BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 230

2009-12-15 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2555972

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED

I like pictures... Always feel free to post them here... Family, Bikes, yourself, outdoor activity etc...

I think we have a swbkrun mg website somewhere... No clue how to find it though. 

2009-12-15 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
I have found the last 2 years of triathlon training have made me very hungry....all of the time.  I graze like a cow all day but on healthy food.  I have no weight problems and I do make good choices.  I just eat and eat!
2009-12-15 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Thanks for the input everyone. I will continue with my walk/run program. It wasn't hurting per se, it just...well....as I said I am bouncing around quite a bit and it's embarrassing. I also became a bit paranoid when I read where you should wait to run until you've lost a lot of your excess weight. The strange thing is, I think a lot of my weight is muscle because I've exercised consistently for years....I have huge thighs that are as hard as rocks. Eliptical machine and cycling to thank for that. My fat is mostly stored in my butt and boobs...with a little bit around the middle, too.

I'm still kicking around what eating plan to go with. I did WW a few years ago and had marginal success, but then again I wasn't training for a marathon, either. Best weight loss I've ever had is with Body for Life eating plan. I'll go to the weight loss forum and get feedback there.

Again, thanks everyone! You are all so kind!

Trina
2009-12-15 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2559979

User image

Master
sdalessio - 2009-12-15 11:35 AM
kickitinok - 2009-12-15 10:18 AM Hey everyone - I have nothing to add to the present conversation because I'm a true "beginner." However, I do HAVE to listen to my ipod when spinning. Anything else and I get bored.

I have a question for all you experts: I've been reading a lot about delaying the running portion of your training program if you have a lot of weight to lose. I am kind of feeling not too comfortable while running (jogging) right now, as I've currently got a lot of junk bouncing around (lol!), and I certainly don't want to injure myself!! I have 50lbs to lose. What do you guys think would be the best approach for me regarding the run? Should I concentrate on my swim, bike, and diet right now then add running in the last 8-10 weeks of my training program? Is that enough time? (Training for a sprint only)

Also, I neeeeeeed a good diet plan. If I'm going to delay my running training, I need to make sure that I lose weight in the interim. Will the increased swimming and cycling be enough, or do I need to make sure I'm on a strict diet also? If so, anyone have ideas on diets?

On that note: I've lost 3 pounds since last week!

I would check out Jeff Galloway's run/walk programs.  His programs tend to be easier on the body.  I have a friend who has a bum knee and stress fracture issues but still uses his methods even on race day and her 1/2 marathon PR under 2 hrs.

x2 on Galloway. I followed his plans very closely and the summer my daughter turned 1 (and I had a 3-year-old at home too), I ran 3 marathons. Needless to say, with two babes, running was my therapy and the one thing I did for me. So I did it a lot (often pushing the double-jogger)!

Several years later I have still come back to Galloway as a way to train injury-free (I'm 42 -- much as I hate to admit, I'm not getting any younger... BUT I AM CONTINUALLY GETTING FASTER!!!)... And also a way to train without taxing myself too much, so I can do a 22-mile run and still have energy for the fam.

Run/walk is a great way to build up distance, endurance, strength, etc. You can start from anywhere (i.e. no running at all) and build up slowly.
2009-12-15 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: Swim Caps
Okay, I've bought two swimsuits, specifically for doing laps. I was going to use my old one, but it's a beach type and way too big. :-)

Now, swim caps - should I go for latex or silicone? I've heard that silicone is much better than latex. I've heard otherwise. So...what do you think?   I basically really want to try to keep my hair "dry" because my hair gets so brittle and very dry when it's in pool water.   I haven't done any races, so unfortunately, I never get any "freebies". :-(

2009-12-15 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2560310

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Swim Caps
Hi there... I'll chime in: I prefer the silicone caps since they're a little more heavy-duty and last longer. I feel like the latex can tear more easily. I don't have long hair, but for the ladies (and Birdy back in his college days), I would imagine that the silicone would be a bit easier to put on/take off.

