeding up this part. (At least I didn't have any trouble finding my bike :) )

Be faster!!!
Bike
  • 53m 25s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm pretty pleased with the bike, I cut my time from last year by 4:20. I passed quite a few people, even close to the end. Not to far into the ride my glasses were completely fogged up. It was pretty cloudy so I just took them off and shoved them down my shirt - it worked. About the only bad thing was on one of the turns I had just passed someone and was moving to the right when some j--k a-- w/ an Annapolis tri club shirt on passes me on the right. That was way too close for comfort!!!!

The obvious is get faster. I would like to have a higher ave. speed, on these nice flat courses. Also, I have got to get better about drinking on the bike!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

This was a pretty long T2. I don't know that I can do the flying bike dismount b/c I have no legs left when I get off the bike, but I need to find a faster way.

Maybe I can try getting my feet out of my bike shoes while I'm still riding and leave them on the bike.
Run
  • 48m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 15m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

By the time I started on the run it was dang warm. So many people on course commented about how it was just too hot to be October. But I really don't think it should have been that big an issue - after all, I trained all summer. If I drank more on the bike it would probably help out. My legs were lead like for about the 1st 15 mins, but then they felt ok. Even with that I didn't feel like I could pick up the pace any. I was just slogging though this run. It's pretty disappoint becuase I had a considerably better pace than this at Sandy Hook and on my run the week before. There is a wooden bridge on the course - on the way back I guess my foot got hung up on one of the planks and down I went!!! I landed on my left arm on my side. Well, endorphins are an amazing thing - this little encounter with gravity didn't hurt at all. I picked myself up, dusted myself off - assured the few people that were behind me that I was perfectly fine and finished the run. (Later that evening and over the next couple of days, my ribs let me know just how hard I hit the ground - ug!!!) As I come up to the last corner the BT crew is there to cheer me in - thanks guys, you are the best!!!
The run took me 3:30 longer this year than last - bummer.

I need to spend more time pounding the pavement, do more speed work and get the extra pounds off!!! Remaining verticle during the entire run will do a lot to speed up my time too:)
Post race
Warm down:

Hugs and high fives and drank an Endurox. We packed up transition and took stuff to the car. Walked back to check out the offical times. Didn't see any one we knew milling around so we headed off to the coldest, best tasting post race beers ever!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other than my run I'm very pleased w/ this race. I just gotta keep training and continue to get stronger and faster.

Event comments:

This was finish number 6 for me!!! This time last year I never would have believed I'd be able to say that. This race is an awesome way to wrap up the season. It's local, small, low key and fun. It's well organized and raises money for a great cause - the Maryland Coastal Bays Program.

Last updated: 2007-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:37 | 880 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/358
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:44
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:25 | 15.2 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:50 | 03.1 miles | 15m 45s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-10 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Osprey Sprint Triathlon

2007-10-10 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1000734

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Osprey Sprint Triathlon
Congrats nice race. 
2007-10-10 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
awesome race.  i hate when people pass on the right and it always seem to be the people who should know better, not some newbie.  sorry about the fall.
2007-10-10 12:48 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Great race! I hope your ribs are OK.
2007-10-10 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Battling with wetsuits, bad cyclists, losing to gravity, etc.  Sounds like you had a rough day, but came out with a great race.  It's so great that you've finished six of these!  You're a pro!

2007-10-10 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1001117

User image

Veteran
klgray - 2007-10-10 1:47 PM

Battling with wetsuits, bad cyclists, losing to gravity, etc.  Sounds like you had a rough day, but came out with a great race.  It's so great that you've finished six of these!  You're a pro!

Hmmmm, didn't mean to come off sounding to negative.  Battling the wetsuit is standard operating procedure and they guy passing on the right caused a split second of worry about crashing into him.  Other than tripping over my own feet it was a pretty darn good day!!!

Edited by crabsrule 2007-10-10 2:51 PM

2007-10-10 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Great race. The weather was perfect and you seemed to have done very well.
2007-10-10 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Brenda, nice job!  You and I are at the same spot, we started with Danskin and just finished our 6th, cool to have a "twin" out there  Your swim, was super fast, I'm very impressed with your bike ride and you got up and kept going on the run...good for you!  You are a true triathlete.
2007-10-11 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Nice job Brenda!  It was fun hanging out with you and Z5 pre-race.  Sorry I couldn't hang around for your finish.
2007-10-11 6:38 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Brenda, congrats on the 6th finish. You did a very fast swim.  All the master swims seem to have really help.  Sorry bout the fall,glad you weren't hurt to badly. We need to do a few races together next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Osprey Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed