BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-10-13 6:17 AM
in reply to: #3148850

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
SSMinnow - 2010-10-13 6:20 AM Quick!  Check your calendar...if racing is on it, tell us all about the fun you are planning to have!!!!

good lucks racers!!!   i just might be, a 5 mile road race saturday morning close to the house.  gonna take it easy and crush beer at the end because i can walk home.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-10-13 6:51 AM

2010-10-13 6:31 AM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Master
Maryland
Marathon coming up!
2010-10-13 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3148357

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

CyborgQueen - 2010-10-12 7:28 PM Lastly - if anyone is very interested in any shows in Vegas, please let me know...I can get you local discounts. ;-)

I highly recommend Jubuliee. Very classic...and I saw them naked. Ooh yeah.  I've lived here for over 2 years, and I've YET seen any Cirque de Solie show. lol.  

Didn't the other people in the audience mind you being naked ??

2010-10-13 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

SSMinnow - 2010-10-13 6:20 AM Quick!  Check your calendar...if racing is on it, tell us all about the fun you are planning to have!!!!

No racing here. Just fall training and starting to get my run distance back up. Thinking about swimming but the club will start swimming in Nov again so might just wait until then. Too much of a wuss to ride outside these days. quite cool. Will be closing the pool this weekend. checked yesterday and the temp was about 56 F. Not looking forward to climbing in the pool to take the stairs out.

Suzy if you're looking for a small dog check out the Havanese. They are supposed to be a good hypo allergenic breed.

2010-10-13 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

No racing here.  Taking the red eye home Friday night, family is picking me up and we are spending the night at our cabin.  Fall picnic at the mountain where we ski so lots of food, friends, and fun.

Good luck racers!!!
2010-10-13 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3148052

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
trying1 - 2010-10-12 4:36 PM Ok I'm pretty sore.  I'm not sure how you guys can run such long distances during and after races or just running so long.  I did a long run during lunch to gauge my run fitness to see what type of training I need to do for the HIM I want to do next year.   Proud to say I completed 2 complete loops around Central Park and only stopped for 20 sec or so to down a gel and drink water at a fountain.  Time was just under 2 hrs and 2 min for 12.65 ish miles.  A PR for me in distance by more than 4 miles (i think).  The first 8-9 miles I felt great, no fatigue and I was thinking I'll have no problems finishing.  At mile 10 or so my body started to break down a bit.  My quads felt sore but then they just felt rubbery.  I thought I was maintaining my 9 min ish pace but i was only going maybe 10-11min pace.  I also thought my HR was at it's normal 165-168ish bpm but noticed at several points it shot up to 189bpm.  I have a lot to learn about running this distance and pacing.  My knees and pf are sore too so I'm pretty sure my running form was way off at the end of the run as well.  Today was definitely a good learning experience for me.  Good thing is I know I can run over 12miles on a semi hilly course, but now I know i have a lot of training to do if I want to run this distance after a long bike and swim..

Few pages back but still a great job on the run!!   My first stetch of the distance resulted in the same feeling.  Go for a short, easy bike ride tomorrow to flush out those thighs. It really helps.   And keep plugging away at those speed drills and medium distance runs so when you attempt the distance again you'll be amazed at the difference.  That was the biggest lesson learned from this season.  Lots of drills and shorter runs do more for your running capabilities than just doing the distance runs to make sure you can do the distance.  Volume is good when done properly.  

2010-10-13 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

This is my 2 cents on the marathon vs IM thing, and I realize I am in the minority on this one and that’s okay.

First and foremost I would never describe myself as a runner.  I don’t like to run enough to push myself to race a stand alone marathon.  Anything above 13.1 miles just screams injury to me.  I have fixed what was wrong with my running that caused the injury but still…..

Second I don’t want to get burned out on training before I start IM training. Since I don't like running long distances enough to enjoy the training it would become just one more thing I have to do and I’d never get a break.

Third, I agree with John on this one.  Personally 26.2 miles on its own does not compare to 26.2 at the end of the swim/bike.  For me the IM is the goal, not the marathon.  I have total trust in my coach to prepare me to complete that journey so doing a marathon on its own won’t change the task I’ve set for myself.   My mental battle will be to finish strong and according to plan, not just to finish.  I NEVER want to be back at the stage where the only way I can finish is to walk in the final 6 miles.  THAT SUCKED and in my mind that is the same as just completing the distance.  I need to know I can meet my goals with strength, not complete the distance.  I guess its just mincing words but that is my way of thinking.    

