General Discussion Race Reports! » Casa Grande to Saguaro National Park 300 km brevet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Casa Grande to Saguaro National Park 300 km brevet - CycleOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Casa Grande, Arizona
United States
Arizona Brevet & Randonnee
32F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 57m
Overall Rank = 1/4
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Lots of prep work had to go into this event. The thing about a brevet is that you're expected to be out there on your own. There are no "aid stations" per se, just checkpoints every 40-50 miles or so. I had to make sure I carried everything I needed. Plus there are added requirements of extra reflective gear and lights.

I planned out the nutrition first. My max load of Infinit (168oz) was enough to get me through the lunch break (120 miles). I bagged up another 7 servings for the remaining miles plus some extra. I also brought 7 carbooms in the bento box for those empty stomach moments I get on the liquid diet, and an emergency energy shot to get me through the end.

Next was bike setup and tune up. Daryl's been having issues with the rear derailleur and cracks in the aerobars, so I took him in to the pros. With that done I outfit him with the lights and extra tubes in addition to all the bottles, gels, CO2, cell phone, etc. I have 2 cateye headlights that strap nicely under my aerobars. They give a pretty good beam when used together, and they tuck out of the away under there. The tail light is a rubber-band-on blinky thing which always gives me trouble because of the aero shaped tubes.

Next I outfit myself. It was going to be close to freezing and pitch black out when we set out in the morning. I opted for toe warmers, arm warmers, a breathable jersey, and regular old bike shorts and gloves (fingerless). Over that I had on my reflective vest and camelback. I also brought a spare tire and mini pump in my jersey pocket since I tend to have bad luck with CO2 (famous last words).

Food in the days leading up was a goodly feast. I've come to realize that for endurance events carbo loading is mostly about adding some extra fat and salt stores to use during the event. That's all the encoragement I need, so I upped the calories pretty well on Thursday and added some salty foods on Friday.

In the morning I got up at 3:30. I slept ok, but was restless for the last hour or so. Breakfast was OJ and a protein bar + extra vitamin C, echinacea and whatnot for the beating I was about to put my immune system through. I left the house at about 4:22 and got to the start at 5:08. This was quite a bit faster than I expected.
Event warmup:

This is one of those events where you look at the term "Warmup" and laugh your red bike off. The event coordinator Susan gave me a little hint of, "Is that all you're wearing?" when I got out of the car. At the time I felt ok, but I took the hint and added the grimey old fleece jacket in my trunk to my core layers. (good idea)

I got my packet (directions and a brevet card), put myself together, used the RR, and chatted a bit waiting for 6. Susan was going to be our only support for the day, so I asked if she could hold my bag of white powder for the day. In retrospect I should have smeared some on my moustache. :)
That was good though because then I didn't have to worry about carrying that until lunch.
Bike
  • 14h 57m
  • 201.5 miles
  • 13.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Where to begin? How about the beginning...

Only about 4 of us showed up. Susan seemed a bit suprised. I don't know if she even made up her gas money for the day. We set out at 6 and left some cue sheets at the cars in case anyone else showed. She said that one guy she was expecting was famous for showing up at the last minute by speeding past the DPS station up the road. He was a no show, so we were off.

Susan led us out of town in her truck. It was mostly a shakedown slow ride to make sure we had ourselves in order. I wanted to go faster just to warmup a little. My toe warmers and gloves were doing nothing for the extremities, and I was glad I was riding a tri bike because I was tucked into a huddle for warmth more than for any aerodynamic benefit. I learned later it was right about at 32F.

Just before we made the last turn out of Casa Grande Susan drove off, and we started to figure out who could best read directions by the light of their bike headlamps. I eventually got the hang of it by resting into aero position with the card between my hands at the end of my bars. We crossed over I10 to make our first self-navigated turn, and Susan was there. "Was she going to do this all day?" I wondered, but it turned out she had some concerns about our tail lights. One guy's had already fallen off, so she gave him a loaner. Mine apparently wasn't visible enough under all my tail baggage around the rear bottle holders. I had to move the troublesome rubber band down around an even thicker section of aero tubing. Luckily it was loostened up and stretched right around. She told the other two of the guys to go on since they had no problems, and I waited while they put on the new light for the other rider.

