Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-01-14 12:33 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Tab usually just wears a headband/ear warmers rather than a full hat due to hair interference.  My hat for temps that are cold but not frigid (0 down to -15 or so) is mostly mesh over the top and warmer around the ears and forehead so it breathes nicely and avoids the cold sweat problem.

2015-01-14 12:59 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I think my biggest issue for dressing for the colder weather is my head....when I wear a beanie, I sweat, and then eventually my head gets really cold.  Unfortunately for me, I have hair that's long enough to be in the way if I don't have something on my head, and too short to actually pull back -- so I have to commit to a hat or a beanie before I leave.  I'm quickly learning that it's hat weather down into the low-30's.

The other stuff -- breathe-able layers, zippers, etc. all seem to be non-issues for me.  And for any run that's not just easy, I'd much rather start out cold and warm up throughout....for easy runs, I tend not to build up too much body heat, with the exception of my head.  I'm apparently a mental case when it comes to all aspects of running

Racing this weekend -- weather looks to be about ideal, in the high-40's to low-50's with no rain (a bit of wind, but nothing excessive).  Probably won't even have to worry about ditching clothes or anything, though a long-sleeved shirt might feel nice for the w/u since they offer a bag drop right before race start. 

What about one of those running headbands that covers your ears so the top of you head can "breathe?" Also, I have found that having a variety of beanies with different thicknesses helps. Some have the reinforced fleece around the headband part and others do not. Also the material they are made out of (wool, synthetics etc.)

I do, no matter what, sweat from my head on my long runs though. My hair is pretty long and really holds in that sweat, too. Even without a beanie. So, that is pretty annoying. 

2015-01-14 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

I think my biggest issue for dressing for the colder weather is my head....when I wear a beanie, I sweat, and then eventually my head gets really cold.  Unfortunately for me, I have hair that's long enough to be in the way if I don't have something on my head, and too short to actually pull back -- so I have to commit to a hat or a beanie before I leave.  I'm quickly learning that it's hat weather down into the low-30's.

The other stuff -- breathe-able layers, zippers, etc. all seem to be non-issues for me.  And for any run that's not just easy, I'd much rather start out cold and warm up throughout....for easy runs, I tend not to build up too much body heat, with the exception of my head.  I'm apparently a mental case when it comes to all aspects of running

Racing this weekend -- weather looks to be about ideal, in the high-40's to low-50's with no rain (a bit of wind, but nothing excessive).  Probably won't even have to worry about ditching clothes or anything, though a long-sleeved shirt might feel nice for the w/u since they offer a bag drop right before race start. 

Yeah beanie would be way to much insulation. I wear a runners ball cap some less vented than other for cold. Balaclava would be first then ball cap for real cold day.

Good luck this weekend!......
2015-01-14 1:35 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I run in shorts year round for the most part. Winter temps here are between the low 20s and 40s for the most part. Obviously your legs warm up quick as they are the muscles being used.

I layer more on my core depending on the actual temp and if there is wind or sun. 

The easiest thing for moderating are accessories like thin gloves, a hat (or toque for team Canada) and maybe arm warmers. So long as you can tuck them in your pocket or whatever. If it's on that lower end, a vest is nice with a thinner long sleeve under. As you get warmer you can roll up the sleeves if need be. 

Most important is to delayer BEFORE you start to sweat. 

Heh, example: 

Good stuff.....

Love that picture and Welcome back Adrienne!

2015-01-14 1:47 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ok training analyst.....

I am doing power intervals 2x a week and I am progressing. This was on the computrainer. So I don't understand why, because I am resting more?

Today's bike workout was a CT ride of 3 x 300+w @8' w/2' ri I averaged 242 watts for the hour and seam fairly ez overall. Don't get me wrong the last few minutes of the 8' intervals where tough. Anyway I was thinking of increasing the weekly workouts to 3x but I am not 100% sure its necessary now. Any thoughts?

2015-01-14 2:07 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri Ok training analyst..... I am doing power intervals 2x a week and I am progressing. This was on the computrainer. So I don't understand why, because I am resting more? Today's bike workout was a CT ride of 3 x 300+w @8' w/2' ri I averaged 242 watts for the hour and seam fairly ez overall. Don't get me wrong the last few minutes of the 8' intervals where tough. Anyway I was thinking of increasing the weekly workouts to 3x but I am not 100% sure its necessary now. Any thoughts?

Those type of workouts generally get best results with ample rest or easy days.  So it is definitely a good thing that your 8' power is going up at this time of the year, with this type of weekly workout structure.  It lays a good foundation for you to build upon later in the season as your workouts tailor more towards your race distance/duration.

Increasing the workouts to 3x a week may be okay depending on what else you are doing with running and swimming, and what exactly your goals are.  I would say 3x a week hard interval training is pretty close to a bike focus as you'll likely be shelled for most of the other workouts during the week.  Push too hard in those other workouts and those bike workouts might start to suffer since you aren't getting as much rest.

Of course the other option is that if the workout seemed manageable overall...up the wattage goals till you feel like 2x a week is enough...  Probably a good idea if you plan to avergae 300w for an IM bike!  Sorry...not going to let you live that down just yet...LOL.  I'm just teasing because I'd probably puke if I did that workout once...let alone 2x a week and thinking about a third.

