BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-08-30 3:48 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by cdban66

I've been having a short discussion with Janyne on tri-bikes and it got me to thinking. It seems like this particular piece of equipment can cause headaches (or stomach aches) for some that are purchasing, due to $$$, availability, specialization, and any other number of reasons. So, if you had the opportunity to go through the purchase process for your current bike(s), how would you do it? I have a 12+ yr old roadie that is next up for replacement and I have begun thinking through a few things:

• Comfort
  • $$$$$
  • Availability from LBS - Brands they carry are Giant, Jamis and Specialized. If I buy from them, I get an extended warranty and maintenance work for free, which I like. This is the most limiting of the factors in the decision, I think.
  • Disc brakes (I love them on my MTB and am convinced they are going to be everywhere in the near future)
  • Components - I've always had good luck with Shimano, but am not locked in on that.

My last 2 purchases were from my LBS and they seem to be treating me right. The size of my town kind of dictates this one shop scenario, and the only other options are not nearly as viable, due to other factors such as service, price, proximity, etc.

I got my current tri bike- a 2012 P2 when Cervelo had its share the road promotion. Basically, you and a friend buy a bike together and both get $1k off the purchase price. It was a great deal except that most of the LBS would not participate! Only 1 in the Orlando area would, but it required the purchase of at least a p4 level bike.  I had no one I knew who wanted a bike at that time, so through slow twitch I met a guy from the area who wanted to participate. Only issue was he was in Australia for a time! From there he found a store in Clearwater - about 1.5 hours from my house, that would sell us P2s using the promotion. He sent me $ via PayPal - I wrote a contract for us, and I bought the bikes.  He then had a friend pick up his bike. It was quite the process. I assume you'd like something less complicated

i didn't get fit before the purchase which is not something I recommend. It worked out ok, but it is not an ideal fit.  So, for my next bike I will know which bike will be a good fit and go from there. I'm lucky that there are many bike shops in the area and they carry a wide variety of brands.

one thing I will also do when/ if I get a a better road bike is try to find a used bike. I know of a few people who have really scored great deals that way as people buy high end bikes and then decide it isn't for them or have some life change like divorce and just want to get rid of their bike.  

2017-08-30 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I've been having a short discussion with Janyne on tri-bikes and it got me to thinking. It seems like this particular piece of equipment can cause headaches (or stomach aches) for some that are purchasing, due to $$$, availability, specialization, and any other number of reasons. So, if you had the opportunity to go through the purchase process for your current bike(s), how would you do it? I have a 12+ yr old roadie that is next up for replacement and I have begun thinking through a few things:

• Comfort
  • $$$$$
  • Availability from LBS - Brands they carry are Giant, Jamis and Specialized. If I buy from them, I get an extended warranty and maintenance work for free, which I like. This is the most limiting of the factors in the decision, I think.
  • Disc brakes (I love them on my MTB and am convinced they are going to be everywhere in the near future)
  • Components - I've always had good luck with Shimano, but am not locked in on that.

My last 2 purchases were from my LBS and they seem to be treating me right. The size of my town kind of dictates this one shop scenario, and the only other options are not nearly as viable, due to other factors such as service, price, proximity, etc.

Chris you forgot colour!!!

For me going local was important because I'm always going to need someone else to service my bike for me (if he ever gets ridden again).

We have many bike stores in a very easy drive from my work so I did a little experiment and went and "kicked some tyres". There were some stores that hardly acknowledged my existence. The one I purchased from actually wanted my business. They took the time to find out what I thought I was looking for, asked about how I ride, talked me through a number of options, got a bike in for me to test with no obligation for me to buy (the colour was better) and then let me laybuy at sale price.

So I guess for me my list went something like this:
Local
Customer service
Comfort
Price
Colour
Componentry
2017-08-30 6:42 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania

Sorry to interrupt the bike buying discussion because bike buying/shopping is WAY more fun than my question!

For those that do videos/video editing, what is your favorite software for the task?  I have an older version of Windows Live Movie Maker that is no longer supported nor updateable and I can't save an edited snippet of my wheel fiasco from the other week.  It allows me to make it, view it, etc. but not save it, grrrrr.

2017-08-30 7:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I use something named videopad editor (?) and the GoPro client on my laptop. I will double check the name when I get to the laptop.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

There is a free one available for home use, I think I did end up buying the pro version since I wanted some of the additional features. The free one worked great though.

Edited by cdban66 2017-08-30 7:33 PM
2017-08-30 9:12 PM

User image

Expert

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

I bought both of my tri bikes off of EBay, because I'm cheap and the LBS is 1.5 hours away.
2017-08-30 9:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

Fit & performance. Comfort falls into fit, but to me the term limits more to avoiding bad feelings. I would also put in fast, good control, and strong power output.