I rode with this guy for a while, and we chatted. I think this was Mark, but I'm horrible with names. We saw some glimmer of hope for a sunrise as we headed East. For a while there was a smooth faster patch where I picked up the pace a bit and dropped Mark. I actually thought he was keeping up ok, but looked back and didn't see him. I did see Dave's tail light up ahead, so I kept up a good cadence and passed him in short order. So much for having a group to help with directions. I assume the 4th guy (Paul?) must have made a wrong turn because I never saw him again and his car was still there when I finished.

Past Coolidge we started on the roughly 40-50miles of false flat uphill, into the wind, with the sun in our face. Needless to say it was somewhat brutal. First I thought it was just the wind as I looked down and realized I was having a hard time holding 15MPH. That lasted about 11 miles. Susan was stationed at one spot along here taking pics, but that was the only smile I made. I turned onto HWY 79 to realize that's where the wind was really coming from. 15mph became a nice memory for the next 30 miles, and despite the sun it was still pretty cold. I ate my first carboom and had to chew it because it was so congealed.

Along the last 10 miles to the first checkpoint/breakfast stop I started hearing a squeak that I couldn't place. My tires looked ok. Nothing appeared to be rubbing, but it would only start when I tried to push harder. Learning a lesson from Standswithfist, I stopped and let up the brake latch on my rear tire and looked a bit more thoroughly for other rubbing spots. I hoped that was it and that maybe that was partly to blame for my slow speed. It wasn't. A mile or so later I heard the telltale sound of a flat in my front tire forming. It was a slow leak.

I couldn't find a source, so I just changed it and filled it with CO2. My luck with CO2 however continued with rightious indignity. As I pulled off the chuck from the stem, now frozen with dry ice from the fast-escaping CO2, the thing broke clean off. I yelled some expletive at this point, but realized that dang if the thing wasn't holding air! And it was full! I pondered it for a moment and decided to try my luck and ride it to the checkpoint where there would be a floor pump. I smiled again for my picture as I pulled into the rest stop.

I changed the tube again there. The broken tube was holding, but I wasn't going to risk another 40 miles. That was my last tube though. Secretly for the rest of the ride that little fact gave me hope that I'd have an excuse to call for a rescue if I got just one more flat. I had a few laughs about the incidents so far with Susan, and I headed out just after Mark and Dave pulled in. This was the last I saw of them too.

The climb continued for the better part of this leg. I never got it up past 15 or so, and my hopes for getting to the Saturday night BT party were slowly slipping away. Somewhere along here I think I had a short conversation with Jesus. He assured me that I didn't need to be a part of that debauchery anyway, and that this was a little taste of forty days in the desert with temptation at arms reach away. (Hey, at least it got me through the ride.)

I don't know precisely where I finally crested the false flat, but it was a beautiful feeling when I did. The descent into Oro Valley was fan-fricken-tabulous. This was about the only reason why I didn't call my inlaws from Tucson right then and there to come take me back to my car. The only downside to the rest of this leg was when I managed to pass the last turn into the checkpoint. I didn't make it far. I was counting miles and realized just as I passed it that it might have been the turn. I didn't stop for long.

Leg 3 was identical to the Oro Valley section of El Tour de Tucson. This was the one familiar stretch for me, so it went pretty well. The roads on the west side of I10 still suck. (Please tire, please tire, just blow!) No such luck.

I knew Gates Pass was coming soon, so I took it easy for the next couple miles. When I finally got to the turn to go up the hill I stopped for a bit, rested and ate a gel to get my courage up. I had no idea what to expect. The climb started out pretty gradual. I didn't have to granny gear it for a while. It got steadily steeper and steeper until the last 100 yards or so were a real standing climb. Again, I had no idea what to expect, only that this spot on the cue sheet said 4.7 miles. I went into it totally thinking that this climb was going to last that whole stretch, so I was pleasantly supriised to see the downhill part was wrapped into that 4.7. That was a good time, a nice winding steep downhill where you could go faster than the cars. From there it was just a few rolling hills before lunch.

