General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to Manage Family and Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-01-03 11:48 AM

User image

In The Adirondacks
Subject: How to Manage Family and Training
As a new triathlete and a new dad to a beautiful baby girl, I am finding it very difficult to balance both. I know you can't turn back time to re-live your child's early years and I am finding quickly that time flies by and they only get older. Before I know it, she'll be graduating from high school, in college, married, and I'll be a grand-dad. My question to all of you is, how do you manage training and family? Is training once a day ok when training for an HIM? I am looking for some experienced moms and dads who manage this everyday and possibly some ongoing support. Thanks, in advance!

2007-01-03 12:06 PM
in reply to: #640643

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: How to Manage Family and Training
Key is to make every workout count. Just don't workout to do something, rather make it have a purpose. For me, I have a 2 year old daughter (this weekend turns 2) and have son about to born sometime this month. I have become friends with 4am during the week. On the weekend my wife gives me a window to get a long workout in and vice versa she gets a long day for herself (usually shopping)
2007-01-03 12:23 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Please don't look at my training log as I haven't been healthy enough to train for about two weeks. 

So, when healthy enough, as it was mentioned, become friends with the early morning moonlight (if you run outside in the winter), or run/trainer ride after your daughter goes to bed.

Our son was one last winter and I lived on the trainer after he was down for the night.  Wife has a busier work schedule than mine and gets home late, so feed and play with the boy, he goes to sleep by 7:30p, do about 30-45 minutes of house chores, then hop on the trainer for 30-90 minute ride.  Some nights after the wife gets home, I don't get out for a run until about 9 or 9:30. 

Swimming is generally a morning workout before heading to work (on a day when my wife takes our son to daycare).  So that means the night before I prep the diaper bad with bottles and get what she needs ready.  (by helping her in those small ways, I think it's easier for her to support me by kicking me out of the house for run...or rides in the summer).

As for time flying by with your kids.  Yeah it will.  I think we blinked and our son will be two on Monday.  Also, realize that it's not about quantity time.  It's quality.  And you will be setting a good example for your child as she gets older.  When she's old enough she may even want to ride with you while you run.

If can be done and you can work it in.

Always feel free to send a PM if you have questions or need a nudge.

Ty

2007-01-03 12:24 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
A common issue--you should be able to find plenty of stories & solutions with a search.  There are a few here part way down the thread.  The short answer is that there is probably no "best" way, but lots of good ideas.  So you'll have to take a look at your specific situation and see what you can make work.
2007-01-03 12:27 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Here is what works for me:

Have a "Realistic" plan and stick to it. (Meaning no slacking on my part) Like JPB said, make every workout count.

That being said, make sure the plan is balanced and properly accounts for family time. Of course, there is always the unexpected. And when the time comes, "Family Always Comes First".

A single workout contributes such a small percentage to overall fitness: It is way more important to attend that "Ballet Class" or "Soccer Game" than to get in that one last workout.

One rule I have always followed; Let go of a missed workout. Don't try to "Make it Up" once the day has passed. Doubling up the following day will surely cause more problems than it is worth. But, reworking the schedule to pick up a lost "Key" workout is acceptable.

Early morning workouts as well as Lunchtime workouts are a good way to minimize family impact. Also helps if your gym has childcare. If not, riding the trainer or even the Treadie at home is a good alternative. (Kids need to see what you do when you are not home)

If you can commute to work on the bike, you can get some good daily mileage in without much impact. Also makes me a happier person when I get home

Good Luck
2007-01-03 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Tommy,
There are no hard and fast rules for how to incorporate both family time and workout time.  I don't know how old your daughter is, but my oldest is 11, and youngest is 16 months.  What follows is some of my plans.... methods for handling the interaction.

1. Early morning or Late Night - I personally am NOT an early bird, so I will run/bike after my kids are in bed.  That does mean there are a LOT of nights that I am running after dark.  This can be pretty hard since you will not want to eat prior to working out (well for me a hard workout an hour after eating will result in needing to eat again and cleaning up the puke.)