Performance isn't just fast straight ahead, but considering what the bike is intended to be used for. A tri bike would certainly emphasize that, but a road would also add in some more handling to some degree. Going further onto rougher surfaces adds in tire clearance, shock absorption (not necessarily a shock), and possibly repositioning as straight ahead might not be as high of a priority.

From there I can get a better picture on some other details as the options that work towards that goal become more obvious. It may not be down to one choice, but certainly fewer than before.

2017-08-31 7:53 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I use something named videopad editor (?) and the GoPro client on my laptop. I will double check the name when I get to the laptop.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

There is a free one available for home use, I think I did end up buying the pro version since I wanted some of the additional features. The free one worked great though.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

2017-08-31 10:01 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

FIT FIRST

beyond that, budget and availability.
Maintenance can be done anywhere (although not for free ) and with youtube, you can do lots yourself (and no, I generally don't LOL)

None of those brands excite me for tri bikes - but to each his own. If it fits, go for it. If not, maybe see if there is another brand that they can get. IE: Specialzed and Trek will ONLY sell to their dealers but some other brands will sell to any dealer.
2017-08-31 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

• Fit/comfort and price are the top two for me. I'm including handling in comfort. If it can't get out of it's own way, that's not comfortable, you know?
  • I want to test ride before I buy, if at all possible.
  • Utility is also something to consider. Where are the braze ons for water bottles? Where are the brakes located (I have a really hard time changing one of the wheels on my Felt because the location of the rear brakes.) Is there a place for BTA hydration?
  • If it's ugly, that's an issue as well.

That being said, I have found two bikes that I am interested in test riding. Argon 18 E117 and a Cervelo P2. I think that will be a good start. I have a few other options in mind if neither of these work out. 

2017-08-31 10:28 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

• Fit/comfort and price are the top two for me. I'm including handling in comfort. If it can't get out of it's own way, that's not comfortable, you know?
  • Utility is also something to consider. Where are the braze ons for water bottles? Where are the brakes located (I have a really hard time changing one of the wheels on my Felt because the location of the rear brakes.) Is there a place for BTA hydration?

That being said, I have found two bikes that I am interested in test riding. Argon 18 E117 and a Cervelo P2. I think that will be a good start. I have a few other options in mind if neither of these work out. 

2 women who were part of a ride I dd a couple of weeks ago were on Argon bikes.  I had never heard of them before. They look like really nice bikes.

2017-08-31 12:43 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

2 women who were part of a ride I dd a couple of weeks ago were on Argon bikes.  I had never heard of them before. They look like really nice bikes.

I thought one of my old riding friends had replaced his Trek with an Argon and I messaged him about it. Yes, he has one. I said that I was looking at their tri bike and he said, "Oh, I have an Argon TT bike as well." I said, well, that answers my next question which was would you buy another one!

2017-08-31 1:46 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

I have a friend on an Argon TT. He LOVES it.
2017-08-31 8:48 PM

User image

Expert

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

I have a Cervelo P2. I love it.
2017-09-01 6:16 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

I think of comfort as an overall feeling. I have to agree with Janyne and Ben, handling, braking, acceleration, fit, etc all play a part in comfort. My tri-bike has seating/aero comfort to it, but handling is a bit tricky. My road bike has a much better overall handling feel. I can bunny hop a curb without a thought on one, the other, not so much. But, given that there are not often times when I would need to bunny hop in a triathlon, it's all good. At this point, I am simply considering my options, I probably won't end up doing anything until the roadie is completely done, which shouldn't be for a long while.

2017-09-01 6:45 AM

User image

Hi everybody!

Nothing tri related but a question for the Florida based peeps, thinking of booking Orlando next year and as trying to work out if august weather is ok or too hot and lots of thunder storms? Any advice would be great!

2017-09-01 7:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by tomsimper Hi everybody! Nothing tri related but a question for the Florida based peeps, thinking of booking Orlando next year and as trying to work out if august weather is ok or too hot and lots of thunder storms? Any advice would be great!

Are you thinking of the Parks re: too hot and rainy or too hot and rainy for working out?  If working out, it is hot and humid and we have afternoon t-storms, but I rarely have difficulty getting my workouts in.  I workout in the morning when it almost never is raining, it's still hot and humid, but manageable. Long rides brings me often to late morning/early afternoon and I only had 1 ride where I thought the storms would get me - they didn't.  I have had a couple of pm swims cancelled b/c of the storms.