2015-01-14 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This is the type of in between item I use to keep the ears warm, as that seems to be the only part that gets cold.

And before I hear it from the northerners, yes, I've worn it once this winter 

2015-01-14 2:50 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by BrotherTri Ok training analyst..... I am doing power intervals 2x a week and I am progressing. This was on the computrainer. So I don't understand why, because I am resting more? Today's bike workout was a CT ride of 3 x 300+w @8' w/2' ri I averaged 242 watts for the hour and seam fairly ez overall. Don't get me wrong the last few minutes of the 8' intervals where tough. Anyway I was thinking of increasing the weekly workouts to 3x but I am not 100% sure its necessary now. Any thoughts?

Those type of workouts generally get best results with ample rest or easy days.  So it is definitely a good thing that your 8' power is going up at this time of the year, with this type of weekly workout structure.  It lays a good foundation for you to build upon later in the season as your workouts tailor more towards your race distance/duration.

Increasing the workouts to 3x a week may be okay depending on what else you are doing with running and swimming, and what exactly your goals are.  I would say 3x a week hard interval training is pretty close to a bike focus as you'll likely be shelled for most of the other workouts during the week.  Push too hard in those other workouts and those bike workouts might start to suffer since you aren't getting as much rest.

Of course the other option is that if the workout seemed manageable overall...up the wattage goals till you feel like 2x a week is enough...  Probably a good idea if you plan to avergae 300w for an IM bike!  Sorry...not going to let you live that down just yet...LOL.  I'm just teasing because I'd probably puke if I did that workout once...let alone 2x a week and thinking about a third.

It can be helpful to know just how hard that ride was too, as in relating it to FTP for one way. Each one of us would have a different though on how hard 300 watts for 3 x 8' is for us.

2015-01-14 3:50 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

It can be helpful to know just how hard that ride was too, as in relating it to FTP for one way. Each one of us would have a different though on how hard 300 watts for 3 x 8' is for us.

Yeah, can we reinstate my "talk in terms of %FTP or W/kg" rule again?

2015-01-14 4:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
My last FTP test was 30 Nov 14 a 20” test only

FTP 255

Fred though my FTP was closer to 280 because I use a Computrainer.

Does that help.....?

EDIT

How hard a 7.5 out of 10. Really the only hard part was the last 2 minutes of each 8' interval. HR drifted 165, 168, 173 those last minutes of each 8' interval. My MAx HR is 175 maybe 180

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-01-14 4:53 PM
2015-01-14 4:55 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Well in % of FTP is like 150% if my last tested 20' test was correct @ 255. I think?

2015-01-14 6:29 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTri My last FTP test was 30 Nov 14 a 20” test only FTP 255 Fred though my FTP was closer to 280 because I use a Computrainer. Does that help.....? EDIT How hard a 7.5 out of 10. Really the only hard part was the last 2 minutes of each 8' interval. HR drifted 165, 168, 173 those last minutes of each 8' interval. My MAx HR is 175 maybe 180

If you can do 3 x 8' @ 300w with 2' recovery and not find it too terribly hard then I'd say your FTP has to be in the 290-300 range.

2015-01-14 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by BrotherTriMy last FTP test was 30 Nov 14 a 20” test onlyFTP 255Fred though my FTP was closer to 280 because I use a Computrainer.Does that help.....?EDITHow hard a 7.5 out of 10. Really the only hard part was the last 2 minutes of each 8' interval. HR drifted 165, 168, 173 those last minutes of each 8' interval. My MAx HR is 175 maybe 180
James: I don't get the part about your ftp being 25 watts higher because you use a computrainer. Can you explain that?
2015-01-14 7:30 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by BrotherTri My last FTP test was 30 Nov 14 a 20” test only FTP 255 Fred though my FTP was closer to 280 because I use a Computrainer. Does that help.....? EDIT How hard a 7.5 out of 10. Really the only hard part was the last 2 minutes of each 8' interval. HR drifted 165, 168, 173 those last minutes of each 8' interval. My MAx HR is 175 maybe 180

If you can do 3 x 8' @ 300w with 2' recovery and not find it too terribly hard then I'd say your FTP has to be in the 290-300 range.

It's a wee bit higher than 255. 

Was it the same device measuring each time? Same mode if CT?

2015-01-14 7:31 PM

Master
Northern IL

No

2015-01-14 7:31 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Ryan Mac

Originally posted by BrotherTriMy last FTP test was 30 Nov 14 a 20” test onlyFTP 255Fred though my FTP was closer to 280 because I use a Computrainer.Does that help.....?EDITHow hard a 7.5 out of 10. Really the only hard part was the last 2 minutes of each 8' interval. HR drifted 165, 168, 173 those last minutes of each 8' interval. My MAx HR is 175 maybe 180
James: I don't get the part about your ftp being 25 watts higher because you use a computrainer. Can you explain that?

The 280 was Fred's estimate base on him saying the computrainer being 10% lower than a Powertap. Or something like that. He also know me so he thought my FTP test may have been squed.