I took a long break at lunch. I totally refilled my bottles and put some in the camelback too. Susan was going to be there at the finish, so I gave her the powder bag again. She had turkey wraps and chips and the leftover breakfast goodies laid out. I had half a turkey wrap and pocketed the other half. We chatted for a bit, and I quized her on the terrain for the second half. She gave me a few pointers about the directions. Apparently she would not be at the next stop. It was a grocery store in the middle of nowhere, about 60miles ride from lunch, and I should expect to see odd things like farm equipment pulling up to the drive through window (at the grocery store). It was going to be flat though, and that's all I cared about.

My biggest mistake of the day came shortly after lunch. The directions said to take Mile Wide Rd to the end and turn right on Sandario. I also misread the next 2 lines which said to continue going straight for about 10 and a half miles. When I turned onto Mile Wide I saw an endless downhill in front of me and I rejoiced. This was short lived. The road started to get rough, so my happy speed didn't last. There were a pair of one lane bridges, and then the road turned to dirt! WTF?! I pulled out the directions and found that the stop sign about a mile or two back was Sandario, the directions should have said to turn at the stop sign instead of at the "end", and the 10.5 miles was actually on Sandario.
DOH!
I found my way back on course, and headed North on Sandario. This was a long slow incline for a while, but eventually flattened out. A few more turns and a few more miles later I was back at I10.

The directions from here were basically to head north to the market and then west into Casa Grande. It was just a good 40+ miles of that. The directions had us skirting I10 for 24 miles through Picacho. There was a marked spot for a food stop at the Picacho Peak DQ. I stopped there for a restroom break and pondered buying something, but I thought I'd get some coffee at the market/checkpoint since we had to get a receipt to prove we stopped there. It got dark on the way to Picacho, so the lights came back on. There was really nothing interesting to do along there except count the beeps from my watch that indicated the passing miles. I tried to pick up the pace a bit to make the beeps come faster. There was a train stopped along the way that started going in my direction. I wondered if the conductor would mind if I hopped on for a few miles. I couldn't make that logistically work in my head (good thing since that means my head was still working). I drank my emergency boost to keep it that way.

There was only one more tricky spot in the instructions. The last turn before a 10 mile straightaway to the market was a weird intersection where the directions again said to turn at the "end" instead of at the stop sign. The "end" was on the other side of the street, and there was a perfectly reasonable stretch of road to take over there. There was a creful hint in the directions though, "Don't go to Eloy!". I went down the road for a half mile or so and saw a sign that said "Eloy 3 mi". Not too bad of a wrong turn. The real disapointment came when I was all happy that this was the last stretch till the market. I looked at the distance to read a big fat 10. Ten miles of nothing in the dark till the end of this leg. Start counting the beeps again.

I got to the market and blew right by it. The place and the whole intersection was dark. I was saved by counting my beeps. When I read the directions for more clues I realized they were describing the corner I just passed, maybe another half-mile mistake. Now here's the dillema. No market, no one to sign my card. Darkness. I thought about it for a bit, then did my best to shine my headlights on the market and take a picture with my cell phone. (see the pic below) There was no way I wasn't getting credit for this one!

From there it was one 11 mile stretch into Casa Grande, the Big House. 11 beeps, a few lights and turns later I was back at my car and waking up Susan who was sleeping in her truck. It was 9 and I had a party to get to.
What would you do differently?:

I would not do this again.
Post race
Warm down:

A little stretch and chat with Susan about the directions. The last bit through town was too stop-and-go to go fast, so it was an ok "cool down" (as the temps dropped back into the 30s).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather, time of the year, knowledge of the course, and lack of other people were the main detractors. If any of the above were better I think I would have had a much better and faster ride.

