BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-12-31 9:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors - OPEN to all kinds!

Originally posted by fortissimo Okay, let's see if I can post my bike pic: First pic is of the bike I came down the stairs to one morning. My husband and coach snuck behind my back and built it for me. Jerks. . The second pic is of the cat taking a bath while I'm doing a 2 hour trainer ride .

No saddle AND a kitteh on the aero bars. Wow you ARE hard core

Edited by rrrunner 2014-12-31 9:14 AM

2014-12-31 9:14 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Since the sun has finally emerged from what seemed to have been days upon days of eternal grey blah, I'm thinking it may be a great day to take my girl, Frieda Marie Felt, for her first spin (a short one) since October. Also, since I didn't run yesterday, and only have to run 3-4 miles today, may as well make it a brick, right?

She's been getting a little antsy as she was pretty neglected in 2014 compared to 2013. She's a 2010 model, so spent a couple years hanging out in the bike shop waiting for me to come along. She's made me cry a couple time, but I still love her.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-12-31 9:17 AM

(Frieda Marie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Frieda Marie.jpg (65KB - 5 downloads)
2014-12-31 9:16 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by glfprncs Since the sun has finally emerged from what seemed to have been days upon days of eternal grey blah, I'm thinking it may be a great day to take my girl, Frieda Marie Felt, for her first spin (a short one) since October. Also, since I didn't run yesterday, and only have to run 3-4 miles today, may as well make it a brick, right?

Sounds like a great training day!

I ride a Felt as well. Her name is Fi, short for Fiona.

2014-12-31 9:40 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Whew, we are off to a flying start!!

Jo and Jonathan, welcome back!  Jo, DOOOOO EEEEET!!  Jonathan, glad the hammy is healing, the baby's doing well, and good luck with the new business venture.  Don't forget to post your bios, you two.

Robin and Nancy, suh-WEET rides you've got there.  And Robin, your kitty's pretty cute too.  Kinda balances out the warm-cat-in-lap inertia to know that you'll still have company when you're on the drainer, huh?

Salty, you're gonna have to set a new body composition goal.  You're obviously already a lean beast woman.  Yowza!!

Tom, good call to skip the race on your friend's wedding day.  The race will be there next year, the wedding won't.  Think your knee will be up for the challenge of all those races?

For everybody, last call for the Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem.  It starts tomorrow so if you want to play, now's your chance to join up.  Rules are on the first page.  I won't be checking logs until after 6 p.m. Mountain Time tomorrow so you have until then to let me know that you're in.

Lastly, Stacey, I saw this on dogshaming.com and totally thought of you!

That is not a Mastiff crawl space

P1140703

My 6 year old Neapolitan Mastiff, Poe, decided it would be a good idea to carve out my crawl space vent and squeeze herself through the hole to hang out in the insulation under the house. She then could not liberate herself from under the house and required rescue. . . in the middle of the night.

Sign says:
“I punched out the crawl space vent and climbed inside to cuddle the insulation. . . then I couldn’t get out and mom had to rescue me.”

2014-12-31 9:46 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by glfprncs Since the sun has finally emerged from what seemed to have been days upon days of eternal grey blah, I'm thinking it may be a great day to take my girl, Frieda Marie Felt, for her first spin (a short one) since October. Also, since I didn't run yesterday, and only have to run 3-4 miles today, may as well make it a brick, right?

Sounds like a great training day!

I ride a Felt as well. Her name is Fi, short for Fiona.

The sun has come out over here as well, but the temps have dropped to like 4 degrees. Not quite riding weather.

2014-12-31 9:53 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by glfprncs Since the sun has finally emerged from what seemed to have been days upon days of eternal grey blah, I'm thinking it may be a great day to take my girl, Frieda Marie Felt, for her first spin (a short one) since October. Also, since I didn't run yesterday, and only have to run 3-4 miles today, may as well make it a brick, right? She's been getting a little antsy as she was pretty neglected in 2014 compared to 2013. She's a 2010 model, so spent a couple years hanging out in the bike shop waiting for me to come along. She's made me cry a couple time, but I still love her.