So I guess my first marathon will be at the IMCA finishline!!!

2010-10-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3149332

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
tahrens - 2010-10-13 7:25 AM

This is my 2 cents on the marathon vs IM thing, and I realize I am in the minority on this one and that’s okay.

First and foremost I would never describe myself as a runner.  I don’t like to run enough to push myself to race a stand alone marathon.  Anything above 13.1 miles just screams injury to me.  I have fixed what was wrong with my running that caused the injury but still…..

Second I don’t want to get burned out on training before I start IM training. Since I don't like running long distances enough to enjoy the training it would become just one more thing I have to do and I’d never get a break.

Third, I agree with John on this one.  Personally 26.2 miles on its own does not compare to 26.2 at the end of the swim/bike.  For me the IM is the goal, not the marathon.  I have total trust in my coach to prepare me to complete that journey so doing a marathon on its own won’t change the task I’ve set for myself.   My mental battle will be to finish strong and according to plan, not just to finish.  I NEVER want to be back at the stage where the only way I can finish is to walk in the final 6 miles.  THAT SUCKED and in my mind that is the same as just completing the distance.  I need to know I can meet my goals with strength, not complete the distance.  I guess its just mincing words but that is my way of thinking.    

This is ok.  Julie Dieben's just did this in Hawaii.  I know that this is a different breed of athlete, but she said was terrified of having never run a marathon, and the fear of the unknown, but like you she had faith in her coach!

I liked the fact that I had knocked a marathon out before hand... It really helped me get through that "fear of the unknown."
2010-10-13 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3148910

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Terps421 - 2010-10-13 4:31 AM Marathon coming up!

Just like that?!  Oh I have a marathon...  GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Edited by swbkrun 2010-10-13 11:55 AM
2010-10-13 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3149750

User image

Champion
marietta
swbkrun - 2010-10-13 12:38 PM
tahrens - 2010-10-13 7:25 AM

This is ok.  Julie Dieben's just did this in Hawaii.  I know that this is a different breed of athlete, but she said was terrified of having never run a marathon, and the fear of the unknown, but like you she had faith in her coach!

I liked the fact that I had knocked a marathon out before hand... It really helped me get through that "fear of the unknown."

and mirinda did it last year, laying down a course record (run) in the process.   different breed, for sure.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-10-13 12:00 PM
2010-10-13 12:11 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
where is your avatar fatty?

2010-10-13 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3149829

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2010-10-13 1:11 PM where is your avatar fatty?

i deleted the old one when screwing with barry yesterday.  now i gotta find a new one.  or i might just stay terps for a while!
2010-10-13 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3149889

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-13 10:39 AM

i deleted the old one when screwing with barry yesterday.  now i gotta find a new one.  or i might just stay terps for a while!

Why, were you trying to make Jacy's picture fuzzy somehow??? 
2010-10-13 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3149989

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2010-10-13 2:22 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-13 10:39 AM

Why, were you trying to make Jacy's picture fuzzy somehow??? 

ha!
2010-10-13 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3149889

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-13 12:39 PM

Now why would you be screwing with me???  Oh, I bet you were going to blurrrr yours out.
2010-10-13 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3149332

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
tahrens - 2010-10-13 10:25 AM

The highlighted part became a big thing for me especially later into my training.  By the end, I just wanted the race to be here.  I was tired of sitting on my bike for 6+ hours, staring at the black line in the pool for 1 1/2 hrs and running for 3 hours.  For me, it just got old.  I was officially burned out.  There is no way I would have made it if I had done full marathon early in the season. 

Even though I ended up having to walk most of the run, it wasn't because I didn't prepare properly.  I never felt like I could not complete the marathon - even though the BT Beginner plan calls for the longest run being 2.5 hrs early in the day then another 30 min. late in the day.  For me, it ended up being 18 miles - once, but still had no doubts.  I originally thought about doing a marathon in February instead of a half but then started thinking ... why?  I know I can do it.  Why run the risk of injury?  If I had doubts, I may reconsider. 