If you are going to the Parks, i think the same rules apply - go early! It will still be hot and humid out, but you will be in and out of a/c.  You will sweat. Summer is the time the Parks are the least crowded, but they still get plenty of people braving the weather!! Summer is also the time the parks are open late, so once the rains pass you can go back. And, there are lots of water parks and cool hotel pools to help keep you cool.

Let me know if you have any questions!

ETA: I forgot you are from England so our weather will probably be a complete shock to your system! I will say that anytime I fly during the summer I see a ton of your countrymen heading home. They are all sun burned and weighed down by packages ! They look like they've had a great time!

Edited by amd723 2017-09-01 7:10 AM

2017-09-01 8:53 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Originally posted by tomsimper

Hi everybody!

Nothing tri related but a question for the Florida based peeps, thinking of booking Orlando next year and as trying to work out if august weather is ok or too hot and lots of thunder storms? Any advice would be great!

Yes to everything Ann-Marie said!

I'm from Colorado. We have the heat that Florida does, but we don't have the humidity. The humidity makes me melt. However, we get to the parks as soon as they open, take a break in the afternoon to swim, nap, or do laundry, then head back out when it's a bit cooler. We will also brave the rain storms because a lot of people leave the parks during the storms making for shorter wait times.

Signed, a person who is going through huge Walt Disney World withdrawals!
2017-09-01 10:02 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Melon Presser

GO RACING MANATEES!!!

Big long day for me tomorrow (every weekend day is a big long day ... actually I'm in Jakarta, every day is a big long day with curveballs), so, happy trails to all and much love and healing to any DLers.

2017-09-01 10:51 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

September 2-3
Jim - Boyne City Triathlon - Sprint on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Continued good thoughts for our Texas Manatees.
* Sean (east Houston area) has checked in
* Matt (Austin area) has checked in
* Justin (Dallas area) has checked in
* Jonathan (between Houston and Dallas but closer to Dallas) has checked in
* Markus (NE Houston, Cypress to be exact) - sent him a PM on BT. I am concerned about him. The last NWS map that I saw seems to show this area as near flood stage.

I know that both TJ and Lisa will be in Chattanooga on the 24th and that Ann-Marie, Jim, and I will be in Louisville next month (Anne too?). Are there any other upcoming Manatee Meet Ups? I would like to add them as "club events."

2017-09-01 11:02 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

FIT FIRST beyond that, budget and availability. Maintenance can be done anywhere (although not for free ) and with youtube, you can do lots yourself (and no, I generally don't LOL) None of those brands excite me for tri bikes - but to each his own. If it fits, go for it. If not, maybe see if there is another brand that they can get. IE: Specialzed and Trek will ONLY sell to their dealers but some other brands will sell to any dealer.

I had a component failure on the MTB, FSA crankset, which was taken care of via text and a quick drop off with them. So, the LBS/Warranty combo is helpful. The replacement was with a Shimano(?) crankset, so the FSA issue was something Giant knew about.

2017-09-01 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

September 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

* Markus (NE Houston, Cypress to be exact) - sent him a PM on BT. I am concerned about him. The last NWS map that I saw seems to show this area as near flood stage.

I know that both TJ and Lisa will be in Chattanooga on the 24th and that Ann-Marie, Jim, and I will be in Louisville next month (Anne too?). Are there any other upcoming Manatee Meet Ups? I would like to add them as "club events."

Race well Jim.

Stay safe all!

2017-09-01 11:31 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

• Comfort
  • $$$$$

FIT FIRST beyond that, budget and availability. Maintenance can be done anywhere (although not for free ) and with youtube, you can do lots yourself (and no, I generally don't LOL) None of those brands excite me for tri bikes - but to each his own. If it fits, go for it. If not, maybe see if there is another brand that they can get. IE: Specialzed and Trek will ONLY sell to their dealers but some other brands will sell to any dealer.

Not a pro here, but local is important IF I can get a bike that fits. Also a local fitter is importat for me.

2017-09-01 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

September 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

Look at Jim, representing the manatees all by himself! Have a great race!!

Glad to see most of the TX gang is ok and fingers crossed Markus is too!!

2017-09-01 1:28 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

September 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

Best of luck to you, Jim!  Be fast, be safe, and have fun!

TX manatees - glad to hear you are safe although likely dealing with all sorts of fallout from the flooding.  I hope Markus is OK.

Thank you very much for summarizing and posting this, Janyne.

2017-09-01 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

September 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

Race well Jim and have fun.

Great job keeping us up to date as usual Janyne. Thanks we really appreciate it.

Praying that Markus is ok and his communication channels to us are just down at present.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44