2.  Weekends - Long runs on a weekend, I have a child or 2 grab their bikes and be my water boy/girl.  We also own a tandem (well 2) so I will do a long ride including a child.  These are not always "fast rides" but they are (Time in the Saddle).  I'll do a 30-40 mile ride out to lunch and back.  The kids generally like doing this, and it is good time.  If your daughter is under 4 you can purchase a bugger (trailer) and during nap time take her for a spin.  That will work 2 things together as well, your WIFE will love having the time as well.

3.  Swimming - a little harder for younger kids, but my YMCA has lap lanes open nearly all the time.  So I will race my kids in laps.  I need to swim a 200, I'll race my son 150 to 200.  I need to swim a 500, swim 350 and race the final 150 to 150-100... depending on which child I am swimming.

4.  Trainers and Treadmills - I own several fluid trainers, since we are avid bikers (biking vacations for the 3 of the last 4 years.)  So I get them on their bikes and we ride together on the trainers.

I am sure there are other things I have done.  Invent ways and times to work out with your kids... jogging strollers, run while they roller blade.

I personally have elected to put off doing longer (HIM, IM) races until after my kids are older.  I have a LONG commute (45 min one way) and work fairly long hours (45-50 a week.)  so balancing between the workouts and family is a tough act.  I have thought about moving, but housing prices are reasonable where I live, and not so much where I work.  You don't say if you are only hoping to finish your HIM or place high on the AG scale.

Good luck.

2007-01-03 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Somebody on the board (hangloose, I think?) put it best, I think, which is, "you need to train on your time, not your family's time." That means different things to different people. For me, it means training at night, after my son's asleep or on weekends when he naps or is out with my wife, for others it means training at 4:30am.  And sometimes it means missing workouts because of obligations that I have to the family.  So be it.  I don't think there's any reason why, with a reasonable amount of dedication, you couldn't find ample time to train for an Oly without burdening your family at all.  I think that a HIM might be a little trickier to negotiate, especially with a new baby, but it's certainly not impossible, especially if your goal is just to finish the race and not to win your AG.  At this point, it's as much about supporting your wife as it is about being there for your daughter, so you have to decide together where the line between your time and your family's time is.

My 2 cents.  

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2007-01-03 12:36 PM
2007-01-03 12:45 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-01-03 12:56 PM

Pro
Libertyville, IL
I have learned to love the early AM workouts and wouldnt have it any other way now.  They might miss some daddy time on long weekend rides and for races, but training is kept pretty much out of the way of family life.
2007-01-03 12:57 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
What Joh Kay said and good link he put there.

Same boat bud. I've never been a morning person..........now I am and a night owl too. It's a tough but good time management class. Good luck
2007-01-03 12:58 PM

Veteran
Davis, California

My $.02:  Family first.  I am very new to this training for a triathlon thing (about 3 weeks now) and also new to this daddy thing (1 year now).  But I know that for me there is nothing more important than my time with my son and my wife.  So what I have done is forced myself to become a morning person.  I work 7-5 Tuesday - Saturday so I now get up at 4:30am and am in the pool at the local gym by 5:15.  Is it hard? Hell yeah.  But is it worth it?  H-E-L-L yeah!  I get to hang with my boy from the time I get home (most nights) at about 5:45 until he goes to sleep at about 8:30.  I then get to hang with my wife (when she's not working) until about 10:30.  I get about 6 hours of sleep a night, not optimal but enough.  In the end I'm not taking much time away from my "family time" yet I still feel like I am training enough for my goals in triathlon.  As far as the HIM, I have no idea.  Like I said I'm new to this, besides I'm only going for a sprint.

Best of luck with whatever you do and congratulations on your baby girl, being a dad (or a mom) is the best thing I know of.