The reason for me doing another IM is because my legs felt great at the end of the bike but my stomach prevented me from running so I still have that "what if" in my head.  What if my stomach was fine?? 

2010-10-13 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3150390

User image

Master
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-10-13 1:55 PM

The highlighted part became a big thing for me especially later into my training.  By the end, I just wanted the race to be here.  I was tired of sitting on my bike for 6+ hours, staring at the black line in the pool for 1 1/2 hrs and running for 3 hours.  For me, it just got old.  I was officially burned out.  There is no way I would have made it if I had done full marathon early in the season. 

Even though I ended up having to walk most of the run, it wasn't because I didn't prepare properly.  I never felt like I could not complete the marathon - even though the BT Beginner plan calls for the longest run being 2.5 hrs early in the day then another 30 min. late in the day.  For me, it ended up being 18 miles - once, but still had no doubts.  I originally thought about doing a marathon in February instead of a half but then started thinking ... why?  I know I can do it.  Why run the risk of injury?  If I had doubts, I may reconsider. 

The reason for me doing another IM is because my legs felt great at the end of the bike but my stomach prevented me from running so I still have that "what if" in my head.  What if my stomach was fine?? 

Totally x2!!! At the end of my IM training I described myself as BORED. Just bored. It's not that things hurt or were hard or anything like that, I was just sort-of over it and ready to move on. Good thing it didn't happen until 2-3 weeks until the end. I'm sure that feeling is very typical.

And I'm x2 on the "my legs felt fine but not my stomach." I was barely sore the next day. (I'm still more sore today after my run on Sunday than I was post-IM!) That's one reason I'm going back. Cuz I left something out there with my pile of Infinit at mile 4 on the run. Gotta pick it all up and carry it to the finish line, only faster (I hope)!!!!
2010-10-13 7:21 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
T1 1:43     T2 1:58

pretty good.  but i have an email in to macca.  clearly there's room for improvement. 

amazing!
2010-10-13 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3150390

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-10-13 3:55 PM

Any maybe just a little because IM LOU ran out of water on the bike course!!!  REVENGE will be yours...only wish you were doing it on MY course
2010-10-13 7:56 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hey MG. Back in the USA in time for my 14th anniversary today! Just made it in time, but I am worn out from the travel. Isn't the 14th supposed to be SRAM? 15th is DI 2 right? Wink
2010-10-13 8:00 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
happy anniversary man!  and welcome home!

2010-10-13 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3150807

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
SSMinnow - 2010-10-13 8:25 PM

Any maybe just a little because IM LOU ran out of water on the bike course!!!  REVENGE will be yours...only wish you were doing it on MY course

Welcome home and Happy Anniversary Doug! 

Suzy, I had a hard enough time convincing my wife to go as far north as Kentucky.  If she ever made the trip to Wisconsin, I would be indebted for life!
2010-10-13 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3150917

User image

Champion
marietta
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-10-13 9:08 PM

Suzy, I had a hard enough time convincing my wife to go as far north as Kentucky.  If she ever made the trip to Wisconsin, I would be indebted for life!

but your wife has no problem heading south to the islands.  pffffftttt. 

edit.. FOUND IT!  how is this different than the land of cheese?????

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-10-13 8:24 PM
2010-10-13 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3150946

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
fattyfatfat - 2010-10-13 9:20 PM
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-10-13 9:08 PM

but your wife has no problem heading south to the islands.  pffffftttt. 

edit.. FOUND IT!  how is this different than the land of cheese?????

Damn John, you're good!  There is only a slight difference.  It's barely noticeable.  She did mention the St. Croix 70.3 though.  Hmmmm...  It's only about a 30 minute flight from where we were.  Now you've got me thinking... Knoxville, TN or Tortola, BVI... 

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2010-10-13 9:05 PM
2010-10-14 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3150888

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
DougRob - 2010-10-13 7:56 PM Hey MG. Back in the USA in time for my 14th anniversary today! Just made it in time, but I am worn out from the travel. Isn't the 14th supposed to be SRAM? 15th is DI 2 right? Wink

Happy Anniversary Doug!  I think you'd have to ask Tony about the gifts.  ;-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81