Event comments:

This was one of the most grueling and frightening experiences I have ever endured. Not because of the distance, mind you, but because of the combination distance, weather, lack of participation, and course. I was out in the middle of the desert in winter, alone, at night, in litterally freezing weather. Just me and my bike. It was something I won't soon forget, but it was something I'll never do again...until next time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-12-17 12:00 AM
Biking
14:57:00 | 201.5 miles | 13.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/4
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong
Course: See my training blog for the route.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2007-12-17 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ
Subject: Casa Grande to Saguaro National Park 300 km brevet

2007-12-17 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1106779

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Casa Grande to Saguaro National Park 300 km brevet
I am so glad you mentioned how frightening it was because I read it with this trepidation in the back of my mind 'he was ALONE the entire time? In the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE?' All these thoughts came into MY head I cannot imagine what must have gone on in your mind! I would have FREAKED! But holy wow, you did it and YOU WON WAHOO!!! It was a really fun read and I am still in shock that you took this on. You're crazy...it's official now!

Way to go...was this up here with Ironman difficulty because it was not supported and freaky?
2007-12-17 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
You ARE amazing!
2007-12-17 10:23 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Yep, you're THE MAN all right.

Awesome job!
2007-12-17 10:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
WOW! I am in AWE! That sounds like an experience. I may have to start thinking about trying one of those. Glad your second spare held up.
2007-12-17 11:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
What an incredible ride!  You are crazy  brave to do this.  Those are some dark, desolate areas you were in.  I'll bet that party food at Tanya's tasted like heaven after his ride!!  You make us proud....

2007-12-17 11:55 PM

User image

Master

That wasn't a ride, it was a journey, and this was probably the best RR I've ever read!  I've never seen you to the point where you wanted to have an excuse to be picked up. That say's a LOT about this event and how difficult it was. You gutted it out though and not only finished, but WON! To top it off, you still made the party.  What a day!!

If I ever try to sign up for something like this, be a friend and stop me. 

2007-12-18 1:00 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-18 1:31 AM

Australia
OMG - what a bizarre race! You did well to finish - that really would have been scary!

So did you make it to the party?
2007-12-18 10:10 AM

Expert
Wandering through AZ

Thanks everybody. Even reading back over this report I can't say that the description does justice to what it felt like out there. It was crazy.

That said, I would do this distance again, but not by myself and definitely not in the middle of winter.

2007-12-18 11:02 AM

Mesa
Hey Harry,
Good work making it through a long crazy ride.

I did this one back in February and would have been out there with you if I hadn't gotten sick. When I did the ride though, there were about 40 or so doing the ride. Looks like you added a few miles with missing turns. I did the ride with Pilgrim and we rode most of the ride with a guy that had done the ride before and knew all of the turns.

I am certainly doing this in February... both the 200k and 300k.

2007-12-18 11:18 AM

Pro
AZ

It's official...you have totally flipped your curly, long wig!

Insane.

2007-12-18 11:21 AM

Expert
Chandler, AZ

Harry, you are inspiring. I enjoyed reading this RR like a novel. I was not sure what to expect next. I am glad that you added the various thoughts that went on in your head. The desert can be a lonely place during the winter. What the story does not reflect is that Casa Grande is about 50 miles from the BT party and that you still showed up after a very long day of racing. On the surface, riding with the cue cards sounds fun. I do not think this would be true at this distance. The fact that 4 of you gave this a shot speaks to a very challenging adventure. 

2007-12-18 4:46 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Well Done Harry! What an adventure!
2007-12-27 1:12 PM

Expert

Wow Harry, what an adventure. I think I would have not only been hoping that my tire popped, but I might have helped it along.

Great job persevering through some tough conditions to not only make it but also get to the party in time!

Congrats to you!

2008-01-08 4:11 PM

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
I am so late in reading your report, but so glad I did.  From the real Mountain Man to a desert Ice man in just a few short months.  Good for you on sticking it out on a course that today is beyond me.  Not that you ever do it again, but when you do, I may be fool enough to join you - with lots of advanced notice and training help!

2008-01-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1143285

Expert
Wandering through AZ

perkins_jerryw - 2008-01-08 3:11 PM
Not that you ever do it again, but when you do...

Wow you've gotten to know me too well

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Casa Grande to Saguaro National Park 300 km brevet Rss Feed