2007-01-03 1:36 PM

Elite
Muskego, WI

It's already been stated, but I'll re-iterate that you can certainly get a LOT of training in without impacting your family during the early morning hours. 

Is training once a day ok when training for an HIM?

Since no one answered this, I will...YES!  I did a HIM with perhaps occasional lunch swims, and some shorter bricks in the mornings, but otherwise one sport/day.  I didn't do exceptionally well, but I survived and had fun.

2007-01-03 1:52 PM
in reply to: #640842

Pro
Libertyville, IL
morey1 - 2007-01-03 1:36 PM

It's already been stated, but I'll re-iterate that you can certainly get a LOT of training in without impacting your family during the early morning hours. 

Is training once a day ok when training for an HIM?

Since no one answered this, I will...YES!  I did a HIM with perhaps occasional lunch swims, and some shorter bricks in the mornings, but otherwise one sport/day.  I didn't do exceptionally well, but I survived and had fun.

I missed this question as well.  Did my first HIM with primarily all AM training and only 3 or 4 workouts (primarily long rides) that cut into family time.  Just tack on a run with swim or etc, etc.

2007-01-03 2:01 PM

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago

I have an 8 year old, 6 year old and 2 year old and I did an HIM last summer, so here is what I can tell you.

The morning is your friend (as others have opined).  I can't make the night time thing work because from the minute I get home until about 8:30 I'm chasing the kiddies around.  Then I clean up the kitchen from dinner and on a good night I am free and clear around 9:00 but it usually seems later.  Well, then it's go train or hang with your wife who hasn't had an adult conversation all day long...you get the point.  If I take the 5:40 a.m. train I get to my health club by 6:30, then I can squeek in two workouts and get to work close to 8:30.

Be realistic.  Don't think you can do something like this and think there is NO impact.  There will be some, but you can minimize it.  Talk about it with your wife and make trade-offs.  One of the hardest things about committing when you have a family is your workouts are hard work but this is your free time.  I can't tell you how many times I said no to friends that wanted me to do something last summer.  When the season was over my wife went on 2 girls weekends which I encouraged her to do.

Have an off day.  Look at my training calendar from May through July.  This is when I was training the hardest.  There are almost NO Saturday workouts.  This was difficult because it put more emphasis on the weekday mornings but it meant that from Friday night when I got home until Monday morning the only workout I did was a long workout early Sunday morning.  I always tried to time that so I was home in time for 9:30 mass.  Back-up the time and yes I was riding before 5:00 a.m. some mornings.

The end result was that my wife still found it a little hard, but I don't think my kids were affected in a big way at all.  We made race days family events and they really enjoyed those.  In fact, when I went to my 6 year-old's parent teacher conference and I looked at here writing log it started with a bunch of stories about attending my triathlons.  That was cool.

Having done the HIM, I plan to back off for a year now and let the youngest get a little older.  Hopefully, I will be able to do the longer distances again starting in '08. 

Hope this helps.

2007-01-03 2:46 PM

Veteran
Houston

It can be done. I've got a 4yr old and a 5 month old and I've been able to train almost everyday. Like others have stated, become friends with either the morning or night. I also use my lunch hour to put in swim time.

2007-01-03 3:12 PM

Master
West Jordan, UT

Couple thoughts to add:

1. Taking care of yourself and your fitness is not selfish!  It is your responsibilty as a Parent to make sure you are alive and healthy to raise your kids and help with the grandkids.  
  2. That being said 10+ hours a week probably is a bit selfish because you only need an hour a day to stay in great shape.   Pick shorter races if training becomes a conflict.  You can rock a sprint or olympic on an hour of training a day. 
  3. Be realistic.  As others mentioned, you probably can't work full time, raise a family, sleep and workout 20 hours a week for a big race.  
  4. Decide what your priorities are so you know what to skip when you have a "family-first" conflict.  This winter I am focusing on swim and run, so I use my bike day to make up  if I have to miss a high priority workout. 
  5. Give up your other time-wasters.   No time for TV or videogames anymore!
  6. Workout on your way to or from work and on your lunch.   If you can find somewhere on the way to or close to work, it doesn't take any extra travel time to workout.   Sometimes just drving to and from the gym can take 30mins a day!  