2009-12-15 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
CyborgQueen - 2009-12-15 1:20 PM Okay, I've bought two swimsuits, specifically for doing laps. I was going to use my old one, but it's a beach type and way too big. :-)

Now, swim caps - should I go for latex or silicone? I've heard that silicone is much better than latex. I've heard otherwise. So...what do you think?   I basically really want to try to keep my hair "dry" because my hair gets so brittle and very dry when it's in pool water.   I haven't done any races, so unfortunately, I never get any "freebies". :-(

If you love your hair, you DON'T want the freebies.  These are my favorite swim caps.  I spend a lot on my hair and the last thing I want a cap to do is break it down.  More expensive, but worth it to me. 
2009-12-15 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2560319

User image

Champion
ryanp100 - 2009-12-15 1:24 PM Hi there... I'll chime in: I prefer the silicone caps since they're a little more heavy-duty and last longer. I feel like the latex can tear more easily. I don't have long hair, but for the ladies (and Birdy back in his college days), I would imagine that the silicone would be a bit easier to put on/take off.

Must be because you process your hair alot, right Ryan?
2009-12-15 1:41 PM

User image

I'll chime in...I'm no expert, but I do have a swimming background...........

Silicone caps are easier to put on (they don't pull your hair), will last longer, and are more expensive. 
But, bottom line,  both of the caps - latex and silicone - do the same thing.  Neither one can boast to
"keeping your hair dryer than the other".

Edited to add...My hairdresser keeps encouraging me to put a little conditioner on my hair before I swim.
Haven't done it, but it's an interesting suggestion.

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-12-15 1:43 PM
2009-12-15 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2560336

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-12-15 1:31 PM
CyborgQueen - 2009-12-15 1:20 PM Okay, I've bought two swimsuits, specifically for doing laps. I was going to use my old one, but it's a beach type and way too big. :-)

If you love your hair, you DON'T want the freebies.  These are my favorite swim caps.  I spend a lot on my hair and the last thing I want a cap to do is break it down.  More expensive, but worth it to me. 

fitting

i use latex (freebies) but don't care about my hair. if you got this route throw some baby powder in the thing once in a while.  your hair won't stick when you pull it off.  and i'm sure its coincidence but the only time i got an ear infection was when i used a silicone cap.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-15 1:49 PM
2009-12-15 1:44 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: Gloat
I just came back from lunch where I was give an awesome holiday gift: a $300 gift certificate to Inside-Out Sports! For those that may not have heard of them, they are one of the nations premier tri-stores and have a store here in Cary NC. I am sooo Stoked! My MIL also got me a $30 one so now I have to figure out what to get. YES!!!

Doug

Edited by DougRob 2009-12-15 1:45 PM

2009-12-15 1:51 PM

User image

Doug, awesome gift.  I just had lunch at Stonewood (next to IOS). 
Hubby asked if I wanted to go in and browse.  No way,  can't just browse there...sure could have used your gift card 
2009-12-15 1:52 PM

New user
Long Beach--So Cal!!!
I have longish hair and love silicon swim caps. Should anyone else have a freakishly small head, like myself, they do make them in child size in a variety of colors. I religiously apply conditioner before getting in the pool unless I am doing some type of odd brick workout, where I don't have the time... After showering off, I apply Moroccan oil to my hair and it seems to help with the brittleness from the chlorine...

Thanks to the energy here, my butt was planted on my trainer for 2 days now. I will read, watch tv, FB--and my latest fav, do interval training with youtube videos. Time when they are on--I push, when searching, its easy time... I do like having a mirror so I can periodically check form and remind myself that I train, so I can feel great!

Does anyone have any idea of calorie trackers that would allow you to put weight on? I am a walking garbage disposal, eating every 45 minutes--but am having problems putting on muscle mass and getting the benefits of the associated power from it...

In terms of uploading workouts to the logs--I have a Garmin 305 that I upload to the Garmin Training center, is there a method for batch uploading it in one shot? Also, I only really use the Garmin for my runs--for biking or swimming should I manually enter time and ballpark distances?