Nice ride...LOVE the white/black color scheme. 

2014-12-31 9:54 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Is there room for one more?

I promise to behave (mostly)

Troy
2014-12-31 10:01 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

As I mentioned in my bio, my 12 YO daughter is a year-round swimmer and is pretty decent (as in "it's cool that she swims and does pretty well, but don't spend the college fund just yet ).  With Christmas vacation being two full weeks this year, she has spent the two weekends at various grandparents' houses so has missed a boatload of practices right before the meets she has this weekend and next.  So, on to yesterday and today...

We're trying to get her caught up a bit so she's swimming with me (which we do about once a week - it's her easy day LOL).  During yesterday's session, I'm doing 50M pull/paddles coming in at like :45ish, which is pretty quick for me.  She's swimming behind me, doing a kick set, AND GAINING ON ME.  So, she's doing kick sets at about 1:15/100y pace.  <facepalm>.  Then this morning, we're doing longer intervals I have to do 150s to keep pace with her 200s. 

Totally humbling.  :-/ 

(Just for the record, I can TOTALLY smoke her on the bike and running, so there! ).

2014-12-31 10:04 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Boooooom, just crossed 3,000 miles run this year. Just in time, too! And no, I didn't really plan that!

Beast Mode!

3000 miles?

That's it?

Wait ... THAT WASN'T ON A MOTORCYCLE?!

Hot damn, Salty. Hot damn

Yeah how about it?

My cycling goal for the year is to ride farther than Adrienne runs.  :-/

2014-12-31 10:15 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Well, I've decided to do the half IM plan from this here site, starting next Monday. It actually works out perfect for my April 26th race date!

Today I'm going to do an easy 7 mile run.

Ok, something I need help with. I just got a bike on Sunday (2012 Fuji Aloha), just been doing spin classes up to this point. Other than one water bottle cage, it came with no accessories. I need to get a helmet obviously, but does anybody have a good list of essentials that I should buy for the bike? Thanks!
2014-12-31 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

As I mentioned in my bio, my 12 YO daughter is a year-round swimmer and is pretty decent (as in "it's cool that she swims and does pretty well, but don't spend the college fund just yet ).  With Christmas vacation being two full weeks this year, she has spent the two weekends at various grandparents' houses so has missed a boatload of practices right before the meets she has this weekend and next.  So, on to yesterday and today...

We're trying to get her caught up a bit so she's swimming with me (which we do about once a week - it's her easy day LOL).  During yesterday's session, I'm doing 50M pull/paddles coming in at like :45ish, which is pretty quick for me.  She's swimming behind me, doing a kick set, AND GAINING ON ME.  So, she's doing kick sets at about 1:15/100y pace.  .  Then this morning, we're doing longer intervals I have to do 150s to keep pace with her 200s. 

Totally humbling.  :-/ 

(Just for the record, I can TOTALLY smoke her on the bike and running, so there! ).

That's awesome that she's such a fishie!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 24yo son who smokes me on the run, but I can beat him in the swim and bike

2014-12-31 10:25 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Jet Black Well, I've decided to do the half IM plan from this here site, starting next Monday. It actually works out perfect for my April 26th race date! Today I'm going to do an easy 7 mile run. Ok, something I need help with. I just got a bike on Sunday (2012 Fuji Aloha), just been doing spin classes up to this point. Other than one water bottle cage, it came with no accessories. I need to get a helmet obviously, but does anybody have a good list of essentials that I should buy for the bike? Thanks!

I would suggest a bike computer and a bento box. You may also need additional bottle holder(s) for those long rides.