2007-01-03 3:12 PM

Master
I haven't read all of the replies above, so some of my advice may be redundant. Sorry if it is.

I have 4 kids - ranging in age from 4 to 11, and last year I managed to get in enough training to finish an IM. (I also had the busiest professional year of my life) The best solution I have found to the work/family dilemma is to train when you would not be with the kids anyway. For me this meant early morning (I particularly liked early morning swimming), and after the kids went to bed (usually on the trainer). I also managed to get in some shorter runs during lunch breaks from work.

The one workout that ate in to family time was the long ride. Because that had to be done during daylight hours, rides of over 40 miles usually took up some of the time I would have been with the kids on either Saturday or Sunday.

It can be done, you just have to juggle things and keep at it.

2007-01-03 3:14 PM

Master
Rochester, NY
I do my best to minimize the impact of my workouts on my family.

1) Workout at lunchtime when I'm otherwise gone anyway.

2) Bike to work instead of driving. This takes about 20 minutes more each way than driving. But I get in ~1:15 of bike riding each day I can do this. Plus it saves gas.

3) One night a week is "my" night when I swim with Masters. My wife gets another night to do whatever she wants.

Other workouts are an occasional thing. Long weekend workouts are a tough one. Early morning workouts are sometimes okay too, but since I'm a morning person and my wife is a night owl, I am normally on duty with the kids in the AM.

Some negotiation and lots of flexibility is required.

Good luck
2007-01-03 4:50 PM

Elite

from the department of redundancy department: 

oh-dark-thirty is your friend...

2007-01-03 4:52 PM

Crystal Lake, IL

Here's the quote I like that someone mentioned earlier:

Train on your time, not your family’s: basically, if you're a busy family person, the sun is up and you're not training then you're either sleeping (which is fine) or you've shifted your training to your family's time. -BT article by Rich Strauss.

obviously it is skewed toward morning time but applying it to training at night may work for you too.  I have plans to do a HIM this year and an IM next year.  I hope to do about 80-90% of the training without infringing any more than I do now on family time.  I don't know if this is doable or not, but I'm giving it a shot.

There are ways to make the training time pay off for your family too.  Example:  I go out early to train but I also pick up donuts as a treat for the kids on the weekend so they benefit from me being up early.  Try to be creative.  As your kid(s) get older if you can take them along if can give your wife some alone time.  Our gym has a great day care for that.  Sometimes I don't get to train much if I'm taking the older kids into the pool with me but it is still a worthwhile trip.  They really love going to the gym because of the things they get to do there.

2007-01-03 6:21 PM

Master
Long Island, NY

FInd a gym with Day Care.

It's not the optimum type of training, but I have to believe that running on treadmill is better than no running at all, swimming in gym pool, spin classes, yoga classes and trainer at home, has allowed me to kill multiple birds with one stone.  I get my workouts in, usually when wife is working, son (2 year old) gets socialization skills and on weekends wife gets much needed/deserved "alone" time.  I'm sure I'll be attacked for the alone time thing, but it is important.  As seen below, son also helps with upper body training:

Attachments
----------------
LucasinAir2.jpeg (22KB - 42 downloads)

2007-01-04 12:52 PM

Master
STL
From a mother's point of view...

I try my hardest not to let my training interfere with my kids (5 & 3 1/2). I do most everything in the morning. I work at 6:30, so this means getting up between 4 and 4:30 (depedning on which gym i need to hit and what i need to do) on work nights. I have everything packed-clothes, lunch, even breakfast and in my car teh night before. I even sleep in my gym clothes most of the time. It is hard, but it is worth it. I fit in strenght training sometimes on lunches if needed. On weekends, i get up at the crack of dawn.