Thanks all--this is going to flipping rock!
2009-12-15 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2560369

User image

fattyfatfat - 2009-12-15 2:43 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-12-15 1:31 PM

fitting

i use latex (freebies) but don't care about my hair. if you got this route throw some baby powder in the thing once in a while.  your hair won't stick when you pull it off.  and i'm sure its coincidence but the only time i got an ear infection was when i used a silicone cap.

Baby powder is a good suggestion.  Also, when taking the cap off do it under water...either in the pool or in the shower.
2009-12-15 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2559823

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
DougRob - 2009-12-15 11:53 AM Hey George: Happy B-day. I lived in Rochester a Loooong time ago and went to RPI in Troy, NY undergrad. I do NOT miss lake-effect snow!

I am a skiier so lake effect snow works for me!  Hope to get out and ski on Sunday...skiing tends to bet the bulk of my weekend work outs in Jan and Feb!
2009-12-15 1:55 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I am running out of hair so the cap does not really matter. Can I just paint my head the color of my wave's cap?

2009-12-15 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2560360

User image

Champion
Havin'Fun - 2009-12-15 1:41 PM I'll chime in...I'm no expert, but I do have a swimming background...........

Silicone caps are easier to put on (they don't pull your hair), will last longer, and are more expensive. 
But, bottom line,  both of the caps - latex and silicone - do the same thing.  Neither one can boast to
"keeping your hair dryer than the other".

Edited to add...My hairdresser keeps encouraging me to put a little conditioner on my hair before I swim.
Haven't done it, but it's an interesting suggestion.

DONT DO IT!  I put conditioner on my head before my very first swimming lesson with some 23 year old hottie and I spent the entire time trying to get it to stay on my head because the conditioner was slippery.  For full effect picture this, I arrive for my lesson and can't see much because I am not wearing my contacts but I know my instructor is the buff young guy because we are the only two in the pool area,  my cap keep slipping, I am wearing a nose plug and I make him start in the shallow end because I am afraid to put my face in the water....I am sure it provided some good humor at the Union that night......TG that was nearly three years ago and I have progressed a little since then.
2009-12-15 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
2009-12-15 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2560413

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
DougRob - 2009-12-15 2:55 PM I am running out of hair so the cap does not really matter. Can I just paint my head the color of my wave's cap?

Yep, me too, would just be easier I think.
2009-12-15 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2560140

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

kickitinok - 2009-12-15 12:27 PM Thanks for the input everyone. I will continue with my walk/run program. It wasn't hurting per se, it just...well....as I said I am bouncing around quite a bit and it's embarrassing. I also became a bit paranoid when I read where you should wait to run until you've lost a lot of your excess weight. The strange thing is, I think a lot of my weight is muscle because I've exercised consistently for years....I have huge thighs that are as hard as rocks. Eliptical machine and cycling to thank for that. My fat is mostly stored in my butt and boobs...with a little bit around the middle, too.

I'm still kicking around what eating plan to go with. I did WW a few years ago and had marginal success, but then again I wasn't training for a marathon, either. Best weight loss I've ever had is with Body for Life eating plan. I'll go to the weight loss forum and get feedback there.

Again, thanks everyone! You are all so kind!

Trina

Don't worry about that "bouncing" - if you get self conscious about it just remember that there are tons (literally) of other people in OKC who have surrendered to the bounce - if you don't believe drive out to Crossroads Mall or the local Wal-Mart.  All I can think when I see bigger people out exercising is "good for them!"  Maybe its a function of getting older or something -but I came to the point where I say screw what other people think

2009-12-15 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2559931

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
ashort33 - 2009-12-15 10:19 AM

DougRob - 2009-12-15 10:48 AM
kickitinok - 2009-12-15 11:18 AM Hey everyone - I have nothing to add to the present conversation because I'm a true "beginner." However, I do HAVE to listen to my ipod when spinning. Anything else and I get bored.