2014-12-31 10:35 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black Well, I've decided to do the half IM plan from this here site, starting next Monday. It actually works out perfect for my April 26th race date! Today I'm going to do an easy 7 mile run. Ok, something I need help with. I just got a bike on Sunday (2012 Fuji Aloha), just been doing spin classes up to this point. Other than one water bottle cage, it came with no accessories. I need to get a helmet obviously, but does anybody have a good list of essentials that I should buy for the bike? Thanks!

I would suggest a bike computer and a bento box. You may also need additional bottle holder(s) for those long rides.

Forgot to mention that my Forerunner 920 is scheduled to be delivered today. If I get the cadence/speed accessory for that, will that be good enough?
2014-12-31 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'll echo this.  Get an Edge 500 if you can.  They should be on sale for cheap now, as newer units are released.  It's a really good bike computer that will give you access to way more info than you need at first.

2014-12-31 10:41 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by popsracer

So I'm trying to edit the dashboard in my training log and I'm failing.  I get a blank popup screen with "save" "cancel" at the bottom but it does not allow me to type or copy/paste.  What am I doing wrong?  Does something else need to be enabled?

Are you using IE? And are you on a work computer that is managed by Mordac, Preventor of Information Services?

I have had to do some rouge creative install and configurations on work equipment to get certain things to work.

I don't know what IE or Mordac are but I am on a work computer.  Maybe I'll just wait until I get home and try there.  I suspect that you are correct and there is something here that is preventing me from utilizing my time well.

Sorry, I went into work mode for a bit. IE is Internet Explorer. Mordac is a Dilbert character, generally the reason that computers don't work correctly. Where I work they have tightened everything down in the name of security, sometimes to the point of breaking how stuff works. So, the IT guys are refered to as Mordac on occasions.

Thanks Chris.  When I got home I was able to edit the dashboard.  It was the work computer something or other that blocked me. 

2014-12-31 10:49 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by StaceyK Thank you my friend for the book that arrived in the mail today "Slow Fat Triathlete". Loving it and have got no house work done...but who cares. I never knew this though "bike shorts, helmets, wetsuits and goggles look dorky on everyone, especially if you wear them all at the same time."

Jayne is a friend of mine and an extraordinary lady. That book, as hysterically funny and practical and personal as it is, is just a tiny slice of who she is and what she does.

By the way, the shorts-helmet-wetsuits-goggles look ALL AT ONCE has been done--and not by me! Can't remember which race it was, a 70.3, weather turned bitter and cold very quickly so it was shortened to a sprint distance. The pros simply did the whole race in their wetties for warmth and time saving! There are great pics of this!

Over here it was done at Boise 70.3. Mostly it was the bike that was cut down to like 15 miles or so as they had some snow at the high points. Made for a very odd distance tri. Matty Reed and Trevor Wurtele left their wetsuits on for the bike, but took them off for the run. I think a few women may have done this at another one as well, but Boise stands out as Matty tied at the line with another guy and there was some debate in how to handle it.

Yep, Boise 70.3.  That was my last HIM and it was soooo cold.  Everyone was freaked about the water temps before the race but after shivering for an hour before the start the low 50 degree water actually felt warm.  I'm going back in June to get my revenge.

(reed.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
reed.jpg (7KB - 3 downloads)

2014-12-31 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Boooooom, just crossed 3,000 miles run this year. Just in time, too! And no, I didn't really plan that!

Beast Mode!

3000 miles?

That's it?

Wait ... THAT WASN'T ON A MOTORCYCLE?!

Hot damn, Salty. Hot damn

Yeah how about it?

My cycling goal for the year is to ride farther than Adrienne runs.  :-/

That's a good goal.  It took my combined bike and run miles to keep up with her this year.

Good to see you again Mike.

2014-12-31 11:05 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

If you are talking about the free HIM plan, it is a very well laid out plan and will prepare you well.  There are a few things in it that are kind of odd in my opinion though.  First time through I followed it to the letter but in subsequent years I've loaded it into a spreadsheet and modified certain workouts and rearranged some of the workouts within the week while keeping the overall workload true to the plan.  There used to be a pretty active thread each year for folks following the plan that was very helpful.  In fact, I think a few of the folks here have joined in that fun.  Which race are you doing?