It's worth it. I'm pooped by time the kids go to bed, but i am happy that i get to spend quality time with them as well!
2007-01-04 2:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Like the majority of folks have written, I too have subscribed to the notion that if tri's are something that I want to do, I must log the early morning workouts to not impede on family time. I personally am up at 5:15 for early runs/swims and weight train/bike 1-2 nights/week with a long ride on a early weekend day.

Another aspect of this that has not yet been addressed is the discussion around managing and communicating the cost of being involved in tri's. Gear/pool fees/race entry fees add up quickly. How do others manage this aspect of the sport within their family?
2007-01-04 3:12 PM
in reply to: #642427

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

oldpueblotriguy - 2007-01-04 2:03 PM Like the majority of folks have written, I too have subscribed to the notion that if tri's are something that I want to do, I must log the early morning workouts to not impede on family time. I personally am up at 5:15 for early runs/swims and weight train/bike 1-2 nights/week with a long ride on a early weekend day. Another aspect of this that has not yet been addressed is the discussion around managing and communicating the cost of being involved in tri's. Gear/pool fees/race entry fees add up quickly. How do others manage this aspect of the sport within their family?

Kind of the same way I manage the time.  I spend "my" money, not my family's.  I've made it clear to everyone that tri-related stuff is what I want for xmas/birthday gifts, and most of the stuff I've gotten has been from presents.  I set aside money from my weekly personal budget to spend on other stuff. I umpired in a local softball league in return for a free gym membership.  I try to limit myself to smaller, local races that won't cost much in terms of entry fees or travel. The one exception is LoneStar, but since my parents live in Galveston, they're so excited to have their grandson visit them that they're gladly paying part of the costs, and we're extending it into a long weekend with them. 

2007-01-04 4:02 PM

, Texas
Here is what I do. I have a stay-at-home wife and 2 kids (2 & 6). I've also found that I can get by on 6-7 hours of sleep rather than the 8-10 I got when I was a couch potato. I believe this is key for me.

Run - usually at night after my kids are asleep. I usually start at 9-9:30. I will also run sometimes at lunch, but I have it good in that I walk out the door at work and jog 1/2 mile to a wooded (cement) trail and have showers at work. In the summer though, I will occasionally get into a 6am run schedule. I also get my long run in at night.

Bike - Just about all of my biking is commuting to work (30-35 mi round trip) or in the garage on the trainer at night. It takes me right at 2 hours to commute vs. the 1 hour I would be spending in the car, but I work through lunch so the time I leave and return from work is the same as when I drive. The downside is that I really have ever done any long rides (less than 10 ever over 20 miles), but I'm really satisfied with my performance in my bike leg of races. If I feel that I need more long rides, I'll wake up earlier and add it to my morning commute. I absolutely love commuting and I fully believe that if it weren't for commuting, I would not have continued with triathlons as I would not have much time for riding.

Swim - More than not, at lunch. This is usually what I drop since it's the least convenient. If I could get up early, I'd swim more.

Here are a few rules I try not to break:
  • Help get the 6 yr old up and to school 2-3 times a week
  • Keep at least 3 nights per week workout free
  • The weekends are about the family - no workouts that don't involve the kids (bike trailer, jogging stroller) while they are awake.

My gym has a wonderful "child's center". Most of the time, they like to go and I'll swim laps, then we all go swimming at the family pool.

As far as money goes, I started in '05 with a '87 Schwinn road bike I got from a co-worker for $40. In mid '06, I found a '95 Klein tri bike for <$400 and that is what I ride most now. I've hit the clearance sections from sbrshop.com, all3sports.com, performance bike, and nashbar and haven't paid more than $20 each for any of my bike shorts, tri shorts, tri top and even got some shoes& pedals (both half off) for my bike for $80 delivered.

I also tally up the money I save by commuting and use that money for extra stuff and race entry fees.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to Manage Family and Training Rss Feed  

of 2