2015-01-14 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by axteraa

It's a wee bit higher than 255. 

Was it the same device measuring each time? Same mode if CT?

Yes computrainer I only use it in the winter. I alway calibrate it as well as check tire pressure.

2015-01-14 8:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

No

For a better response to that, I think "no" because there are times the actual power is helpful too. We use the percents to help target in workouts, but we also want the actual numbers to keep going up even though the relationships may stay about the same.

2015-01-15 6:34 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Filled in some of the left side power curve in my workout this morning.  I've always had a gap in the 5s to 1min range but I hit a new 30s peak power that bumped things up in that range.

(cp20150115.png)

Attachments
----------------
cp20150115.png (32KB - 4 downloads)
2015-01-15 7:33 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I've had my FTP in the 250 range in the past - certainly not at the moment, and there is no hope of me doing 8' @ 300+ watts.  That would be an all out 3min effort at best.  Based on your comment that Fred thinks you sqewed the test a bit I think you're going to need to retest at some point, likely with the goal of aiming for a 20min result in the 280/90's range. Have fun...

2015-01-15 8:10 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Originally posted by GoFaster

I've had my FTP in the 250 range in the past - certainly not at the moment, and there is no hope of me doing 8' @ 300+ watts.  That would be an all out 3min effort at best.  Based on your comment that Fred thinks you sqewed the test a bit I think you're going to need to retest at some point, likely with the goal of aiming for a 20min result in the 280/90's range. Have fun...

Both of you could be right here. Just from personal experience, I do 8' 310W intervals, and do them often as one of my go-to workouts, with an FTP of 270. Granted, it's been higher than that before, and I've lost a lot of sustained power since the end of last season (which I am working to get back!). It's another reason I don't give much of a poo about the 8' test being a good proxy for FTP. I can do much different things for 8' than I can for 20', and the things I can do for 20' I can generally do for longer than that. If I start riding right on my FTP, it's not an interesting ride, it's an hour pace, it's not burning matches fast, it's burning them at threshold...as the term implies.
By the way, for a 280 FTP you'll be riding at 295W for 20'. That's different than doing 8' at 300W. A lot different.

2015-01-15 8:54 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

No

For a better response to that, I think "no" because there are times the actual power is helpful too. We use the percents to help target in workouts, but we also want the actual numbers to keep going up even though the relationships may stay about the same.

Hey Ben, while she asked it somewhat in jest, I do think Nicole's request is actually a good one. Yes, of course we all use the hard numbers to perform the workout, but posting "I did x watts for y minutes doesn't mean anything outside of the context of absolute FTP. In James' particular circumstance it is a little different, as he is in some way trying to use these particular efforts to actually determine his FTP. but generally just posting the raw power numbers aren't instructional or illuminating for others since they exist inside a vacuum with no relational context to understand what they mean, or how a particular protocol can be assimilated into another's training and/or testing.

2015-01-15 9:29 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy

No

Hey Ben, while she asked it somewhat in jest, I do think Nicole's request is actually a good one. Yes, of course we all use the hard numbers to perform the workout, but posting "I did x watts for y minutes doesn't mean anything outside of the context of absolute FTP. In James' particular circumstance it is a little different, as he is in some way trying to use these particular efforts to actually determine his FTP. but generally just posting the raw power numbers aren't instructional or illuminating for others since they exist inside a vacuum with no relational context to understand what they mean, or how a particular protocol can be assimilated into another's training and/or testing.

I think that more often than not it probably should be in terms of %FTP as more discussions tend to be about the execution of the workouts. I said "no" and not "never" as the postings should be in context of what the discussion is for. Maybe that didn't come across so well before?

Learning which to use in various types of context can be rather helpful for James.

ETA: My original "no" was kind of teasing back to her. And I do get kind of lost on how hard some workouts are for a number of the crew as I can't quite keep track of everyone's FTP all the time.

Edited by brigby1 2015-01-15 9:32 AM
2015-01-15 9:31 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Asalzwed

What about one of those running headbands that covers your ears so the top of you head can "breathe?" Also, I have found that having a variety of beanies with different thicknesses helps. Some have the reinforced fleece around the headband part and others do not. Also the material they are made out of (wool, synthetics etc.)

I do, no matter what, sweat from my head on my long runs though. My hair is pretty long and really holds in that sweat, too. Even without a beanie. So, that is pretty annoying. 

I've got a hat from Headsweats where it's lined and warm around the outside, and then the middle/inside is just the exterior material without extra insulation. It's the midcap I think?

2015-01-15 9:34 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro

I'm hoping to be a regular here again. Army training is done, so I mostly have my life back.

This may not be a tri year though, it may be a marathon year. I applied for the Army Tri team again, but unless the squad is bigger (which it might be - it's a Military World Games year), I'm out. I did find out that the AZ Guard has a marathon team, and that the time standard is a 4:30 for the women... and that my only competition has a PR of 4:07... I ran a 4:22 in January 2012, and I'm confident that, if trained, I could go 4:00 by the end of Jan 2016.

Ok - back to catching up on the conversation so far

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).