I have a question for all you experts: I've been reading a lot about delaying the running portion of your training program if you have a lot of weight to lose. I am kind of feeling not too comfortable while running (jogging) right now, as I've currently got a lot of junk bouncing around (lol!), and I certainly don't want to injure myself!! I have 50lbs to lose. What do you guys think would be the best approach for me regarding the run? Should I concentrate on my swim, bike, and diet right now then add running in the last 8-10 weeks of my training program? Is that enough time? (Training for a sprint only)

I would NOT delay running due to weight. I find that nothing brings down weight more than running. It does NOT have to intense. LSD (long slow distance) works and will help you build your base. Run/wlak if you have to until you can run the entire time. With biking and running build slowly. Many injuries are caused by overdoing it.

Also, I neeeeeeed a good diet plan. If I'm going to delay my running training, I need to make sure that I lose weight in the interim. Will the increased swimming and cycling be enough, or do I need to make sure I'm on a strict diet also? If so, anyone have ideas on diets?

I have used Weight Watchers and lost 85 lbs on it in just under a year. It teaches you when to eat and what to eat first as well as how to balance your foods and most of all to track what you eat. It works for me but I am not being paid by them to say this. Laughing

Doug

x2 On Doug's response - go with a walk - jog program.  The ratio is not all that important - you can walk 3-5 min and jog 1 min for 20 min or so to start.  Just try to start making small improvement each week.  If you can get 1% better everyday then in 3 months you are almost 100% better...  Also, go find someone to give you a little training in proper running form - most people run wrong (heel strike) which puts a lot of extra stress on the body...

Andy

Here is an example of the fun we have in this group..................................
Technically if you improve 1% every day(with compounding) you would be 100% faster in 70 days....
Love ya Andy

2009-12-15 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2560338

User image

Veteran
SSMinnow - 2009-12-15 11:32 AM

ryanp100 - 2009-12-15 1:24 PM Hi there... I'll chime in: I prefer the silicone caps since they're a little more heavy-duty and last longer. I feel like the latex can tear more easily. I don't have long hair, but for the ladies (and Birdy back in his college days), I would imagine that the silicone would be a bit easier to put on/take off.

Must be because you process your hair alot, right Ryan?

Ha! And if by process, you mean when I'll get all fancy-like and use a two-in-one conditioner and shampoo...

On another note, I'm supposed to meet Birdy for a "swim" (yep, there's a reason that's in quotes...) in a couple of hours. This is not going to be good for my ego.

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Um - I have the natural swim cap   I have used both and have not found a difference in my world...

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Started my plan yesterday. By all accounts....I slacked off big time the last few weeks. The off-season we'll call it.
I ran at lunch today for the 1st time since Nov 25. 5km's - felt like 25km. Wow.
One thing I really need to work on is the mental part of training. I know that I shouldn't be able to run like I did back in the summer. but wow starting back up again sucks when you know how fast you could run in the summer.

2009-12-15 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2560403

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
workerbee - 2009-12-15 12:52 PM I have longish hair and love silicon swim caps. Should anyone else have a freakishly small head, like myself, they do make them in child size in a variety of colors. I religiously apply conditioner before getting in the pool unless I am doing some type of odd brick workout, where I don't have the time... After showering off, I apply Moroccan oil to my hair and it seems to help with the brittleness from the chlorine...

Thanks to the energy here, my butt was planted on my trainer for 2 days now. I will read, watch tv, FB--and my latest fav, do interval training with youtube videos. Time when they are on--I push, when searching, its easy time... I do like having a mirror so I can periodically check form and remind myself that I train, so I can feel great!

Does anyone have any idea of calorie trackers that would allow you to put weight on? I am a walking garbage disposal, eating every 45 minutes--but am having problems putting on muscle mass and getting the benefits of the associated power from it...

In terms of uploading workouts to the logs--I have a Garmin 305 that I upload to the Garmin Training center, is there a method for batch uploading it in one shot? Also, I only really use the Garmin for my runs--for biking or swimming should I manually enter time and ballpark distances?

Thanks all--this is going to flipping rock!

If you are concerned about distance get a garmin cadense sensor and throw it on the bike. ( I have one. I like tracking time and distance. Although trainer miles are so different than road miles.)
If you have a 305 wear your HRM and that should help with calories burnt,etc,etc.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 230