2014-12-31 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Jet Black

Forgot to mention that my Forerunner 920 is scheduled to be delivered today. If I get the cadence/speed accessory for that, will that be good enough?

Yes, that will be good enough.  Maybe not 100% optimal, but it will be good enough.  I'm pretty sure you can get a quick-release mount for the 920, so that you can set it up on your bike directly in front of you.  Another way to use it (as I did for a while with m 310XT, was to face the watch on the inside of my arm, and that worked OK.  I ended up getting a dedicated Edge 500, but the only thing the 920 lacks is screen size for extra data.

Alternately, if you're loaded, get a dedicated bike GPS.  If not, don't worry.

Edited by ponderingfox 2014-12-31 11:15 AM
2014-12-31 11:29 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master

Originally posted by msteiner

I'll echo this.  Get an Edge 500 if you can.  They should be on sale for cheap now, as newer units are released.  It's a really good bike computer that will give you access to way more info than you need at first.

Yes. We picked up a 500 from Performance a couple of months ago for about $150 (with the "optional" accessories). Still have to get the power meter and cadence sensor set up. DH really likes it so far, though.

2014-12-31 11:38 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Yep, Boise 70.3.  That was my last HIM and it was soooo cold.  Everyone was freaked about the water temps before the race but after shivering for an hour before the start the low 50 degree water actually felt warm.  I'm going back in June to get my revenge.

HOLY CRAP! How did you do that for 56 miles?!!

I've taken the day off to do nothing :D I did my trainerroad for the day and I cleaned my office. OFF to the grocery store!

Have a happy (and safe) new years everyone!!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-12-31 11:41 AM

2014-12-31 11:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

HOLY CRAP! How did you do that for 56 miles?!! I've taken the day off to do nothing :D I did my trainerroad for the day and I cleaned my office. OFF to the grocery store! Have a happy (and safe) new years everyone!!

They cut out a lot of the bike course and it was only 15 miles or so. Not 56. That race is split transition and it looked like they made the bike route about as short as they could between the two instead of going up the mountain.

Edited by brigby1 2014-12-31 11:45 AM
2014-12-31 11:48 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Jet Black

Yes, that will be good enough.  Maybe not 100% optimal, but it will be good enough.  I'm pretty sure you can get a quick-release mount for the 920, so that you can set it up on your bike directly in front of you.  Another way to use it (as I did for a while with m 310XT, was to face the watch on the inside of my arm, and that worked OK.  I ended up getting a dedicated Edge 500, but the only thing the 920 lacks is screen size for extra data.

Alternately, if you're loaded, get a dedicated bike GPS.  If not, don't worry.

Has the quick release gotten better? I've heard of the older ones popping off and they were kind of bulky. A lot of people did fine with their 310's and 910's unmodified, so would think this should do just as well. I prefer having an 800 series dedicated to the bike, but seems to be more than most really need or want.

2014-12-31 11:48 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

HOLY CRAP! How did you do that for 56 miles?!! I've taken the day off to do nothing :D I did my trainerroad for the day and I cleaned my office. OFF to the grocery store! Have a happy (and safe) new years everyone!!

That picture was Matt Reed not me.  It was mainly a few pros that cycled in their wetsuits.  I don't think most people even thought of doing it.  The bike leg was shortened to 14 miles.  I was pretty disappointed after training six months for that race to have it shortened.  I've got some unfinished business there.

2014-12-31 11:58 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master

I'm so disappointed right now. It's 39* and dropping, windy and rainy. Woke up with such a craving to take the kids out to the mountain for a hike. After being in the car for two days, and away from our sunny home for 10, I wanted to soak up some happiness. 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55372 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.